speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Meroldor Reborn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:02 am

Arden shook his head.
"Listen to me, wizard.", he said. "You risked your life for me earlier. Now let me do the same for you." With his free hand he gestured around them: "Look around you. Around you, you have loyal friends, soldiers... But more importantly, you have a city. You quite possibly saved this city from destruction... This...man...", he said, looking at Loulech and only using the word "man" with obvious disgust. "...may have a legion to back him up. But you...you have an entire city that will protect you." His Jade-colored eyes turned to Lelouch again, and he continued:

"Do you really want to fight an entire city, over a traitor? Do you really want to die over a traitor?"
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Mr_D » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:06 am

Lelouch sighed.

"I understand you're only doing what you believe is right. But understand that I too am only doing what I belive right; my job. I must carry out my orders, regardless of who stands in my way, regardless of what happens to me and my men."

Sol shook his head at Arden. "this isn't worth fighting for. If the two of you engage each other then more people will die. I can't bear that burden on my conscience."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:14 am

Arden gritted his teeth at the undeniable logic from Sol, practically ignoring the wizard's request for him and his men to put down arms. For them, putting down arms was as revolting as cannibalism, let alone put down arms for a legion of knights.

"An idealist, huh?", he muttered. "I hate idealists. The problem with your kind is, one cannot reason with you. Idealists...more like fanatics." He spitted in disgust. Just the thought of leaving the wizard to the knights was revolting, moreso because Arden resented knights, as a mercenary. "Well, I hope you're prepared to make good on your fanatical promises.", he finally continued. "It seems you and I are both destined to die here today. At least I die with a smile on my face...", he added, with a grimace that could hardly be called a smile.

Suddenly, he felt a soft hand on his shoulder. Turning his head slightly, he saw Rukie. Her eyes met his, and almost unnoticably, she shook her head to him. Arden again gritted his teeth so hard they screamed witn pain. But even for her, he could not abandon a friend in need. His eyes turned back to Lelouch, and he said:

"Let me make this as clear as possible to you, fanatic... You...are not going...anywhere with this man. And if you're prepared to die because of that, then let's dance. But you can't win, and if you give the order, you're no knight, let alone captain. Because, if you do, you will order your men to their deaths. And no true captain would ever do that to his men. That is the way of a murderer, not a knight."

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:19 am

"That man is a friend of mine, and it pains me to do this. But nevertheless he is too dangerous to be left to his own devices. If you knew the truth perhaps you'd be more hesitant to defend him with your life." Lelouch tired of the man's self righteous indignation.

"Know that if you intend to harbour him then you shall bring upon yourself and your men all the might of the Sachem military. No matter how skilled you may be, a mercenary band cannot hope to stand against an entire nation. My men and I prepared to die for our beliefs. Are your men prepared to die for yours?"
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:24 am

Arden burst out in something that only distantly resembled a laugh. But his smile died quickly.

"I have one belief in my world. That is never to abandon a friend. I have lived my life so far following this, and I will not change now. I don't care what you think you know of this wizard. But he risked his life to save an entire city. Furthermore, he risked his life to save me and my men. And that's enough for me to return the favor.

As for making myself the enemy of a nation..." He shook his head with a sarcastic smile. "Just add Sachem to the list. And I doubt you would like to go to war with Kuthersia, under who's protection we stand, over one man. If he was truly your friend, you would know that politics mean nothing when compared to friendship."

Just to unnerve the man he stuck the sword just a little into the man's throat, not enough to penetrate the skin, but only to cause him a short moment of pain.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Llew » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:14 am

Llew had also drawn his sword, but then he lowered it. Suddenly he knew, knew he did not belong here. He had helped them, but had never felt like he belong. He sheathed his sword slowly, it seemed to weigh a thousand pounds as it slid into the sheath and then quietly backed out of the circle of men. He would return to the woods where he belonged, but he knew it would never be the same. Wolf was dead.

A single tear rolled down his cheek, but it only strengthened his determination to leave as fast as he could. He walked towards the door, hoping against hope that he would not have to face Kiarra.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Loxley » Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:41 pm

Arden turned his head just slightly when he noticed Llew leave. He frowned, and said, with an uncharacteristically serious voice: "Remember. If your friends aren't worth fighting for, then there is nothing worth fighting for at all...."

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Ariel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:27 pm

Kiarra saw as Llew walked away. She followed behind. "You didn't think you could walk away without saying goodbye did you?" She didn't want it to be goodbye. She choked up as the words spilled forth. She had nowhere to go and no one to look after her. For once in her life she didn't want to be alone. Tears fell from all the sorrow she tried to hold inside but could not.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:36 pm

A vision of beauty and light appeared to the still feuding men. Her long golden hair flowed in ripples down her slender back as her white gown swept the ground. Gracefully she approached and lyrically she spoke. "It has ended. There will be no more wars from this day forth. The sacred kingdom of Merolder lives once more." She held their gaze with mystical eyes of blue enchanting all who lay eyes upon her.

"Remember this day and all who gave their precious lives but not in vain, for they shall live in our hearts and memories forever. The battle was long and arduous and much have you suffered for each other, the kindom and I. We walk from the deepest darkness that held us bound by evil into the light of love and peace. It is because of all you that we have won the crown. Not one man only, but each and every soul that has marched this way in battle and your reward is victory.

Never before have I seen such courage and skill. Never before have I seen such sacrifice. Go now back into the world knowing it is safe because of you. For all you have done, for all that you are and will be, I honour you and bless you. She smiled warmly gazing at the blood stained and grimy warriors, her heros. Slowly she turned and jumped onto the unicorn's back, it's spiral horn glinting in the morning sun as they galloped away.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Ariel » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:40 pm

Kiarra watched in awe as the Goddess rode away and then she noticed something running their way. It was Llew's black wolf and he was alive. And running beside it was another. It had found a mate it seemed and Kiarra cried even more.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:42 pm

"This is helping no one." Lelouch said, brushing the blade away from his throat with a slow, deliberate wave of the back of his hand.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Llew » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:44 pm

Llew would have kept going even after Kiarra spoke to him, but the presence of the Goddess arrested him. Her words cut him to the very soul and he wept, sinking to his knees in silent despair.

But out of the depths of darkness a light came, bounding towards him the wolf came. At first he thought it was a vision, but when a wet noes was thrust into his hands he looked up incredulously. He was licked enthusiastically, but then he saw the wolf's companion and a sad smile broke over his face. "You have found your mate at last, my friend. Good luck to you."

"What, have you not found yours? The female waits for, why do you not go to her?"

"I...can't."

There was puzzlement in the wolfs thought when he asked, "why not?"

"I can not go back now."

"Nonsense. You can always go back."

He looked up, a faint hope showing in his eyes, "But, she...would not have me now."

"Foolishness. She needs you right now, go."

As he stood he heard her crying, and knew he had indeed been a fool. He went to her and put his arms around her, whispering that he would never leave her again.
Last edited by Llew on Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories