speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Meroldor Reborn

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Mr_D » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:12 am

Sol nodded.

"All of you, get going. I'll keep him occupied while you escape and catch up with you later." He said, the facade of confidence never once slipping. "Aiyu, go with Kiarra." He said sternly.

"But.." The small sprite began to utter her protest before Sol cut her off.

"A tactical retreat is required. As a knight I am expendable, it is my duty to protect my liege."He said, gripping the hilts of the twin elven sabers and drawing them, the bright silver blades flashing in the light of the moon that shone through the windows.

Looking over his shoulder, Sol spoke to Arden.

"I'll buy you some time, but you don't mind if I finish him off, right?" He said, a confident smile spreading across his lips as the arch of the gateway crumbled behind him, sealing him alone in the room with the monster.

"Arrogant fool." The smooth, chilling voice echoed in the great hall as Altair stepped forward, the great beast Amon stood mute at his side, it's breaths rumbling as trails of vapour dissipated from it's mouth in the cold air of the night. "Leaving a crippled mage to deal with us. Do you really think you can stop us?" With a flick of his wrist Altair set the edges of the room ablaze. The great tapestries on the wall caught alight, filling the room with a bright orange glow.

"It's worth a try." Sol retained his confidence even in the face of certain death. Turning side on he raised the right sword infront of his face, the curved tip pointing straight at Amon, allowing the tip of the left blade to rest on the floor beside him.

"Amon. Kill him quickly. We've still got to deal with the others." He gestured towards Sol. With that Amon stepped forward.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:50 pm

Waving Rukie off Andreas stood up as his wound began to heal. Before he knew it Kai Tin and Carpathian stood watch over him. Retrieving his sabor from the dead fallen angel and Ginlin's axe he surveyed the area for any of his gaurd that might have survived. Before the first tear was shed the room shook violently nearly taking him from his feet. "Kid Carpathian retreat."

"Yes sir."

"Yes sir."

The trio made for the door with the elves. Getting out Andreas turned to see Sol facing a new threat. "What the hell?"

"That would be Amon young captain. Do not worry I will slay him."

"No Carpathian let Sol take him."

(Yeah let the mage die by someone elses hand. Less trouble that way.) "Be quite up there." Kai Retorted. "Sir are you sure?"

A little confused Andreas nodded. "I am sure I have faith in the dark mage." Andreas turned and started running down the hall from the the collapsing keep. "Besides these elves made need our help."

"Sir the dark one stayed."

"Then leave him."

"Hurry up commander. You get the young hero over here and I will carry him the rest of the way out." Carpathian had both swords sheathed and waited firmly for a reply.
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Loxley » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:47 pm

Arden looked to Carpathian with grateful eyes, and a warmth in them that he rarely showed. But firmly, he shook his head. Even exhausted, he did not relent the body of the young soldier. "Thank you for your offer, my friend. It means a lot to me. But he was my soldier...no...my brother...", he corrected himself. Again the pain struck in his heart. "I failed him as a captain. The least I can do for him now, and for his sister who still risks her life for me in this very moment, is to carry him out of here myself."

And so he shifted the weight of the dead elf once more, and pressed on, while the keep was falling apart around them. But the physical weight of the soldier on his shoulders was not the heaviest burden to bear to Arden. The fact remained, that he had failed one of his men...one of his brothers.

The way to the courtyard seemed so far away...
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Llew » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:43 pm

Llew silently fought his own battle, and in the end it was only because of Kiarra that he did not stay behind to face Sol's fate with him. Bowing his head he made a silent oath of vengeance; he could do more harm living then dead.
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Loxley » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:28 am

Arden finally stumbled out into the daylight of the courtyard, where the remaining enemy forces were being destroyed. As soon as the rays of the sun hit him, his last strength left his body, and he dropped the dead soldier, and fell to the ground, exhausted, without concern for the surrounding world.

When he came to it later, he found himself lying on his back, and with a black-haired elven female looking down at him from above. His eyes had trouble focusing, but as he closed them and opened them again, Rukie appeared before him, and next to her, Sinaht, and his own brother Greyhawk, with Elkhazel on his right shoulder. All three had their arms crossed, but as he came to it, Sinaht offered him an arm and pulled him on his feet.

Rukie slapped him across the face, tears lining her fair features. "You fool...", she whispered, her voice distorted with sorrow and shock. "I've lost my brother today. And your foolish bravery almost costed me..." Her voice trailed away. Arden rubbed his hot cheek with an ashamed expression on his face.

"Sorry.", he said. "I didn't mean to worry you." Their eyes met, and some truths hidden from eachother were revealed to them. Nobody broke the silence for a long while.

"Captain...", Sinaht finally said, interrupting their moment. "The enemy forces have began to flee out of the city, heading north. With your permission I want to gather the men and go after them, and exterminate them once and for all."

Arden looked around, and saw death, wounded soldiers and civilians, chaos, burning houses...a ruined city. He shook his head. "No. We are more needed here. Somewhere in the remains of that keep, one of our friends is fighting for his life. And others are around, balancing between life and death. Let the enemies run. We will go after them and route them out once and for all, but not now."

He turned and began to look for survivors among the Heroes of Merolder.

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:09 am

Breaking into a sprint Amon crossed the huge hall in mighty strides, the jagged scimitar raised above his head. Sol stood still, waiting for the chance to counter attack. As the oversized blade whistled through the air he stepped to the side, deftly flicking out the blade of his sword. The steel sparking brightly as it ran along amon's impenetrable hide as the great beast overshot his mark.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:21 am

Arden pulled aside a burnt roof beam from the ruins of a small house, and managed to free an opening in the half-collapsed wall, letting him step into the house belonging to Merolder's former blacksmith. The smitty itself was fully functional, but there was no sign of anybody alive, or dead. He only threw a single casual look around before he stepped out again, and shrugged to the other mercenaries.

"So many dead.", he muttered. "Merolder will have to fight to rise from this fall, I'm afraid." He looked then to the remains of the keep, with a distant look in his eyes, knowing that still, Sol was alone in there fighting against an enemy five times his own size. He shook the thought away suddenly, for the fifth time in a very short time, and said:

"Keep searching for survivors! And have the men quench those fires!", he added, pointing at row after row of burning houses, having been torched when the enemies retreated away from the city.

The efforts of the mercenary band went slowly, but they did much good. It required a great deal of self-discipline for the men to help the civilians while they knew the battle still raged within the keep, and the remaining enemies were fleeing towards safety. Still, they kept working, extinguishing the fires that burnt in the city, aiding those that had been wounded in the battle, and digging graves for the fallen.

The corpses of their enemies were piled, and torched, with no second thought. Wounded enemies were executed without mercy, by the elven mercenaries, with the death of one of their brothers still fresh in mind.

And among the people that worked hard to clean the battlefield, Arden and his lieutenants worked just as hard, covered in coagulated blood and with wounds of their own, to take care of the wounded before it was too late, and to dig graves for the fallen soldiers that had fought in the battle.

When the sun began to fade, they were exhausted, but relentlessly kept working, still. More than once, however, Arden found himself stopping his work in piling enemy carcasses, or digging graves, or putting bandages on wounded men, to look towards the keep, asking himself what was going on in there, asking himself if the wizard was alive. Many of his men had already begun to try and force an opening in the ruins of the keep, but the work went slowly, and took great effort.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:58 am

Coming to a stop, Amon whipped the blade to the side, following Sol's movement. Ducking swiftly under the attack, Sol rose up, drawing the length of his swords across the golem's stomach one after the other.

Amon turned to face him, its scimitar scoring a deep gouge through the white marble of the floor as it swung at Sol's legs. Leaping into the air Sol crossed his arms, unleashing a scissor-like stroke with his blades aimed at Amon's neck. The attack glanced off harmlessly and Sol pressed off with a kick to the giant's chest just as its weapon cleaved the air where he had been. A large red gash appeared on Sol's chest as the very tip of the sword carved open his flesh. He couldn't afford any more near misses like that.

The instant he landed Amon stepped forward, unleashing a volley of powerful strikes. The air warped with a roar as Amon's scimitar carved at Sol, the mage barely managing to dodge them. Amon struck out with a boulder like fist, catching Sol in the midriff and shattering one of his ribs. As Sol reeled from the strike Amon brought its sword down with all its might.

Crossing his blades infront of him, Sol took the brunt of the impact head on, knocking him across the room into the wall. Sol dropped to his knees as the wall cracked behind him. Amon advanced upon the fallen man with thundering steps as Sol struggled to his feet.

"I guess I have no choice..." Sol said with a grim and cynical laugh. His eyes flashed with determination. He raised his left hand which crackled with dark power, aiming at Amon, who broke into a sprint once more, sword raised aloft to deliver the final blow. As the two met, a bolt of white light launched from Sol's hand, impacting upon Amon's body with a tremendous explosion. For the first time Amon seemed to feel pain, reeling backwards and falling to it's knees.

"Impossible." Altair growled. "Amon! Get up and kill him!" He bellowed, his composure dropping for the first time.

'Who the hell is he? How could he bring Amon to his knees with one hit?' Altair's mind raced. His enemy was no normal mage.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:40 am

Carpathian merely shrugged then turned on heel and ran out.

Kai Tin kneeled before Aireya' s body like he had for the whole night. The tears he fought to keep locked fell freely to the ground. He had not moved her from the roof top he had lay her on previously.

"I told you she was dead kid." "Don't you say anything useful." "I am not here to be useful, now am I. I am the one who tought you how to fight." "I knew how to fight thankyou very much. "Suit yourself kid, but you know who we need to get next. Pause for effect, The heros of Mor-" " I killed her no one else. I shall live with that for eternity or forever how long it takes me." Wiping the tears from his eyes Kai Tin stood up on stiff knees lifting the frail half elf with him. Stepping off the roof carelessly Kai Tin made his way over the sea of bodies to join the live ones who were assigned the job of gravedigging.

Carpathian forced another wooden beam from the stairway and looked up. It was amazing the catapault boulder had not taken out the stairway. Motioning to one of Andreas's men who accompanied him he pulled free his sword and silently crept up the stairs. A hallway stood at the top with the last quarter of it open to the foul stench of the city's death. All the doors save one was knocked in and splintered. With a confused look at the doors sign that said "Timeout" Carpathian motion for th soldier to help him. After breaking the lock on the door Carpathian and the soldier opened the door and let the light shine through into the very plain room. One bed sat in the one corner with a burnt out candle on a night stand and three children coward in the corner. "Thank the gods." With a small smile to the young soldier Carpathian motioned for the kids and left the young elf to his dutiy.

Andreas sat on a chair as he listened to Jaris, his new second, debrief him on his troops position. Andreas was not happy. With a huff he communicated. "Enough I know we are not good! Now join your comrades in the reclaimation." Pulling his coat off and tehn his shirt revealing a woundless stomach he looked surprised at his gawking and slightly hurt second. "Did I stutter? Get a damn shovel, axe, pick, water barrel, bandages I don't give a damn just go and make your sorry ass helpful."

Snapping to attention Jaris swallowed his emotions and soluted. "YES SIR!" Turning Jaris started to look for himself a place to help. Andreas turned to the collapsed keep. His soldiers and allies where in their somewhere and he was going to save them. Finding a place among Arden's men together they rolled a mighty stone pillar out of the way.
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Loxley » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:51 pm

Elkhazel swooped down, and landed right in front of Arden's feet, stopping the mercenary captain dead in his own tracks. Arden looked surprised, but crouched in front of the bird, and asked: "Oye, what do you think you're doing? Show your captain some respect, will you? If you weren't a damn bird, I'd give you a beating to teach you a lesson in manners..." Elkhazel ignored his complaint, and said:

"I just received a letter via pigeon, from Kuthersia. It's from Riza. I think you should read it, captain." Arden found the small white scroll in his claws, and took it, carefully unrolling the parchment. As he read it, his face furrowed thoughtfully, then he looked up to Elkhazel, and asked: "How long does it take for the men to be ready to leave?" Elkhazel laid his head on the side, in what would have been a shrug had the bird had any shoulders to actually shrug with.

"Marching an army into Kiruhit isn't going to help the situation, captain.", he pointed out. Arden nodded.
"You're right, of course. I guess there's not much choice then... Give me an hour to prepare, and put Sinaht up to speed on the matter. I will take my brother with me, and we will go to Martan and resolve the matter as...painlessly as possible." The Storm-Rook nodded, and took off into the air again, while Arden looked around for his brother.

Greyhawk sat by a fallen pillar outside the ruins of the keep, where people worked hard to free their allies from the stone-prison. When Arden approached, he looked up, as if he had been expecting the man, and laid his head on the side: "You saved me earlier today, but it seems an eternity since it happened. And I don't even know why you did it, who you are... All I know is that you call me brother, and carry my own face."

"Don't worry about that, brother...", Arden said as he sat down next to the assassin. "I'll have plenty of time to explain it to you in the forseeable future. In short, you are my new lieutenant." He took a deep breath, and continued: "Eh...there are some issues that I have to resolve in Kiruhit concerning one of our agents. He's been captured by some people that really don't like me and my men. I want you to go with me - you will need to learn how to deal with this kind of matters if you're going to be of use to me as my new spy master."

"Kiruhit?", Greyhawk repeated in surprise. "Now?" Arden looked up into the sky, and took a deep breath.
"It's getting dark.", he said. "No need to go tonight. We leave in the morning. Most of the men will stay behind, I will take only a small bodyguard with me. The rest of them will return to our home when Merolder is once again standing." He rose, and patted his brother on the shoulder. "Get some sleep for now, brother. We'll talk more later."

And so the mercenary captain headed for the keep to help out in the efforts there, without further ado, leaving Greyhawk deep in thought, and with the unpleasant mission of saying good-bye to his new-found friends, the unchallanged Heroes of Merolder. The people that had fought by his side for so many weeks, and who had saved him from himself, and what he had become.
Heroes, indeed..., he thought to himself with a sigh.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Mr_D » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:54 am

Determined to make the most of his advantage, Sol dived at Amon, striking out with his twin swords with all his strength, pushing his body to it‘s limits. The strikes drew thin cuts through the monster's hide and it let out a roar of pain. With long strides he climbed atop the kneeling giant’s knees, his body filled with power he began to pummel Amon‘s head with his fists. With a final titanic punch he felled the beast, the sheer force of the blow striking Amon onto its back. The floor shattered beneath the power of the attack as he released all his energy, fragments of dust and marble spewing up in a cloud. He could feel himself weakening as his life drained from him, the stress on his body mounting as he sacrificed his soul for more power.

Staggering backwards Sol took deep, agonising breaths. He fought to stand, his legs shook with effort and he steadied himself on his swords. Blood and sweat mingled on his brow as he looked at the smoking crater in the floor. The growling roar made Sol’s heart sink. The beast still lived.

“You just won’t die, will you?” Sol grunted defiantly, raising his weapons to do battle once more. A grim smile crossed his face as he resigned himself to his fate.

The colossal scimitar clashed against his crossed swords once again, the blades of the elven swords shattering with the force and flinging him across the room. Staggering forward, Sol could only watch as Amon brought his boulder like fists down on him, crushing him into the floor. He had given his best and it wasn’t enough, now he didn’t have enough strength to stand. This was the end. Amon towered above him, awaiting his master’s command. The last embers of the blaze flickered from existence.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:09 am

Arden watched the shadow of the keep against the dark-blue night sky, in silence. His thoughts were scattered. Inside, a man still fought for his life, while they were attempting to force an opening in the crumbled keep. And hundreds of miles away, one of his agents were in trouble, forcing him to leave at the break of dawn. The thought of leaving before he was aware of the fate that had met the man who bought him time enough to get out, was a hard one to bear. He ran a hand through his white mane, and sighed.

"You okay?" Arden looked up at Elkhazel and shrugged.
"I don't like having to leave before a battle has been won. But I don't like abandoning one of our agents to execution, either." He dismissed the notion, and looked away. Not far away, a grave had been dug for their fallen brother. Rukie sat by the grave, singing an elven burial hymn in a bright, sad tone, for her dead brother. Arden could not stand to watch it, just bearing the song itself was hard enough for him.

"I wonder how he's doing in there.", he muttered, looking back to the keep, and away from Rukie. Elkhazel took his place on Arden's shoulder, and followed his piercing gaze to the crumbled keep.
"The men heard some rumbling sounds from inside. Whatever is going on in there, he still seems to be alive and fighting..."
"That's good.", Arden said. "I would hate to think he gave up his own life for mine." He looked down at the bag in front of him, containing some of the possessions he had brought with him on their journey to Merolder. Tightening the bacpkack, he rose, and said: "I leave with my brother at dawn... Until then, I'll be by the keep."
Arden then left the spot, and returned to help the men working by the keep.

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories