speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Ancient Darkness: The Experiments

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mr_D » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:00 pm

Vergil watched the interrogation keenly, though his face remained masked by an impassive expression. Sath had many qualities that would make him a valuable asset to the cause.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:26 pm

"We were allied with men you killed previously," he said. "Our leader ... has sworn to avenge his brother Junkin, a major who died during your previous conflict."

"Tell me about him," said Hashin. "Where is he? How many men does he command?"

"Hundreds, here and there," said the man. "They are scattered, looking for you. Dhalmirn ... he rides among them. We wears wolves' fur, and the bones of his greatest rivals, painted black, to symbolize their departure into the Land of the Dead. He is a fearless shaman, a once wise man, driven mad by the loss of his parents during a war with Minotaurs years ago. And now, his brother ... Dhalmirn who hunt you down, and he will kill you ... there is no stopping him."

Fear dwindled in Sir Sath's eyes as the word 'shaman' was uttered. Like 'mage' or 'Imperator', it spoke of forces beyond mortal understanding. It was said only a shaman could slay another shaman, and even then it was rare would fall unless he allowed himself to die.

The knight kept his proud chin, and looked with solid eyes back upon the trembling captor. "You fear him more than me," he remarked.

"Yes," said the man with dark eyes. "He will kill me ... and it won't be a quick and painless death. My fate is as sealed as yours. Unless you can keep him distracted enough."

"Then I propose that you and your friends hurry away to the west and south," said Sir Sath, looking about. "That way, one or more of us might escape him."

"Oh, I THANK you!" said the man, kissing the knight's feet.

"Wait," said Sir Sath. "Is there anything more we should know. I see it in your eyes -- sleek!"

The man lowered his head and closed his eyes. "Yes ... Dhalmirn ... the wolf shaman, he is known ... for he can take on the form of a wolf if he chooses, or a crow, eagle, or bear. He can hide himself in the wind if he chooses ... he can enter into your sleep and kill you in your dreams, he can drive you insane -- these he can do from afar. There is no escaping him ... he sees miles around."

"Then why can he not find us?" said Sir Sath.

The man rose his eyes to him. "He is overcome with grief, too angry to see clearly. Soon his drive to kill you will uncloud his mind, and he will find you --"

"And kill me, yes I know," said Sir Sath. "If it is time for an old knight to die, then so be it."

"You sound brave now," said the man. "You won't when he finds you."

Sir Sath turned to Vergil. "Do you have any questions for this man?"
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:35 pm

"None whatsoever." Vergil said.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby FantasyMan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:05 am

Xin sat down with a puzzeled look and pondered over what he had just heard.
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Neurolanis » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:09 pm

Sir Sath sheathed his sword. "Then, leave."

The man hurried to his feet, glancing at his friend as he did they same. They both started running in the directions which the knight had dictated.

Sir Sath turned to his friends. "So, this Dhalmirn wants us dead. If he's as powerful as that man claimed perhaps we should seek him out, confront him head on, on our terms. Either that, or run for it."
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:11 pm

"I would, but I have more important matters to attend to." Vergil said.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby FantasyMan » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:42 pm

"Well if thats the way you are going to be, make with the poof and just leave us again why don't you!" Says Xin in a sudden outburst.
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Neurolanis » Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:24 pm

"We can hardly face him without you," agreed Sir Sath, bitter but sounding calm.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:01 am

Vergil smiled.

"I fear that time grows short. In the north an enemy rises the likes of which has not been seen for many a year. It was for this reason that I returned here.As you can see, I have not been idle." He said. Around them the army began to regroup and soldiers were discussing the battle and its spoils.

"I came here to ask you. Will you join me?" The wind blew lightly, stirring Vergil's golden locks about him, his cape billowing behind.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:53 pm

"Neseldin?" said Sir Sath wide-eyed, then hearing a voice in the wind. "What evils are coming upon this world?"
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:00 am

"So you know of it already?" Vergil said. "Then you know that my leaving is of great importance."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Neurolanis » Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:23 pm

"Then why haven't I heard about it before?" asked Sir Sath. "What is happening?"
Last edited by Neurolanis on Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories