speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Martian Successor Nadesico

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Martian Successor Nadesico

Postby Anime Trekker » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:03 pm

This is another anime that I love. Martian Successor Nadesico while still technically a sci-fi/giant robot show, it still manages to parody everything in pop culture. I loved episode 19 where they parodied the Miss America contest. After the contest was over, everyone was called to battlestations. It was real funny watching the women pilots pilot their Aestivalis's in nothing but their undies and swimsuits.

Akito: "Maybe you should pilot in your underwear more often."

Ryoko: *punches Akito's Aestivalis* "WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!!!"

There was even a scene in one of the other episodes where they parodied Star Trek.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ranryu » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:17 pm

This is one of the many I have yet to get a chance to watch. How about a more elaborate description.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Anime Trekker » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Ranryu wrote:This is one of the many I have yet to get a chance to watch. How about a more elaborate description.

It's Basically this:

Gundam Wing on LSD + Evangelion on LSD + Macross/Robotech on LSD

In the year 2031, mankind is exploring space and has colonized Mars. Suddenly a race known as the Jovians decides to invade. The United Earth Space Forces fleets were severely crippled. This forces Nergal Heavy Industries, a civilian contractor, to commission their own Space battleship, the Nadesico. Now enter Akito Tenkawa, a cook who doesn't like fighting, is forced into service as a robot pilot/cook aboard the Nadesico. On their journey to Mars, You'll find out that the ship is full of nutbars, ditzes, and misfits. The Jovians won't stand a chance against these people!!

For Character Descriptions:

Akito Tenkawa Image-
Ships cook who becomes the backup pilot. He was born on Mars and liked the anime series Gekiganger 3. When the Mars colony was destroyed, he moved to Earth, and eventually to the Nadesico. He is an old friend of the ships captain, Yurika Misumaru

Yurika Misumaru Image- Captain of the battleship Nadesico. While she may be a brilliant tactician, she's completely clueless when it comes to relationships. She is in love with Akito.

Jun Aoi Image- The first officer of the Nadesico. Poor Jun. Not only is he in love with Yurika, but he has to watch as she loses her heart to someone else. Also he has to wear a really dorky looking uniform

Ruri Image- Basically what Spock (from Star Trek)
would be like if he came prepackaged in a teenage girl's body. Ruri has an odd bond to the ship's computer. In Martian Successor Nadesico: The Motion Picture, she moves up to the rank of Captain of the Nadesico-B and Nadesico-C.

Megumi Reinhard Image- Nadesico's communications officer, who also happens to be a voice actress and a trained nurse. When She and Akito had a conversation about death, they fell in love instantly. Megumi is a parody of a very famous Japanese voice actress named Megumi Hayashibara (Rei in Neon Genesis Evangelion)
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:40 pm

Haruka Minato Image- Helmswoman of the Nadesico. She was a secretary to the president of a major corporation before she signed on to the Nadesico

Gai Daigoji Image- Real name is is Jiro Yamada. He was supposed to be the main Aestivalis pilot until he broke his leg and Akito took over. Gai and Akito became fast friends after they discovered that they both like Gekiganger 3. Gai was killed at the end of Episode 3.

Ryoko Subaru (the green haired one), Izumi Maki (the dark haired one), and Hikaru Amano (the red haired one) ImageImageImage- The Three main Aestivalis Pilots, who arrive on the Nadesico in episode 4. Ryoko is a tomboy, and is the leader of the group. Izumi is the most bizarre member of the Nadesico crew, making puns and private jokes that only she understands. Hikaru is a full fledged otaku, and a very capable pilot

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:02 pm

Seiya Uribatake Image- The chief engineer of the Nadesico. While he is lecherous towards women, he loves engineering more. In fact he reminds me of Scotty (from Star Trek)

Nagare Akatsuki Image- He is an Aestivalis who came in episode 8. Even though he is a capable pilot, he is actually the chairman of Nergal, and has something sinister planned.

Erina Kinjo Won Image- The Chairman's secretary, and co-helmswoman of the Nadesico beginning in episode 8. She really wants to take over Nergal.

Here's what the Nadesico looks like:

Here's a pic of one of the Aestivalis's that was used in the series: Image

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dragonfleet » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:49 pm

I love that show though it's been a few years since i saw it. I especially like when it started getting serious. ^^ Funny enough the whole Mars vs Earth vs Jupiter war resembles some of the things in one of my current scifi projects.
Dragonfleet
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Return to Anime