speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Full Metal Panic!

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Full Metal Panic!

Postby Baaljagg » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:35 pm

and no, that is no typo for FullMetal Alchemist.

I have two favourite anime's at the moment. One, Bleach, still in progress and having a filler-season. Second, Full Metal Panic!

FMP exists of three different seasons. The first is the general Full Metal Panic! season, 26 eps or something like it. the second is Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu!, a side show which can just be watched casually, if you've got nothing to do. but trust me, once you start, take a day off to stay behind your computer, and be aware of belly-aches from laughing. about 13 episodes, some consisting of 2 short eps.
third, Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid. this is where the story continues. about 13 eps.

first about FMP!. i saw the first two because a certain someone just started downloading thing randomly. I was really expecting something with mecha's and blood and bile everywhere, something like Elfen Lied. If they had switched titles, it would've made more sense. But FMP is a very entertainable anime, the graphics are just amazing, the characters are really characters. I won't give too much away, but the relationship between Chidori and Sousuke... crap it had me grinding my teeth for days :P
the story: Sagara Sousuke is a 17-year-old military man, controlling the so called Arbalest mecha. He is with Mithril, a special secret agency to protect man-kind, bluhbluh. Mithril is on a mission to protect the Whispered: children with knowledge about things they should not know. One of these Whispered is Kaname Chidori, high-school student, class representative, feisty little wench. Sousuke is sent to her school to protect her at all costs, and Sousuke takes it a little too serious. On top of that, there have been reports of another mecha, which has a Lambda Driver, apparently making the mecha invinsible. Surprise, surprise, guess who also has a Lambda Driver in his mecha... Only Sousuke doesn't know how to use it, and the Evil Mecha is turning against Mithril.... despite it being a great high-school comedy, it's got some cool fighting scenes, but I have to say I was more impressed with TSR, so, just watch this one for TSR :P

The Second Raid, where FMP left off. Still Sousuke, still Chidori, and still the same mission as before: protect Chidori at all costs. However, they've had a change of enemy and Mithril itself has a small reorganization.
I absolutely freaked at one episode, I got scared, I froze in my chair with fear for Chidori. They used only 13 eps to finisch this season, which is just the right amount of episodes they needed. There's nothing that doesn't belong in it, and they didn't leave anything out either. This is really the season that get's you so caught up in Sousukes and Chidori's affairs, that it became impossible for me, to think of this as my favourite anime. I am so immensely glad with the ending. oh yeah, and the blood and bile is present in this one :P on top of that, let me tell you about the third one.

Fumoffu. crap, I've never laughed this much and hard with a serie in my life! (apart maybe from Bleach, but Fumoffu with 13 eps, defenitely had the most laughs) My theorie is that they had far too many sketches for Chidori and Sousuke, and they just had to do something with it. therefor, it is not essential to watch if you want to see FMP - TSR in that order, and it doesn't really matter when you watch it, because it has absolutely nothing to do with the main theme. This is really the laugh and cry season. The one main thing with Fumoffu, is that there is a character, Bonta-kun, which appears in several episodes and is cause for the worst kind of funny jokes. Moreover, Sousuke's "qualities" are blown up, and, well.... you really won't know what I'm talking about unless you see it :P My favourite episodes are the final one, with the man-eating virus, when Tsubaki-kun saves Chidori, and then has to battle Sousuke to keep his dojo, and the one where Sousuke takes "girl-hunting" (his version of flirting) just a little too literally... but in truth, all the eps are just to laugh your butt off. and just to say how good TSR was: without the humour of Fumoffu, but with it's tention and intrigue.... they are equal to each other, very maybe TSR just a little better, because it actually has a storyline :P

I enjoyed this anime immensely, if you haven't seen it I highly recommend it, if you have seen it: what do you think?

crap this is one piece of text :P
"...and I am not yet done." --Itkovian
"You're disgusting." He paused. "Say some more disgusting things." --Imid Factallo
Baaljagg
New User
New User

Postby SpookyKatie » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:47 pm

OOO I also like FMP its a great anime I love how funny it can be!I have a poster of it to!

Its is my 4th fav anime next to Ronin Warriors, Cowboy Bebop, and best of all Trigun!
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!
SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Baaljagg » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:26 am

I have to admit, I'm watching FMP for the second time, this time I dared to see a little bit in English....if i don't put any text here, the "English" is beeped... ? I think the voices suck :? they're not as bad as other anime's I'll admit, but next to the Japanses ones, the voices just have no feeling in them. The Japanese version has so much passion in the voices. when Chidori gets mad... chidori gets mad :D the japanese voice honestly shouts and screams and I wouldn't be surprised if she dealt out punches IRL.
also, the names are a bit worn out in English. exaggerated, they sound like [chih-dow-ry] and [sah-su-keh]. I'm a linguist freak in these things :P I think the original intonations are a life-saver, just [chee-do-ree] and [soo-sou-ke]. I don't know if it's just coincidence (funny to be using that word after having seen the first 12 eps again :P), but the Japanese intonation of Kurz Weber is very similar to the (I assume) original German one. in english, it honestly beepes without this! its just webber.
I'm sorry, I had to complain :P however, whose voice has actually improved by a million, is that #*@($&&%)@!!!!! bimbo Tessa's. I hate her guts, and her voice the most of all!

oh, and I have to revise my fav episode order... #1 is defenitely the Hot Spring Chapter! :D that Kurz guy... :P
"You're disgusting." He paused. "Say some more disgusting things." --Imid Factallo
Baaljagg
New User
New User

Postby SpookyKatie » Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:43 pm

I agree with you on the voice overs!

Tessa's I hate her guts too, and her voice sucks to! See it fits her all together!<~~ Do you think it means something?
Iron Skirt Kate, SV's very own super villain.
Art is love, love is art **Up-Date**

And take that old dusty road over to my blog!
SpookyKatie
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Baaljagg » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:56 am

well, the only thing i can conclude, is that we don't like Tessa :P but really she is annoying... i can't believe chidori can still be so nice to her, the little bimbo trying to take over Sousuke... grrr.

i'm confused about one thing though... the "The Wind Blows at Home" episodes, there's Zaied in a red AS, en there's Gauron in the ponytail AS.
One, maybe two episodes later, Gauron is back... but not in the ponytail AS, but in a red one? Is that red one Zaied's? does that mean the ponytail AS is completely destroyed? I'm confused!!!!!
Baaljagg
New User
New User

Return to Anime