speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Meroldor Reborn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Llew » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:48 pm

Llew had kept himself busy, if only to keep his mind off from the crumbled keep. But now the dead were buried and the last of the ruined city's inhabitance were being rescued. Llew had laid aside his elven hauberk when he had taken up a shovel, and now he sat, gazing at the wolf blade that lay across his knees. His shoulders bunched in agitation, and then he stood up sharply. "You did it before, you can do it agian." He said grimly to the sword as he started towards the keep. He stopped beside a group of men that were clearing away the rumble, and taking a deep breath, told them calmly to step aside. He paused a moment, and then taking the blade in two hands, plunged it into the stone.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Mr_D » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:16 am

‘It’s no use. I’m going to die here.’ The words echoed in Sol’s mind.

“Now do you see the error of your ways?” Altair sneered. “To think you could ever have beaten me.” He grinned.

Flashes of memories crossed Sol’s mind. Kiarra, Andreas, Llew and the others. Those who had fallen and those who still lived. His loved ones back home, Lelouch and the Princess. Their memories brought new strength to his body.

‘But at least… I’m going to go down fighting.’ He thought. The sigil on his left arm began to glow. He clenched his fist.

“Normal swords won’t do against him. I need something stronger.” He said, rising to his feet. He sclosed his eyes, focussing his will. Breathing deeply Sol imagined a river of light, flowing from a far off distant point on the horizon, tracing it's way through a long and winding path. The sigil glowed brighter with blood red light, like a raging fire it shone forth. Still the power was not enough. He concentrated, forcing himself past his limits. His nerves tingled with the raw power that surged through his body. Again, the light surged forth. Still he focussed, pushing further. Every cell of his being was alight with white hot fire. Another surge, and another, and another until all he could envisage was illuminated with coursing energy, crashing like waves. Arcs of raw power jumped about his body as he channelled his power into his right hand.

“Use it!” An ominous voice commanded. Sol could feel the presence in his mind awakening, urging him onward to kill. “Go forth. Slay your enemies and step over their bodies. A never ending battlefield awaits you. All before you shall perish before your might. The power is yours.” In Sol’s hand a radiant beam of light issued forth, and when it passed revealed a shining obsidian blade, the undulating blade tapering to a sharp point. A ghastly blue smoke issued from it’s surface. The sword guard was forged intricately into the shape of a skull, with several large points jutting viciously from the surface. Beneath his jacket his armour was renewed, the smooth curves and gleaming silver of the elven plate replaced with sharp, angular, form fitting black steel that gave Sol a menacing appearance.

“You may kill me, but I’ll make you work for it.” Sol said. Drawing back their weapons the two combatants charged forward, meeting in the middle. The monster’s scimitar screamed through the air as it made to chop the small man in half vertically. With lightning movements Sol brought his own sword down, the blade sang as he swung it, emitting a high pitched wail that seemed to call out for blood. Amon’s scimitar shattered against Sol’s weapon and the strange, waved blade bit deep into the creature’s side, drawing a large gash through flesh and muscle. Amon bellowed in pain, swatting Sol aside with it’s ponderous fists. Landing nimbly on his feet he opened his free hand, a flash of golden light revealing a broad headed lance. Leaping at his enemy he jammed the shaft through its leg, the tip skipping against the bone before erupting from the other side, transfixing it to the floor.

Summoning weapon after weapon Sol proceeded to skewer the behemoth before lunging forward, thrusting the tip of his sword into Amon’s chest. At last the creature ceased it’s struggles. As he began to withdraw the blade a huge hand came up to grip it, snapping the blade in two. Sol barely had time to register the fact before the two hands wrapped around his throat and he was lifted off his feet.

Exhausted and near death, Sol fought raised his battered arms above his head, fixing his eyes on Amon’s fierce, maddened gaze before striking down with all his strength, forcing the shattered steel of his spectral weapon into Amon’s neck. Thick red blood gushed from the wound as the creature gripped tighter in an attempt to snap the mage’s neck. With a final strike Sol drove the blade into Amon’s jugular and the monster’s hands released him, the fire in it’s eyes extinguished at last.

Sol staggered back, taking deep gasps of air. Alone he had defeated the unstoppable giant of ancient Meroldor. And yet…

He fell to his knees, overcome at last by his wounds. Retrieving a broadsword from one of the fallen soldiers he limped towards the throne that now sat atop a mountain of corpses. He gazed at where Amon’s body stood, arms outstretched, pierced by hundreds of weapons, frozen in time and wondered. Where had that sword come from? He had manifested the weapons from nothing, such magic was thought to be impossible. In any case, it didn’t matter now. He felt his strength draining and, lowering himself onto the throne, allowed his eyes to close.

“Time to rest.” He thought.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:09 pm

Arden let go the grip of the iron pike he used as leverage to release some rock from the crashed down keep, and looked at Llew. "You're going to ruin your sword if you keep doing that.", he said. Then he noticed something, frowned, and turned to listen. He took a deep breath.

"Silence...", he muttered. "Not a sound..." He looked to his men, and growled: "Alright, men, put your soul into it now, damn it! We've got to get in there quickly!" He turned to Llew, and said, with a frown: "If you can do anything with that fancy sword of yours, to get us in there, then do it. Otherwise, feel free to grab a pike and help us out."

With unified strength, they managed to release a large block of stone that fell to the side with a rumble, but behind it was revealed yet another block of heavy rock blocking their path. "Damn it.", Arden whispered to himself, as he moved closer to the new obstacle. His hand touched the rock, and he muttered:

"Hang on, in there... We're on our way... A hero never dies, so don't you dare take the chill on me now..."
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Mr_D » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:36 pm

Lelouch and his soldiers arrived outside the castle.

"Right men, one of our own is trapped inside that building, so get to work. Remember, we never leave a man behind." He said with a determined frown. Heading to the collapsed gate he began to dig, lifting the crumbled masonry and tossing it aside. "Don't die yet, Sol. We still have business to attend to." He uttered to himself.

In the streets the nightmarish ghouls that had assisted the allies began to wither away and the reanimated corpses crumpled to the floor, finally released to their final rest as Sol's sorcery ran it's course.

Aiyu fluttered down onto Kiarra's shoulder with a quiet sigh, her heart heavy with concern for her master. She looked downcast as he curled up on the woman's shoulder and closed her eyes.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:14 am

"Don't despair little one. We will get your master out."

Tylorian appeared with a tall staff aimed at Sol's temporary stone prison. "Stand back!" She shouted. A bright light shot forth and the remaining wall fell with a loud rumble.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:54 am

"Well done, my lady.", Arden called over to her with a flrting smile. But it disappeared quickly as he focused at the job at hand, and he signaled to his men. With torches in one hand and swords in the other, they rushed through the opening with Arden in their lead. Behind them many others followed. It was pitch black inside, but the burning lights of the torches chased away the darkness as they went deeper and deeper into the keep.

"He can't be alive, can he, captain?", one of the soldiers asked as they ran down the corridors. "That monster, I saw it. It was humongous... There's no way a human could defeat it in single combat..." Arden gritted his teeth.
"It's bad enough if that is the case, there's no need for us to believe it to be so." As they reached the door into the throne room, or where it had been before, Arden lashed out with his hand in a signal and said: "Fan out, and search for survivors! And find the wizard!"

They moved deeper into the throne room, it's misty light making it difficult to see. Even the windows that had been there once were now crushed and there was no lights let into the chambers, except that of their torches. Arden screwed up his eyes and let them wander the room, searching for the human wizard, while his men began to check the corpses that littered the ground from the battle earlier that day. "Captain! You better take a look at this.", one of them suddenly called out, with a bright and shocked voice. Arden soon stepped up by his side. His eyes widened when he saw the corpse of the monster, full of bloodied wounds, each one of them equally deadly.

Then, he suddenly looked up to the throne, and felt his heart jump in surprise. There, on the throne, a single man sat, his eyes closed, and full of wounds, he was in very bad shape. "Get Rukie in here, quickly!", Arden growled to one of his men, as he rushed up to the throne. It was the wizard, but he didn't seem to acknowledge Arden's presence. The mercenary felt for and found his pulse, though it was very weak.

"Nice job, wizard. I didn't think you had it in you.", he said with a smile, though he was unsure if the man could hear him. "Just keep breathing, we'll have you out of this hole in no time." A moment later, he felt a soft hand on his shoulder, and he stepped aside for Rukie as she approached the wizard. She gave him a quick and warm glance before she began her work.

Arden took a deep breath, and backed away from the throne as more of Rukie's clerics arrived to help her.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:05 pm

The little sprite quickly flew over and whispered in her masters ear, hoping that he could hear her. Kitandra stood close by in silence clasping her hands in prayer.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:22 pm

Sol sat upon the throne, at the feet of which lay a mountain of corpses. He was slumped back, a broadsword rested next to him, over his shoulder. He appeared to be sleeping peacefully, though blood covered his clothes and skin. His eyes flashed open, they were no longer the noble and hard eyes they had once been, they were fierce and malevolent, fixed on a distant target like one engaged in mortal combat. In the grisly chamber he appeared like some king of the dead.

His face softened as he saw the others.

"You could wake the dead." He laughed painfully with a gasp. His body was wracked by coughing.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:00 am

"That's right, you just sit there and be sarcastic.", Arden said with a smile and crossed arms. Then he looked up into the roof, as if gazing into the sky, and added: "But you're going to get cursed if you continue to sit down in dead kings' thrones like this. C'mon, let's get out of this dump, it gives me the creeps."

He gestured with his hand, and two of his men approached the wizard, to help him up on his feet and get him out of there. It was still risky to be in the keep, since it could come crashing down on them any second.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:34 am

Aiyu leapt joyously when Sol awakened. Fluttering in front of his face she began to berate him through tearful eyes.

"Don't you ever do that again." She squealed on the brink of crying.

"Don't worry. I'm in no hurry to." He chuckled painfully. The two soldiers lifted Sol from the throne.

As they left the keep Sol spared one last look back at the towering monstrosity.

"You almost had me." He whispered under his breath. With a shake of his head he limped out, allowing the two men either side of him to support his weight.

The cool morning air greeted, the msit that curled through the city streets was no longer so menacing. Dew glistened on the beautiful masonry of the ancient city.

"So you're still alive." Lelouch greeted Sol, whose peaceful expression faded quickly.

"Knights of the Legion D'honneur, arrest that man at once!" Lelouch commanded, drawing his sabre and levelling it at Sol. Immediately two of his soldiers advanced, pressing their lances across Sol's neck whilst the others levelled their weapons at his body. Sol seemed to accept his fate, giving no resistance or even a word of protest. His face was set in cold tranquility.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:48 am

As soon as the soldiers drew their weapons, the elven mercenaries present all pulled swords as well, and Arden was the quickest of them all. His elfblade soon pointed towards Lelouch's throat, and a glimmer in his eye, as cold as ice and as callous towards death as a death god, caused some of his lieutenants present to wince. "This man is one of the Heroes of Merolder.", he said with complete calm. "He is also under the protection and friendship of Bregan Savant. If you want him, you will have to fight through me and my men first. And, incidentally...", he added with a smile that could only be described as blood-thirsty. "...you will be the first to die."

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:54 am

"My orders are clear." Lelouch stated calmly. Several of his soldiers brought their lances to bear on Arden. "In the name of the king of Sachem I am to retrieve the traitor and heretic Sol Vandemion and bring him to justice. Any who stand in my way are to be eliminated."

"Drop your weapons, please." Sol asked of Arden, his face still impassive and his voice monotone and resolute. "Fighting here will do no good. I shall go with them." He said, raising his hands for the knights to shackle.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories