speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Jaded Wayfarer Inn

Postby Loxley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:19 am

(OOC: Hey, Ariel, sorry for the delayed reply. I'll make one tonight, pinky promise. :wink: I'll also see if I can drag Amber into this as well. )
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Ariel » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:30 pm

(ooc) You lied! :shock: Bad boy! Bad, bad, bad! Leave the young ladies alone and get your butt in here. :lol:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 am

(OOC: Sorrysorrysorry! Can I blame real life? :lol: Well, I'll try to post today or tomorrow, promise. ;) )

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Loxley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:43 pm

Primula looked at the woman, and offered a smile, although a hesitant one.
"Oh, no, not at all, my lady. I'm just...cold from the rain." She let out a sneeze as she gobbled down the warm food the bartender had brought her. "Actually..." She added, all the while hungrily wolfing down the food. "I'm here looking for warriors." She looked back at the woman, realizing she had talked with her mouth full. Blushing, she pushed away the food, and said: "Excuse me, my lady. I - my name is Primula. As I said, I'm here looking for sellswords to help my village. We are beset by demons, I'm afraid, and are in need of swordsmen."

Roe shifted his weight as he heard the young girl speak. Even though he didn't try to eavesdrop, he was close enough to hear it without any effort. He exchanged a glance with Orkonga, who offered a simple shrug in return.

"Demons..." Roe muttered to himself, but apparently the girl heard him as she looked up at him.

"Y-yes..." Primula stuttered at the sight of the cold man. "A-are you a swordsman?"
Roe didn't reply. Instead, he sipped his ale thoughtfully. Orkonga gave a recognizing smile to him, a smile that the silent swordsman ignored.

"What of you, my lady? Are you a warrior? Can you help me?" Primula asked Aree when she was ignored by the swordsman.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:52 am

"I am a warrior when necessary, yes." Aree was perplexed by the sword wielding battle plan. "I'm sorry Primula, but I have never heard of demons being fought by the sword. Perhaps a bit of magic would be helpful and a lot of luck." She smiled and accepted the challenge without reservation. "I'm always one for a good challenge. Yes I will help you, but tell me, when did this begin and how have you escaped harm until now?"
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:56 am

Primula bit her lip for a bit.
"There is a demon lord plaguing our village. A demon swordsman of ancient wars, who's forged an army of lesser demons around him. It has attacked our villagers on numerous occasions already. We sent out warriors to find out who was killing our people, but..." She bit her lip again. "They didn't return. People said they saw demons wander the moor that night. It was a man, a dark and sinister man, with great, black wings and eyes glowing with evil." Her hand shuddered at the thought.

"Our village elder sent me here to find strong warriors that could help us. Our village is a village of warriors, but even our strongest could defend easily against the demons. Our Elder talked to the Spirits and asked them for council. They said that we would find our rescuer in "the inn at the crossroad, for weary wayfarers". So I left in the morning by horse, and came here unscathed. It was by mere luck that I found this inn." She showed a nervous smile, and added: "Forgive me. My Elder says there is no luck, onyl Fate."

"That's a foul story, young lady." Orkonga said, leaning against the bar next to the two ladies. "As the lady says, you might need more than just warriors to defeat such a creature." He threw a side-glance at Roe, and added: "Well, if you want warriors, though, there's plenty of them in here."

"Are you speaking of yourself, barkeep?" Roe muttered under his breath, as he sipped his sake. "You retired for a reason. You can't fight demons with your reputation alone."

"I wouldn't deprive you of the pleasure of doing it." Orkonga smirked. "I know you're itching to go with the two ladies. Or have you forgotten the creed of the Manslayers? "Slay evil immediately". You who pride yourself with the title of the last Wolf of Mirabon should be first in line to protect the weak." Roe looked up and gave a cold smile to his friend.

"You're forgetting yourself, old friend. The Wolves of Mirabon doesn't and never did exist to protect the weak. They exist to slay the wicked, without failure, mercy or remorse." He emptied his sake, and shrugged. "Well, I suppose it is just as well. My Ember has been thirsting for battle for quite some time." He looked down at his straight chokuto blade, and then at Primula.

"I will not protect you. I will protect the peace of the lands by following the creed of the Wolves of Mirabon, and slay the demon warrior." He looked at the young woman next to her, and added: "I'm not about to turn down assistance from a magic user. If the two of you are ready, we leave immediately. I have no wish to waste any time." As he spoke, he attacked the sword to his belt.

(OOC: Sorry for the veeeery late reply, Ariel. >_< I've been busy as hell with the military job applications lately.)

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:59 am

Aree downed the last of her drink, got her cloak and clasped it around her throat. She stood at the door. "Well...what are we waiting for?"
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 am

Roe offered a nod as he picked up his pack.

"Then we leave." He said. "You should stay here where you're safe, woman." He added towards Primula. She frowned and shook her head hard.

"No! I'm going with you. My village is my home, and the villagers my family. I'm not going to sit here and be safe while they're in danger!"

"Do as you wish." Roe snorted as he forced the door open and stepped out into the cold, harsh weather outside.

(OOC: I'll start the new thread later today, or if you want to, do start it, Ariel. ;) )

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Neurolanis Returned » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:57 am

(My first character is OSGORN, a fat Dwarf merchant with long bushy red hair, donning a green leather overcoat and a sparkling silver vest. He carries a rather large and heavy bag on his back, always afraid to discard any items he owns and preferring to bear pain and discomfort over long journeys over throwing something away. He also fears thieves stealing his more precious goods if left behind. He is friendly but grouchy, often taking out his frustrations of travel out on people through sub-conscious pettiness. He is a local, frequenting the Jaded Wayfarer Inn but always staying out of trouble, until now.)

(My second character is JALE, a mysterious figure from the non-corporeal realm of Nutas. His body is transparent, a blurry figure of glowing blue crystal-like form, although appears more solid when viewed from a distance. The glow is stronger by night and radiates everything around him. By day, the effect is troubling to the eyes and his appearance has a tendency to give people headaches or dizzy spells while trying to look at him and not through him. There is an electrical field to his body, as with any biological body, which allows him to interact with physical objects, or to be harmed by them. No clear features on his face or body are visible. Jale lacks a specific ego form--a mental centre--and instead is a collective of various intuitions, instincts, thoughts, feelings, memories and sensations. He is difficult to understand but means no harm to anyone.)

Osgorn entered the Jaded Wayfarer Inn as he usually did, his heavy travelers bag--heavy and drooping from being over-stuffed--pulling at the straps against his shoulders. He approached the bar, sitting up on one of the lower stools as he removed his bag and sat it over the bar. "An ale, old friend." The innkeeper obliged. "Damn Elvin traders got me again," he groaned, after a sip. "Those cheapskates sold me some fine Elvin fabrics but the appraisers tell me it's below standard. I'll barely make a single tawny for the bother!"

"What do you do with all your tawnies anyway?" asked the innkeeper.

"Building another barn for my goods. I still plan on finishing my collection of fine Shuvon axes--the 'art set,' crafted by the finest Dwarfs of the last age! I am short on nearly the Shadekiller, the long-handled axe that's much like a scythe but for its double blades. I got well-heeled Dwarfs visiting me from many miles to see my collection. My brother Ulthar is jealous! Ha! Made me a bet for seven tawnies that I'll never find the Shadekiller, or afford it when I do! The *beep* might be right: the more value I acquire the more guardwolves I have to get! They'll be overrunning the place!"

"Not that I want to lose you as a customer or as a friend, but have you considered getting a fine brick mansion in a large city, someplace secure with city walls and where guards can help protect your property?"

"Bah!" Osgorn nearly spit his ale out. "You know the taxes for them places? Plus the guards are all crooked! You gotta BUY their loyalty!" In truth, Osgorn didn't wish to live in a mansion which would pale by comparison to far larger, wealthier ones. Out here, he was a big fish in a small pond. He liked it that way.

The door opened and a glowing blue figure entered. The man walked to a window and peered out. His manner was discrete, but he was afraid of something. The innkeeper stared at him, worried that that he might be a fugitive. All the faces in the tavern looked to him, many of them appalled or baffled by the sight of the bizarre creature. As he'd only just arrived and started drinking his ale, Osgorn was the last seated at the bar to turn around for a look. His eyes widened with alarm and he grabbed onto his bag with both arms. A see-through man seemed to Osgorn like a good way to thieve. He might have been a thief under some sort of invisibility spell that was wearing off. Yet, Osgorn said nothing to the stranger. His bulging blue eyes did the talking for him.
Neurolanis Returned
New User
New User

Postby Ariel » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:11 pm

Slowly the leaves swirled down upon the earthen floor. It was the Season of the harvest where woodland colors and cool winds came alive. Night Star the woodland Elf travelled with her companion Sky, a large black wildcat with rainbow colored wings. They travelled the well worn path toward the Jaded Wayfarer's Inn when suddenly a small pixie appeared hanging from the branch of a nearby tree. "You're not going in there are you? The Jaded Wayfarer's Inn? There are many characters that enter there and they aren't always...pleasant." Night Star looked up at the spikey red haired little pixie. "We've nothing to fear little one. I have been trained by the high guard of the Kingdom of Alandias. I have also trained in the secret library of magic in both the light and dark arts. My name is Night Star and this is my companion Sky.

The little pixie stared at the majestic winged wildcat. "What is that?" she asked. Sky cocked his head to the left and eyed the little pixie. "I am a creature that could kill you with ease, but you pose no threat so I shall leave you be. I have magic of my own as well as razor sharp teeth and claws. You need not worry about where we go or what we do." The little pixie grinned. "I am Pesky and I think I should follow along. You know, in case you need me, because you might ya know."
Both Night Star and Sky burst into laughter. "You find something amusing?" she asked the pair. Night Star bit her lower lip trying not to laugh again. "My apologies Pesky, I find you quite brave and we are honored by your offer of accompanying us." "Yes." added the winged wildcat. Most brave indeed, yet I fear it is you that will be needing us and not the other way around." Pesky rolled her eyes. "Don't be so sure about that Mr. cat bird or whatever you are. Oh and...never mess with a pixie!"

Night Star looked at the winged wildcat. The winged wildcat looked at Night Star. They both shrugged and headed to the Inn. Before entering, Sky explained that he would be nearby. He spread his wings wide and flew off ever so gracefully into the velvet, starlit sky. The elf opened the heavy wooden door of the Inn, removed her cloak and took a table in the farthest corner of the busy room. She ordered the finest elven wine and a meal for herself and her new found friend.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:17 pm

(Ohtar: A 6'5 300 pounds of muscle 35 year old Rolc with black hair in a long braid and olive colored skin with a scar running from forehead to chin through his left eye. He is wearing a winged serpent coiled around and downward pointed sword decorated steel breast plate with sturdy leather armor trousers and heavy black boots. A winged banded helmet that protects his temples and nose bridge sits atop his head. A large long sword rest comfortably on his right hip and on his back a large sinister looking bearded axe is strapped. A dark green traveling cloak finishes off his wardrobe.)

Ohtar stepped off the carriage and tossed a coin to the driver. He had never liked the idea of paying for a ride when a perfectly good horse was readily available but unfortunately mountain lions found them be just as good a lunch. As the carriage left in the night Ohtar turned to the inn the driver suggested and saw what seemed to be a side entrance. With a snort he adjusts his cloak and axe and rests his hand on his sword pommel and leisurely walks toward the establishment.

Stepping through the door it was a lot less busy then he would have originally thought as all eyes were on the transparent blue figure standing near the front window. Gritting his teeth he grasped the sword hilt then scanned for a corner to place his back in just case the worst broke out.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Ariel » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:11 pm

It was evident that the Inn was familiar with beings of every kind. As Night Star and Pesky were served, the little pixie was given her food in a tiny plate with tiny silverware and a tiny cup to easily eat and drink from. They began to relax as they drank their wine. "Have you seen some of the beings in here?" asked Pesky. "Over at the bar is a fat dwarf who probably never even heard of a thing called a comb. Look at his traveling bag! He certainly isn't traveling light. What does he have in there anyway, dragon treasure? He's a cranky thing from the looks of him." Staring at the strange and mysterious blue being, her eyes widened. "What...is...that?"

Night almost spit her wine out. "Pesky, hush, you can't judge beings and creatures by their looks alone. Try not to draw attention to us." Pesky, still wide eyed with wonder kept staring. "But...what the hell is that thing? You can see right through him...er, it!" Night tried to stifle a laugh, but snorted. "I don't know, I've never met one of his kind before. Now eat and please be quiet before you get us killed." She took a bite of meat and sipped at her wine when she noticed Pesky staring with her eyes even wider than before. "Now what?" she asked.

"Oh my great creator, you have to see what just walked in!!!!! He's HUGE and looks like he could kill you with a simple glance! Looks like he's been in a war or two...or ten. Now tell me that doesn't look scary!" Night turned to see the being who entered. She took another sip of wine and started to feel giddy. "Well that is interesting now isn't it?" She giggled. "Pesky, you have to calm down. You can't be afraid of every little thing, or big thing, or strange and mysterious or cranky things if you are to travel with me. What happened to your bravery anyway?"

Pesky stood on the table with hands firmly planted on her hips. "I never said I was afraid, just that he looks scary is all."
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories