speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Orceth Side Adventure

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:48 am

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 11:51 am

Her words haunted the illusionist's thoughts, plauged his mind. "I am simply acting out a part to gain and keep her trust. I may have need of her yet, and having her trust me makes tricking her into doing my bidding all the easier."

Posted By: Mir Oct 05, 2004 - 12:12 pm

A smile quirked on Eelenor's face, "Oh yes dear wizard, I'm afraid that her trust of you is wearing thin. Call it a preminition of mine." She sat up slightly and looked at him, her eyes devoid of all emotion, "I can safely say I have not been so amused since I was a child."

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 03:03 pm

"Amused? Pray tell, what are you amused at? Surely it is not the song? You seem to take little pleasure in the tune. What is it really?"

Posted By: Mir Oct 05, 2004 - 03:29 pm

"The song touched my black soul. I must admit that I cannot say that it didn't disturb me, but the melody was perfect. I have never been able to deny that I enjoy perfection." She looked away, another tear almost slipping past her guard. She stemmed its flow with a motion and continued, "What amuses me so is you dear wizard; have you not yet realized what I have done to you? Are you so thick that you must have the answer spelled out for you?"

Elenor turned slightly, revealing the notches on her ears. She made a slight motion to draw attention to them, "This was done to me as a child when the village shaman looked at me and saw that I had a dark soul. He never expected me to last long, most with souls as black as mine are killed at a young age. I however, did not seem to be evil in their eyes, so my parents let me live a little longer. The love of a parent for a child, no matter how possesed is beyond reason."

Slowly Elenor leaned back, crossing her legs at the knee and seeming to bask in the dark of the night as a snake would in the sun. "My parents never saw me after that night. I left them and their silly, pointless ways to find myself, and find myself I did. I found myself in the care of an aging human who had long ago mastered the black arts that I now practice. I had found my master."

With a sigh, she sat up and looked Sabal-Gah in the eyes, "Any living thing with a soul would have cringed at my master's teachings, but I didn't even flinch. I was his pride, and remain so to this day. He was overjoyed when he completed his experiments on me." She arched an eyebrow, "Surely you had figured by now that the other experiments and I are of the same cast, how else could I wield so much power?"

Black flames leapt to life behind her eyes, "I was one of the most perfect experiments that was ever performed, and it gave me unimaginable powers. I am stronger than my master ever was, but I lack his genius. This is easy for me to say because I would have been nothing without him." Elenor turned her head to the side, "Surely though, what I paid for my powers with was not worth it. Every shred of decency and morals I had, every regret, guilt, and cherished thought was stripped from me. My soul was made as black as nothingness to allow me to wield the powers of darkness that were required of me. I did not sell my soul, I sold my humanity."

A light laughter escaped her, "I am amused because you remind me of myself when I was much younger. That is all." She leaned back and waited for some sort of response.

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 03:36 pm

A thought, terrable in its reprecussions, dawned at last in the mind of Sabal-Gah. What if... just what if... Could she have? Is it even possable?

...a soul?

Posted By: Mir Oct 05, 2004 - 04:04 pm

Elenor looked at him, and a slight smile played across her face, as if she derived pleasure from his confusion, "Yes, is that shock I see, suspicion maybe? Perhaps you are begining to realize that your illusions are only as full as you are. But what pray tell, does it take to fill an empty man?"

Posted By: Magus Oct 05, 2004 - 04:25 pm

"What indeed? Do you think that I will honestly let you do this to me, cage me like this? You should be on your utmost guard, abjerer. I could very well kill you in your sleep."

Posted By: Mir Oct 06, 2004 - 09:23 am

Elenor smiled a sweet smile and laughed lightly, "Dear wizard, you are no better nor worse than me right now. You have a soul as black as mine, a real soul that will slowly eat away at your emptiness. There is no escaping your fate now. Just remember that you accepted this arrangement no matter the cost to yourself. On your word you took this soul I have given you."

She blinked lightly, "Now if you are done with your hollow threats, for you could never kill me, I will retire for the night. I have much thinking to do." Elenor stood and moved away from Sabal-Gah, giving him time to contemplate his new fate. Such was the price of power.

Posted By: Magus Oct 06, 2004 - 11:55 am

Sabal-Gah created an illusion of himslef, of course, it wasn't really an illusion. He created a copy of himself, in his true form.

It materialized in front of Elenor. Reaching out it grabbed her about her neck and slammed her into a nearby tree. "You WILL change me back! I want the freedom I once had! Black soul or none, I will NOT regret ending your life here!"

Posted By: Mir Oct 06, 2004 - 12:35 pm

Elenor felt the impact and had to blink to clear her vision. She coughed and a slight trickle of blood ran from her mouth. It was a violet color so deep that it appeared black in the dim light. Behind her cold eyes, a hatred sprang to life, a hatred so deep that it passed through even Elenor's emmotional blocks. With one hand she reached up and grabbed the wrist of the hand that was holding her against the tree. In a single motion she closed her hand, crushing the bones in the illusionary Sabal-Gah's wrist to dust, "I warned you dear wizard, I warned you that there would be consequenses to your choice. Do not make me destroy you."

Several stray hairs on her head began to rise up, as if being blow by a wind from beneath. Her eyes lit, turning a smoldering red color. They seemed to glow with a light of their own, "I have no patience for you now wizard." She pushed past the illusionary Sabal-Gah and turned to face the original, "You do not want to fight me. My power is increasing as I stand, and yours is diminishing."

Posted By: Mir Oct 06, 2004 - 12:37 pm

Hex sat up suddenly, intent on the coming battle. She had a big stake in the outcome of this battle. Mentally she called the skeleton back to her, wanting the comfort of something that she knew. Bones always seemed to comfort her.

Posted By: Magus Oct 06, 2004 - 04:58 pm

"Do you meen to claim mastery oover me? I could kill you as I stand, especially with these powers you are so proud of!" As he spoke his real form joined his illusionary one, and two other joined the two Sabal-Gah's. "You'll have to extinguish this soul that empowers me to save your own precious skin!" A sinister smirk crossed his face. He knew he had the upper hand.

Posted By: Mir Oct 07, 2004 - 09:38 am

The glow behind Elenor's eyes increased, signalling the release of her pent up power. Her master had neared perfection with her, and hadn't dared to get so close afterwards.

"My dear wizard, do you really think that you can destroy me? You can make your illusions real, but that is all I have seen you do. I am one with the darkest powers in this world, I can call on them and bend them to my will like none have been able to do before, and you would stand against me with illusions?"

Elenor raised her hands. They were burning with black fire. Slowly she took a step forward, "I do not care which one of you is the true one my dear wizard, for if you stand in my way I will destroy all of these illusions."

Strange purple lightning suddenly shot across the sky, lighting the camp in an eerie glow that didn't disipate when the lightning vanished. In the stragne purple light, Elenor looked truly demonic, and admist it all her eyes coninued to smolder.

Posted By: Magus Oct 07, 2004 - 11:58 am

A pang of fear began tapping lightly at Sabal-Gah's heart. He had never felt this emotion before, and so it fealt more intense then any would have guessed. He drew upon three more illusions, the total now equalling seven. He put on the best face he could. It was just like old times again, the still before the salaughter. Although this time he wasn't quite so sure what side he was on; giving or receiving.

"Do you dare strike me? So goes your precious experiment if I die. And would you risk me reveal your other's true state? She has an illusion about her, not these manifestations, but a tru illusion. Do you dare me to releave her of it?"

Posted By: Mir Oct 07, 2004 - 12:06 pm

Elenor laughed, "That silly thing? Go ahead and dispell it if you wish. I healed her not so long ago myself when I cleaned her up. That oil does more than just take away dirt. She is in perfect condition again. And as to your fate, I have no use for an experiment that turns on me. Never before has one I have given power to DARED TO CHALLENGE ME!" The last part came out as a shout and she made a slicing motion with her hand, cutting down a manifestation where it stood. The black fires around her hands suddenly burst and became larger, entwining her arms at the elbows.

"Do you see dear wizard, the pleasure feeds them, the pain feeds them, and the anger feeds them, these are the flames of darkness that have been trapped in my soul, and you now see the barest minimum of what they are capable of."

Another flash of lightning streaked across the sky, followed by the beginings of a moaning wind. The wind sounded like the wailing of hundreds of lost souls. Dark clouds bunched in the sky, blotting out the moon, but the eerie pruple light remained.

Posted By: Mir Oct 07, 2004 - 12:21 pm

Hex watched in horror, not sure that she comrehended what was going on. Carefully she scooped up the skeleton and held it close to her, ready to run at the slightest threat to her safety.

Posted By: Magus Oct 07, 2004 - 03:14 pm

Sabal-Gah did not visably show his fear, but he felt it. By all of the Gods in their celestial kingdoms he felt it in his heart.

But his emotions, his SOUL, was a double edged sword. He indeed flet fear, but he also felt anger and courage as well. And these flames were bright as the sun at high-noon.

He changed his illusions, first doubling them and adding on another. Now there were thirteen of him on the field. Three turned into monsterous trolls, three into towering giants, three into growling gnolls and he and two turned others turned to giant wolves. The final one stayed in its form, a decoy to distract Elenor.

"You can strike me down, witch!" The manifestation shouted. "Go ahead and try! I can replicate myself into any form I wish, double what you strike down! Just try and take me!"

Posted By: Mir Oct 07, 2004 - 04:06 pm

Elenor smirked and brought her hadns together in front of her, the flames leaping to new heights. Closing her eyes, she began a chant too low for Sabal Gah to hear, "By the tortures that wrought my soul, dark spirits I command you. Strike down these illusions and make his heart bleed."

The wind went wild, blowing so hard that Hex had to trun her back against it and hunker down lest she be swept away by it. She watched in horror as dark forms sprang from the fires and dove through the manifestations of the wizard. Upon contact with the shadows, the manifestations burst into darkness and disitegrated.

Elenor stood silently, the smirk still on her face. Without opening her eyes, she turned to the real Sabal-Gah, "Go ahead wizard, do your worst."

Posted By: Magus Oct 07, 2004 - 05:29 pm

A second wolf lept foreward from Sabal-Gah in his wolf form. It was fearsome to behold. It foamed at its mouth a barcked ferociously. It went straight for Elenors throat.

Posted By: SirJill Oct 08, 2004 - 06:10 am

Digger wasn't sure if he'd ever seen such sorcery. He was quiet, as usual during their exchange, watching from the safety of a nearby tree.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:50 am

Posted By: Mir Oct 08, 2004 - 09:14 am

Elenor didn't even open her eyes as she swatted the wolf aside. As the flames came into contact with it, there was a yelp of pain, then the wolf dissipated into darkness, "Dear wizard, is this truly all that you are capable of?" She took another step towards him.

Posted By: Magus Oct 08, 2004 - 01:08 pm

Sabal-Gah glared in anger at her. It was true blue flame in his eyes, the fire of the Seven Hells.

"Dare you to mock me so, witch?"

But he indeed was capable of more, much more. He did not know if it was guilt or his conscience or his new soul, but he didn't want to unleash his full power.

He might have wanted to reign champion over her without it, or not want to unleash all of the horrors that he is capable of. But he knew he didn't want to use it, unless another way could be found.

"You have no ideas the horrors I have at my disposal. I could pull you into oblivion if I so desired to!"

Posted By: Mir Oct 11, 2004 - 08:22 am

Elenor laughed, a truly mocking laughter, "Then do so soon dear wizard, for my powers grow with each passing moment. Soon I will have to unleash them or be consumed."

Posted By: Magus Oct 11, 2004 - 11:51 am

"Do not tempt the devil! For he is the harbringer of your judgement. I will accomadate you, though. This night you WILL know darkness and you WILL know fear! I will show you the fate of all who will resist me!"

He began gathering his energies. Ilusions usually require no incantations of focussing of energies. But this one does. By all of the Gods it requires all the will of the caster, for this is no ordinary illusion.

Posted By: Mir Oct 11, 2004 - 12:52 pm

Hex looked on in fear. She could sense the power building and knew that the spell about to be unleashed was one of the most powerful she had even seen. She clutched the rodent skeleton to her and grabbed a near by tree for support.

Posted By: Mir Oct 11, 2004 - 12:54 pm

Elenor could feel the magical power growing. Despite herself, she took a step back, "So you can do more than you have thrown at me so far. Show me how powerful you truly are."

Posted By: Magus Oct 11, 2004 - 01:27 pm

Sabal-Gah cracked into a sinister grin, one that could only be pure evil. The light, or what was gifted that night dissapeared. The trees, the people and the ground all vanished. Even the very air seemed to dissapear into thin air.

Through all of this a single echoing whisper floated through the void. It was Sabal-Gah's cackling. "I warned you." He said, letting the sound echoe in the darkness. "I warned you all."

Then it came at them, all three of them. It slammed into them, coursed thrugh their bodies and seemed to steel ther very air from their lungs. Next came the reality of the spell.

Posted By: Mir Oct 11, 2004 - 02:54 pm

Elenor took a deep breath. The air flooded back into her lungs as she stood and looked around. She didn't know what had happened, but she realized she knew where she was. She was back in the main operating room of her master's asylum. How had Sabal-Gah trasported her here, or was this merely another one of his tricks of the mind? She reached out and touched one of the cold slabs that served as a bed. It felt real enough, but that didn't mean much anymore.

Slowly she turned, taking in the whole room. It was darker than she remembered, and no one was in sight. She was sure that someone should be around. With hesitant steps, she began walking from the room.

As she stepped towards the door, she heard the crying behind her. She turned to look and saw something she had thought was dead.

Posted By: Mir Oct 11, 2004 - 03:06 pm

Hex felt the tree disipate in her grasp. She called out, but her voice was stilled by the awesome power. Slowly she became aware that she was breathing again. She took a deep breath and smelled rotting flesh.

Opening her eyes, she found herself looking at a mound of corpses. She wasn't sure where they had come from, but thought that they might be from the spell. If it had killed this many people, surely it had indeed been powerful.

"Hex...is that you?"

Hex heard the familiar voice, but didn't dare look up. Surely it couldn't be him. Despite herself, her eyes slowly moved up the pile of corpses. There he was, sitting atop the mangled heap, her one and only love. Despite the carnage around him, he seemed perfectly normal. He cocked his head sideways as he looked at her, as if he didn't believe that it was truly the one that he loved.

"Hex, I don't believe it, you've finally come for me."

Hex took a step back. This couldn't be real. There was no way that her love was still alive, she had burried him herself. She had the bones to prove it.

"Come now, you're being unkind to our host, you should come and sit. Make yourself at home."

Hex looked around at the bleak landscape strewn with dead and blanched, this couldn't be real. But she smelled it, she actually smelled the death around her.

"Come on my love, it's not polite to stare. I don't think they like it."

Hex turned towards the voice, that voice so like the one of her love...and stared.

"Surely you know why you're here?" The man made an encompassing motion, "After all, you created this."

Posted By: Mir Oct 12, 2004 - 08:42 am

Elenor had to blink several times to make sure that she wasn't seeing things. She looked again, and sure enough, there stood a young and rather innocent looking version of herself. The child was huddled in a corner, sobbing terribly. Her curiosity aroused, Elenor approached the girl, "Little girl, what's your name?"

The girl looked up and wiped her eyes free of tears so that she could see more clearly. When she saw who was walking towards her, she let out a blood curlding scream that shook the entire room. Elenor had to cover her ears to drown it out. Finally the girl stopped and stared at Elenor, quaking with fear.

Elenor uncovered her ears and took a step forward, "Now girl, tell me what your name is."

The girl sniffed and dropped her eyes, "I'm Elenor, but you know that already, don't you?"

Elenor nodded, "I had suspected, but what are you doing here, and how did I get here?"

The little girl shrugged and stood, brushing off her ragged white gown. It was much too large for her, and only stayed on via the makeshift sash that she had on, "I don't know, but you better leave before one of them comes."

Elenor had reached the girl. She knelt down and laid a hand on the girl's shoulder, "Before one of what comes?"

The girl shook a little, but spoke, "One of the others, the bad ones."

Elenor's eyes narrowed, and she turned to look back at the door. She noticed that several shadows were looming there, blocking out the meager light. She turned back to the girl, "What are they girl, quickly tell me while you still have a chance."

The girl shook her head, "You already know what they are, you made them."

Elenor slowly pulled away from the girl, a wrenching sensation filling her stomach. She was afraid she knew what the child was talking about. This must have been where all of the parts they had taken from people to increase their power went. That meant that every bad thought and dark soul she had ever worked on was lurking here. Elenor suddenly realized how afraid she was....

Posted By: Mir Oct 12, 2004 - 09:35 am

Hex shook her head in denial, "No, I would never, I mean...I couldn't have done this..." She knew she couldn't have...there was no way...

The man atop the corpses laughed, "Of course, you forget what you were before. You sent me here, she sent the others, but then again, you used to be her." He leaned forward, watching Hex's reaction.

Hex gave a small squeak and looked around again, she had done all of this. How could she have possibly done all of this? It was so horrid, "Who..who is she?"

The man sat back, "She is the host; why don't you go and greet her, I'll even come with you. After all, you did finally come for me, didn't you?" He stood and brushed himself off, looking remarkably pristine for having sat on top of a pile of corpses.

Hex took several steps back as the man slowly dismounted from the pile. He picked his way along delicately, carefull not to disturb any of the bodies. When he got to the ground, he held out his hand, "Come along love, we don't want to keep the host waiting."

With great hesitation, Hex reached out and took the hand. She could feel his skin, the same skin she remembered, and felt tears well in her eyes. It was him. This was truly the man she loved. She crumpled against him and hugged him close, "Vell, it's really you."

Vell pulled her to him gently, "Yes love, it's me. I've been waiting for so long for you to come for me. It's going to be alright now, everything's going to be fine." As he spoke, he reached around her and touched the bag at her side. Carefully, so that she couldn't feel it, he reached into the bag and pulled out a small bone bell. He held it in his hand for a moment, then it sank into his hand and he pulled his hand back, "Everything's going to be fine my love."

Posted By: Mir Oct 12, 2004 - 02:20 pm

Elenor shook off the fear and reached out, taking the hand of the girl. "Quickly, come with me."

Elenor's child self grasped the hand, "You're so real..."

Elenor looked at it in surprise. The hand felt sort of wispy, as if it weren't real. That bothered Elenor. The floor under her feet felt real, surely she should be able to feel the girl more.

The girl looked at her and smiled, "You know you can't take me with you don't you?"

Posted By: Magus Oct 12, 2004 - 06:39 pm

Sabal-Gah gave a grim smile. The darkness was all around him, but he was not effected by it. This was his master work, his most powerful magic, and it was now perfected thanks to Elenor.

He strode through the darkness, the infinate black void. He knew its darkness well. It would be a simple matter to navigate his way out of it.

He knew now that he wouldn't be able to change back. If she didn't die then she certainly wouldn't give him what he wanted. He would now have to move on. He is now as he always was, always has been... alone.

This was not a foreign thought, it was one he had dealt with his entire life. He had lived with it and even cherished it. But now t was different. It was a cold and disquiting thought. Even the darkness of which he was so familier had a new ominous meening and nature to it. And Sabal-Gah didn't like it.

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 10:43 am

Hex leaned against Vell heavily, completely immune to anything she saw or heard that didn't involve him. She didn't know where she was, but she didn't care as long as she could be with the one that she loved. She walked with him as he lead her across the desolate waste of corpses and towards a colosal, brooding castle that sat in the distance. The sky above her was a stormy, vicious thunderstorm and the ground beneath her feet was red with blood, but none of it mattered so long as she was with Vell.

Vell pulled her closer to him, "We will be there shortly my love, then you will have the chance to really communicate."

Hex looked up at him strangely, but he merely smiled at her and continued to pull her along.

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 10:56 am

Elenor looked down at the girl, "What do you mean? I'm going to take you out of this place."

The little girl smiled slightly, but it was a sad smile, "She won't let you take me, and you can't defeat her."

Elenor knelt down again and grasped the girl by her shoulders, "What do you mean? Who won't let me take you."

"You won't." The little girl pointed behind Elenor, and slowly the elf turned. What she saw nearly stopped her heart; there standing in the doorway, was a perfect replica of herself. It looked at her with dull eyes, but it did not move.

Elenor stood, facing the empty replica of herself. The thing didn't look that powerful, it looked rather dead. She grasped the little girl's hand and pulled her along, "That thing isn't going to stop me. I'm leaving and you are coming with me."

The little girl pulled back, trying to make Elenor stop, "No, you can't defeat her."

Elenor stopped and looked at the girl, "Why not?"

The girl lowered her eyes, "Becuase, she controls everything here; she's perfect."

Elenor looked back at the replica, at the blank expression and dull eyes. This was the perfection that she had sought?

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 11:05 am

Vell pushed her up the stairs to the castle at a rapid pace, "Hurry love, the host is getting impatient."

Hex tried to keep up, but her feet kept slipping in the blood that was oozing down the stairs from the gaping black gateway that lead into the castle, "Vell, I can't go this fast, I'm too tired. I don't feel well." She paused and dropped to her knees, the blood soaking her legs.

Vell stopped and knelt, not seeming to even notice the blood, "Come on love, we need to get to the host, can you do it please Hex? Will you do it for me and our love?"

Despite the weariness in her legs, she forced herself upright. She tried to ignore the blood that soaked her legs as she turned and looked at Vell. She leaned on him as he stood, "As long as you are by me my love, I'll continue."

Vell pulled her close and planted his lips on hers while he reached around her and into her pocket again, pulling out another bone artifact. He held her close as he absorbed it, then geltly moved her away when it had disappeared, "Come now love, we can't keep the host waiting."

Hex sighed and grimaced at the pain in her legs. It felt almost as if they were being burned. Looking down, all she saw was the blood, so she leaned on Vell and continued walking. She looked up, taking in the dark gateway in front of them.

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 11:26 am

Elenor shook off the growing sense of dread and continued to move forward, dragging the girl along with her. She didn't really know why she felt it was so important to take the girl, but she knew that it was. This girl was the embodiment of all that had been stripped from her. She had to get it out of this place.

The girl ceased to struggle as they got closer to the door. She became very pale and quiet, moving obidiently as Elenor pulled her along.

Elenor ignored the girl and focused on the replica in front of her. She stopped about a yard away and stared at it, "Move out of my way."

The replica stared at her blankly. She spoke again, "I said move out of my way, let us pass."

Still the replica stood stock still, it's dead eyes staring at her. Elenor pushed the girl behind her, "Move now or I will destroy you."

The replica cocked its head slightly, studying her. It righted itself and spoke, it's voice without any emmotion or inflection, a dead noise that had no place in living ears, "You may not pass."

"Why not?" Elenor glared at the replica, not sure what it would do. She pushed the girl further behind her.

"You are not perfect. You will stay here and I will return to replace you." The replica took a step backward and began to turn.

"NEVER!" Elenor's shout echoed through the room as the dark force slammed into the replica and drove it into the ground. There it lay motionless, its neck twisted at an impossible angle, "No one will replace me. My master created me, and you will not dishonor him in any way you worthless creation!"

Elenor stood in place, her chest heaving as she fought down her emmotions. She had never been so angry before, she didn't know what had come over her. She turned to look at the girl, "See, I defeated it easily, now, let's get out of here."

The girl shook her head and pointed behind Elenor. Elenor's back stiffened and she felt a chill run down her spine. She carefully turned and saw that the replica was standing. It reached up and popped its neck back into proper alignment. It stood for a moment, looking at her with its dead eyes, "You will not pass."

Elenor stepped back.

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 12:28 pm

Hex felt a sense of dread settle over her as she stepped through the door. As her eyes adjusted to the interior, she became aware that she was standing in a small river of blood flowing from a fountain in the center of the large chamber. It appeared that the entire castle was this single room. Beyond the oozing fountain, she saw an immense throne wrought of carved bones and twisted iron. Upon it reclined a very smug looking version of Hex. When the other Hex saw the pair, she sat up, "Ah, Vell. I'm glad to see that you brought our guest to me. Please, come closer."

Hex looked at Vell, and saw the strange glossy look in his eyes. Suddenly her heart dropped as she realized what was going on. This was indeed Vell, but this was a Vell that had been raised from the dead and given flesh, and she had fallen for it.

Vell looked to her, "Come on love, we have to go see the host now."

The other her laughed, "Yes, do come over and greet the one that accidentally made you. Come to me my child. Meet your mother Meran" She stood and moved away from the throne, her eyes remaining on Hex, "I am after all the one that went to that place to become stronger, and they created you in my place. How ironic that to become stronger I had to be thrown aside and allow you to take over. Now I can take over my body again and go back to the world, and rule it as I once dreamt."

Hex took several steps back and ran into Vell. She turned to him, her hopes resting in that he still retained some of the man that she had loved, "Vell, please, you have to get me out of here."

Vell smiled at her, "Don't you understand love? Now that you've come, she'll leave and we can remain here together forever. We'll never have to be alone again."

Hex quickly stepped away from him, shaking her head in disbelief, "I cannot stay here, I don't belong here."

Vell smiled and took a step forward, his arms outstreched, "Yes, you do, you belong with me."

Hex shook her head and stared at him, "No, I belong in the real world."

Meran laughed, "You think that this is not real? It is more real than you could ever fear." Turning to Vell she made a motion. He sagged, then tumbled forward into the shallow stream of blood, not moving. Meran sighed, "I have had enough of this. He is of no use to me anymore. I will simply have to destroy you and get this over with."

Meran flicked her hand and the blood around Hex suddenly shot up, turning into something much like tenticles. Before she could even move, the tenticles wrapped around her and tightened, holding her in place. She sturggled, but her arms were pinned and she couldn't reach her wand.

"You see dear, I cannot have you lurking around in the back of my mind after I take over again. I'm afraid that your silly weaknesses would spoil my wonderful mind. I shall just have to destroy you my daughter."

Hex squirmed within her bonds, trying to get free. She opened her mouth to speak and the bonds tightened, forcing the air out of her lungs and cutting off anything she might have said.

Meran smiled, "I've been wanting to do this for a very long time. I'm glad I had the chance to use if before I returned to the other world." She made a motion and the horribly contorted throne moved. One long leg carved of bone folded out from under it and smashed into the stone floor. Then an iron rod peeled away from it's back and a stiff leg slammed down. Slowly it rose, shaking dust and stray bones from itself. The monster stood over thirty feet tall and squated on nine mismatched bone and iron legs. A large sword like piece of iron showed over it's back, attatched much like a scorpion tail would have been. Random spikes of iron and bone projected from its back, and a huge bone and metal pincher hung from just below its head, dragging on the stone floor. The head itself was a huge, cracked and broked dragon skull with metal and bone tusks projecting from it at odd angles.

Hex watched in horror as it slowly moved one of its malformed legs and headed towards her.

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 12:49 pm

Elenor shook her head, "I killed you. You cannot come back."

The replica took a step forward, "I am perfect, you cannot destroy me." She stepped to the right and out of the doorway. A huge, ugly head poked though the door. It was shaped something like a deformed and skinned wolf, but it was so large that only its head fit in the door. The thing looked like it was composed of a bubbling, acidic looking darkness.

Elenor had to push the girl away from her as she stepped out of the way of the snapping jaws. She looked at the creature in disbelief. That was impossible. The creature was actually formed of the darkness that Elenor was supposed to be able to control.

The replica watched her, "This is my creature. I control it, and it will not let you pass."

Elenor turned towards the replica, "I will simply destroy you then. Without you, the monster will not be able to stop me."

The replica blinked at her with a dull expression, "You cannot destroy me. I am perfection."

Elenor made a thrusting motion and a blade of darkness appeared, slicing right though the replica's torso. As its top half began to slide off, a net of darkness enwrapped its middle and slowly the replica pulled itself back together. When the darkness faded, there was no sign of the wound on the body, though the shirt that the it was wearing was sliced off and dripping blood.

The replica spoke again, "I am perfection, you cannot destroy me."

Posted By: Mir Oct 13, 2004 - 01:37 pm

Hex looked on in horror, unable to breathe as the monster stalked towards her. She closed her eyes, sure that her end had come, and saw the room from a corner. Her mind reeled for a second, then she realized that she was looking through the rodent skeleton. She had completely forgotten that it was with her. She used it's eyes to see what was going on. She saw that Meran was watching her intently, focusing on the blood. It was a hard thing to control, if Hex could get Meran to break her concentration...

Suddenly the rodent skeleton shot forward, darting across the floor. It ran straight for Meran and scampered up her leg. It's tiny teeth sunk deep into the tender flesh of her thigh. The scream was loud enough to startle Hex despite her prediciment.

The blood suddenly fell away, and she landed with a splash in the shallow stream of blood. She moved slightly, trying to get out of the blood and away from the great power that Meran held over her as long as she was in the stream. She took a shuddering breath and looked over. Vell lay face down in the blood, not too far away from her. She heard a loud crash as the monster took another step.

"Vell...I'm sorry." She reached out and touched him, sure that this was the end for her.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:52 am

Posted By: Magus Oct 13, 2004 - 04:44 pm

Sabal-Gah sought a way through the darkness. The shadows owned him, owened them all. He passed by Hex while seeking his exit. She looked so sad, so lifeless. He wished at once that he had not cast the spell.

•••• it, thought the Illusionist. Do not give in to that weakness! Do not let your emotions control your actions or your judgement. You did more than fine without them, you'll just have to deal with them from now on.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 09:41 am

Elenor jumped back, barely avoiding the snapping jaws of the beast. She fell heavily, scrambling back as the beast shoved its shoulders through the crumbling door and snapped at her again.

The child cried out in fear and clung to Elenor, "Don't let it hurt me."

Elenor pushed the child away from her, "Move, get out of here. I can't protect you and fight at the same time."

The child moved back and watched with wide eyes as Elenor stood and faced the beast again. It was larger now. It seemed to grow with every attack she threw at it, and it was becoming stronger as well. She knew that it was simply absorbing the darkness that she threw at it, but didn't know what else to do. She had no other magic that she could use on the thing, and she was not physically strong enough to fight it.

Turning to look at the girl, Elenor saw her quaking with fear, partially concealed under one of the slabs. She looked at Elenor with pleading eyes. She knew that Elenor was her only hope to get out of here.

Elenor turned back to the monster. Its snapping, slavering jaws where barely six inches from her. There was one way, one horrible and painful way that she could possibly defeat the monster, but if she failed, she would be utterly destroyed.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 10:01 am

Hex nearly pulled her hand back when she felt the heat rising from him. He should be ice cold now that Meran had cut him off from her magics, but he felt more fevered than anything. Slowly one of his hands twitched and he began to push himself upwards. He was coated in blood and grime, and the skin was peeling off as Meran's spell deteriorated, but his eyes appeared clear and confident as he looked at her. He reached out and touched her face, "My love, forgive me."

Hex reached up and clasped a hand over his, "How could I not?" She felt tears sliding down her cheeks as he reached out and pulled her into a gentle embrace, "Love, I need you to give me your wand."

Hex stiffened, suddenly afraid that it was some sort of trick. Of course, Meran wanted to get ahold of the wand, make her completely defenseless.

Vell felt her stiffen and reached up to run a hand through her hair, "Trust me love, this is the only way."

Hex pulled back and looked into his eyes. They weren't the glazed or strange eyes that she had seen earlier, they were the deep soulfull eyes that she remembered so well. Before she could think about it again, she handed it to him, "Here, take it."

Vell took it, and Hex watched in amazement as he absorbed it into himself. As he did, the rotting flesh seemed to reverse and become whole again. He stood, "Hold off that monster if you can, I'll take care of Meran."

Hex used him as leverage to stand, "Vell...how?"

Vell turned to her, "Not now love, just please be careful." He gave her a quick kiss and began striding purposefully towards Meran, who was busy trying to pull the rodent skeleton out of her pants.

She heard Vell's approach and looked up, "So, she brought you back to fight for her did she? Well, you're only a mindless puppet. It won't help her any."

Vell smirked, "I came back to help her. I gave my life once to save my love, and I will do so again."

Meran's eyebrow raised slightly and she snatched the skeleton out of her pants. She threw it on the floor and it lay very still, apparently the spell over it had worn out. Seh looked up at Vell again, "I will destroy you and her, then I will return and claim my place as ruler of that world as well."

Vell shook his head, "I think not."

Behind the two, Hex looked on in horror as the giant monster took another ground-shaking step towards her. She felt her legs grow weak and nearly crumpled.

With a great feat of will, she managed to remain standing. She stared up at the partially missing skull and held out a hand, "Halt!" The monster took another step.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 10:25 am

Elenor reached out and touched the creature on the nose. She felt her hand sink into the dark, bubbling surface and felt immense pain as the acidic substance began to peel the flesh from her bones. She gritted her teeth and opened all of the channels she had to the darkness. Instead of drawing through her soul though, she drew from the beast in front of her.

For a moment, nothing seemed to happen, then the beast's eyes widened and it tried to pull back. As Elenor's hand began to come out of it, blood gushed from the half eaten away stump that had once been part of her. She closed her eyes and shoved her arm farther it, trying not to think of what was happening to it.

"You can not do that, you are not strong enough to handle all of my creature." The replica watched with its dead eyes, not even trying to intervene, "You will die, and I will return in your place."

Elenor shook her head defiantly, "I will not give in. I will take you with me if I die."

Behind Elenor, the little girl was begining to stand. She watched as Elenor plunged her arm into the beast up to her elbow and followed it as it began to move back again. The beast seemed to be growing smaller with each step as it was absorbed into her. Its eyes were wide with panic and it looked to its master for help, but the replica made no move to stop Elenor.

Seeing the look that crossed the beasts face, Elenor plunged her arm in further, "See dear beast, it would let you die to destroy me. It would destroy you to kill one imperfect creation."

The beast's eyes widened as it looked at her, then narrowed as it looked back at the replica. A growl rose in its throat and it tried to turn away. Elenor thrust her arm in all the way to just below her shoulder, "No, I will not let you escape; you will be absorbed."

The beast's eyes turned back to her, and she felt a connection as they locked with hers. Its eyes opened wider, and suddenly the beast shattered, turning into millions of tiny shards of shadow. The shards shot towards her and she felt a horrible bruning as they envoloped her.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 10:44 am

Hex stumbled and scrambled back as the creature continued it's steady advance. She looked up and saw that it was right over her. One of the legs came down and she rolled to the side out of the way. Another speared the stone inches from her face. Something cold grabbed her roughly around the waist and she screamed as it lifted her into the air.

Meran heard the scream and looked over to see her monster with Hex in its grip. She looked back to Vell, "It is nearly over now. You will die, and so will she."

Vell stood defiantly, "No, you cannot destroy us." He held one hand up, palm out, and a sword of bone slid out through his palm. He grabbed onto its hilt as it emmerged and continued advancing on her, "You may not realize this, but I am stronger as I am now than I have ever been before. In this place I can make my own rules." Vell lunged forward, his sword aimed for her heart.

Meran dodged to the side and kicked him hard as he passed, "Surely you can do better than that." She smirked as there was another scream from the direction of her monster.

Not able to help himself, Vell looked over his shoulder and saw his loved one in the clutches of the bone and steel monster. She was struggling, but mostly helpless becuase he held her wand within him. He took a step towards her, "No...Hex." A club hit him from behind and he fell forward.

"See how easily you are distracted? You will die now." Meran raised the bone club for a finishing blow, and froze. An eerie, mournful wail sounded. It sounded somehow familiar to Vell.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 11:00 am

The girl watched as Elenor was enveloped in the darkness. She covered her eyes and didn't dare watch as she heard a gut wrenching scream of pain, then there was silence. Not wanting to, but not able to deny her impulse, she peaked through her fingers. Elenor stood motionless, staring into nothing. Her clothes were in tatters and her skin looked burned. Elenor turned slightly and the girl saw that her right arm was completely gone. In its place was what appeared to be the foreleg and paw of the beast.

Elenor turned to the replica, "You have lost." She waved the strange appendage and the replica burst into shards of darkness. The shards dissipated and Elenor turned to the girl, "Come now, we have to leave before she returns."

The little girl ran to Elenor, "The monster, it's..."

Elenor looked down at her paw, "It is in me. It is part of me now, just as you are part of me."

The little girl nodded, "Are you going to absorb me too?" She didn't sound afraid, after all, she'd just be returning to where she belonged.

Elenor shook her head, "The only reason that I can contain the beast is that I no longer have you inside of me. Come, we cannot stay here or she will return."

The little girl took Elenor's left hand and together they stepped through the door.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 11:22 am

Meran stumbled back, grabbing at her head and dropping the club, "What is that horrible noise?"

Vell stood, his sword hanging limply at his side. He watching in amazement as the giant monster began to sway back and forth in time to the wailing music. He heard a commotion outside and slowly, one by one corpses began to walk into the castle. He watched as they walked forward and arrayed themselves in front of the monster. As one they pushed forward and the monster tumbled into a useless pile of bones and metal. The music stopped.

Rushing forward, Vell pushed through the milling corpses and began digging through the pile. He flung metal and bone aside liek they wieghed nothing, "Hex...Hex, are you still there?"

Suddenly a pile of bones shifted and Hex's upper torso showed as she tried to pull herself free. Vell rushed to her side and quickly dug her out. He embraced her and covered her in kisses, "Hex...I thought you were dead, I'm so sorry."

Hex coughed slightly and hugged him back, "Let's get out of here."

Vell looked back to where Meran had been and froze. She had disappeared. During the commotion she had slipped away. He looked back to Hex, "I can't go with you. I don't belong in that world, and I haven't done what needs to be done here yet. I have to find Meran and kill her. I can't let her try this again."

Hex nodded slowly. She had known deep down that they wouldn't be able to remain together. Slowly she stood, "I have to leave now, something happened and I have to get back to see what happened to everyone else." She embraced him one more time and stepped away.

Vell made a motion for her to wait and held up the bone sword, "It's not a wand, but I can't return that to you. Take this and remember me. Farewell my love." He tossed the sword to her and waved slightly.

Hex caught the sword and slipped it into her belt, "Good-bye my love, may we meet again." She held back the tear as she turned and walked away through the door that had materialized beside her. She stepped through and closed it behind her.

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 11:41 am

Elenor stepped through the door and found herself in a black void. The girl clung to her hand and looked around with wide eyes. The girl's hand, which had felt not completely there before, now felt completely solid. She was now a real person.

The girl tugged on Elenor's dress, "Where is everything? Shouldn't there be something here?"

Elenor shrugged, "I don't think that we are completely free yet."

A door materialized a couple feet away and opened. Elenor and the little girl looked on as the door opened and Hex stepped through, holding a curved sword made of bone. Behind the Klundor, Elenor thought she saw a pile of bones and numerous corpses milling about. A very handsome human male was waving and appeared to be crying as the door shut. Just before the door closed completely, a small rodent skeleton scampered through and up Hex's leg. As the door shut, it disappeared out of exsistence.

Elenor looked at her, "Well, I suppose we have some talking to do, don't we?"

Hex shrugged, "It doesn't really matter right now."

Elenor nodded, "Well, we made it, but what about the other?"

Hex looked around, "I haven't seen him. Should we wait for him?"

Elenor shrugged, "A while at least maybe."

Posted By: Magus Oct 14, 2004 - 12:01 pm

When Hex and Elenor found their way out of their fears Sabal-Gah had found his way out of the void. He had come to realize something, the void of pitch black was so familiar to him for one reason; it was the blackness of his very soul.

He came at last to his steed, black as the void but lively as the night. It stood perfectly still as he came towards it.

It was an uneasy stillness. The beast new. It had sensed the change in its master.

Sabal-Gah came at his side and did something he had never before done. He stroked the horses mane affectionately, bringing in the smell and aqir and feel of him. He dug in his pockets and procured a small carrot, with the horse ate reluctantly, almost suspicious of some kind of poison.

"You can sense it, can you not? I am not myself. I am no longer Sabal-Gah, for no longer am I absent of a soul. It's name does not suite me any longer. Perhaps another name, one more suiting of my new self, is in order."

Posted By: Mir Oct 14, 2004 - 12:26 pm

The little girl looked at Elenor, "Elenor, who is that?" She pointed at Hex.

Elenor looked down at the girl, "She is one of the experiments I worked on. She escaped like you and I did."

Hex looked over, "Who is the girl? She looks a lot like you."

Elenor pushed the girl forward slightly, "Go on, introduce yourself."

The girl curtsied politely, "I am Elenor. This is Elenor too. I'm her innocence."

Hex looked from one to the other, quite confused, "I am Hex."

Elenor, the adult Elenor nodded, "That could get quite confusing. Now that you aren't still trapped, you should pick your own name."

The girl looked up, "Really, I get my own name? Anything I want?"

Elenor nodded, "Yes, anything you want."

The girl smiled, "Can I be called Lancet?"

Elenor smiled slightly, "Of course."

Hex shook her head in confusion and sat down on the nonexsistant ground of the void, "What happened to you?"

Elenor looked to her, "I was about to ask you the same thing." She sat down and Lancet sat down right beside her.

Hex shrugged, "Well..." The trio spent the next several hours explaining what had happened and discussing how to get out of the void.

Posted By: Magus Oct 14, 2004 - 03:39 pm

"I no longer Sabal-Gah." The changed illusionist told his steed. "I am different now, and thus require a new name. I think Mil Relevo would be fitting, wouldn't you say?"

He patted his horse again and began mounting him. He looked at the moon, full as a pregnent woman, taking up the whole of the sky. It was a new beginning for him. This was the end of Sabal-Gah, the start of Mil Relevo.

He rode off into the night, heedless of what direction he was taking. His obsession with his brother had subsided, for now, at least. But he knew that, when the time came, when he met his brother in their duel, he would fight. He would fight and one of them would die. That was his fate, his and Shabel-Grah's.

Posted By: SirJill Oct 15, 2004 - 01:42 pm

Digger's world had slammed to a different time, a different place. The forest that had been had melted away, replaced by an area he never though he would see again. It was as if he had been transported into the world of his nightmares. Or more properly the world of his past.

He was set dead center of a clearing, the remains of a fire pit smoldering around his ankles. He stepped out quickly, his hand groping for his sword, his eyes casting around. He could hear his heart thundering against his ribcage as his eyes took in this place he never wanted to see again.

The clearing was ringed by tall walls that he knew from experience were unscaleable. Goddess knows he had tried. Beyond those walls was the rest of the training compound, it's grunts and shrieks grating on his ears. He shut his eyes, knowing that if he was found here, now, that he would be chained again, brought forcibly back to the life he had escaped.

Behind him was a large wooden door, he knew without having to turn. It was the only way in to the pit of the arena and his only hope of escape.

Posted By: SirJill Oct 16, 2004 - 01:06 pm

He turned and ran toward it, hearing the creak of machinery from somewhere deep inside the arena. He shut his eyes for a moment and dropped back, feeling cold terror flood through him as his sister stalked through the door, a sword in her hand. She had a wicked smirk on her face and twirled the sword.

Digger! His name ripped though the scene to a part of his mind that didn't feel right, that felt off. He flinched; she was so loud.

I've got to fight her now, Elira. Don't distract me. Please. He pleaded, sick at heart as Rowena approched.

Digger you're not listening to me. This isn't right. Let her kill you.

WHAT!?

Posted By: SirJill Oct 21, 2004 - 04:29 pm

You heard what I said. Let her kill you. Something is wrong here.

Elira, you're crazy.

If I am I'm crazy because I'm right.

Rowena advanced on Digger, who backed up a few steps. After a moment he met her eyes and stood his ground. She advanced on him, and twirled the sword again.
"What Digger? Aren't you going to do anything? Try and take this from me? Would you kill me?" She asked.

Digger shook his head, "No, Rowena, I wouldn't."

She snorted, "Well, I can't say the same for you." She leaped forward and brought the sword down hard. It screamed against Digger's shoulder bone, forcing him to his knees. He cried out in pain, but didn't move. Rowena brought the sword down again, through his chest and then his heart.

Digger's eyes opened with a snap. He was lying on his back, staring up at a leafy canopy. His breathing was heavy and his shoulder throbbed with pain.

Elira? What the hell is going on?

He could hear a smile in her voice. "I told you so. You're alive, aren't you?"

Posted By: Magus Oct 21, 2004 - 05:55 pm

Sabal-Gah, or rather Mil Relevo, rode through the night. The moon was rising and the wind was in his face. He had never felt wuite this way before. He had never felt quite this... alive.

Little did he know where he was going. He may have changed. He even looked different. In his true form the thin film of darkness and crushing weight that had, for all of his life, surrounded him and all but dissapated. His deep cracks of shadow that had betrayed his age had likewise been discarded. His pale skin had now taken a more natural hue. But his heart seemed heavy, as if, after so many years among the living, it had only just begun to beat.

Little did he realise that, while he may have indeed changed, his destiny had not. All things served destiny and he was no exception. He had, by sheer chance and will of the powers that be, taken the road leading strait towards the tomb.

Thus began the darkening close of this chapter of human frailty and sorrow.

Posted By: Mir Oct 22, 2004 - 10:05 am

Hex looked around at the darkness. She had no problem sitting in it a similiar darkness had covered her memories for as long as she could remember. The others did look so happy about it though. She finally stood, "Let's find our way out. I don't think that any of the others made it...or if they did, they're already out."

Elenor stood, dusting herself off with her one hand. She nodded, "Yes, there is no point in waiting here. We need to find a way out."

Hex looked around for a few moments, then started walking, "I think that it's this way."

Elenor reached out and took Lancet's hand, then followed Hex. She wasn't sure that they were going the right direction, but anything was better than wasting time doing nothing. From somewhere within her she felt that primordial beast that she had absorbed stir; it was still alive within her, and she would have to live with it for as long as she still drew breath.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 23, 2004 - 09:37 am

(this is Nikiera, an Aasimar mage and jack of all trades. Tierny is her familiar, a white Bengal tiger)

From within the darkness, two icy blue-green eyes watched the two women walking. She had been lonely for so long, it seemed like an eternity. as this thought crosed her mind, something nudged her leg. She'd forgotten about Tierny, they'd been together for so long, the snowy white tiger seemed like an extention of herself. Mustering her courage, she stepped from the shadows.

Her hair was the lighest white-blonde, reaching down to her waist and her skin was a pale golden color. she was tall and slender, strong looking. she wore dark brown pants, black boots, a pale blue tunic, and a golden-green cloak. she was an Aasimar, a fading, scattered race. her name was Nikiera.

"Greetings Travelers. I am Nikiera and this is Tierny. We are in want of companions and a good adventure. Which way are you headed?"

Posted By: Mir Oct 25, 2004 - 09:40 am

Hex stopped and studied the person. She was suspicious of anything that they found in this place. She raised a hand in greeting, "I am Hex, and these are Elenor and Lancet. We're headed out of this place, I am not sure where to after that."

Lancet looked around Hex, her eyes wide and innocent, then looked back to Elenor. Elenor was studying the newcomer quite carefully. Finally the elf spoke, "What are you doing in this place?"

Posted By: Magus Oct 25, 2004 - 12:33 pm

The spell began to weken ands fade. Not having anybody left in itrs confines to power it, its power waned and dissapated. The shadows lightened from pitch darkness to a light black, and even then it went from onyx to a dark gray, and from there to a lighter shade. Slowly it bacame as a thick fog, and even then it thinnede. And what a sight was left after that fog faded into nothing more then a memory.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 25, 2004 - 12:54 pm

Nikiera looked in astonishment as her surroundings faded slowly, changing.

"oh thank goodness! you saved us! We've been trapped in that dreadful place for AGES! thank you so much!" she was beside herself with happiness. Tierny and she were free!

'not me, YOU are free. I am still doomed to serve you until you dismiss me, mistress.' Tierny telepathically reminded Nikiera. Tierny longingly remembered the good times, times before she'd lost favor with Nikiera, times when they'd been the best of friends....
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:53 am

Posted By: Magus Oct 25, 2004 - 01:06 pm

The moon was out, and it was full. The stars shone like celestial jewels. And the landscape, it was worse then the darkness. It was fear incarnate, literally.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 25, 2004 - 01:35 pm

Nikiera screamed, not again! why did this keep happening? who was controlling this illusion she was trapped in? how did she get trapped? the only people she ever offended she had delt with...accordingly.

Posted By: Mir Oct 25, 2004 - 02:55 pm

Hex looked around, recognizing part of the desolate, blood soaked landscape. She cast a glance over her shoulder at Elenor and saw that the elf was looking around as well.

Elenor sniffed slightly and turned to Hex, "What is this place?"

Hex shrugged, "The darkness I knew about, but this...this is a little of my fears and something else."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 26, 2004 - 01:11 pm

FEARS....the word threw Nikiera into a revarie. something she wished would never happen.

The world spun, the colors melting into each other, swirling together like paint from an artist's fallen palette. When the colors became solid, forming shapes again, Nikiera found herself standing over a deep ravine, on the edge of a sharp, narrow ledge. A thick green smoke emanated forth from the chasm, tainting the air. Nikiera gagged, she couldn't breathe...the air was stale, the green poison fogging her mind quickly. She gasped, falling to the ground, sliding in some slimy substance she couldn't identify. She was clinging to the edge of the cliff, lost in the smoke, her life hanging by only eight long, bony fingers. She opened her mouth to call out for help but poison fumes rushed in, causing her to cough violently, stopping her cry for help in her throat.

One finger slipped. Nikiera's feet swung slightly as they dangled above the void. Footsteps reverberated through the cave, surrounding Nikiera, consuming her, echoing in the very depths of her soul. They were light, clicking footsteps, you could tell they were graceful by the sound. They were feminine footsteps and Nikiera knew exactly who they belonged to. The fog parted, if by magic and Nikiera saw her.

Tierny. She had once been a human woman, the most beautiful, powerful, willful mage in many lands. She had been a great friend once also. But those times were well past. There had been an argument, a duel, and enslavement. Tierny had lost, doomed to serve Nikiera until she died. But now she was in her human form, powerful and gorgeous once more. This was how Nikiera feared her.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 26, 2004 - 01:15 pm

Tierny growled, jogging Nikiera into reality, as horriffic as it was. Tierny was a tiger, Nikiera was standing on her own two feet, and the landscape around them was soaked in blood. the mage responded when she heard the elf and the klundor speaking.

"it seems familiar, only parts of it though. where are we?"

Posted By: Mir Oct 26, 2004 - 01:48 pm

Elenor looked about analyzing the scene. She recognized pieces of the landscape as well. Bits and pieces of the lab stood among the rest of the barren landscape, twisted to near irreconnizable forms.

Elenor gripped Lancet's hand more tightly, "This place seems to be made of all of our fears. The illusionist was truly more powerful than I thought. I should have been able to predict this though.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 27, 2004 - 01:25 pm

Nikiera looked at the elf curiously. "Illusionist? what was this illusionist's name? and more importantly, how do we get out??" her tone of voice was bordering hysterics. the tiger beside her seemed to be grinning at her fear.

Posted By: Mir Oct 28, 2004 - 11:45 am

Elenor looked over and quirked an eyebrow, "I do care about this illusionist's name. I am afraid that I made him more powerful though.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Oct 28, 2004 - 12:02 pm

Nikiera shuddered at the thought of such a powerful illusionist wandering the world.

"so this is naught but an illusion?" she asked, puzzled. it seemed so real. . .

Posted By: Mir Oct 28, 2004 - 02:16 pm

Elenor nodded seriously, "Yes, he can make his illusions real. I'm afraid that that is my fault. I agreed to show him the power that he wanted. I'm afraid he gained more powers than I intended him too."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Nov 02, 2004 - 12:13 pm

Nikiera nodded as if she understood. Tierny glared at her, growling. maybe these people would not fall so easily into her mistress's trap. they seemed smarter than the others. maybe they would free her. she had to hope they wouldnt make Nikiera mad, though. no one could know what would happen then. . .

Posted By: Mir Nov 03, 2004 - 07:29 am

Elenor looked around at the desolate landscape with its twisted structures and blood soaked ground. She had not imagined that Hex's fears could run so deep...they seemed the predominant feature of this place. She could feel Lancet's grip on her hand tighten, and she looked down to see the child glancing at the newcomers. She was looking at the tiger in a strange way, but said nothing.

Hex turned to look at her. She was stroking that strange bone sword that she now carried. A necromancer without a wand...strange indeed. They stood looking at each other for quite a while, then Hex began moving, "I think it's this way."

Elenor quirked an eyebrow, then followed.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Nov 03, 2004 - 12:34 pm

Nikiera followed the women quietly as one seemed to know where she was going and the other seemed to trust her judgement. the little girl was watching Tierny closely. could she have guessed the secret? Nikiera waited for their attentions to wander before swiftly planting her sharp foot in the tigers ribs. Tierny took the abuse silently, she was used to it by now.

Posted By: Mir Nov 04, 2004 - 09:31 am

Lancet tugged on Elenor's arm, "Elenor, something's strange."
Elenor nodded, "Yes, but let's continue on. I wish to be free of this place soon." She looked forward, trying to ignore the strange black paw that was now in place of her arm.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Nov 04, 2004 - 12:36 pm

Tierny overheard the exchange and felt her heart leap with joy. could the little girl have guessed? something was INDEED strange...about her. she was so small but power seemed to flow through her veins, a certain innocence about her made her seeem even more precious.

Nikiera was busy studying the setting around them. something was hauntingly familiar. she glanced at Tierny and her heart lept into her throat. she was human again! restored to her full powers, and out for revenge! Nikiera blinked in fear and Tierny was once again a plain white tiger. it was just her imagination. She could have laughed in relief.

Posted By: Mir Nov 04, 2004 - 01:43 pm

Lancet cast a glance in the direction of the tiger again, then turned back to Elenor. She watched as the paw of darkness swayed back in forth in rythym with Elenor's stride. The was a slight twitch in the paw, as if it had moved on its own. Lancet turned her head sideways to look at it and the paw became still again.

Posted By: Magus Nov 04, 2004 - 01:53 pm

**Far along the road to The Tomb of Orceth**

Far away, along the road leading to The Tomb of Orceth, rode Mil Relevo, formerly Sabal-Gah, the soulless illusionist. He had killed his parents, burnt them alive in their home. He had killed his brother's fiance, raping her then defiling her corpse. He had framed him for the murder and let him leave their home in fear of being taken by the mob. And, up until this moment in his life, had done his best to kill his brother and anybody else he came across along this road in life.

But that had changed when the abjuror Elenor had come to him. That all changed when she granted him his most desired power, to manifest his illusions in a physical form. It had come at a secret price, his soul. He did not give up a soul; nay, it was quite the opposite. He had discovered that he was to take on a soul.

He road into the night, this new soul burning in him as he remembered. He remembered his mother's screams as she burnt. He remembered his father's prayer. He remembered the princess's plees to release her, her screams as he raped her and her gore as he dessimated her corpse.

But most of all, he remembered Him. He remembered his brother's face when he saw the ashes of his home and parents. He remembered his face when he saw his wife and when he saw the guard come to arrest him. He remembered the sorrow deeply embedded in it, and the hate also.

He only wished he could change it, alter the course of history and change what he had done. But he could not. And he would spend the rest of his life attoning for those sins of his past.

Posted By: Mir Nov 04, 2004 - 02:53 pm

Elenor halted and looked around. She was sure that she had seen this same area not too long ago. Hex seemed to have realized it too and pulled to a stop. She looked back over her shoulder, "Elenor..."

Elenor nodded, so the experiment seemed to have lost her way. Strange that it should happen after all that they had managed to escape. Elenor turned to Lancet, "Which way do we go?"

Lancet looked up at her adult self and then to Hex. With a strangely calm expression, she turned her gaze on the sky. She stood like that for a long moment, contemplating the question. Finally she turned and pulled on Elenor's hand, "We should go this way."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Nov 05, 2004 - 12:26 pm

Tierny took the change to speed up her pace and strode alongside the little girl. she was fond of her, the little girl had great potential even if she didnt realize it. Tierny worked her magic at an almost intangible level, flattening out bumbs and potholes along the way so the girl would have level ground. until of course, Nikiera realized what was happening.

the soceress latched onto Tierny's central subconcious and sent a pulse of power through. the tiger came back to her side with its tail between its legs and ears flat to its sides.

"i feel as though i must ask" Nikiera began in a haughty tone. "where EXACTLY are you leading us, little girl?"

Posted By: Magus Nov 05, 2004 - 01:04 pm

"Where does my path lead me?" Mil Relevo mused to himself. "Where do these crossing roads end? What is the goal they belong to? Where will I come at last?"
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:54 am

Posted By: Mir Nov 08, 2004 - 09:06 am

"I'm following his shadow."

Elenor looked questioningly at Lancet as she spoke, fairly sure that she knew who Lancet was speaking of, but she wanted to make sure, "Who's shadow are you following?"

Lancet looked up at Elenor with wide eyes, "The wizard's."

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Nov 09, 2004 - 12:46 pm

Nikiera stopped suddenly, causing Tierny to plow into her and fall over.

"stupid lion." she muttered under her breath, knowing very well that Tierny was a tiger and not a lion. she directed her perfect ice green eyes in the little girl's direction.

"let me get this straight. she " she said, pointing at Elenor "made this bloke stronger just so he could trap us in illusions of our greatest fears and when we finally escape you want to follow his shadow for what? havent you had enough?" Nikiera asked, her memory triggered as she thought of the illusion. . . .

Posted By: Mir Nov 09, 2004 - 03:07 pm

Elenor turned a cold look on the others, "She is leading us out. Surely he can escape, or at least lead us to one. It is not a matter of what we want but a matter of what must be done."

Posted By: Magus Nov 11, 2004 - 10:15 am

Onward he rode. He raced across the night with the shadows behind him and his future before him. The silence deafened him and his memories haunted him. And so he outran them. He didn't realize he came ever closer to the tomb, his final fate thre awaiting him.

Posted By: Mir Nov 11, 2004 - 10:25 am

Lancet sped up her steps, trying to keep up with the racing shadow in front of her. She ignored the others as they argued, concentrating on the task at hand. It was no easy feet to track a shadow across this landscape.

Posted By: Magus Nov 11, 2004 - 10:58 am

Onward, onward. He raced faster and faster, trying to outrun the demons of his past; trying to evade the horrors of his future; trying to not be assaulted by the reality of the present. So he rode fast and raced harder, headless to the road ahead.

Posted By: Mir Nov 11, 2004 - 11:44 am

Lancet felt a sense of dread rising within her. She knew that something big, something that could change existence as everyone knew it was about to happen. She had to reach the place in time, there must be something that she could do to help the people. She could sense them growing nearer.

Behind her the others had increased their speed to match hers. She was running now, following the strange shadow that moved so quickly along in front of her. She new she had to be getting closer.

Posted By: Mir Nov 24, 2004 - 08:14 am

Suddenly the very exsistence rippled around them. The moon shaded lands began to blur and lose their reality...the blood soaked ground began to waver and fade.

Lancet grabbed Elenor's hand and reached out and snagged Hex by the back of her robes. She clung to them tightly, feeling the sense of dread rising within her. She knew that they were about to fall into something big.

The ground wavered and the sky flexed. Suddenly everything around them shattered, dropping the party straight down so that they landed in a heap on cold, clamy ground...

Posted By: Magus Nov 24, 2004 - 11:16 am

A BREAK! Mil-Relevo thought.

A break had occurred, he knew it. A break in the spell he had cast.

A magical break was when a spell suddenly, and quite violently, broke off. It was usually the after effects of a powerful spell, so he knew it had been his.

He stopped his steed and turned it around. He sat their, paused in his course. He found himself wondering if he should return; to go back and set things right.

But the call of this path was too great. What would he do? What could he do? What words could he speak to make things better?

He continued down the road without a second thought. He did not pause again. But still the memories of his guilt passed through his mind and still he thought of what this break of his magic sould meen. He let his thoughts envelppe him as his horse lead him toward his destiny.

Posted By: *_* fiery red *_* Dec 21, 2004 - 01:28 pm

Nikiera took notice of nothing, she was in her own world, thinking of the illusion she'd just escaped from. In a flash, she was there, reliving every moment.

Tierny towered over her now, angry and powerful. Her eyes gleamed emerald green, her hair was long, to the middle of her back. It was poker-straight and a soft, coppery red color. As if by some imagined wind, it blew back, away from her face. The ghost of her familiar perched upon her shoulder, a majestic sea eagle. It's eyes flashed gold and Nikiera remembered killing it, her long delicate fingers wrapped around it's neck, crushing, crushing. Until it ceased twitching or fighting at all. Tierny had begged her to stop then, but Nikiera had turned a deaf ear to her pleas. Now it was Nikiera pleading for help as she looked up to the powerful sorceress standing above her. She was hanging on to the edge for dear life.

"Tierny, friend, help me!" she pleaded. The sorceress grew near, the imagined wind rippling and tousling the long seam of her dress. It shimmered the silver of a fallen star, a thick copper colored belt rested on her hips. In it was sheathed two short swords with onyx pommels. The blades were thin and pale. Tierny stopped, the toe of her high-heeled boots only a finger's length from where Nikiera's hands clutched the rock, gripping for her life.

One moment it appeared she was bending down to help her friend, but an instant later the sharp stiletto heel of her boot was mashing down on Nikiera's fingers.

"It is a far better end than you deserve, betrayer, one-who-was-once-my-friend. Good bye." She said, flicking her long, emerald green nails and saying simply: "Fall." Such a sorceress Tierny was, an enchantress who played with the mind, she had only to say that one simple word and Nikiera fell. Down. . . . down. . . . . down. . . .until the putrid green smoke and the darkness took her.
Nikiera was safe, she wasn't really falling, she wasn't hanging by her fingertips at the mercy of one she had once loved as a sister and then betrayed, she was walking. And Tierny was still in the form of a tiger, her beloved, ghostly sea-eagle nowhere to be seen.

Posted By: Magus Dec 29, 2004 - 08:55 pm

Mil Relevo raced on. Eventually he came to a ridge and stopped.

He couldn't see anything, he was much to far away for that. But he could feel something, magic; powerful magic. There was a lot of it, and close.

He started to turn to the left, but stopped himself. He patted his horse and held him steady.

Why should he turn? He has taken over a new leaf now. There's a lot of powerful magic being expelled down yonder. What if somebody needs help. It would be a fine start to a new life, would it not?

He turn his steed and raced off in the new direction. He raced for that magic that was entirely new, but not entirely unfamilier. He knew the source of this magic, but it raced about his mind too quickly to grab hold of it.

He knew that mage, of this he was certain. Of this, but nothing more.

Time would tell him the truth. In time he would know.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Magus » Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:55 am

And thus ends the To Orceth Side Adventure. Now to be continued in The Tomb of Orceth.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Previous

Return to Lycoria: The Stories