speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Loxley » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:01 am

The next morning, Arden woke up with a hangover from the night's drinking. Though he was used to it, he was slow in moving himself down to the inn's feast hall, where he met with Greyhawk and the puppy, who were already eating their breakfast. Groaning from his headache, he rubbed his forehead as he sat down to have some food. Greyhawk looked at him and couldn't help but grin at his captain's pained appearance.

"The Gods' vengeance...", he said. Arden looked up at him curiously.
"Come again?"
"A hangover. It is the vengeance of the gods for our sinful lives."
"Bah. If the gods didn't want us to drink ourselves into a stupor each night, then they should've meade me a choir boy, not a mercenary. It's the only way to handle all the deaths..." He looked almost miserable for a moment, thinking about all of it, but then his face lightened up and he said: "Well, today it's time to begin our hunt... I don't think there'll be a problem tracking the caravan." He emptied a glass of beer in trying to remedy his hangover, then began to eat of the food.

After about an hour, the three finally left the inn. As they stepped outside, Arden touched the ground and watched the tracks, and after a moment, he nodded to himself and began to move northwards, with an almost excited smile on his lips.

Though his head was still hammering like a war drum.
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby waytanblee » Mon May 19, 2008 10:56 pm

Lucius wondered into the Jaded Wayfarer Inn and found the bulletin board. It was covered in wanted posters and notices of people offering their services. He pinned his own advertisement onto the thin layer of cork.

Apprentices master needed. Bounty hunter/Assassin.

Experience: Buccaneer for 5 years off the coast of Kiruhit.

25 year old half demon. Hard worker. Will be staying in the Jaded Wayfarer's Inn for one month.

On his shoulder sat a raven. Jester. A bird which was his familiar. He swore at times it was a guardian spirit which inhabited its body. It had never needed any domestication or any type of wooing. It hadn't aged either, which was something that Lucious had decided must be very rare in a bird. But he was glad of the company, and glad of the secretive whispers of warning it would sometimes give him when there was danger about. Right now, it cleaned its beak in his oily hair. No danger. That was good. It was no secret that half demons were hardly ever trusted. Even his own mother had kicked him out because of the mistrust and spite that he'd procured in the town for no other reason than his appearance and his black eyes.

He'd thought they'd looked like puppy-dog eyes, cute in their large pupil appearance. But he'd since learned of the harsher realities of life and surmised that those who'd lived to remember the colour of his eyes felt nothing but fear of them.

Strolling over to the bar he sat down and gave a warm smile to the barman.

"A glass of port, please."

"Certainly, sir." The barman smiled warmly back.

Lucious decided, with the certain feeling that his luck was finally changing, that he was going to like this place. Here, among the warriors and vagabonds of Lycoria, he'd finally found a home.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby tiriel » Thu May 22, 2008 7:13 am

Kit Mallory entered the inn. No one saw him. No one ever did. That was his skill, that was his talent. That was what kept him alive.

Kit, as an assassin, didn't bother with the usual trimmings and frills that your usual mercenary did. He didn't wear the typical uniform of a spy or a ninja, didn't carry a weighty sword. Kit was an assassin. He needed to be able to blend into any situation, don a character and act as if that was who he'd been his entire life. A cook, a soldier. Anyone. Secrecy was central to the art of assassination. And Kit was the best.

He sat at a chair at the back with a nod to the barman, his informant. He sat in a different chair each time he visited the Jayded Wayfearer Inn, for if he didn't it would be too easy for potential threats to arise from someone tracking his habits. Some of his collegues didn't see it this way, but Kit was the best. And he owed it to himself to stay that way.

By the pool table, a half demon played darts with a bunch of mercenaries. In the corner, lit softly by candle light, a minstrel and a lute player serenaded the clientele. The bar man brought him over his usual glass of gin.

"Good afternoon, sir."

"Good afternoon, bar man." He took a sip and bought out his tin of tobacco. "Any news?"

The barman pointed over to the bulletin board and Kit saw it:

Apprentices master needed. Bounty hunter/Assassin.

Experience: Buccaneer for 5 years off the coast of Kiruhit.

25 year old half demon. Hard worker. Will be staying in the Jaded Wayfarer's Inn for one month.

It took all of his strength to keep from striding right over there and tearing it into little pieces. stupid boy. He'd remove it when it was quieter, later on tonight. But for now his drink was waiting. And he wouldn't keep it.
I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.
— Oscar Wilde
tiriel
New User
New User

Postby waytanblee » Fri May 23, 2008 6:10 am

Lucius woke and washed his face. When he went down to the foyer, he looked at the bulletin board, only to find that his message had been removed.

A voice spoke out.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby tiriel » Sun May 25, 2008 6:26 am

"Boy."

It was too dark to see his face, but there was a man sitting on a chair in the corner with his hood drawn about his face.

"Over here."
I have spent most of the day putting in a comma and the rest of the day taking it out.
— Oscar Wilde
tiriel
New User
New User

Re: Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Postby shane_lxi » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:27 pm

(My Character is named Phorces. He is a young human man of about 20 with a close cut head of dark brown hair, and a deep whip scar running vertically from the top of his head, down the left side of his face, which would expose and empty eye socket, were it not covered with a make-shift eye patch fashioned out of an old rotten clothe. Currently he is wearing the stolen, ill-fitting, and very shabby garb of an Orc. A warn and battered sword breaker hangs from his belt, not his weapon of choice but the only thing currently available. Everything about the young man suggests inexperience and fear. Stolen from his home in Dorhoc about 8 years ago, he'd been traded among "noble" houses in Neselden as a slave ever since. Recently, while being transported by caravan to his new master's castle, he managed to kill the Orc driving his carriage, and used his dagger to cut the rope that bound him and his cage together, and borrowed the clothes worn by the Orc. He managed to free three other's too, but they, unfortunately, died on the way out of the forsaken kingdom. He'd stolen a few things along the way out of necessity, a small woman's purse with about 4 silver peices, and the sword breaker he now brandishes. Phorces is now looking to start anew and wash any connection of him to Neselden away. If asked he will simply claim amnesia.)

A shabby looking one eyed young man stumbles into the inn. He looks obviously down on his luck, and scared as hell. His physique is that of someone once muscular that has since lost any strength he once had. His current boney and pale look leaves him looking a bit, unhealthy.

The barkeep looks obviously upset at the young man's sudden arrival in his pub, but decides to see what would come of this new arrival.

"Do you have any water?" Croaks the young man as he limps toward the barkeep. "I've been traveling for a long time, and my cantene, sadly, went dry days ago"

The Barkeep looks the boy, quickly, up and down, before dipping a gourd into a small barrel of water next to the cash box. Taking note of the new-comers quick glance toward the locking mechanism on his cash box.

"Water's free... but don't expect to get too much courtesy from me ordering water all night. You plan on staying the night?" The Barkeep asks, scooting the lock box a little closer in an exaggerated motion.

Phorces took a quick and hard gulp of his water. The water, hitting the back of his dry throat, felt like it was going to come right back up, and burned his chest the whole way down, like a large round lump of hot coal sinking into his stomach. He thinks for a second, and slowly takes up his green and white purse crusted with shabby glass jewels to peek inside. Four of his original eight stolen silver coins still remain.

"Do you have a stable I might be allowed the courtesy to stay in? I'm short on cash right now, I've actually arrived looking for work, but it may be some time before the opp..."

"I've got a stable in the back, there's hay for padding if you are interested. Twenty-five Ferros, you can stay for a week on that. I expect you'll be ordering a drink as well, something with flavor or spirit?" He eyes Phorces again, distrustfully.

"Of course, I'll take a pint of your cheapest ale if it pleases you, and here's a silver to cover the next two weeks." The boy says, passing one more piece of his quickly depleting supply of booty. "One more thing, do you mind passing my name to anyone looking for a laborer?"

The Barkeep eyed the boy once more before answering. "Name?" is all he says in reply, filling a pint jar with some yolowy-pale ale, and passes it to Phorces.

"My name is Phorces. I very much appreciate your help!" He says with a difficult smile. Taking the jar of bitter-looking ale from the Barkeep, and taking a quick swig. yup... bitter.

"Stable's out back." The Barkeep says, jerking a thumb up at a door near the back of the room.

Phorces stays for a few minutes, long enough to finish his pint. All sorts of folk eye him from various cliques scattered about the room. He wonders if anybody would recognize him from Dorhoc, but figures the odds were slightly in his favor for once. He suddenly felt optimistic for the first time in a very very long time. This was going to be a good thing in a series of very very bad things in his life. He gathers up what little effects he possesses, and makes his way out the back door to his "room".
shane_lxi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby waytanblee » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Kit and Lucius were tieing up their horses, back from another mission. There was a man asleep in the hay.

"Hello," said Lucius and waited for a reply.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby shane_lxi » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:27 pm

"Hmmpph" grunts Phorces as he labors to open his eyes, rolling over to get a better look at the newcomers, and to increase his chances of escape if they are ill-willed.

He's been staying in the barn for a few weeks now, and has managed to land a few odd jobs here and there. He's earned enough coin to get himself a half decent leather tunic, and was given a decent pair of clothe breeches and leather work boots for a day of hard labor on a farmhouse down the road. The sword breaker he had when arriving at the inn still hangs a few feet from where he sleeps, but he has since afforded himself an old but sound katana, which lay only a few inches out of reach, next to his thick black winter cloak.

"Hello, and good morning travelers. Have you brought news from abroad?" asks Phorces, waiting for a reply, like always, before asking for work.
shane_lxi
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Loxley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:57 pm

The wind was howling outside, and rain was smattering against the exterior of the inn. A storm was coming, and the black-clad wanderer, his head covered from the cold wind and the rain by the black hood of his cloak, hurried towards the door leading to the warm comfort of the inn's interior. When he opened the door inside, howling winds disturbed the clientele that had settled inside, and the torches and fires flickered. But only for a few moments, as soon the door fell heavily closed again with a thud behind the man, effectively shutting the howls of nature out.

Roe the Black pulled the hood of his cloak down, revealing his rough but handsome face, complete with scars on the lower side of his jawbone, and short-cut black hair. His eyes were blue as ice, cold and calculating. With his piercing gaze he surveyed the great hall of the Jaded Wayfarer Inn, before he, as all guests that came to the inn eventually did, approached the bar. There was bustling activity due to the raging storm outside, and the inn keepers were all working hard with providing for their guests. Roe didn't mind to wait. He removed his black-bladed chokuto, placing it against the bar next to him as he sat down on a stool.

Soon, a bartender approached him. It was a large orc, but surprisingly for his race, with well-groomed plaited hair and friendly eyes. A scar across his nose, and the way he moved, showed that he was no stranger to neither war nor bar brawls. Even so, he exchanged friendly words with several of the patrons on his way over, laughing and joking with them as he did. He was very atypical of his race, but served to put them in a positive light as well. Roe watched him with silent interest as he made his way over, and an expression of recognition spread on the bartender's face.

While wiping the bar in front of Roe with a rag, he addressed him in fluent human tongue with a surprised tone:
"Roe! Long time, no see. Tell me, what's your poison, my dark-clad friend?"

Roe replied:
"Warm food, and some hot sake, old friend."
"It might take some time. Would you like a drink while you're waiting? It's on the house, for old times' sake." Roe shook his head, and the orc left to arrange for his order. Contrary to his initial promise, the order didn't take long to prepare, and soon, he placed a plate of warm food, and a mug of hot sake in front of Roe, who sipped it with a satisfied nod. "So, what brings you here?" Orkonga the Bartender asked. Roe looked up at him and his face turned into a slight smile, but there was a cold bitterness hidden in it.

"Besides the rumors? I wanted to see for myself, find out for myself how my old friend could have abandoned his pride as a martial artist, to serve drinks at a rat nest like this." He said, cynically. Orkonga chuckled, continuing to wipe the bar disk as he talked to the black-clad swordsman.

"As always, you pull no punches, old friend."
"I would not insult your pride as a martial artist by showing you mercy." Roe retorted with cynical wit and humor in his voice. "Have you truly abandoned your life as a manslayer for this...life?"

"Ha! You're just like your old self, still thinking the sword is the only way to bring peace." Orkonga raised his hands and gestured at the bustling inn surrounding them. "As hard as it might be to believe, though, old friend, I'm happy living my life as a humble bartender here. Hot sake is so much more pleasant than warm blood. It is peace of sorts. But what of you? Still the wandering manslayer, trying to destroy evil, are you?" Roe offered a shrug, and a smile.

"Nobody can tame the Last Wolf of Mirabon, my old friend. I will never abandon my pride as a manslayer." He replied. Orkonga nodded at his words, knowing the truth they carried. Soon after, the orc was called away by another customer, leaving the swordsman alone with his food.

(OOC: Ok, folks. I've got a loose idea for a reasonably short but hopefully exciting roleplay, side by side with "Celtic". I just really got an urge to play some Lycoria again. Hope some of y'all are up for it. It could be fun. ;) )

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 am

Aree stepped inside, relieved to be out of the rain. Un-pinning the jeweld clasp at her neck, she shook her cloak of the excess water. A few burly men whistled as she swept passed them. Her thin form in snug leggings tucked inside her boots and the feather light fabric of her blouse complimented her well.

Gracefully, Aree sat beside Roe and ordered a drink thankfull that no one here would know her.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:59 pm

Roe looked sideways to the newcomer, but soon turned his attention back to his food and drink. Orkonga walked past him up to the woman, wiping the bar disk as he looked at her and gave a friendly smile that showed the wrinkles in the corners of his eyes when he smiled.

"Welcome to the Jaded Wayfarer, dear lady. What can I get you?"

For the third time in the evening, the door opened, letting in the howling wind and rain from the storm raging outside. Stepping in was a cute young girl in her late teens, wrapping a forest green cloak tightly around her. Under it she had a colorful dress of red, blue and gold, which seemed to hold some cereomial purpose. It came with a short sword, and several feathers and pearls, and other trinkets woven into her beautiful auburn hair. She looked lost for a moment before she wandered up to the bar.

As she sat down next to another woman, she warmed her hands against one of the lights on the bar while ordering some hot food from one of the bartenders. As rain dripped down her face, her shaking hands slowed down, and her breathing steadied itself. As she looked around at the guests, she couldn't help but wonder if she would find the aid she was seeking here among the strong warriors visiting the inn.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:23 am

Aree turned to the young lady who was clearly distressed and smiled. "Something troubles you, that much I can see." Aree's long dark hair glistened in the soft light of the tavern. "I have travelled long and far and have seen much. This I know, it is very dangerous for a young woman to travel alone. May I ask what brings you here?" For all she knew, the young lady could tell her it was none of her business, or ignore her altogether, but Aree had dealt with all kinds and was prepared for anything.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories