speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars

Postby Anime Trekker » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Here's an anime series quadrilogy that I feel is very underrated, and I wish G4 (formerly TechTV) would put this back on as part of their "Anime Unleashed". I especially liked the way Jinto and Lafiel became friends when they were forced to rely on each other in the "Crest of the Stars".

For those who don't know what I'm talking about:

"Crest of the Stars" is the first installment anime series based on a sci-fi novel series that is pretty famous in Japan. Jinto is a prince whose home planet was taken over by the Abh because his father handed it over in exchange for a place the empire. Now Jinto is being shipped off to get an Abh education. On his way to getting transported to his destination, he meets Lafiel, who happens to be the princess and heiress to the throne of the Abh empire. Quickly the two become friends, and are forced to rely upon each other when the Abh empire is plunged into war with the United Mankind.

"Banner of the Stars" is the second anime series installment. It's set three years after "Crest of the Stars". Lafiel is now captain of the assault ship Basroil, and Jinto joins her after he finishes military training to become a supply officer. Now the Basroil crew has been ordered to join a large Abh fleet to defend the Laptic Gate from a fleet that is 15 times the Abh fleet's size

"Banner of the Stars II" is set after the events of "Banner of the Stars". Lafiel is now territorial ambassador to the planet Lobnas II, which was a prison planet occupied by the United Mankind. Jinto and Lafiel discover that the prison has been divided into three sections on the planets only inhabited island. Women get the western section, men get the east, and the central has a mixture with the restriction of sterilization. The women want to emigrate from the planet because they fear the men there. When the women do emigrate, the men rebelled and overthrew the guards and captured Jinto. While this is occurring, an enemy fleet arrives, forcing Lafiel to abandon Jinto.

Banner of the Stars III:

From http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4899:

Plot Summary: Jinto and Lafiel were riding on a light-armed transport ship "Bokbrusue" and navigating at the planar space of the Hyde System. This was for Jinto to govern the Hyde System, which returned to Empirial rule after the Union retreated, officially as an Earl. However, the government of Martin, Jinto`s motherland, resisted obstinately against the Empirial rule. On the other side, "Daiichi Jyuurin Sentai" (the First Devastation Fleet), formed with the new ship type "Attack Vessel", travelled to the Hyde System for drilling practices, but...
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:44 am

In Banner of the Stars II, I love the end theme song, "Farewell to My Love."

Warning: On the Banner of the Stars II Anime Legends set, do not play thge second disc unless you have a DVD player that is brand new to about 1 1/2 years old. Reason is because of the regional encoding and it won't play on older DVD players (My living room DVD Player is 3 years old, and my bedroom DVD/VCR combo is 1 1/2 years old).
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby aldan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:07 am

Thank you for that overview of the followups to BotS. I own CotS and the first BotS, and I didn't even know that a new one had been released. I'm looking forward to when I'll have the cashola to purchase it... though that may be a long while to come.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:47 am

While there are battle sequences in all of the series, it's mostly for those who like their sci-fi to be brainy/metaphysical

Banner of the Stars III was a one episode OAV that was recently included in the Banner of the Stars II Anime Legends DVD set.

Banner of the Stars II was going to be included on G4's "Anime Unleashed" lineup, but "Anime Unleashed" was cancelled.
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Anime