speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:43 am

"I suppose, a fair question," Jale replied to Pesky and Ohtar. "Beyond what it is, why it is. It was me, Jale. I did it. How would be difficult to explain. It was in my realm, a place of consciousness and energy, things form and drift. Oh, how I miss that place." Jale realized that his mind, thus his words, had drifted away from the topic at hand. "Apologies. I find this singular way of speaking, your humanoid way, I mean, rather perplexing. Perhaps this is due to...no wait, I am trailing off again. I stated that it was my fault because it was due to me. I was curious to understand things that were beyond my scope of understanding. My master, my former master, was teaching me how to sleep. My people are known as the Mull. Mull are non-corporeal entities. We live in a world of dreaming, and shared dreaming. We like to experience many things, in part to expand our minds, grow our souls. Tried as I might, I could not sleep. I thought that, if I were to enter your world, where sleep occurs at night, I might enter into it. But something went wrong. Your world is falling into blackness, as if it is falling asleep. For this, I have been banished from my realm."

Jale turned to face the room. "Rest assured that my people are working on a solution. My sincere apologies to you all for any inconvenience." He meant well, speaking as he had heard humans speak when having erred. He noticed many puzzling, disbelieving and disagreeable expressions--frozen with shocked eyes and low jaws--gazing back at him.

"What is this nonsense!" burst Gorn, stepping forward. "You put the world to sleep? Our world doesn't sleep, you clown--just we do!"

"Oh." Jale was now more puzzled than ever before. He could imagine many possibilities, but did not wish to be rude, with so many faces looking upon him for answers. "Then it may be, oh it better not be that. Huh." His head turned to one side, contemplative and distracted by emotion. "Hurt blurs my mind. Is this guilt? It's so sharp here. But then, I suppose actions are so literal, in a physical world. Thus, conscience is greater. I suppose it may alter your state quite a bit." Jale was lost in contemplation on the matter.

The dark cloud moved tightly against the windows, blocking all sight through them. Only Night Star's spell was protecting them from being consumed by the Darkness, whatever it was. Until the spell wore off, or the Darkness overwhelmed it, that is.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:29 pm

Night Star was saddened for the poor blue being. How horrible it must be to be trapped in another realm and banished by his own kind. "Jale, you are here and with us now. Maybe between the beings of your world and the ones in ours, we can figure something out." She quickly scanned the room and called out. "Do we have any wizards or anyone with the high knowledge of magic here?"

Voices of concern filled the air as the patrons became aware of their situation. One drunken pair stumbled over near the window. "Bah, you're all crazy, there is nothing wrong here. Fill your glasses, dance and sing!" The two men started to dance and sing, almost falling and reeling with laughter, a most annoying sight and sound when level headed beings were trying to assess the situation. The Inn keeper pulled them by their shirts and dragged them back over to their table. He then proceeded to lock the doors and had men and women gathered together with boards and nails to cover the windows. Night Star didn't even know if her elven powers would be enough to keep away the sleeping darkness, never mind boards and nails, but it made them feel useful at least.

Sky sat crouched by the door, cautious and waiting. "I have combined my own magic with yours my Lady, but I don't think we have much time!"

Pesky with hands on hips, looked to Night Star. "I think the two drunk fellows had the right idea. If we're going to die, we might as well die happy." She started to do a little jig on the table. The Elf glared at her. "We're not going to die, not if any of us can help it! "Jale, can your kind communicate telepathically? Can you contact them? Do you think they would be open to communicating with me or any of the others here?" She felt he would need more time to process everything around him. She didn't mean to overwhelm him by bombarding him with questions, but what else could she do? They needed answers and sooner rather than later.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:28 am

Frustrated Ohtar drew his bearded axe. the blade decorated with a mountain peak the white tips decorated with a white metal engraved into it. "Like it or not Being whatever is out there will soon be in here after all of us. We need answers on what it is and can we defend ourselves if we need to?"
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:00 am

Jale stared at Ohtar for a moment, before replying, raising his hands to discourage the warrior. "Please, do not be alarmed. I am not doing this. I did do this. It is done. Oh, I suppose that is not sufficient for you." Jale lowered his head to one side, reflecting. "Shutters. Chaos. Oh, that's me. Nerves, a humanoid distraction. Clearing my mind, please wait. Yes. Yes, I remember the shift. The moment I entered into dream upon entering your realm, the lights started going out. As I entered this building, darkness consumed it all."

"But WHY?" asked Gorn. His thick, scruffy brows hoisted high in his fat, wrinkled forehead. "How could you put our world to sleep?"

"Your question requires logic," said Jale. "Applied to logic, this does not hold. Unless I...oh dear. Good heavens.." Jale shook his head, slightly low in shame. "Your world would be unaffected by events. Your world does not sleep, you do. So, it is me. I fell asleep. Your world allowed it. I am not used to sleep, being non-corporeal. I did not realize."

"Realize WHAT?" burst Gorn, spit shooting from his lips.

Jale continued, lifting his head to those gathered before him. "It is me. I am asleep. I fell asleep upon entering this place, and somehow you all got swallowed up into my dream. You are all still there, in the inn. None of this is real."

"It feels pretty real to me!" Gorn stomped his foot down hard onto the hardwood floorboards.

"Indeed," said Jale. "My dream is far more detailed in sensory information than yours would be. This is part of being a sensitive being, perhaps." His mind drifted away in contemplation of his being unique in this world.

"Then wake up!" cried Gorn.

"I can't," said Jale. "I lack the knowledge or ability to awaken. Apologies, friends, but we seem to be stuck like this."
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:02 pm

'He is asleep lets wake him up' Ohtar thought then raised his left hand and swung at Jale's head attempting to smack him.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Ariel » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:50 pm

"Can't we just give him some coffee or something?" Asked Pesky. Night Star thought for a moment. "If he is dreaming, coffee would be ineffective." Sky, the winged wildcat was not at all happy about being trapped in some creatures dream world. "Death to the blue being seems a likely solution." Many of the patrons were unsympathetic to Jade's plight and agreed with Sky. Voices were raised both for and against the end to the beings life.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:01 am

I'm very sorry but due to personal reasons I can no longer participate in this magical world. Feel free to continue on without me if you would like. I am sorry but I did not foresee this and it was my intent to carry on with it but due to the situation I am forced to bow out.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:00 am

Jeeez, sorry for the confusion but I am able to return after all! Lots of twists and turns in my life lately, sorry about that! If you guys want to keep writing then I can too! :)
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Talon Sinnah » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:35 pm

I hope everything is ok Neuro. i am able to continue as well. I know I got busy over the holiday weekend and kept me from getting on. I believe it is your turn Neuro

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:49 pm

(Sorry, yes I'm fine.)

Jale was struck by Ohtar's hand. His head lifted aside. For a moment there was dizziness and confusion. Then, pain. There was hurt also from the realization that he was hit. Was he not liked? Had he done wrong? Was he an abomination that deserved to be hit? Jale realized that such feelings were childish. He was new to this world and had a great deal of adjusting to you. He tried to ignore the pain and the many curiosities of it and focused. Hearing the pixie's words he became thoughtful. "Yes, yes. You both have the right idea but the wrong methods. This is not really me. This is a manifestation of me. You see, you...I am sorry, the curious pain distracts me. Physical form is so distracting. Apologies. What was I saying? Oh yes. As you are in my dream state you are speaking to a me in a dream representation of myself. It feels very real to me, as I apparently dream so vividly and even feel pain here, but this is not me in body. I wonder if the real physical form is different. Perhaps pain is worse. Oh, apologies. Yes, I'm afraid the only way for all of us to escape is if you kill me."

"Don't look at me," said Gorn, face flushing. "I-I-I'm a businessman and collector, not a murderer."

Jale smiled, as much as he could with a swollen face. "I will not die. It will be painful, but I will wake up and be fine."

"I get it. Still, difficult to explain..." Gorn winced.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:19 am

Night Star couldn't kill the mysterious being, he was too innocent, too vulnerable and it pulled at her heart strings. "Jale never meant for this to happen, I will stand down and leave another to do what must be done if there are no other choices. Sky the winged wildcat looked around at the gathering crowd. "Jale said himself it is the only way." He looked to Night and saw her shake her head at him. Just knowing the pain would be real for Jale even in his dream state, she decided it would not be her or her companions who would be responsible if there were others who were willing. "It will be another who will do this deed." She looked to the blue being with great compassion. "I wish you wondrous journeys and a good life in your own realm."

Pesky the little Pixie sighed. "wherever you go, whatever you do after being here. Do not think unkindly of us." She fluttered over to sit on Night Star's shoulder and hid behind the curtain of the Elf's long silken blond hair.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:28 pm

If he knew it would have been that easy he would have let with it. Grasping his axe with both hands he looks Jale in the eyes. "Godspeed Jale. Know this was always going to be my last resort." Then swings his bearded axe neck level to Jale

(I'll be the one to Take the bait Neuro :twisted: )

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories