speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Orceth Side Adventure

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Orceth Side Adventure

Postby Raye » Tue Jul 05, 2005 1:56 pm

Hi!

This was a side adventure to "the Tomb of Orceth" adventure.

It has been finished, but other adventures are currently in progress.

Thanks!
"Romance is dead - it was acquired in a hostile takeover by Hallmark and Disney, homogenized, and sold off piece by piece." - Lisa Simpson

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=raye_lian
http://spaces.msn.com/members/krazyfox/
Raye
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Magus » Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:05 pm

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:47 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 17, 2004 - 12:46 pm

**THIS IS A SIDE ADVENTURE TO "THE TOMB OF ORCETH". Outside the Jaded Wayfarer's Inn...**

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 18, 2004 - 01:03 pm

(ok, i suppose i'll start. . . .)

Rieze sauntered out to the stables, looking around in anticipation. She told the bird, Chimaera, that was still on her shoulder, to let Aizlyn know she was coming and bringing friends. Rieze knew the way to the tomb, her great, great grandfather had been best of friends with the mage that had died. it was a long standing tradition of her kind to make the journey (alone) as a rite of passage. Rieze could still see the roads she had taken to get there. she needed no map.

her stallion, a beautiful horse of the deepest black that reflected blue highlights in its glossy mane, snorted anxiously in anticipation of another trip and chance to stretch his legs. Rieze grinned and swung herself into the saddle completely ignoring the hand a stable boy offered and the mounting block. they didnt have those in the wild.

Posted By: Magus Aug 18, 2004 - 01:28 pm

Sabal-Gah moved out the door, following Rieze. They had best depart as soon as they could. If not then they - he - would lose valuable time. And haste was needeed. This was a race to a most important and magically lucerative end. He would have to hurry this entorage of fools along. His "Momma and Poppa" story seemed to be working wonders on them. A little girl's desperate search for her parents had always worked before, to great leangths. He always got what he wanted in the end. Always.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 19, 2004 - 09:45 am

Rieze watched the little girl mount, again finding something odd to her.

'i'm watching you little one, you havent fooled me, i know youre up to something. . .' she thought to herself. if only she knew how close to the truth she was.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 19, 2004 - 11:57 am

Pashir rode over to them rather like a tall, broud-shouldered statue upon a horse. His voice was solid, very clear, and deep. "Which way bares us travel?" he asked, his word usage similar to that used by pirates and such poor ruffians.

Posted By: Magus Aug 19, 2004 - 01:46 pm

"The way which bares our passage." Sabal-Gah slipped, realising all to late that he had responded in the traditional response of the Marauders of the North. Too late now to change that. He had best keep up his guise and slip up no more. He could see that Rieze was eyeing him strangly. She sensed something. Of course she would, given her profession and training. But still... she didn't know, or probably even suspect. She only felt the... offness... of this little girl. He could make this work still, if he was careful.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 09:10 am

Rieze reckognized the verses that were customary to the pirates of the far north. they may have been rough and a little off, but they were fun people all the same. she'd adopted a ship as her 'family' a few years back, but they'd died in a tragic shipwreck. so was her life. she wondered how the little girl knew the phrases, but decided to feign innocence, as if she didn't reckognize the phrases. there was definately something wrong with the little girl. the aura of ill-will clung to her, Rieze knew it all too well. she loosened the bonds that held a dagger just above her wrist, in case; disguising the movement to seem as if her wrist itched.

"i tink ve could risk de shortcut, dis child looks sturdy enough." she commented, gracefully charging from the stall which her horse had been sheltered in. Stable boys scattered and under her breath, Rieze almost chuckled. she turned her stead at the door, witing for the others.

"vell, does anyvon else have an opinion?" she asked.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 09:18 am

Sabal-Gah desided this was an opportune time to spring back. "My momma and poppa... we can't wait! I have to get to them!" Hot tears began rolling down the little girl's cheaks in heavy beads. He really was a good actor when he applied himself.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 20, 2004 - 10:33 am

"We'll get you there," promised Pashir. "I'll personally assure you on that, little one."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 10:35 am

Rieze almost snorted at the fake tears, she'd seen enough to know real emotion. or was it just her suspicious side, Engano mento was really just a little lost girl. . .

Rieze instead looked to Pashir, as if to say, you handle this.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 10:36 am

Tears still dripped fro her eyes that now grew big and sparckled like precious 'shinies'. "Thank you, noble sir. Thank you."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 20, 2004 - 10:55 am

Rieze rolled her eyes and spoke, but not harshly, just in case the girl really was just that, a little girl.

"vell, if your need be so great, i tink ve should go then, yeah?" she tried her best to find better, flowing words, but Rieze never really was the talker. she was the fighter, Kieze was the speaker. besides, she wasn't even speaking her own language.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 20, 2004 - 05:33 pm

"Not at all," said Pashir.

Posted By: Magus Aug 20, 2004 - 07:34 pm

"Please, we must hurry."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 21, 2004 - 05:57 pm

Rieze held a strange forboding in her heart, but knew, somehow, that she had to hurry the small band along, evn if it was what the strange girl wanted.

"yes, lets hurry den. vhere is dis hidden road, den?" she asked, her impatience growing stronger by the moment. something was wrong, very wrong. but what?

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 23, 2004 - 10:41 am

when her companions were silent, Rieze's fiery temper took the best of her. she wheeled her horse around sharply, and rode out of he stable, not really caring if the others followed or if they decided not to. she had to meet up with Aizlyn to give her the news about Raziz. . . .

Posted By: Magus Aug 23, 2004 - 11:10 am

Sabal-Gah saw his hopes of finding his brother, quite literally, dash away before him. He wistled sharply between his teeth. His great black mare, nearly six hands larger then even the greatest war-horses stormed out of the stables. He mounted quickly and dashed after Rieze.

Of coarse, that's not at all what the others saw. They saw a little girl wistle softly and a medium sized pony pranced gently out of the stalls. She mounted it with a little difficulty and gallopped after Rieze. Even if the speed of the pony was impressive and drew more than it's share of attention, it was nothing truly suspicious. After all, some of the group seemed to come under the impression that Engano was well off, a noble perhaps. It would only assist their thinkning that she'd have a fine mount that would suite her, like her sandy colored pony.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 24, 2004 - 12:29 pm

**Along their journey to the east, they come upon a small hut on a lone hill. Lightning breaks upon the sky, thunder shaking everywhere. It begins to rain.**

"Looks abandoned," said Pashir.

Posted By: Magus Aug 24, 2004 - 03:16 pm

"I doubt it." Enganar pouted.

Red lightening streeked overhead and the thunderclap followed shortly after. The are was illuminated. Black shapeless figures slunk and cringed in the shadows, moving slyly into the shadows again.

Red lightening scarred the sky once more. The shapes were gone, but a great weight seemed to fill the air. Hair stood on end, despite the dampness and the mare's whinned loudly in reproach.

"Told ya." She grimmly noted, sinister pleasure at her own innate knowledge ringing in her tone. But it was easily dismissed. The battle was nigh.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 24, 2004 - 04:51 pm

Digger cantered up easily behind them, having had to settle a few matters at the Inn before departing. He had snuck up behind the party, not expecting to surprise Pashir nor really any of the others. He reigned up beside Rieze and nodded to the hut, "There are people in here, as you've probably seen. If M'Lady would like to stay there for the night I would," He smiled a little, "Clear them off."

Magus

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:47 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 27, 2004 - 01:44 pm

Rieze snorted and grinned widely, not reaqlly intending to reveal her true smile so soon, but it sliiped out. on such a face as hers it could be called stunning. she'd seen the stares men had sent her before, and that was partly why she veiled it.

"my good sir, surely you do not mean me?" she'd never really been a lady, never really caring, but this rough man was trying to be a gentleman so she figured she would play along, for the moment at least. no reason to startle the little girl with her power, yet.

"no, i tink ve should not diisturb de people. dey are probably naught but farmers, and i personally could do without making more enemies. you could, if you vant, beg for shelter for the night, but i have been out in vorse. dis is noting."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 27, 2004 - 02:02 pm

Digger nodded and swung off his horse. If he had known Rieze thought him rough he probably wouldn't have been highly amused. It was also surprising because he did not have the coarse look that many of the other bounty hunters did and he realized this long ago. Courtesy got him more jobs.
He moved up off toward the house and ducked inside, looking for an occupant. "Hello?"

Posted By: Magus Aug 28, 2004 - 10:32 am

Lightening flashed once more. The invisable figures were back again. This time they were only one dozen yards off.

Lightening flashed twice more. This time they were only six off. Swords free of their sheaths could now be seen. Sickles were in the hands of some, pitchforks in the hands of others. A sinister air clung to them. In the distance a crow sang its foreboding song.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 28, 2004 - 11:42 am

Digger, hearing the soft sounds of a mob outside, left the house. He rejoined the party, studying the newcomers seriously and then shooting a glance at Pashir. He drew his sword and hailed them.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 28, 2004 - 01:10 pm

Rieze reached into her cape, gripping her sword with one hand, her silver-tipped whip (her specialty) with the other. she held the whip at the ready, but left the sword in the sheath. something was wrong. the girl didnt seem that frightened and seemed to know them somehow. Rieze locked eyes with the youngster and used her no-nonsense tone of voice.

"do you know dem, Engano?"

Posted By: SirJill Aug 28, 2004 - 02:05 pm

Suddenly Digger began laughing. He sheathed his sword and replaced it with a dagger. Before the child could react he held one arm around her neck and the other checking the air above her. "I apologize, M'Lady, I had forgotten about this one. Now," He looked down at the child, "Tell us who you really are or I'll slit your throat."

If the child didn't answer immediately, or Digger sense she was lying, he would kill her on the spot.

Posted By: Magus Aug 28, 2004 - 04:27 pm

Sabal-Gah didn't move. How had he been found out so soon? He should have been fine for a few more days at the least, a few more weeks if he played it out properly. But they had found him out. At least, they found out that there was more to him. Fortunately he didn't need incantations to cast illusions. These figures were not his, but he recognised them for what they were.

Sabal-Gah began his illusion. He might still be able to have these fools lead him to his brother, if he played his cards properly. But this form had reached its usefulness. It was time to move on. It was time to put on his best face and play out his role.

"Bravo, Bravo. I didn't expect to be found out so soon. My compliments to you all." He began, still in the guise of the little girl. "They are shades, men who have been possessed by foul demons. Typically they are used for manual labor, although they have been known to be fitted as soldiers. They will be reverted back to humans when the dawn's light touches their bodies. If I guess right that should be in only a little while. But they are savages, mighty in streangth and speed. I will assist you, if you let me free. I can help defeat them."

Posted By: SirJill Aug 29, 2004 - 07:52 am

Digger stiffened when his captive mentioned 'men who have been possessed by foul demons' but quickly pushed it back. This was no time to let his emotional side rule him. Instead, he studied the shades--making a decision. Finally after a few moments he pulled the knife across the girl's throat, drawing a line of blood. "I don't play games--now tell us who you are or I'll widen that cut. Besides, those shades are probably attracted to blood. I'd say we throw you to them and make off in the time it takes them to eat you, eh?"

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 29, 2004 - 08:29 am

Rieze grinned, glad that she wasnt the only one to have sensed that perhaps "engano mento" was not who she claimed to be. but the girl was not what concerned her, it was the shades.

she'd heard of them, she'd heard they could only be killed by striking them in the heart or banished by the will power of the human posessed. she'd never encountered one in all her travels, but was up to a challenge. she took off her heavy cloak and dismounted from her horse. Rieze nodded to Digger who seemed to be handling whatever the little girl really was, and she drew her sword and whip, ready for battle. she hoped Pashir would assist her with the shades, he seemed a competent man on the battlefield.

Posted By: Magus Aug 29, 2004 - 03:06 pm

Lightening flashed and illuminated the area. The shades were closer now. Some were two yards off and some were even closer.

One of the shades lunged at digger and tore him away from Sabal-Gah. The shade drew its sword and made to stab him in the chest.

A second shade appeared behing Engano. It drew its sword and ran it across her neck, spilling her hot blood over the ground. She crumpled like a rag doll and the shade moved on towards Rieze.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 30, 2004 - 12:15 pm

Digger dodged to the side, the shade's sword just missing his body, but cutting though his clothing in a tear that nearly halved it across his chest. He didn't spare another glance at Engano--the child was probably dead anyway. Instead he kept his attention on the shade in front of him, lashing out at it with his sword. The blow would probably serve to either decapitate the sword arm, or, if the shade was fast, made a deep cut.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 30, 2004 - 12:48 pm

Rieze grinned at the shade that had cut down the imposter that had been in their midst and was now advancing to her.

"vell, i didn't like that von much anyvay." she said rhetorically, shrugging off her dead companion. she was no stranger to death, no friend of those between. her whip cracked a she spun in a deadly spiral, sword, spike, sword,spike. the shade looked almost confused as she flicked her whip past its face and danced off again. quick hands, quick feet, that was her advantage. she licked her lip waiting for the creature to move next.

Posted By: Magus Aug 30, 2004 - 03:48 pm

Nearly a dozen more shades came from the shadows of the land. They advenced ever toward the party. Most were solom and stolid. Some, however; cackled madly and brandished their blades and weapons around like madmen. Some grinned sinisterly and others could not be read.

Lightening flashed again overhead. The land was illuminated sickly.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 30, 2004 - 04:05 pm

Digger made several feints and then drove his sword home with a force that nearly cleaved the shade in two. He removed the sword quickly, watching as the shade crumpled down into a man's body. He blinked, almost surprised and then looked up, finding another foe and rejoining the battle, fully again.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Aug 31, 2004 - 11:55 am

Rieze saw her companions fighing with as much force as they could, spewing corpses over the countryside. digger looked confused as the ones he cut down turned back to men, as normal as he. she saw a skinny, bony looking weak shade raise a curved sickle over its head, aiming at Digger's back. in an instant, Rieze's dagger flew from her boot, through the air past digger's face and embedded itself in the creature's jugular vein. Punching an advancing shade square in the face, she raised her eyebrows at Digger who looked at her oddly.
" youre velcome." she said plainly, pulling the small blade from it's victim's corpse and moving elsewhere, making her own path of fallen enemies.

Posted By: SirJill Aug 31, 2004 - 12:52 pm

Digger snorted, but only when his employer was out of earshot and had found another foe to occupy her. He paused for a moment and looked around at the others, first seeing if anyone was in trouble and second to see how many of the foe were left. Their number was waning rapidly and he stepped back, clutching his sword and trying to figure out where the shades had come from. He still didn't know if he felt right about the child dying in such a fashion.

Two more shades came up behind Rieze--just as his attention wandered back to her. He took a few steps forward at a run, drew his own dagger and flung it at one of the shades. It hit the man in the back and nearly went though. He crumpled to the ground and Digger made to tip an imaginary hat at Rieze; returning the favor.

Posted By: Neurolanis Aug 31, 2004 - 07:15 pm

Pashir fought defenecively, stabbing down the Shades as they came to him. He went before the "little girl" to protect her, unsure who she was. The Shades were all defeated, bur haunting shadows lifted up from the dead bodies, twisting around together to form a collective consciousness far above them. It seemed to grow more and more sinister. Pashir shook his head, stepping back. He hated magic and Demons. "What now?"

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 01, 2004 - 12:12 pm

Rieze grinned widely, pretending to curtsey to digger as she wiped the blood from her sword and dagger. she made her way over to where pashir was standing and brushed her long hair from her face as she suggested they continue on. Rieze had amazing stamina for someone of her size and usually didn't need to sleep for days at a time. sometimes she tended to forget that humans had to rest once every 24 hours.

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 01:31 pm

From the shadows not to distant from the battle, strange green eyes watched the fight. Hex's midnight blue hair fell about her face, partially blocking her veiw at times, but the scene was evident enough.

Pulling her black feathered cape more tightly about her to conceal herself, she gradually crept closer to the party, not sure how they would react should a dark elf appear at that moment.

Several paces away she froze, crouching low to the ground and clinging to the night wrought shadows. In this position she waited, hoping that the party would see her and make the first move.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 01:41 pm

Digger, who had relaxed his grip on the sword, tightened his hand again. He swung the sword one handed and moved forward so he was standing a few feet away from where he thought someone was crouch.
"Who's there?" He barked, holding the sword aggressively.

Magus

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:48 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 01:59 pm

"Do not be alramed when I show myself, I fear to battle you as I am now."

Slowly Hex rose from her position, revealing herself. She stood slightly over five feet, completely shrouded in a dark cape with the hood pulled back to reveal her face. She leaned slightly to the right, favoring her seriously injured leg.

Thus she stood, waiting for the lightning to flash and reveal her to the party. She could only hope that they would not be put off by what she was and attack her in her injured state.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 01, 2004 - 02:04 pm

"What are you?" asked Pashir.

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 02:17 pm

"Can't you see? Perhaps the light is not so good here." She winced in pain and almost fell, barely catching herslelf before she tumbled forward.

With a tremble in her voice she spoke again, afraid that they would reject her as soon as she identified herself. Were she not wounded, she would not have even sought them out. All she could do was hope that they would let her join them; she needed help and protection at the moment, "I am a dark elf."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 03:25 pm

Digger brandished the sword a little, "No, we can't see for the darkness. Now off with you, we're not taking any others with our party." He looked at her disdainfully, "Especially not those who are wounded."

Posted By: Mir Sep 01, 2004 - 04:15 pm

Hex moved back a little, dissapointed that they had so quickly dismissed her. She shook her head her resolve strengthening. These were the first and probably only people that she had found or would find. They may not want her in her present state, but if they were to help her now and her powers recovered...she would prove more help than they could imagine.

"Do not so quickly dismiss me. I am injured, but I am a powerful necromancer. If you give me your aide now I will help any way that I may in the furture. I promise I will prove more benifit than burden."

She held her ground, staring at them and waiting for their response.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 04:27 pm

Digger harrumphed. "We have no time to waste now." He snapped, "We journey to Avanoor--the road is difficult and we cannot stop for someone who is wounded. Now off with you!"

Posted By: Magus Sep 01, 2004 - 04:42 pm

Shabel-Grah forced himself to contain a sinister fit of laughter that had threatened to reveal himself. How masterful his plan was. Fake the death of a little girl, then cast a spell of illusion around himself. He was an invisible phantom, undetectable by any means. Of coarse, his voice could still give him away.

Sabal-Gah cast a silent spell of illusion over the land. It was as if a stiff and heavy gust of roaring wind swept over the company.

He silently krept over to the necomer. He could be useful to him. While the wind was at its zenith he whispered slyly into this necromancer's ear.

"Don't be alarmed, stranger. They may dismiss you for what you are, but I will embrace you for it. I will cause a distraction in a moment's time. If you want my company then make for the shed. Tell them not about me, they are not to be trusted."

He cast another silent spell of illusion over the group. The "corpse" of Engano Mento slowly rose and stadied herself. She bore her bloodied teeth and jumped at the party, pulling a scimitar from behind her back.

"Choose now." He whispered before he left for the cpver of the shed.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 01, 2004 - 04:54 pm

Digger was torn; almost. He heard, rather than saw the girl rise up and run toward them brandishing the scimitar. But his problem was the dark elf. She wasn't--doing anything. She hadn't reacted to the wind at all. At least not outwardly and his senses were practically screaming at him.

Something's wrong here.

He started, ever so slightly. She hadn't spoken to him in ages it seemed.

What?

Something's wrong here; that girl wasn't killed with at scimitar, so where'd she get it?

He bit his lip, turning toward the girl and raising the sword as if to behead her. But a few seconds before she was close enough to strike out at him he chanced a glance over his shoulder at the elf again.

You're right. By the Gods, you're right, Elira.

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 11:43 am

Hex had slowly crept away as the girl attacked, her injured leg making travel a little harder than it should have been. She kept close to the ground, easily blending into the ground with her black cape and dark clothing.

Lightning flashed across the sky, and for a brief moment she feared discovery, but no noise was made. She must truly be out of the group's sight.

Still not sure of the voice, but certain that it was the only help that she would get, she crawled towards the shed. When she finally made it, she collapsed onto the floor in relief and softly called out, "I am here now, what do you want of me?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 11:50 am

"Step into the light, please." Sabal-Gah said in a very comforting sort of way; like a brother or another close relation.

Indeed, a soft light appeared out of nowhere in the center of the room. It cast a circle on the dirt floor about two yards in diameter. The rest of the shack was owned by the shadows.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 02, 2004 - 11:59 am

Rieze knew there was something wrong when the dead girl jumped at them. digger seemed to sense it too. as he moved toward engano (or what was left of her body) he stopped, looking after the strange dark elf. engano sped towards him, her scimitar held out, glinting dangerously. just before she'd decended upon digger, whose attention was elsewhere, Rieze dashed forward and caught the corpse in a flying tackle. she knew scimitars were no good in close combat, which was why she dared such a risky move. the hilt of a dagger she had hidden beneath her sleeves fell into her palm. in a second it was embedded in the corpse's heart. Rieze rolled over, away from the body and saw the two men watching her with mixed looks of amusement and confusion.

"dont just stand dere fools! follov de klundor!" she hissed then sprung to her feet in a show of cat-like agility and flexibility. she changed slowly, fluidly, melting from one form to another. a sleek, midnight black panther pounced forward. rieze was powerful in her skill, not only able to transform herself, but her clothes as well. it was a rare gift, not one that was seen often, and it heralded her inner strength and power.

the panther darted forward, violet eyes searching for the dark elf.

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 12:56 pm

Hex slowly stepped forward into the light, cautious as to what this strange voice wanted of her. Surely it tried to sound comforting, but Hex had suffered much at the hands of those that sounded similar. The scars and injuries would never fully heal, nor would her sense of turst.

"What do you want of me; and who or what are you?"

Hex stood motionless, one hand carefully positioned over the bone wand that she carried hidden under her cloak.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 03:35 pm

Outside lightening struck again, scarring the sky. The shades all awoke again, or at least that's what the party saw. They had multiplied also, ten times what they had been. Sabal-Gah figured this could keep them busy for a long enough time to complete his business.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 03:43 pm

"I want only your company. You tried to make friends of an evil company, bent on rejoining their evil master, my brother; Shabel-Grah. I can see from here that you are not evil, not in the least. Allow me to introduce myself."

He stepped forward from the shadows. He came to Hex as a warm man of creamy complexion. His eyes were pools of blue and his hair was fine and blond as spun gold. He stood near six feet tall. He was mightily built, and yet showed a soft and gentle way about him. He wore an azure robe with golden designs about it. They were typical designs of the lordly necromancers to the East, ones well trusted and respected among the circles of all mages. His hood was down, exposing the fine features of his illusionary face. To his side was a wand made of golden bone.

"My name, milady, is Encantador Demonio. I am a necromancer like yourself. My brother is one of a vile nature who seeks the Jewel of Orceth to further his own dark ends of malice and destruction. Those outside are nothing but his minions seeking to rejoin with their fell companion. I ask you to join me in my quest, to help all of this world."

Posted By: Mir Sep 02, 2004 - 03:54 pm

Hex looked him over carefully, not sure. She was surprised that he appeared to be another necromancer, and was even more surprised to see the gentle look about him. It was almost to good to be true, but in her wounded state she was beyond questioning anyone at the moment.

Slowly she took a step towards him and nearly fell, only to right herself at the last moment. "Will you help me? Will you heal me? Can you do this?" Her eyes were pleading, her wounded soul crying for someone to trust, just as her body cried for a healer.

Posted By: Magus Sep 02, 2004 - 04:13 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a kind and comforting smile through his facade. "Of course, milady."

He stpped closer and kneeled next to her wounded leg. Silently he cast his illusionary magic over the wound. To keep up the facade he began a chant of healing, useless to him in truth; not having the magical prowessin the healing arts. But this was a powerful illusion he would cast on the girl. She would feel no pain from this wound. She would feel refreshed all over. She would look at the wound and think it healed.

"Valencea berro berro. There, are you feeling any better, milady?" He said, offering a kind smile to her.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 02, 2004 - 05:06 pm

Pashir did not like magic, yet a faint smile found its way to his face when the Klundor woman became healed.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 11:24 am

Hex looked at her leg, amazed that the horrible gash seemed healed. The wound that had plagued her for so long was completely gone. She flexed her leg experimentally and gave Encantador Demonio a slight and hesitant smile. She gave him a nod, "You have my eternal gratitude...any way I can be of help to you...don't hesitate to ever ask."

Slowly she stood, taking a quick walk about on her "newly healed" leg. She found it quite to her satisfaction and turned to him, "Please take this."

She reached out and handed him a small bone whistle, carefully carved into the shape of an eye. With a serious expression, she explained it's purpose, "Being what and as I am, I sometimes must leave to focus my powers and calm my mind. This whistle will allow you to call me when you need me."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 11:54 am

"Mt thanks to you, milady." Sabal-Gah said as he gave a traditional necromancer's bow. "I shall call on you if I am in need. But we must go now. Those fiends are closing in on our location. I wouldn;t want anything to happen to either of us, lest our quest for the good of all fail. Quickly now," He said, casting a silent spell of invisibility over the two of them, unknown to Hex. "We must away in haste."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 03, 2004 - 12:33 pm

Rieze, in a panther's form, was able to track the klundorian woman's scent to a small shed, but before she got close enough to hear what was going on, or enter, the dead bodies of the shades lifted from the ground and multiplied by ten. Rieze looked around, wondering where Pashir had gotten to. she leaped into a congregation of shades who had gathered around digger, attracted to his blood.

once again, in a whirl of black and dark purple, Rieze was in a human-like form again, she turned to digger and spoke quietly and shortly, parrying the blows delt by the shades at the same time.

"vhere is pashir? did he go avter de klundor? someting is vrong. i can feel it."

Magus

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:49 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 12:42 pm

"Agreed." Digger shouted over the clash of swords. He shoved his sword deep into another shade and stabbed one who was coming to his side with the dagger several times while he got his sword free. Then he swung it around and beheaded it; retrieving his dagger.
"I didn't see him but I think he's either in, or is watching that girl." He shook his head and decapitated another shade. "But you're right--something stinks here." He took a quick look around, there being an absence of shades for the time being and nodded to Rieze, making a mad dash for the shed. He stood in the doorway, holding the sword in front of him as if holding back foes...which could be.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 12:56 pm

Hex looked to the man again, tyring to figure him out. He had helped her, and in return, she had promised her help to him, but something was strange here. To start with, why were the shades not here, attacking them as well, surely they should be... Furthermore, something about the man rubbed her the wrong way. What was a gentle necromancer doing in a place like this? Was he merely following these minions?

Questions flowed through Hex's mind so rapidly that she had to hold her hands to her head to slow them. She suddenly fell to one knee, a horrendous pain racing through her mind. She opened her mouth in a silent scream, blank eyes staring at the ceiling. She remembered this pain...this was the same pain she had suffered so long ago...

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 01:40 pm

"Are you well milady?" Sabal-Gah asked. He took a step forward to catch her as she fell.

She better not die, he thought. How will I be able to use her otherwise?

"I think you should sit and rest awhile. I have placed sacred seals over this shed. We will be safe from any demons like the shades outside so long as we stay here. Dawn, I think, or mayhap even afterwards will be a good enough time to start out. The shades will either dissapate or go into hiding by then. It should be safe enough when the day breaks."

Sabal-Gah almost let forth a slight snicker at his own words. He only was willing to stay here for his ability to hide the both of them he thought was sufficient. The shades had all been killed off by the party, only his illusions remained. He could afford to stay here as long as he wished. He could always send more illusions to slow down the progress of the party he was tracking. And besides, he could always use this necromancer to further his own ends.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 01:44 pm

Pashir re-entered, from a back door. "I saw a strange form moving out there," he said. "Some evil be tracking us. I like it not."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 01:48 pm

Sabal-Gah looked into Pashir, directly into his eyes. He knew his illusion would hold, it would have to. If it didn't then they would indeed be discovered. And Sabal-Gah couldn't read into this man like he could others. He couldn't predict what he might do.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 01:52 pm

Pashir seemed suspicious, but said nothing of it.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 01:55 pm

Hex slowly clamed, the pain easing back into the depths of her mind. At her side, the bone wand glowed stark white, so full of power that it was near bursting.

Shaking her head to clear it of the fogginess that always followed the pain, she looked up. She saw that the other necromancer was looking in a different direction and followed his gaze. To her surprise, she saw another person standing in the door. Ever so slowly she stood and reached for her wand.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 02:00 pm

Digger stood in the doorway, surprised the couldn't enter, but astounded at the conversation he was hearing.
Where they that blind that they did not notice him? He withdrew quickly, his cloak making a small snapping sound as he moved out of the doorway to the side of the shack. He thought for a second of calling Rieze, but that would spoil his chances of hearing more. So he stayed.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 02:05 pm

••••! Sabal-Gah thought. He obviously saw them. Did his illusion break? No, it couldn't have. Is there something so unique about that man? Can he see through them? No, it must be the illusions. He had cast so many so soon... it must have weakened his latest. ••••! He would have to be careful.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 03, 2004 - 02:06 pm

"I don't like this place," said Pashir, sratching his bald head. "Do we plan to spend the night here? If so, I'll have to keep my good eye open."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 02:11 pm

So who's side is Pashir on? I thought he was working for Rieze...Digger wondered. He kept his distance a few inches away from the edge of the hut, still listening carefully. He was no intensely curious about that girl. She was probably the Necromancer's puppet--but this, this was all too confusing. He would have to remain where he was and hope no one came out of the shed.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 02:14 pm

"Can they see us?" Hex's voice was low, almost a whisper. She drew slightly closer to Encantador Demonio. The wand at her side throbbed with power, just begging to be used. Hex, however, did not want to use her powers unless there was any other choice.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 02:45 pm

"Yes." Sabal-Gah answered in a hushed tone, barely even a whisper. "Yes they can."

Sabal-Gah didn't want to make his move yet. Maybe he could use this to his advantage. Maybe he could use Pashir the way he intended to use Hex.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 03:19 pm

Hex slowly touched her wand, getting ready to use it should anything threatening happen. The shear power from within it made the whole wand vibrate. If something didn't happen soon, the power might overwhelm her.

Posted By: Mir Sep 03, 2004 - 04:12 pm

Hex gripped the wand tightly, realizing that it was about to *beep* energy wether she wanted it to or not. She quickly brought it out in front of her and gripped it with both hands, trying to surpress the power and make it dissipate before something bad happened.

Suddenly there was a blinding flash and Hex stumbled backwards. She suddenly tripped over something and fell, dropping the wand and hitting her head hard on the floor. Her vision blured and she couldn't focus. She fought valiantly against the oncoming darkness, but felt herself falling. Soon all she knew was darkness.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 04:37 pm

Sabal-Gah looked at the collapsed form in front of him. She had a backlash of magical energy. It was an incredably powerful one at that. He could only image what she could do when she wasn't supressing it.

He stooped down and plucked up the wand that had fallen beside her. It might come in handy to have. He would have to further investigate it. But now he could at least relax his illusion.

His illusionary form shimmered in the light. It winked and waved like a mirage in the desert. Slowly it faded and was replaced by his true form.

His robe was pitch black, and not blue. The symbols were indeed gold, but showed off that he was an illusionist and not a necromancer. His face was hidden partially in the shadows of his hood.

This was soon rectafied as he pulled it back. His black eyes stared out of their whites. His white teeth were like fangs of a demon, peeling back into a terrable grimace. His skin was sandy, but dark as if it was covered with its own film of black shadows.

The golden wand at his side became a long dagger with a white hilt and a black blade. His fingers became long and boney, his nails became like talons of a great beast. He took on a far more sinister form then he wore for show.

This was darkness. This was evil incarnate. This was Sabal-Gah, the illusionist. This is the man who killed his parents at the age of eleven and who hunts his brother still; the man who wants nothing more then then the death and pain of any creature born of the light. This is the man with no soul. This is Sabal-Gah.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 04:40 pm

And Digger chose this moment to enter the shack. He stopped; frozen, his sword in front of him and his mouth open slightly.
"Goddess."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 04:54 pm

Sabal-Gah whirled around, amazed that he had been spied upon. He had expected this small moment of relief to come with some privacy. But it had come with none.

He drew his black dagger and pointed it at Digger. It glowed with a malicious green light that danced around the blade like a sinister flame.

"What did you see. Speak now or you may find yourself a lesser man."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 05:32 pm

Elira? I could use some help right now.

You know I can't do talking--if he sends anything I'll block it though.

Alright. Done.

"A lesser man? Pray--magician, you think I have been immune to all your tricks?" He pulled up his tunic sleeve revealing a long gash that nearly bisected his arm and raised his eyebrows slightly.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 06:47 pm

Sabal-Gah allowed himself a rare smile. "You are even a greater fool than I thought. Look at your arm again, you'll find it quite unspoiled."

Sabal-Gah was cackling on the inside. The fool couldn't even tell that his gash was nothing more than an illusion. He could relieve that though. No need to drag this out needlessly.

Magus

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:49 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 07:06 pm

Digger smiled quietly and withdrew his hand from his arm. "You miss my meaning, Sir Magician. I meant that while I could see a wound--I felt no pain from it. And oddity indeed."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 07:24 pm

"An illusion of pain is quite different from an illusionary being causing pain. They are two entirely separate entities. The former may happen while the latter may not."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 07:48 pm

"Enough of your games, Magician." Digger said shortly. "I know the wound is not real--there is no pain, I can use the arm normally. Now what are you doing in these woods?" His tone was quiet and threatening.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:08 pm

Another sinister smile escaped Sabal-Gah. "I want what every man wants, and nothing more."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:26 pm

Digger didn't ask. Instead he advanced into the hut and stood over the fallen body of Hex. "What are you doing with her? I have reason to suspect you--and you, Sir, already have your quotient of suspiscion."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:27 pm

"Yes," He mused, "I suppose we do have that, if nothing else."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:28 pm

Digger pulled his dirk. "I will ask one time more--what are you doing here, Magician?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:34 pm

Sabal-Gah couldn't help but cackle out in laughter. "I suppose I have no other choice, now do I." He said as one would concede to a small child. "I say again I seek what all men desire, both good and ill. I desire that which is beyond me. I am a soulless man, and yet strangly enough I desire no soul. I killed both of my parents when I had but eleven years to me. I burned our home to the ground. I have no soul and so I feel no sorrow, no pain, no remorse. But my brother, dear Shabel-Grah, escaped me. I wish to kill him. We are, however; equally matched. We each have a gem of the dead sage Orceth. There is one more and I desire it, need it, to take my brothers life and claim it as my own."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:37 pm

Digger blinked and for the first time felt needlings of truth from this man. He sheathed his dirk and nodded, "I've heard of your brother--Shabel-Grah. And I suppose I have my own reasons for going after him." He ducked his head briefly, thinking of Rowena--and the rumors.

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:48 pm

"Why don't we have a more open palaver together? I told you my secrets, did I not? I wish to know yours. Mayhap we could assist each other."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 08:50 pm

Digger ran his tongue along his teeth. "Possibly. But you gave your secrets freely--and I have a price."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 08:52 pm

"Go on then. Speak your price and speak it true."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 03, 2004 - 09:02 pm

Digger shook his head, "I did not say the price came for you." He blinked and thought for a moment, "Before I speak--" but he stopped, smiling a little. "I have no guarantees that you will not betray me, I suppose. But let me warn you, magician. I sense it and you are finished."

Posted By: Magus Sep 03, 2004 - 09:04 pm

Sabal-Gah let out a light hearted chuckle. "Yes, I suppose I would be, at least in a state such as this with my illusions failing me. And you are right as well. For how can you trust a man with no soul? Continue, please, I wish to know more about your price."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 08:20 am

Digger snorted, deciding to tell this man about his sister but not the other thing. There was no doubt that he was hiding something and there were some secrets Digger told no one. This magician was not about to know.
He lifted his head and met Sabal-Gah's eyes. "I have heard rumors that my sister was taken by your brother--Shabel-Grah. They journey, conveniently, to Avanoor. I needed the money, so I signed on with the first travler who needed a guide."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 08:41 am

"You seem to found more then an employer here. Perhaps you found a more lucrative companion in me then you'd ever find in those cretins." Sabal-Gah offered smugly.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 08:54 am

Digger asked flatly, "How much will you pay me to help kill your brother?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 09:18 am

"You misunderstand me. Shabel-Grah is MINE! I will let to join me in order to kill some of his companions. I do get lonely when killing entire parties. I would rather enjoy some company. If you assist me I will let you have the jewel of Orceth in the tomb, I'll even fetch it for you if you so desire me to."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 09:22 am

Digger eyed him suspisciously. "Just what is the nature of this jewel?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 09:31 am

Sabal-Gah smiled sinisterly. "This jewel grants you power beyond that of your wildest dreams. And trust me, I know from experience."

Magus

Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:50 pm Post subject: : To Orceth: Side Adventure
Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 09:48 am

Digger snorted, "I've been commissioned to find several such jewels. This is probably some tail of a myth from ages past. Only fools seek such jems."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:02 am

"Tiss no myth. And this is no fool before you. Observe."

From the confines of his robes Sabal-Gah pulled forth a crimson jewel at the end of a strand of demon fangs strung together. It was a crystal sphere an inch in diameter, glowing with a strong inner light.

"It is no myth. There are three in existance. I have one, my brother has one and one remains in the tomb. Assist me and you will be rewarded with one of your own."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 10:04 am

Digger eyed him levelly. He was not about to be taken in so easily. "If it grants you power beyond your dreams why can't you just kill your brother? It seems to me there are several hitches in this plan."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Sep 04, 2004 - 10:37 am

Rieze had followed Digger at the first opertune moment, and now stood outside the shed. she'd heard every word spoken, and decided she must play her cards carefully. These were not men to be taken lightly. she slunk off into the shadows, not in the least worried over the shades.

a rune engraved in a piece of black marble hung on a chain at her neck. she rubbed it once with her thumb and it glowed a dull purple. then, she was no more a beautiful human woman, but instead a powerful osprey, with curved talons that were deadly and sharp. she glided on the wind, as fast as an arrow shot from the best archer's bow. Rieze was heading to find her friend, Aizlyn. the rune would guide her, and as a bird, she would travel four times as fast. she only hoped she would not be too late.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:41 am

"If only it was so simple. As I told you already my brother has one of the jewels. We have had the curse of being equally matched in every way. Each of us having a jewel doesn't do much towards ending that, now does it?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 10:48 am

Digger watched him suspisciously, "Why would you give it to me, then?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 10:55 am

Sabal-Gah laughed menisingly. "I think after I have two I should be satisfied. Why would I need three? I'd already have all the power I'd need for my purposes. My brother would be dead and I'd be free of this black mark on my mind for not having his head lonesome for his neck."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 11:42 am

Digger thought for a moment and then said, "Keep the jewel--I want only my sister's freedom."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 12:28 pm

"Hmmmmm... A sisters love causes you to wish her freedom." Sabal-Gah said, musing the situation to himself. "What a splendid play. I wonder how our brave protagonists will fare in the end. And, even more do I wonder, who is the antagonist in this tale?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 12:51 pm

Digger smiled tightly. "Perhaps it is not her love--but her honor. We have not seen each other since we were children. I have been chasing her ever since."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 12:55 pm

"And why would you chase her, this unicorn. Why would you seek her out. She obviously cannot be cought. Or maybe its not that she cannot be cought, but that she choses not to be."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:08 pm

"Yes--perhaps fate has chosen to seperate us. I've been chasing Rowena for years, ever since we were children. This is the closest I've been since I started out."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:28 pm

"Well, I will help you further your ends if you let me further my own. Are we in agreement on the terms?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:29 pm

Digger nodded. He pulled a dagger from his belt and cut his palm then he held the dagger out to Sabal-Gah for his own use.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:35 pm

Sabal-Gah did the same to his own hand, dyeing it crimson. As he did he chanted an old mantra that used to be spoken over such rituals. "My life's blood I grant to you. Do with it what you must, but know that we are now as brothers. Know that we are both as one. Know that no bond or pact we make shall be broken. I am to you and you are to me. ALEA ALEA VERRO VAE, TOLKIA TOLKIA FERRO VEA."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:38 pm

Digger grasped his hand and their blood mingled, dripping onto the ground at their feet. After a moment Digger shuddered and pulled away, not liking, but knowing all the same that such rituals were nesessary.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 01:43 pm

"Well met. Well met indeed." Sabal-Gah said with a note of satisfaction.

On the inside he was cackling. He had pledged to treat him as he would a brother. He was going to murder his brother! The irony was almost to much.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 01:58 pm

Digger withdrew and resheathed his dagger. He would have to clean it later.
"We should take care of Rieze." He said quietly, "Tie up the loose ends and then start to Avanoor. The road I know will get us there in a few days."

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 02:03 pm

"That suits me just fine." Sabal-Gah told him. And it did suit him just fine. Afterall, what phantoms and ghosts from the past does a man with no soul need to fear. They leave him be.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 02:05 pm

Digger nodded and waited for Sabal-Gah to leave first, gesturing for him to do so.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:16 am

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 04, 2004 - 06:12 pm

Pashir had kept a poker face. He had edged for the door, now in clear view of Digger as he rad for the door. He bolted outside, quickly untying his horse, and mounting it in a hurry to get away.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 06:38 pm

Sabal-Gah left taking the lead left by Digger. He was surprised to see Pashir running in the distance. He was a skilled man. Too bad he would soon be a dead one.

Sabal-Gah began a magical chant. "VERRO VETAX VERRO CARAE!" Lightening danced in his hand, hideous and terrable to behold. "Now die." He said. INstantly lightening shot from his hand to decorate Pahir's body. It surged in and out as smoke began to rise and his flesh began to burn.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 04, 2004 - 07:00 pm

Pashir fell from his horse, which galoped away. He breathed heavily, shaking in agony. He couldn't feel his legs. His muscles were violently tense. He turned to face his attacker. "Why...are...you...doing this? Hate...is..." His head fell aside, and he was departed, arms stretched out wide. His eyes were open, but dark, and empty. Black smoke drooled upward into the air from his clothes about his waste like an invading venom.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 04, 2004 - 07:08 pm

Digger watched Pashir die with mild disdain. He knew the man had been a fine warrior and something bothered him in the back of his mind to see him die this way. However, he said nothing as Sabal-Gah toasted him. He simply turned his back on the dying man and untied his horse, mounting. He looked over at Sabal-Gah as if waiting for instructions.

Posted By: Magus Sep 04, 2004 - 07:10 pm

Sabal-Gah was quick on his feet, but seemed to stroll after every kill. He was at the corpse as it spouted its last words. With emfasiving slowness he talked to the smoldering corpse at his feet. "I do this because I can, Pashir. Why should he live when all others have died? Why should he be so gifted. They say he was gifted with a soul and I was cursed without one. I think they have it wrong. He is imprissoned with one and I am free of that burden. VERRO MIANAMIANAMIA!" The corpse exploded in red flames. They began to die almost instantly. All that was left was ash.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 06:20 am

Digger raised his eyebrows slighting, wondering just how sane Sabal-Gah was. However, he decided after a moment that he'd worked for worse--even though that might have been a bit...overkill?

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 06:43 am

Sabal-Gah strolled back to Digger, a content grin painted on his face. He had had his jollies for one day. "Lets's be off."

He let out a quick high pitched wistle. Moments later his black mare charged to him and stopped short of him.

Sabal-Gah walked in the shed. When he came out he gently carried Hex in his arms. He placed her on the horse and got on behind her, holding the necromancer from behind. He wispered like a serpent into her ear.

"You will be usefull my dear, oh yes you will. More useful then you can possably know." And then, to Digger, "Let us fly away from here. You know the way?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 06:48 am

Digger nodded curtly, wondering just exactly what his words meant.

You will be useful--more than you can possibly know?

He had known going into this he was working with an illusionist. But now he had several things to add to that title; a crazy, manipulative and vengeful illusionist. He felt somewhat uncertain with the man, but did not let it show in his manner or expression. Instead he kicked his horse forward, into the strand of trees, expecting Sabal-Gah to follow.

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 08:40 am

Indeed Sabal-Gah followed. His black steed had no problem keeping up. On occassion he had to hold him back in order to keep from leading his guide. But the dawn began to rise, crimson and scarlet. It was a sign from above, a record of the previous nights events. Blood had been spilt, but not just Pashir's or from Digger and Sabal-Gah. Blood had been spilt elseware. Sabal Gah could guess where to. The new dawn rose forbodingly, foreshadowing things to come.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 08:51 am

Digger led the way through the trees, seemingly following an invisible path. He would occasionaly stop and adjust something on the trail, as if he was able to tell something from it. He ignored the rising dawn--it meant only that they would have light to guide them. As they progressed through the forest the trees became closer together and they were forced to move single file. Finally Digger stopped and made an abrupt turn, seemingly heading back the direction they had come. He did not look particulary happy.

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 10:13 am

"What is it?" Sabal-Gah inquired, obviously unhappy with the delay.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 10:25 am

Digger brushed past him, "The trail signs have been leaving warnings so far. This is where they stop. And by the looks of it--they were a big party. Their guide was a friend of mine, and he wouldn't just stop leaving marks." Digger met his eyes seriously, "Further up ahead are their bodies, if you care to look. As far as I can tell there was one who got away. I'm not sure how, or why, though. Probably an enchanter of some sort."

You didn't tell him?

No, Digger responded in his mind, I didn't. Why does he need to know it was one of us?

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 10:48 am

"Is that all?" He asked with a smug expression on his face. "I can just cast an illusion to make us undetectable. We can pass along with ease." Sabal-Gah kicked his horse forward and took the lead. He had cast the spell already, in his usual chantless voiceless way. They were safe from any threat.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 11:32 am

Digger turned his horse abruptly, "NO! Do not go into that wood, Sabal-Gah! Whatever killed those people is deadly dangerous. Do not enter into that wood."

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 04:01 pm

"Is there another alternative that you wish to share? I'm open for suggestions, but I see this as the best coarse of action. My illusions will disguise us and we will not be noticed by any creature that may dwell here."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 05, 2004 - 05:51 pm

Digger sighed. "No. There are no other alternatives. We must go around this particular area of trees."

Posted By: Magus Sep 05, 2004 - 08:03 pm

"Then let us make haste of it." Sabal-Gah moved ahead of Digger.

It's shameful, he thought, downright shameful. The guided leading his guide. This man should live up to his duties.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 08:57 am

Digger made a lunge at Sabal-Gah's horse and managed to grab it's tail. He jerked it back abruptly, halting the other man's progress. His eyes flashed as he spoke forbiddingly, "Did you hear what I said, Magician? It is death to go into those woods. We go around!"

Posted By: Magus Sep 06, 2004 - 08:59 am

"Did you hear what I said? My illusions will protect us from detection, from ANYTHING. Besides, we are on a mission of haste. How long would going around set us back? Days? Weeks? However long it is it is too long." Sabal-Gah stared at Digger, waiting for his response.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 09:15 am

"It would set us back only a day or two. One if we procede with haste. Whatever attacked those people is dangerous--even to you and your illisions, which I might add, failed before. We go around."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:17 am

Posted By: Magus Sep 06, 2004 - 09:17 am

"I was drained from other illusions I had to maintain, then. I am refreshed now and unhindered by needing to maintain other illusions. Every second we waste counts. Who knows exactly how far the other party has gotten. Do you wish to risk losing your sister forever because you were to afraid to get her while you still could? Do you want to risk letting her slip through your fingers as she must have so many times before? Well?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 09:29 am

Digger sighed. The man's arugment made sense, however, he had something for a retaliation, "They are a large party...more than five left the inn. It will take them longer. And by the way, I am not afraid to go into the clearing. I'm just not stupid enough to."

Posted By: Magus Sep 06, 2004 - 09:38 am

"Tuche." Sabal-Gah retorted. "A lagre party they were, indeed, but they are guided by a map that will show them their way. They are a party with the strength and will to go on past that of normal men. I assure you they have progressed further then you think. I also assure you we may very well lose them if we daudle much longer. I can protect us all with my illusions and so we have nothing to fear. We will not be found by whatever manner of man or beast did this."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 09:42 am

Digger snorted. "Rowena has--problems that will slow them down. And if she's managed to kill any of them...well," He shrugged. "There are other factors that you are not aware of here--do not let your pride lead you astray."

Posted By: Magus Sep 06, 2004 - 09:55 am

"And if she mannaged to kill any of them then they will move all the faster. And if she is what you make her out to be then surely they will kill her to rid themselves of such an nusence! Would you rather that, have your sister dead?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 10:02 am

Digger smiled a little and shook his head, "Rowena wouldn't let herself be killed in such a way--she has ways of...shall we say, escaping? Listen to me, Sabal-Gah, if you go into that wood you will die. Illusions or not." He frowned, not liking the personal attacks on his sister but staying silent on the subject.

Posted By: Magus Sep 06, 2004 - 10:07 am

"And what then, if she escapes? She'll be gone and lost and they will still move all the faster. We have no choice but to go through. I can protect us all. Illusions are powerful tools. No mind can resist the one's I throw out so long as I'm not strained."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 06, 2004 - 10:16 am

Digger moved forward and made a jerky movement as if to grab Sabal-Gah by the shirt. However, at the last moment, he restrained himself and sat back on his horse.
"Then you will be strained. We are not going into those woods."

Posted By: Mir Sep 07, 2004 - 11:27 am

Deep in the darkness, Hex stired. She calmly moved slightly, allowing the flow of darkness to move more easily about her. Sensing that something was different then when she had entered the darkness, she reluctantly opened her eyes, banishing the darkness back to the recesses of her mind.

Slowly her eyes fluttered open and she looked around, finding herself sitting on a horse. She nearly fell in shock, the shook her head to clear it.

Not sure what was going on, she turned to look at the person that she felt sitting behind her...

Posted By: Magus Sep 07, 2004 - 11:52 am

"Are you well, milady? I was worried for you." Sabal Gah asked, bringing his illusion back quickly as he could. He hopedd she hadn't seen him withought it, at least for too long to make sense of it.

Posted By: Mir Sep 07, 2004 - 12:35 pm

Hex looked over her shoulder; her senses still numb from the long unconsious spell. Through blurry eyes, she thought she saw some sort of devil creature sitting behind her. Her heart leapt a beat and horribly startled, she blinked her eyes to clear them and saw Sabal-Gah.

With a slight sigh of relief, she turned back and buried her face in the horse's mane, "I am fine good sir; it was merely one of my spells. My power sometimes strives to get away from me..."

Suddenly she realized that her wand was missing. Frantically she turned back to Sabal-Gah, "My wand...did you find it? Please say you retreived it for me." She looked at him with pleading eyes.

Posted By: Magus Sep 07, 2004 - 03:02 pm

From the ressesses of his cloak Sabal-Gah procurred the wand of bone. "Safe, as promised. She is ready to be taken up by her master once more."

Posted By: Mir Sep 07, 2004 - 03:24 pm

Hex reached out and quickly snatched the wand from Sabal-Gah, pulling it to her and clutching it protectively. She rubbed her fingers along it in a protective fashion, "HE, he is ready to be taken back...thank you for bringing it...this is irreplaceable."

She carfully tucked the wand back into it's place under her cloak, causing a strange clattering from a small bag hung at her belt. She quickly smoothed out the bag and the clattering stopped.

Finally she sat up a little, careful to avoid running into Sabal-Gah. She looked around, "Not to be rude good sir, but is there by any chance another horse; I am not comfortable in such close proximity to anyone..."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 07, 2004 - 04:25 pm

Digger sighed. He gave Hex a distinctly annoyed glare and got off his horse. "There are no other horses." He held the reins, looking very unhappy. "Concentrate on nothing but your spells, Magician. I will protect us as much as possible--but I can guarantee neither your safety, nor your pretty companion's. I will lead us through as best I can."

Posted By: Magus Sep 07, 2004 - 04:30 pm

"I can understand on being protective of your wand, it is the mage's greatest tool. It is precious to you, is it not?"

All the while Sabal-Gah guided the his horse, now a great white stallion, into the woods.

Posted By: Mir Sep 08, 2004 - 08:45 am

Hex mounted up on the horse, gladly taking a seat. She looked over at Sabal-Gah, now a bit ahead of her. She bent low and patted the horse before tapping it into with her heels.

As her horse followed Sabal-Gah's stallion, she reached under her cloak and felt the wand, mumbling to herself more quietly than could be heard, "It is more precious to me than any of you may know..."

Posted By: Mir Sep 08, 2004 - 09:49 am

Suddenly Hex turned towards Digger, "Thank you very much for the horse good sir...you are so kind."

She turned back towards the trail and tapped her horse so that it would catch up with Sabal-Gah's stallion.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 08, 2004 - 11:25 am

Digger nodded to her but rolled his eyes as she turned around. He was anxious to get through these woods--less his secret be discovered. He knew what had happened to that mage, and didn't like the others to see. Somehow he took it personally.

Digger...Elira sighed. You're so desparing. Maybe he just...

He had an argument with his pair. The mage must've killed him. He flinched slighly. From what I saw it looked like he blew up. I don't know how I'm supposed to explain it.

Maybe he won't ask.

And maybe he will.

Digger knelt and ran his knife across the base of a tree and put several notches in it, a sign for other travelers to avoid the area. The he got up and followed after the two horses, keeping just behind Hex as they crossed into what he had deemed the forbidden wood.

Posted By: Magus Sep 08, 2004 - 11:51 am

"And you, my friend, what do you think we will face in these woods? Have you the foggiest?" Sabal-Gah asked, turning to Digger.

Posted By: Mir Sep 08, 2004 - 12:15 pm

"Face?" Hex asked confused as she too turned to look at Digger, "Is there something that I should know good sirs?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:19 am

Posted By: SirJill Sep 08, 2004 - 12:24 pm

Digger muttered something under his breath. "Something large and magical. I wasn't sure of exactly what happened--but there is a creature with large amounts of magic in the woods we are about to enter. The man who was killed was very skilled with is magic and his sword, but we must not give him a passing glance. Go through as quickly as you can and make as little noise as possible. I will protect you as best I can."

They'll never believe you, Elira pointed out. You don't have a horse--how could you protect them? Besides, how could they not stare with that body the way it was?

I have to try.

Posted By: Mir Sep 08, 2004 - 12:44 pm

"As you say good sir..." Hex shrugged and allowed her horse to follow Sabal-Gah's stallion.

Posted By: Magus Sep 08, 2004 - 03:35 pm

"Trust my friend here. Let us pass through unnoticed if we may. There should be nothing to fear if we do."

Posted By: Mir Sep 08, 2004 - 04:22 pm

Hex gave Sabal-Gah a strange look, but said nothing. She merely allowed her horse to follow Sabal-Gah's stallion as they entered the wood.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 08, 2004 - 04:24 pm

Digger snorted. "Should be." He looked up at Sabal-Gah. "You want me to lead, I suppose."

Posted By: Magus Sep 08, 2004 - 04:54 pm

"You are the guide, are you not? Are you not the only one of us knowing the way you claim hidden to all others?" Sabal-Gah retorted good natured and innocently enough.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 08, 2004 - 05:08 pm

Digger nodded and edged in front of the two horses. "Make sure your illusions do not fail us." He said sternly and began walking though the trees toward the clearing.

Posted By: Magus Sep 08, 2004 - 05:14 pm

Sabal-Gah cast a harsh look at Digger. He hoped he would take the meening.

Just because I am an illusionist doesn't meen I disguise myself as one. Speak carefully lest you take us all down.

The look said.

"Why whatever do you meen?" He asked in innocent tones.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 09, 2004 - 09:18 am

Digger turned and looked back at him with a glare of his own. It said perfectly: I can blow this all open and you know it. Watch yourself.

After a moment he turned and drew his sword; advancing into the clearing every muscle in his body on alert.

Ahead of them was a strand of several trees with a body--or the remains of one planted in the middle. The scene could only be described as gruesome; there seemed to be blood everywhere. From what Digger could see the body was lying on it's back, the chest blown open; splattered against the trees. Digger's hand clenched around his sword as he walked quickly past the body, hoping the others would not look too closely.

There was one thing that stood out to him like a sore thumb. A blood-smeared pendant hanging from a branch just above where the man's head had been. He drew in a deep breath and continued on, moving as fast and quietly as he could.

Posted By: Mir Sep 09, 2004 - 09:25 am

Hex's horse shied away from the body as she passed, and she had to jerk the reins to get it back under control. As she did, she saw the body quite clearly, and her eyes widened in horror. She had to look away before she became to ill. Without a word she tapped her horse to make it move faster and tried not to think about what she had seen.

Posted By: Magus Sep 09, 2004 - 11:49 am

Sabal-Gah viewed the corpse and viewed witness to Hex's reactions. He was moved by neither pity, remorse nor fear. A man with no soul fears none of these. Besides, he had done worse before. What could possably be worse then burning you parent's alive and dancing in time with their screams?

Posted By: SirJill Sep 09, 2004 - 12:01 pm

Digger kept moving quickly--but they still had to actually travel around the body before they could resume a more normal pace. He hurtled silently toward where he knew the trail picked up again, crossing onto it and slowing down just a touch.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 09, 2004 - 02:27 pm

Oh, how long it had been since he fed. Meat, so fresh, so potent with the smell of blood, not just their own, but the blood of many, staining their hands... his mouth watered with the overload.

His pure white eyes stared through the low foliage, the massive beast somehow managing to hide himself among the forest. He let loose a low, rumbling growl, more of a subconscious reaction to his new find than of a willing action.

He stepped forward, dust rising where his feet pounded into the ground, twigs and old branches snapping easily. Sounds mattered not to him, for now he would make his attack.

His body quivered with adrenaline, and drool poured from his bloodstained fangs. Nothing could give the beast greater satisfaction than live flesh.

His right claw, more talons than actual hands now, gripped the trunk of a tree as he prepared his attack. His talons dug into the bark, another subconscious muscle reaction. Rare events like these almost made him lose entire control of himself, but he had enough strength to limit the feral rage.

And then, he attacked, running half on all fours and half on his legs, with speed belying the fastest of beasts. He was large and muscular, but quite small, as if it broke the laws of existence itself in the fact that a beast like this could contain so much strength. At full height, he would have been able to stand up to nine feet tall, but due to his current form he was hunched over, now reaching an average of six feet. He looked to be a werewolf, yet many features were different about him. He had no nose, merely a huge, fanged maw able to tear apart solid iron, and burning white eyes that seemed to be able to pierce stone. Nor did he have ears, but black, obsidian-colored horns, small yet still able to gore a man to death with one blow.

The only fur left on his sont-egray body was a large, white, flowing mane from the back of his neck, stretching down to his shoulders. He wore an armored belt and knee-length, wide pants, dark blue in color, ending at the knees with another piece of armor. The armor wasn't shiny, rather it was dull yet strong, the armor of a battle-hardened Orc. In place of a furry wolf's tail was a long, agile tail that looked as if it belonged more on a dragon, nearly as long as an average man stood tall. His legs were inverted, much like a werewolf's legs.

His actual physique was odd, for he was actually quite skinny, more so than any beast one would imagine, at least, making it seem as if this beast was more attuned to speed than strength, yet his display of such strength told otherwise. He ran, and leapt into the air, pounding his girth into a large tree trunk, making the foliage above shudder with a tremor, leaves falling to the ground in large quantities. His momentum allowed him to leap to another tree trunk, leaping higher into the foliage as he approached, until finally the beast was above the crowd, gripping onto a tree trunk merely by means of digging his talons into its trunk.

He launched off of the lumbersome giant, unleashing a primal roar, even among beast kind able to strike fear into the most ferocious of them, a true battle cry.

Posted By: Mir Sep 09, 2004 - 02:54 pm

Hex's head lashed around, looking for the source of the sound. She saw the beast headed for them and quickly tumbled from her horse, reaching for her bone wand.

From somewhere to her right a voice called out, "I would not do that, you will only anger him."

Hex, baffled, tried to find which direction the sound was coming from, but failed.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 09, 2004 - 03:09 pm

His target had escaped, but the majority of the meat still remained.

He fell upon the horse, and it neighed as it tumbled down, the beast nearly matching its size going into a primal rage, tearing it apart, consuming its organs even as they still tried to pump life into the steed.

He looked up, maw caked in blood, his white eyes burning with hunger, his stomach still not satisfied. He returned to his hunched stance, his massive tail swishing this way and that as he prepared to attack, barely keeping control of himself as he stood there.

He let forth another roar, this one a willing action, one to strike fear into his prey. The cry echoed through the forest, and birds in the distance could be heard flcoking away from the danger that had met their ears.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 09, 2004 - 04:16 pm

Digger whirled at the sound of a rumble deep in the forest. He knew his story about monsters in this wood had been just that--a story. There wasn't supposed to be any truth in it. But there it was--devouring his horse. He swung the sword, moving forward as Hex jumped off the horse. He was still several feet away from the monster, sword held in front of him.

Elira?

You want magic now?

No...but I might give you control real quick. If my sword doesn't do anything....this could get nasty real quick.

By now the monster had let forth it's bone chilling roar. Digger's hands loosened around the sword but he gripped it fimly again. He moved forward so Hex was behind him, whispering tersely.

"Stay back. If I want help I'll ask for it."

Posted By: Mir Sep 09, 2004 - 04:19 pm

Elenor stepped from between the trees, a slightly amused expression on her face. Her strange, notched ears drawing Hex's attention despite the danger. She was sure that she had seen them before but couldn't place them. She was sure that it had to be important.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 09, 2004 - 04:40 pm

His roar rumbled on, his body shaking violently as the sound escaped his lungs. It lowered to a growl as more blood poured from his mouth.

He could smell more meat than he could see, but now this wasn't his main concern. His head darted left and right, smell after smell attacking him, yet nothing being where he expected it to be.

But one smell, a familiar one, caught his senses, and this was the smell of one he could actually see. Through his burning eyes of rage he saw... her. The one who had given him his strength.

He stood in indescision now, his hunger telling him to attack what he saw, but his mind telling him not to. But the other smells... the rest of the meat... He would have his fill by this day's end!

Posted By: Magus Sep 09, 2004 - 04:43 pm

A dark enshrouded figure revealed himself behind the woman in the tree's. It was Sabal-Gah, or at least an illusion of him. He had heard her inbetween the trees and had seen her when she stepped out. The illusion came in his true form.

"Who are you, woman? And what do you want? Be quick with your tongue or find yourself removed of it." Asked in a harsh and yet curious tone. She knew something about this creature, or this place, maybe even both. He didn't know what be knew that she knew.

Sabal-Gah, the true flesh and blood illusionist guised as a necromancer, fell silent. He focussed inward unto himself to assisst with the spell. He trusted Digger enough to give him at least a small start on the beast.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 09, 2004 - 06:20 pm

Another showed itself just then, although he didn't look hardly enough to fill his hungry desires. Nevertheless, he charged at the one who looked to be a mage, roaring and flying into a vicious leap, both claws wide to grapple the mage in an embrace of death, hanging in the air as if time itself slowed down.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:24 am

Posted By: Mir Sep 10, 2004 - 08:23 am

Despite her fear, and the knowledge that a bloodthirsty beast was not too far off, Hex was mesmerized by the newcomer. Surely Hex remembered her from somewhere. She was an elf, about five foot two with a very slender build. She had short white hair that was pulled back in an efficient bun. The elf had dark silver eyes that seemed to glow on their own, and her features were all sharp and angular. She appeared to have very pale skin and wore a short white dress reminicent of a medical uniform with one black stripe down the left side.

Elenor ignored the person breifly, turning to Rautul. She quirked an eyebrow and spoke to him, ignoring the male that had appeared so close to her, "Rautul, you have already eaten, is it necessary to destroy all of them before we have a chance to speak?"

Hex shivered at the uncaring voice, she knew this person, but from where? The wand at her side was glowing a fierce white, trapped powers striving to be released. Her fear was raising her power...

Ignoring the nagging sensation of the familiarity of the elf, Hex snatched her wand and pointed it at the sky above the beast. She made a quick slicing motion and a dark rift appeared overhead. White light shot from her wand, darkenning as it moved. When it struck the rift, the opening widened into a yawning abyss and countless sets of blood red eyes peered out. Suddenly a hush fell over the clearing, seeming to obscure all sound. Gradually a whispering of building volume could be heard. The whispers hung like dark air, stiffling the area and creeping into minds, trying to drive all those in the vicinity mad. With each minute the whispers' powers rose.

Hex closed her eyes and covered her ears, not even able to stand her own spell. This was one of her least directed spells, she had no control over how it would end now. She shook her head, trying to drive the whispers out, but they crept in anyhow, telling her things that made her want to bash her own head in to make them stop. Tears ran down her cheeks as she fought the voices.

And admist all of the chaos, Elenor calmly stood, watching the reactions of the others.

Posted By: Magus Sep 10, 2004 - 12:43 pm

"Speak woman! Who and what are you? It is not wise to agitate me further on the matter!" Sabal-Gah's illusionary self spoke to the woman before him.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 10, 2004 - 01:04 pm

The abrupt distortion--whatever it was--had broken the beast's concentration, and he flew past the mage, langing into the side of a large tree, nearly uprooting the thing with the force he had put into the attack.

He fell to the ground, grabbing his skull, and began to roar, a demonic howl that would have drowned out the noise if he had put forth a bit more effort.

And then there was that girl, she had said 'Rautul'... that was his name. Had his rages gone that far, for him to forget his own name?

Was it necessary to destroy them all? Elanor had asked him this question, and he had an answer. Yes! This sound was nearly unbearable, and the only thing he could think of to null the pain was to do what he did every time he had pain... Kill!

He roared with such ferocity and rage that his entire body began to shake violently, the force of the roar nearly able to knock a man from his feet, as he howled into the sky. Soon the pain would become too great for him, and he would lose complete control.

And they would all die.

Posted By: Chymera Sep 10, 2004 - 01:27 pm

Ok... if i understand correctly from the summary, Hex is a wounded necromancer who is teaming up with Sabal-Gah who is making Hex think the party is evil?

If this is so, then there is a sign post up advertising Chymera's Mountain Healing Sanctuary, half a days walk, (to Lycoria city? help me out here) and healing for all the wounded.

Posted By: Magus Sep 10, 2004 - 01:27 pm

Sbal-Gah knew that this entire journey through the woods had gone sour. If he didn't do something soon they all would die, and so would his quest for his brother's life.

He cast illusions, many this time. Illusions of birds and of cows; of cats, rats, mice and dogs. Mostly, though, they were men. they were the white peoples of the North and the dark peoples of the South. Elves gayly dancing around, Dwarves moping around, and men meandering around. With so many targets how could this bloodthirsty beast, for surely he must be, resist such a delightful smorgusboard.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 10, 2004 - 01:35 pm

He had to control himself. He couldn't risk losing control again, the pain afterwards on his mind would be... He shuddered at the thought.

Last time he had almost had a seizure.

He could see the animals, the men, the creatures, but he could not smell them. And the whispers, attacking his mind, if only he could do something to make it stop!

Then, there was that mage. He had done this! The beast could tell he had, the look on his eyes was all the proof he needed.

The beast took a pounding step forward, the whispers and the sights attacking his mind, but no longer his hunger. The pain had destroyed his appetite, and now all he wanted was something neigh-impossible to get for one of his kind: some peace and quiet!

Another step, and another, barely managed through the pain. He finally reached the mage, towering over the man with white eyes of fire. He hunched lower for his eyes to meet the mage's, and let loose a roar directly in his face.

In the same motion he had gripped the man by the neck, finishing the roar as he lifted him into the air with the monstrous arm and claws. Through the roar one could discern human speech:

"Make... it... stop!"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 10, 2004 - 02:16 pm

Digger drew back, still wary. He wasn't sure what was going on--but the knew the whispers in his mind were part of the spell the girl had cast. He backed up several paces, watching the exchange between Sabal-Gah...or what seemed to be Sabal-Gah and the monster. The others around him, he guessed, were illsions--how could the beast have found Sabal-Gah so easily?

Posted By: Mir Sep 10, 2004 - 03:21 pm

Hex's mind was a blur of pain. She turned to the nearest tree and smashed her head into it, trying to stop the whispers. Some part of her knew that there was a way, but she couldn't make them go away. She would rather die than suffer this any longer. Suddenly the volume of the whispers rose to an ongoing howl. She screamed in pain and smashed her head into the tree one more time. There was a throb of pain, then she felt her legs grow weak. She leaned into the tree, slowly sliding down it and crumpling to the ground. There she lay motionless.

As suddenly as it had appeared, the gap in the sky closed, silencing the whispers and howls as though they had never exsisted. With no one to channel energy to it, the gate between planes could no longer stay open.

Posted By: Mir Sep 10, 2004 - 03:27 pm

Elenor focused on the crumpled form. She easily recognized this particulay necromancer. No other one would be able to open a gate so easily. This was one of Elenor's specimens, a Klundor necromancer. The experiments with her had turned out particularly well.

With the specimen down, and no need for it to occupy her attention any longer, she turned her attention to Rautul. "Rautul, I said do not kill them." Her voice was no different then it had been, but she raised her hand and with a flick of her wrist a black wall appeared between the charging Rautul and Sabal-Gah's illusion.

Elenor turned to Sabal-Gah's illusion, "I am Elenor Darkvein. I see that you seem to have found one of my specimens." She made a slight nod towards the downed Hex.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 10, 2004 - 05:29 pm

Sabal-Gah spoke through his illusion, making it look over at Hex before speaking, "Yes."

Digger advanced quickly, still wary and interrupted before Sabal-Gah could get any further. "Experiments?" His tone was very, very quiet and it was clear he was extremely angry "What experiments?"

My goddess--I've found one. One of the bastards that made us.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 10, 2004 - 07:13 pm

D**n that woman, and d**n that pact he had made with her! If he hadn't made that promise he would kill her right here, but he was one of honor, even if the body that held such honor was now gone.

He reared back and sat against a tree stump, his tail curling around to his front, and he rested his forehead in one of his hands.

"I suppose you want to join them, now, and observe your specimens," Rautul asked. She made no response, typical of her.

"Whatever," the beast growled. He turned to the others, the rage in his eyes burning away from pure exhaustion. "My name is, well, was, Rautul Sargonnas, of the Dauracul Tribe. Just call me Sargonnas."

He spoke his name as if it were just another growl, and the rest of his words, as well, yet the speech, despite his demonic voice, told them that he was in fact capable of gaining control of himself, and was not just a wild beast.

He was worse than a wild beast, thanks to this woman's experiment.

Posted By: Mir Sep 13, 2004 - 08:27 am

Elenor nodded as Rautul seemed to get a hold of himself and turned away from him, no longer interested in what he was doing. The crumpled form of the other specimen seemed to hold more of her interest. She had never expected any of the original experiments to survive the slaughter, especially one of such calliber. They should have been very careful to put one such as the Klundor down.

Ignoring all of the others, Elenor brushed past them and went to stand beside the fallen Klundor. Blood ran freely from the multiple wounds that Hex had inflicted on herself in an attempt to make the spell stop. The carefully carved bone wand lay in her limp fingers; almost glowing with power still.

Elenor bent nearer to the Klundor's face, trying to discern any expression or difference from the last time she had seen this specimen. Yes, she looked much more aware now, almost as if she had surpressed the experiment all together. Its power evidently lingered though.

Posted By: Magus Sep 13, 2004 - 11:59 am

"It apears we have found one of your... experiments. I have grown to have a certain fondness for what she can do... what I can use her for. I would like to know how you managed such a feet of magic? You can have her, if you like, but only if I can have her secrets."

Posted By: Mir Sep 13, 2004 - 02:30 pm

"I am afraid that you are not capable of understanding the care that was put into that particular specimen. My master's experiments were more advanced than you or anyone else here could possibly understand. Let us say that great efforts and magics were expended in her creation." Elenor responded without even looking at Sabal-Gah. She was still too busy looking at Hex. She was truly amazed that the specimen had survived, none the less seemed fairly well intact and functioning.

After the amount of magical and physical damage that had been inflicted on her body and mind, it was a miracle that she still stood, or thought.

Slowly she looked away from Hex, "I have no more use for this specimen save perhaps observing it. This particular experiment was more succesful than I had thought, but not exceptional."

Posted By: Magus Sep 13, 2004 - 02:40 pm

Sabal-Gah made the one illusion of him dissappear. It reapeared to her left, dissapeared, and reapeared on her left, dissappeared, reapeared behind her, disappeared and then reappeared in front of her once more.

"I too have great amounts of magic to expend. Show me the way, and I can guarantee that she won't die. I could use her to further my own ends, but her life would end oh so quickly. Show me the way and I won't need to use her that way."

Posted By: Mir Sep 13, 2004 - 03:56 pm

Elenor gave Sabal-Gah a bland look, "Your display itself shows me that you could not comprehend what is needed for such magics. My master would have turned you away for your arrogance."

With a slight nod towards Hex she continued, "This specimen means little to me, why would I care what happens to it beyond perhaps wishing to study it again. Do with it as you wish. It will not die as easily as you think."

Posted By: Mir Sep 13, 2004 - 04:02 pm

Elenor finally turned to look at Digger, though she had made no attempt to respond to him earlier. "My masters experiments were genius. He was the first to think of using magic in such a way. Only he could unleash the true power of his specimens. My power is no where near to matching his, but as you can see from the specimen that travels with me, my powers are not lacking either." She made a motion towards Rautul.

Posted By: Magus Sep 13, 2004 - 04:34 pm

"Yes, indeed." Sabal-Gah said coldly, musing her words. "But, how do you expect to study your precious "experiment" after she's dead? I wonder, because after death she will never be fully restored; body, yes; mind, maybe; but soul and spirit? No. And you underestimate myself little woman. Do not pretend to believe me incompetent or a fool. I am far the greater Mage then you will ever become."

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 10:45 am

Elenor turned to him and gave him a thoughtful look, "Perhaps you are more powerful than me, but truly greater? I think not. I am capable of feats that none of the other students of my master could comprehend. I do not say this out of arrogance; it is merely a fact that I know to be true."

She waved her hand in a dismissal gesture and continued on, "You on the other hand strut about and preen yourself, confident that you know all and are that much more powerful. This draws attention to you and gains you enemies. Very powerful enemies I would asume."

She turned and studied Hex, still continuing her lecture, "One like you could not begin to master the type of magics needed to harness the full potential of a spirit and its magical properties. There is no place for arrogance in the magics in which I deal. If you let your guard down while you are channeling them, even for a moment, they will take you as they would take the specimen, and with no control over the flow..." She stopped and turned back to Sabal-Gah, running a hand along her notched ears, "You my dear mage would be nothing more than a pile of bones."

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 11:15 am

Sabal-Gah gave a grim smile, a sinister grin, at the woman.

"Perhaps, but perhaps not. You'd be surprised the limits of a man without a soul. To kill without remorse and gain without guilt... You'd be very surprised indeed on exactly what I am able to accomplish.

Mine is the stuff of nightmares. I can manifest your worst fears and darkest pleaseures. I can twist your mind in agony or bend your imagination to my will. I can take your mind and wield it as a weapon. I can make the flesh peal from your bones and your skin crawl from this side of the ground to that. I can take your precious creation and turn it against you. What would it take? A cow? A pig? Maybe even a nice fattened calf? But I can assure you that it wouldn't take much."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:26 am

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 11:26 am

Elenor's eyes narrowed ever so slightly, one of the few signs that she was growing annoyed with this man. She let the corners of her mouth twitch in a slight smile, "You wish to know the secret of my master's power? Perhaps I should tell you how to release your hidden power. Would you risk what it may do to you?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 11:29 am

"A man with no soul cannot know any fear. I am prepared for it, should it give me that which I desire."

Sabal-Gah ment it. Whatever it did, whatever it took, if it gave him the power he desired he would even take in a soul.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 11:41 am

"You have said that you have no soul, but many have called me soulless as well. What would you do if you were to find that you really had one." Elenor's lips twitched again and she took a step forward, "What would you do if you were not so different from the one that you hunt?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 11:45 am

"Are you implying that I actually have a soul? Or is it that it will require one? I assure you that I was born an empty vessel in the matter of souls. But I further assure you that if it requires a soul, or anything else for that matter, I am willing to comply."

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 11:49 am

Elenor's face remained unchanged as she watched Sabal-Gah.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 11:56 am

Now," He began, still holding that grin to his face. "What could you do for me. But, much more importantly, what are you asking in return. Nothing in this world of ours is without a price. What's yours?"

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 11:59 am

"If I really cared for any of the specimens, I would tell you to release the one you now have, however I do not. My price is that you allow me and both of the specimens to acompany you. I wish to see how the interaction these specimens plays out." Her cold voice revealed no emotion as she spoke.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 12:03 pm

"Done." He said, giving a ghastly fanged smile. He retracted his illusion of himself and returned his primary focus to his body. He knew she would come to him. They always did.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 12:17 pm

Elenor shook her head in disdain. Amazed that this wizard was so arrogant as to beleive her fooled. After she was done with him, he wouldn't be so arrogant.

She looked around until she found his real body and stepped close to him. She raised her hands, palms out, and closed her eyes to focus her energy. Dark lights began to dance in the air around her and black fire twisted about her arms. She opened her eyes and they blazed with an inner radiance, "This is the power that you desire?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 12:51 pm

Sabal-Gah viewed her feets of magical enhancement. She had done something... he couldn't quite place it. But yes, he was indeed different. But what was that feeling, the one itching and writhing in the back of his mind?

A man with no soul could never feel remorse, not know what it feels like. It's not a surprise he didn't know what he felt, or how to react to it. He let out a cackleous laugh.

"Indeed! Let me test this new power."

He summoned an illusion, nothing complicated. He only needed to test what he was sure had just happened, what he was sure he could now do.

In his hands appeared a dagger, a simple medal blade to a simple metal handle.

He threw it, quick as a flash, at a tree. It sank in deep. He retracted the illusion and yet the gash remained.

In silent awe he walked up to it, transfixed on the fresh gash in its bark. He slowly, ever so gingerly, touched the gash, stroking it gently. He turned to the witch who had made all of this possable. Indeed he was in her debt.

"The illusion is gone!" He breathlessly exclaimed. "The illusion is gone but the gash remains! You indeed are a miracle worker!"

But what was this he felt, this new feeling that coarsed through his mind and ran through him like lightening? Was this joy he felt, hgappyness? Was he feeling gratitude?

No, it couldn't be. He had no soul and so had no emotion. It couldn't possably be joy or gratitude or gods •••••• happyness. But then what was it that he felt, if not those things? What had she done to him?

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 01:14 pm

The darkness around Elenor faded and she watched with interest as the new experiment began. She thought that they worked better when the specimen was initially willing, as Rautul and the one that now lay unconsious had been. When they gave her full power and did not resist, the magics were that much more powerful.

Slowly she yawned and turned from him, "You have the power you wished, do you not? Now we will see if I was right about you."

She walked over and knelt by Hex, brushing the long blue hair out of her face. With gentle efficiency, she began tending to the wounds. No poin in letting a specimen of such calliber die after all.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 01:20 pm

Sabal-Gah cast dismissed the thoughts. He had no soul, never had and never will.

He lost no timew in casting himself an illusionary familier. Or was it? He supposed he had just conjurred an actual one.

"Fly my spy. Return with the location of my brother and his little party. I wish to know where to strike him."

The crow of the deepest black flew off into the distance. But he would return before too long, Sabal-Gah supposed. Crow's had a nack at locating magical energies, and his brother wouldn't be hard to miss, especially with that jewel of his.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 01:27 pm

Elenor carefully smoothed out the bloody hair, wishing that there was water to clean it with. She couldn't stand grime, and especially didn't enjoy having to run her hands through blood to find the wounds that needed bandages.

With a look of disdain, she relinquished her complete hold over her power. Slowly a black liquid oozed from her hands, slowly coating the Klundor's body and causing her to shiver. She allowed the strange liquid to flow for several moments before cutting it off. She stood and left Hex lying there with the oily substance covering her.

"Where do we travel now dear wizard, do you know where to find what you so evidently seek?" Her face was emotionless, and she barely flicked an eye as if the expenditure of magic meant nothing to her.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 01:39 pm

"Indeed, we seek my brother to kill him. I've already sent a dispatch of my own to locate him." Then, with a look he couldn't quite place himself, he cast another illusion.

Two buckets overflowing with clear cold water appeared in front of the woman who had given him this new power.

"I hope you do clean her, she is quite filthy. And I can't stand the smell of her hardly at all."

Who was he kidding with this act? Who was he kidding making it out like he was the one who needed her cleaned? Did he really expect them to buy it? Somehow he had felt compassion, pity even. enough at least to show this small mercy to them. And why did he feel GOOD when he did it.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 01:46 pm

"Clean her? Oh, the specimen. I believe that she will be quite clean in a short time. I used one of my weaker magics, but it can do that much."

She looked over at Hex, and sure enough, the oily substance was boiling away on its own, leaving no sign that there had even been any blood or grime. The Klundor seemed to be sleeping quite peacefully.

However, she did take one of the buckets and dip a rag in the cold water, putting it carefully across Hex's head. She stood and left the bucket sitting there, not having any further use of it at the moment, though she was slightly surprised that the water had become real. She seemed to have endowed him with more power than she had meant to.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 01:53 pm

"How will you explain yourself to her? You and that thing?" He asked, gesturing towards the creature that had attacked them.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 01:57 pm

"Fortunately, I am very competent at my craft. Upon waking she will realize that I am no threat to her. Molding minds is not too difficult a task for me."

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 01:59 pm

"Nor for I."

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 02:12 pm

Elenor gave him a bland look, "My dear wizard, I was one of the few allowed to work with this specimen. Her mind has been molded and tampered with to suit the request she gave us, but there are side effects. I would not carelessly try to work with her mind. Allow me to do this task."

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 02:15 pm

"Fine, as you will it."

Was that resentment in his voice? He couldn't care less for this girl and her master... but he did. He cared for her... the way a man will care for something he can't have, just because he's told he cannot have it.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:27 am

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 02:25 pm

Elenor's eyebrow raised slightly in amusement, not even enough of a motion to see. She turned and laid a hand on Hex's head. Suddenly there was a flare of darkness and Hex's head was forced back against the tree trunk.

Elenor stood back, her shoulders quivering ever so slightly, "It has adapted well. This specimen can barely remember the experiment and function on a normal level. I had not expected this. Perhaps there is knowledge to be gained from watching it for a while more."

She turned to Sabal-Gah, "It is done. Her mind is not easily controlled though, we must be careful not to wake her suspicions."

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 02:28 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a sinister grin. "No, we wouldn't want that. Now would we. I can handle myself as I always have."

Sabal-Gah changed from his true form to that of the Necromancer's. But this was no illusion, he was actually this necromancer who, by sheer chance, he had found and killed on the road not too long ago.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 02:38 pm

Elenor watched Sabal-Gah with minor intrest, wondering how long it would take the seed of doubt she had planted in the Klundor's mind to sprout and cause her to attack or flee this group. That would be interesting when the time came. Neither would she mention that her "minor magic" had completely healed her specimen. When she woke she would be back to full strength.

"Well, shall we wait for my specimen to wake?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 02:41 pm

"Or I could wake her for you." Sabal-Gah mentioned.

Around his hands purple lightening danced and lept.

"I could wake her this very instant. No need to wait for her."

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 03:16 pm

Elenor sighed and shook her head, "No dear wizard, you would only anger her. Pain, anger, and fear cause her to become very powerful. That spell earlier was merely a tidbit of what she is truly capable of."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 14, 2004 - 03:42 pm

Digger had stood by, watching this conversation take place, on hand holding his sword. He was half stunned and in shock.

Is this really the woman who has done this to us? He wondered, studying her closely.

Posted By: Mir Sep 14, 2004 - 04:01 pm

Elenor turned her head and looked at Digger her eyebrows arching in surprise. She took a step towards him, "You are not one of my master's creations, but I can sense the power about you. Were you perhaps improved as well?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 14, 2004 - 04:36 pm

Digger swung his sword and advanced toward her, is shock melting away; replaced by his anger. "Improved?" He spat, "Is that what you call it? Deformed more like." He came very close to her, the sword dangerously close to her heart. "Were you one of those that was involved in The Compound?" He asked quietly.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 14, 2004 - 05:25 pm

Rautul stepped toward the group with thundering steps, now calm and seeming almost harmless if it werent for the telltale talons and rows of fanged, bloodstained teeth. Although it was meant as no threa,t he let loose a low, emonic growl as he approached.

"Look, woman," his guttural voice called to Elanor, "I'm still hungry. And I really don't feel like having another one of your cursed convulsions."

He turned to Sabal-Gah, string him in the face. "If it were up to me, this woman here isn't as good as she says she is. I've been through more pain than pleasure being her •••••• guinea pig. I'd say she's lucky I'm willing to take so much punishment for my revenge."

He left the group, with his back turned, freely exposed to those who had good reason to kill him, a simultaneous sign of insult and respect.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 05:30 pm

"Still hungry, eh? Think you could down a couple more pigs? Think you could stuff them in your mouth all at once? Do you?" Sabal-Gah tounted the beast.

At the same time he materialized another true illusion, another true object. The heard of wild bores atmpeded from its right to his left, slow and fattened.

Let's see him make a meal from that. Sabal-Gah would flaunt his new powers to himself at any opportunity.

Physically manifested illusions. He could hardly get his mind around the concept.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 14, 2004 - 05:40 pm

Rautul glanced at the animals, no doubt wanting the sweet taste of their flesh, but he seemed to not be affected at all, for now he had control of himself. He would not be fooled by this man's illusions again.

But, they had a smell, now!

He kept his gaze fixed on Sabal-Gah. "Or, I could devour YOU in one gulp instead. I'm more than capable of doing so, but with so little flesh on your body, I hardly think you sufficient enough to fill my stomach."

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 05:46 pm

"I would like to see the attempt you cretinous glut! You have all the food you could want before you! Why don't you take a bite, sweet sweet pig flesh, that's what you want, isn't it? Why not take at least one bite. Be assured that these are no more illusions. I can manifest my illusions into a reality!"

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 14, 2004 - 05:51 pm

"Hah, don't talk so much. Your ego can't fit in this forest as things stand," he said, but nvertheless he grabbed an animal to show it was a mere illiustion to the delusional Neromancer and took a bite out the incorporeal--

It was real! It bled, it screamed in pain, and it tasted wonderful. In a seemingly monstrous rage, Raurul tore the thing down to its very skeleton, satisfied afterwards.

"Well, then. Thanks, I guess. Here I was thinking you were some emotionless demon-human, but I guess I was wrong. How's it feel to be 'nice' for a change? Hmm?" Rautul asked, more like taunted, as the lastof the animal's blood dripped form his maw.

Posted By: Magus Sep 14, 2004 - 05:54 pm

Something about what the beast said bothered Sabal-Gah. He wasn't being noce. It certainly wasn't his intention. He couldn't be nice regardless. No soul, remember?

"My ego may be too big for this forest, but your stomach could fit the world and stars ten times over. And afterwords you'd still whine over there being nothing to eat."

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 14, 2004 - 06:09 pm

"Ain't that the truth," Rautul replied, seeming to take pride in his monstrous appetite.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 03:49 am

"Indeed." Sabal-Gah said, musing the situation to himself.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 15, 2004 - 03:52 am

Digger advanced on the woman sho his sword was only hairs away from her neck. "I am warning you; speak true and answer quickly; lest my hands slip."

Posted By: Mir Sep 15, 2004 - 08:23 am

Elenor sighed and brushed a strand of hair that had slipped from her bun away from her face. It was so bothersome when that happened, "I know of no "Compound" as you call it; I did not take part in any creation like you. My master was trying to bring out the inner potential of someone, not improve them by adding a completely new being. I do however, find the concept quite interesting."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 15, 2004 - 01:25 pm

Digger glared fiercely at her, "And if you attempt it with anyone I will kill you. Do not let your mind wander over the possiblities." He sheathed his sword and took a few steps back, standing just behind Sabal-Gah. He seemed oddly relieved.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 15, 2004 - 01:28 pm

"Your master brings out potential while you do just as you said he would not. Interesting thought there, woman," Rautul mused in a low growl.

He walked to up her, his white eyes seeming to encompass not her body but her very soul in his vision.

"After all, how do you explain me?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:30 am

Posted By: Mir Sep 15, 2004 - 02:03 pm

Elenor slowly turned to him, her expresion even colder than usual, "Your potential was very hard to tap into. It required certain modifications. All specimens have had modifications, only the level required and how much they effect ones appearance are greatly different."

She looked again towards Hex, "That specimen's power was trapped very deep. It required much alteration to bring out, only it was alteration of the mind, not the body. You wanted strength, so your body had to be altered to its full potential."

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 15, 2004 - 03:11 pm

"Certain modifications, huh? Is that what they call it these days?"

He turned his monstrous form to face Digger. "What she's trying to say is that she merged me with a beast."

He turned back to Elanor, "See, now wasn't that easier to say?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 03:46 pm

"What manner of beast, pray tell, was used. It desn't appear to me as anything I have come across. But, truly, it is a hideous thing. I would have killed myself long ago if I were you, and rid the world of my presence and stench."

Posted By: Mir Sep 15, 2004 - 04:01 pm

Elenor turned and spent a moment perfecting her hair, making sure that not a strand was out of place. She knelt by Hex and began studying her again.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 15, 2004 - 04:01 pm

"MY stench? You should smell yourself, old man. Of course, you probably don't have the senses for it, but compared to you I smell pretty good. I suppose its all of those rotting potions and whatnot you keep in places I've seen mages forget about, I can't be sure. Never liked your kind anyway..." he rambled off, and leapt into a tree trunk, clawing his way to the high foliage. He decided he'd take a light nap for now.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 15, 2004 - 04:08 pm

Digger simply laughed. His face showed scorn, but he was bleeding inside.

His memories of Rowena had come back.

Flashes of his childhood ran together before his eyes and he felt an unknown longing for his sister choke him. He hadn't seen her in so long--she must have changed so much--she must have become a woman. He swallowed. So different from the willful young girl he had known.

Posted By: Mir Sep 15, 2004 - 04:27 pm

Elenor ignored the comotion behind her and continued to tend to Hex.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 05:25 pm

"You call me old man? Maybe you are blind, as well as slow of mind."

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 15, 2004 - 06:22 pm

In his drowsiness, Rautul let loose a muffled, growling curse at the Necromancer in reply, but it was hardly discernable, for he was drifting to sleep and was quite coated in foliage to muffle his words. Of course, one of them would recognize it as old Orcish, provided they had heard it.

Rautul Sagonnas fell asleep, his tail still swishing this way and that like the tail of a feline.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 06:28 pm

Sabal-Gah-Gah saw the beast fall to sleep. He made an illusionary bird, a great crow; large as an eagle. It lifted him up to the top of the tallest tree in the immediate surroundings, where it dissappeared. He stretched out on one of it's great braches, leaning against the main post of the ancient tree. There, for the first time in weeks, he fell into natural sleep, full of foul dreams of his brothers end at his hands.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 06:33 pm

**Nightfall that evening, several hours after. The stars are out and the moon is in its waxing cresent, a few days short of being full. The night is dark and a bird of some kind cries in the night.**

Sabal-Gah woke with a start. His dreams had been what they had been for countless years. His brother was on his knees before him, his throat slit and spilling blood onto his boots. Pleasent dreams.

Pleasent dreams? It couldn't have been pleasent. He can't feel emotions. But he did and it was. It had been a pleasent dream.

A murder of crows cawed and cackled in the cool night air. How long had he been sleeping? It seemed to have been a few hours, but he couldn't be sure.

He summoned the bird once more. It carried him down and disappeared once more. He turned to the others. The beast still lay alseep in the distance.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 15, 2004 - 06:48 pm

Waking from his "nest" in the high foliage, Rautul leapt dwon at once, sending tremor thourgh the earth below them as his large form pounded into the ground. As he braced the landing he let loose a frightening growl, but it was soon discovered that he was not in another one of his uncontrollable rages.

He was hungry, though. He wondered just how badly this Sabal-Gah would try to piss him off before Rautul decided to try tasting human flesh again. Last time it tasted awful, but he enjoyed the meal nonetheless because it was a man who deserved to die. One of those •••••• assassins.

He said none of this, though, and walked forward, his form hunching not from tiredness but from the composition of his body, for it was as if he were meant to walk on four legs but had tried to evolve out of it, leaving a body similar to that of a werewolf. His massive reptilian-like tail swung about as he approached.

"Well, I'm going to get moving. Thanks for the meal and all, but I have an agenda of my own," he growled in the soft light of night.

Indeed, he did. There were at least three assassins left of that group, and he would rip the limbs from each and every one of them.

With a growl he never intended to be so ferocious, Rautul burst into a forward leap toward his destination.

Posted By: Magus Sep 15, 2004 - 06:52 pm

"Goodbye and Good riddens, foul beast; miserbale cretin." Sabal-Gah called out at Rautul.

Posted By: Mir Sep 16, 2004 - 09:03 am

Elenor looked on quietly from where she sat next to Hex, apparently asleep. She was dissapointed that Rautul was leaving; he had been an interesting experiment. Still, those remaining seemed like they would likely hold more knowledge for now. With a slight sigh, she closed her eyes and let herself fall into a light sleep.

Posted By: Magus Sep 16, 2004 - 11:56 am

Sabal-Gah looked at Elenor. She had fallen asleep. What had she been doing while he dozed?

I can leave them, he thought. I could walk off into the night and leave them all, Gods knows that I have no more use for them!

But he didn't. He stood where he was and watched as she began to sleep. He found himself drawn, ever so slightly, to the both of them. He felt compelled to, at the least, hold up his end of the bargain.

And so he set out and gathered wood. He brought it back to the camp and started a small contained blaze. He would wait here for them to wake. No use having them tag along if they couldn't hkeep up, now was there?

Posted By: Mir Sep 16, 2004 - 12:49 pm

From her light sleep, Elenor's consiousness was keeping careful watch on the proceedings. She inwardly smiled with interest as the "soulless" man began making a fire to wait for her and the others to wake. She had not expected quite of a strong reaction. Perhaps this experiment would turn out to be her masterpiece.

Posted By: ForeverZero Sep 16, 2004 - 01:58 pm

The region was filled with cliffs, high and low, massive spires acting as sentries of death. Rautul had traveled far, for when he pushed himself he had near limitless stamina. Around the region of cliffs were the marks of a vicious battle, one of strength composed of those who almost rivaled Rautul.

Lingering in the area was a faint, spectral mist, with hundreds, if not thousands of lost souls moaning and shrieking, flying through the phantom storm unable to find peace.

Rautul had traveled a long way to get here, and something inside told him that this was a bad idea, but he was driven for revenge, and nothing could stand in his way.

"You know where this 'other' is, then?" he asked the man before him. He was garbed in a dark brown cloak, covering his entire form and draped over his head with the hood, barely revealing the lower parts of his visage.

"Yes. He will steal your revenge from you, beast. He is on the same mission," the voice spoke, one that seemed to echo along with the souls in the area, as if they too were speaking along with him.

"And in return for killing him you will show me the way to the rest of the Blade of Heaven and Hell, correct?" Rautul asked, growling his words with the same guttural tongue. He was delighted by the idea of disposing of this obstacle, this one called Tzerek Agshekeloh.

"Indeed."

"You are sure you know where they are?"

"Absolutely positive." The man smiled, and pulled bck his hood, revealing neck-length, pulled back silver hair and a black blindfold over his eyes.

Rautul smiled along with him.

Posted By: Magus Sep 20, 2004 - 12:57 pm

Sabal-Gah waited for the woman to awake. He mght have fallen nasleep himself, if not for the assistance of some strong elfin wine he created.

He thought back to the past... to the deeds done and finished. He wondered if reprecussions would ever come to him. He wondered if he would ever have to face the consequences of his actions... if he would ever fall under judgement.

Posted By: Magus Sep 21, 2004 - 04:04 pm

**Dawn rises bold and clear. It is the next morning. The air is cool and the ground is covered in a crip and cool layer of dew. The fire is dying.**

Sabal-Gah looked at the woman. She'd been slothfully sleeping away precious time all night. Sabal-Gah could hardly stand that thought.

He got up and walked over to where she lay.

If she won't get up, he thought to himself as he stood over her still frame, then I'll have to ask my boot to act as her alarm clock.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 22, 2004 - 12:13 pm

Digger walked through the trees with his sword slung over his shoulder, carrying several hefty branches. He dumped them next to the fire pit and began working on a new fire, totally ignoring Sabal-Gah.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:31 am

Posted By: Magus Sep 22, 2004 - 03:35 pm

"Do you think she'll wake if I rouse her? I'm tempted to see for myself."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 24, 2004 - 04:59 pm

Digger blinked and looked up at him. His gaze moved to the woman and he paused, the wood still in his hands. "Perhaps. I couldn't say for sure."

Posted By: Magus Sep 24, 2004 - 05:09 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a sinister smile. "Would you care to find out?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 24, 2004 - 05:56 pm

Digger shrugged. "Do whatever you wish. I don't care what happens to her."

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 24, 2004 - 05:56 pm

The sound of horses drew near. It came towards them. Six figures came about on horseback, the morning fog rising over them as if it radiated from them. The leader, hidden in the darkness, spoke, "You are on the trail of Shabel-Grah, Rowena, Jacatour, Hashin, and others. Are you not? I may be able to assist ... for the right price. You see, I know where they are, that they have by now been set free, and exactly where their path shall lead them to the Tombs of Orceth."

The leader moved closer. The morning sun revealed a solemn smile, of the face of a Klundor. "Name's Rathsarann ... it's a pleasure to meet you. Perhaps we could work out an ARRANGEMENT."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 24, 2004 - 06:00 pm

Digger blinked. He stood up, watching the Klundor carefully with wary eyes. The approch of horses had startled him and his hand was very nearly dipping toward his sword. However het shot a glance at Sabal-Gah. But after a few seconds it was too much. He had to ask. This Klundor obviously knew his siter. He had to ask.

"Lord Rathsarann, what do you know of my sister Rowena?" He asked quietly insistant.

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 24, 2004 - 06:14 pm

"I know that she is with them," spoke Rathsarann. "That she is in good health. I ... wouldn't want any harm to befall her. My terms are this: I will lead you to intercept them, and your sister may be spared from harm that way. What I require is my share of the treasure. Do we have a deal?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 24, 2004 - 06:18 pm

Digger felt adrenaline sing though is body. Rowena! He was on her trail at last! He was so close. A brief moment of emotion flashed across his face but he did not realizing, moving forward a few steps so he was just in front of Rathsarann's horse. "She is after some treasure?" He chuckled slightly, "I'm not surprised. How close are they to their destination and where is it, pray, tell me Sir, I haven not had word of her in years."

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 24, 2004 - 06:21 pm

"If we have a deal the treasure of the Tomb of Orceth may be split between us, and our common enemy may be defeated."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 24, 2004 - 06:37 pm

"Common enemy?" Digger glowered at him, "Sir, there is no enemy here. I am only persuing my sister. However, I do know Orceth, in fact we are heading that way just as we speak." He smiled quietly and bowed just a little, "I thank you sir, for the update on my sister's position."

Posted By: Magus Sep 24, 2004 - 07:28 pm

Sabal-Gah gave another smile of pure delight, something so foreign to him. The giddy ecstacy almost overpowered him.

What is wrong with me!?! He asked himself. What is this I feel? What is this beast clawing inside of me?

He drew his lips back exposing his pointed teeth, sharp as dragon fang's. They glinted and glimmered as he began to speak.

"Pray, tell me, how do they fare, my brother and this party? And, pray, tell me how they have advanced? You may keep all of the stores in Orceth. I care for them not. Keep them all if you can deliver me to my... 'dear' brother." The sinister laugh escaped him before he took notice of it. It soon became the echoing cackle not dissasociated with that of the mad men occupying Avanoor's asylums.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 04:50 am

Digger turned slightly to Sabal-Gah, making sure to keep from turning his back on Rathsarann. "We do not need this man and his party. I know that country and can get us to Orceth and more quickly than he can, I wager." He turned back to Rathsarann and raised an eyebrow; a challange of sorts.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 06:13 am

Sabal-Gah gave another sinister smile, turning to Rathsaraan and speaking clamly.

"Do you hear that? Apparently we need you not. Be gone with you. Wonder where you will except at our tails."

Posted By: Neurolanis Sep 25, 2004 - 06:24 am

"So be it," grinned Rathsarann, with a cunning bow. "Just void the tombs, I'l warn yah." He stared at Sabel-Grah for a moment. "You do look rather familiar friend ... almost." The Klundors then turned and rode back in the direction from whence they came.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 06:48 am

"Shall we be off with this woman? I suppose waking her would put the old crone in an annoyingly bad mood. Shall we just mount her and ride off as she sleeps?"

••••! He thought. This doesn't sound like me at all! We should kill her in her sleep and then be off. She's nothing now to us but baggage.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 11:50 am

Digger shrugged. "I don't particularly care. I have no say in the matter as you chose to pick her up. As it is I am anxious by the arrival of the Klundors. He almost wished they had stayed a little longer.

Your estimate of him was off and that's what's bugging you, Elira whispered in the back of his mind. You thought that would infuriate him and it didn't.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 12:43 pm

"Then let us make our way and make haste." He said. Under both Hex and Elenor he materialized a fine steed. But only one came. Only Hex had a mount beneath her.

Why didn't it work? Why doesn't it appear beneath that •••••• crone!?

He tried again and, indeed, a mount came for her.

But why not the first time? What was the matter the first time he had materialized the horse. Why didn't it come when ordered?

"Let us make our leave of this place."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 12:50 pm

Digger shrugged and mounted his own horse. He spent a moment appraising Shabel-Grah and then kicked his horse forward, on to Orceth and on Rowena's trail

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 12:55 pm

***ON the trail, several miles away from their encampment. The horses carrying Hex and Elenor are trailing behind Sabal-Gah, who is following Digger's lead. The morning is growing hot and humid with no cloud cover. The mosquitoes are out and biting. It is still before noon, by sevral hours. Hex and Elenor are still asleep.***

"So," Sabal-Gah said, breaking stiff the silence, "How long do we hold this miserable course of yours 'till we meet our destination? I am eager to know."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 01:02 pm

Digger answered noncommitally. "A few days. It depends on the weather." He glanced upward. "Yes, if this weather holds off it will be only a few days. We ought to come out of the forest soon; and then we will procede faster."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:33 am

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 01:06 pm

"That's a relief." He snorted, crushing the life out of a mosquito foolish enough to feast upon him between his thumb and forefinger. "I don't relish in the idea of acting the part of a feast to our... company here."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 01:10 pm

Digger looked around. Most of his clothing was keeping the mosquitoes off and he was glad for it. The heat was uncomfortable but his training had taught him to ignore such things. He wondered if he looked down a little more on Sabal-Gah. However he kept silent wondering if his employer would persue conversation.

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 02:54 pm

Sabal-Gah felt an odd sort of feeling. It was so strange... so surreal. He wanted to learn more of this man. He wanted to speak with him, something he never cared to do before.

"What is she like?" He asked gruffly, almost forcing the words out. "This sister of yours, what is she like?"

Posted By: SirJill Sep 25, 2004 - 06:08 pm

Digger slowed his horse and turned in the saddle studying him and not being subtle about it. Finally he asked, "Why do you want to know? As far as I have seen this is not like you, Milord."

Posted By: Magus Sep 25, 2004 - 07:28 pm

"I... know not. Nor do I honestly care." He responded quickly, trying to cover the confusion that he himself held in the asking. "The road is long and stretches the same every which way. The mind wanders. A man must preocupy himself lest he go mad in such a stupifying stretch of waste and rot."

Posted By: SirJill Sep 27, 2004 - 04:02 am

Digger turned back around and raised his eyebrows to himself. Perhaps Sabal-Gah's mind WAS wandering. Perhaps he was leading a madman to some treasure that didn't exist. Perhaps he was wasting his time and his skill on this impostor. After a moment of consideration he said, "Yes, of course. But I have a question for you. This treasure you speak of--is it real?"

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 08:12 am

Upon their materialized horses, Elenor and Hex stirred. The Klundor woke first, slowly straightening out of the slouch she had been sleeping in. For some reason, she felt more rested than she had in a long time. A nagging thought in the back of her mind told her that she shouldn't feel so refreshed, not after that little spell. She blinked her eyes and groggily brushed off a mosqito that was sucking her blood. "Where are we?"

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 08:15 am

Elenor sat up rather quickly and quietly, as if she had never been alseep at all; which she really hadn't been. She looked around casually, noting the position of the horses and the bugs that buzzed around, avoiding her for some reason. Not even a creature like that wanted to take her tainted blood.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 27, 2004 - 12:13 pm

Digger blinked retrospectively, he had almost forgotten about the two and then said, "We're a few days journey from Avanoor. Don't worry, you haven't missed much."

You're being deliberately vague, Elira accused.

Yes I am. He smiled slightly.

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 12:45 pm

Elenor eyed Digger with a knowing look that usually unnevered people, "So soon? I will have very little time to study if that is the case." She turned away and gave Hex a strange glance that the Klundor seemed to miss.

Posted By: Magus Sep 27, 2004 - 12:52 pm

Sabal-Gah fouight his inner instincts. He wantred to let this matter lie. We wnated to leave it be. But one part of him, a small nagging part, wanted to speak more and more openly.

But his better judgement perseveared. He would let the matter lie aws it will. Hopefully it would not be found again.

Now, in his fully changed form, he turned and spoke to Hex and Elenor. He turned on his old charms. This much of him, at least, he had some control over. "Good day miladies. I trust you slumbered soundly."

And then he added, turning towards Elenor, "I wish to speak with you, milady, in private. If I may. The matter is most pressing."

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 01:02 pm

Elenor gave him a bland look, but moved her horse up closer, "Yes wizard?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 27, 2004 - 01:46 pm

"It would be best if done in privacy, if you catch my meening."

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 02:07 pm

Elenor shrugged, "As you wish wizard; I have nothing to hide here."

She nudged her horse back so that she was riding alongside Hex. The Kludor looked over at her, seemingly focused on the ears, those notched ears that had always distiguished Elenor. The elf ignored the stare, more interested in watching Sabal-Gah.

Posted By: SirJill Sep 27, 2004 - 03:22 pm

Digger kept his horse at a polite distance where he could still hear the other's conversation.

Posted By: Mir Sep 27, 2004 - 03:49 pm

Hex's mouth slowly opened, "I've seen you before haven't I elf?"

Elenor turned to her, the bland expression on her face was unreadable, "It's possible. Do you remember meeting me?"

Posted By: Magus Sep 27, 2004 - 05:24 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a thin smile, so like that which he was used to. It was reassuring, in a way.

This is where things got interesting.

Posted By: Mir Sep 28, 2004 - 09:13 am

Hex looked at Elenor closer, and was rewarded by a searing flash of pain. She grabbed her head with one hand and looked away, "No, I can't say I remember you that much at all. It must have been someone else."

Elenor nodded, "Of course, how silly of you. Where could we have possibly met before?" She nudged her horse so that it moved slightly away from Hex. The Klundor didn't seem to notice as she began to massage her temples, trying to releive herself of the slight headache.

Posted By: Magus Sep 29, 2004 - 11:48 am

**Night fall. The moon is full and the stars shine out clearly. The group has just made camp at the edge of the forest they just came out of. Sabal-Gah has built a fir and is now speaking with Elenor.**

"So do you see my problem? My magic ceases to work as it did since our meeting. Now, unless you wish to die, you will fix whatever problem I'm having. Because I can make you death seem an eternity. You shall slowly die by my hand in a manner suiting your station, unless you rectify your errors!"

Posted By: Mir Sep 29, 2004 - 12:34 pm

Elenor laughed, a laugh of pure indifference, as if she didn't care about the threat. She ignored him for a moment as she readjusted her hair. It had gotten slightly loose during the ride after all. Finally she turned to him and yawned slightly, a bemused expression on her face, "As you wish dear wizard. As I said, you do not understand the complexities of such magics, and I still beleive that they are beyond you."

She reached out her hands in plain veiw, truly not caring who saw her work her magics. Purple fires leapt to life about her wrists and hands, writhing like snakes. "This is the power you so crave...take it dear wizard. Take it and again feel the power that you so sought, at the price of what you don't beleive you have."
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:47 am

Posted By: Magus Sep 29, 2004 - 05:23 pm

Sabal-Gah felt the witch-woman's magics surge through his body. A monsterous joy flooded him as she did so.

Joy? Yes, it had to be. It could be nothing but joy, relief also.

"I thank you witch, for your magic."

Did he just say that? Yes, indeed he did. And it was true. He was grateful. But one thought kept coursing his mind.

I AM NOT GRATEFUL! I TAKE WHAT I WANT AND WHEN I WANT IT WITHOUT HINDERENCE OF REMORSE OR GRATITUDE! SOMETHING IS WRONG!

Posted By: Mir Sep 30, 2004 - 09:52 am

Elenor quirked an eyeborw as the fires around her hands died. She turned away, "You have what you wanted wizard, now I will return to my studies of my specimen." She turned and walked away, positioning herself nearer to Hex. What no one realized was that her attention was actually focused on Sabal-Gah. He was her latest experiment after all...

Posted By: Magus Sep 30, 2004 - 11:53 am

Sabal-Gah outstreached his hands and made a giant boar appear on a spit over the fire. It began cooking and crackling under the flames. He smiled slightly to himself.

I'm back! And Gods help my brother or any other who come in my way!

Posted By: Mir Sep 30, 2004 - 12:49 pm

Elenor's bemused look was hard to distinguish, especially for the Klundor that was sitting not too far away. Hex's attention was more on Sabal-Gah. She couldn't place it, but there was a knawing at the back of her mind, as if she were missing something. For reasons she could not name, she was begining to gorw wary of all the others in this group. The hairs on the back of her neck stood up as she couched a little lower and absentmindedly fiddled with the bone wand that was concealed on her person.

She looked around again and carefully placed one hand on the ground, feeling for a disturbance in the soil. A slight shiver ran up her arm.

No one seemed to notice as she slowly began digging a shallow pit. Before longshe came across what she had felt, the delapitated skeleton of some sort of rodent, perhaps a squirrel or a rat.

Slyly she looked around to make sure no one was watching, then she cupped her hands about the small skeleton and put it to her mouth, breathing some of her own life into it. The skeleton lay still in her palms for a moment, then suddenly sprung to life, twisting about in confusion at it's sudden return to life.

Hex debated for a moment if she wanted to clothe the thing in flesh, but decided against it...that was just too much work and she felt weak. Setting it on the ground, she shooed it along, "Go on little one, be my eyes."

The skeleton skittered off into the night.

Posted By: Magus Sep 30, 2004 - 03:10 pm

Sabal-Gah looked now to Hex, looking off in the distance. He felt a pang of-what? What was it he felt? But he decided to talk to her. He would have to keep up the appearence of a friendlt fellow of hers.

"Greetings, milday Hex. I must apalogize for my neglect of you as of late. My mind has been preocupied... troubled. I sense that my brother furthers along towards his goals. But how are you feeling, milday? You look tired."

Posted By: Mir Sep 30, 2004 - 03:11 pm

Elenor watched the escapade out of the corner of her eyes. Shewas slightly surprised that the Klundor could do anything, especially without the usual mind raze that went along with it. Evidently the powers given to her were more expansive than Elenor had imagined. Was this what her master had meant when he had said that perfection of the art could be dangerous?

Elenor shook her head. She was getting better with every experiment she preformed, soon she would be on the level that the master had reached. Despite his greatness, he had never tried to achieve anything more than what he called the saftey regoin. Did she dare try to surpass this one that she had practically worshiped?

Elenor looked away, it must be the amount of energy she was expending to keep the wizard in power. She was not used to channelling so much so fast. It was fatiguing her slightly, she would have to be more careful in the future. She leaned back and fell into a trancelike state, keeping an ear open for any commotion.

Posted By: Mir Sep 30, 2004 - 03:42 pm

Hex curled her fingers ever so slightly, as if in thought. In reality, she was directing the skeleton to move slightly. It was strange having her mind split two ways for the operation of this thing, but she felt it necessary.

Slowly she turned to Sabal-Gah, her eyes slightly wet as if she had been crying. Really she was holding back tears of exhaustion, "Yes good sir, I am truly tired. This journey seems to be very taxing to my body and spirit."

Somewhere at the edge of the camp, the skeleton moved slightly, giving Hex another veiw of everyone in camp. Despite the fact that it had no eyes, the creature seemed quite capable of relaying sights.

Posted By: Magus Sep 30, 2004 - 05:35 pm

"Well sit here and rest then. There is no ned to expend more energies then you have to." Sabal-Gah pulled from his back a large woolen blanket, warm even to his touch. It hadn't been there moments before, but he procurred it from the very air itself. No need to let her know that, however; she'd have to settle with thinking he had it all along.

He pulled it around her and drew it closely to her skin. He then turned his attention back to the fire, sending a scarlet hue across his newly manifested blue and gold robes and his newly transformed body.

"The meat is nearly done. Would you care for some, milady? Or would you rather me leave you to your rest?"

Posted By: SirJill Oct 01, 2004 - 03:56 am

Digger had kept quiet. The change he was seeing in Sabal-Gah did not bode well on his nerves. Nor did he like seeing the cordial way he treated Hex. Of course he had nothing against the girl, but nonetheless it did not sit well with him.

Posted By: Mir Oct 01, 2004 - 11:10 am

Hex snuggled into the blanket, trying to comprehend the nagging suspicion she had of this man. He seemed polite enough...much like the first one that had helped her after she had lost her memories. How long ago had that been? She sighed and leaned back, letting her mind wander.

It had been several years ago. He had been human, a mercenary. From the very first he had treated her kindly, soothed her mental anguish and tended to her broken spirit. She could still feel his gentle hands that had so readily picked up a sword to defend her...

Hex slowly reached into a pocket and procured a strange, flute like insturment carved of bone. Strange runes were carved into it, and it had several more holes than it looked like it should. The delicate instrument faintly glowed with a white radiance. Putting the instrument to her lips, Hex began to play. A strange, unearthly wail came from the flute. It rose in fell in the most beautiful music that any of the listeners had ever heard. The music seemed to seep into the very soul and awaken something, tugging on the very heart of all that heard it.

As Hex played, strange lights began to dance in the air in front of her. With every change of note and pitch, the phantoms shifted color and position. So gracefully did they move that they seemed almost entrancing.

The sorrowful song continued for quite a while before Hex lowered the instrument from her lips and wiped the tears from her eyes. She concealed the pipe again and sat back, lost in thought.

Posted By: Mir Oct 01, 2004 - 11:15 am

Elenor quickly brushed the single tear away from her eye. She had never heard the like of that song before, but it had found some shred of humanity in even her.

As the pipe was put away, and she was able to think efficiently again, she realized what the instrument had been. It was a soul flute, a very rare type of instrument that necromancers used to summon spirits and comune with the dead. Only powerful necromancers could control the flute, and Elenor had never heard of one that could influence the souls of the living. Truly this experiment was more powerful than Elenor had imagined. What could have raised it's power so much?

Posted By: Magus Oct 01, 2004 - 11:55 am

Sbala-Gah listened to the song. It was sad and yet sweet, and was sure that he had once known it complete, in some long off time ago. It brought a tear to his eye, the first tear he had ever shed. And how that thought burned at his mind.

Posted By: Mir Oct 04, 2004 - 09:18 am

Elenor shot a glance at Sabal-Gah, "Do you know of that instrument my fair wizard? That is a soul pipe." She looked away, not noticing the small skeleton that had slid up next to her and was studying her.

Posted By: Magus Oct 04, 2004 - 12:30 pm

"... yes..." He said, still in a daze of the beuty of the song. "Yes, I am a necromancer, am I not? Why would I not know of the tools of my craft?" He said, trying to regain his composure and play the part he had been since he saw the wounded necromancer.

Posted By: Mir Oct 04, 2004 - 01:22 pm

Elenor laughed, her voice suprisingly pleasant, "Good wizard, I would not begrudge you any title if you did not know of this instrument. It is a very rare and powerful creation. Only the most powerful necromancers are ever allowed to learn to craft them, and they must be wrought from the rib bone of a speaking, feeling creature. The only bone that will do is the one right over the heart." She leaned back and closed her eyes, "Truly, it is amazing that a Klundor can play it."

Posted By: Mir Oct 04, 2004 - 01:23 pm

Hex didn't seem to notice the comment as she continued to be lost in thought.

Posted By: Magus Oct 04, 2004 - 01:24 pm

"Truly... it is a miracle." And it was true. That song was a miracle. That lovely, beutiful Siren song could send him to his death and he could care less for it.

Posted By: Mir Oct 04, 2004 - 04:06 pm

Elenor laughed slightly, "It seems to have found a hold on even me dear wizard, there is no need for you to be so aloof. Surely you could afford to let yourself enjoy the melody." Her voice was almost a purr as she glanced at him, yet her eyes cold. They were not vacant of a soul, but the soul behind them was the purest black that could be, "Surely you can allow yourself that pleasure."

Posted By: Magus Oct 04, 2004 - 04:19 pm

Sabal-Gah looked at this strange abjurer, he looked at her intently. The words of his pleasure rang a chord in his mind. In words too low for Hex in her concentration of her song to notice. "I have no soul. I feel NO pleasure, NO fear and NO sorrow. I am a man free from such trivialities, such weeknesses. I am free of a soul, and that is a freedom more enrapturing then any you could possably understand."

Posted By: Mir Oct 05, 2004 - 08:56 am

Elenor laughed again, her voice like wine over splashing over ice. It was almost baiting as she spoke, "Of course dear wizard, how silly of me to forget that. You just seemed slightly worried earlier for my specimen's comfort. It is easy to forget when you play your part so well." Turning away from Sabal-Gah, she sat back and seemed to lose herself in thought as well.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Lycoria: The Stories