speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Scarlet Drakes

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Xyster » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:14 pm

Lothorian stopped as the guards around him did so. He couldn't see what was happening, but something had halted the entire band of refugees.

Drakes were moving this way and that on some sort of errands. They moved so fleet of foot that Lothorian barely got a glimpse of their faces, but it was obvious that something was happening.

The elders made their way to the front to confront the one that stood in their way. Slowly the eldest and strangest, the one with dragon eyes moved forwards and took his position, "Greetings."
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:54 am

The demon in oriental armour leaned forwards on the mighty sword that he was using for nothing more than a walking stick. He eyed the Grand Elder for a moment, the row of horns on his head glowing a faint shade of orange.

After a moment he let out a hardy chuckle, "You are no more demons than I am a rabbit." His eyes searched the travelers that he could see, "However, you seem to be moving in force and from something as well as towards. Where is it that you travel?"

The Grand Elder stared at the demon. This creature was very powerful, and so far had posed no threat. For all the drakes knew, they were passing through and had disturbed his territory. It would not do to start something that could escalate and injure the refugees, "We travel the wake of the phoenix, nothing more."

"The wake of the phoenix?" The demon peered up at the sky, seeing no bird of fire or trail of it even. He shrugged, "And from where?"

"Where we are from is no more. You may search behind us if you wish to find it." Though he knew that such cryptic answers were only bound to frustrate this demon, it was better if the thing turned and searched behind them rather than stand in their way.

"Interesting." Matu shouldered the mighty sword and stepped to the side, allowing the humans to move past. It seemed that something deeper than he had considered was brewing in this world.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:16 pm

"I did not expect to find you here of all places." The voice came from behind Matu. It rang clear as a church bell through the still morning air.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:19 pm

Matu turned, hand lazily falling to his butcher-like sword. He waited for the speaker to show himself, sensing an immense evil and darkness that would have rocked lesser demons to their knees.

The people continued moving, only glancing at Matu nervously.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:24 pm

"Come. There is no need for that." Vergil gestured towards Matu's hand, hovering over his weapon.

"I assume you know why I am here. And I fear I already have some idea of the answer you shall give. Nevertheless I shall ask you."
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:28 pm

"Oh really? I seem to have been too preoccupied to notice such simple things recently. Would you care to enlighten me as to your purpose?" He kept his hand lazily on his sword, more as if he were lounging than preparing to fight.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:35 pm

"The time has come for us to take what belongs to us." Vergil said with an enigmatic smile. "We shall have a kingdom worthy of calling our own. If you join us you and those you hold dear shall be granted rewards beyond your wildest imaginations. And what's more... we shall be free." Vergil said emphatically.

"Well? what say you?"
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:38 pm

"Free? Do you mock me? I already rule this place...as much as I wish too. I have no desire for more to keep track of. I've always had a very simple mind, at least that is what my father told me before my lover chopped his head from his shoulders with his blade." Matu grinned at the thought.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:42 pm

"Then cast it to the dogs for all I care. Keep what you desire do with the rest what you will." Vergil said with a sweeping gesture.

"You stand at the dawn of a new age. Join us or be swept away by the tides of history. Is there nothing you desire?" He asked.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:46 pm

Matu made a strange face. He released his sword, "I'm afraid that what I desire will not and cannot be mine."
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Mr_D » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:48 pm

"And what is that?" Vergil asked.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Xyster » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:58 pm

Matu smiled in a friendly manner, as if he were playing a game with an old friend, "Would you care to humor me with a guess, since you seem to be an intellegent man?"
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

PreviousNext

Return to Lycoria: The Stories