speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

X, Chobits, Tokyo Babylon, and other CLAMP anime/manga

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

X, Chobits, Tokyo Babylon, and other CLAMP anime/manga

Postby Anime Trekker » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:35 pm

I personally love CLAMP's work, and I think they have come out with some of the greatest pieces of anime/manga ever. Their characters are so emotionally complex, and everything is so well drawn. Take Kamui from X (known as X/1999 in manga format). Initially he looked like a person with a very bad attitude, but very deep down inside he does have feelings for Kotori. After Kamui joins the Dragons of Heaven so he can save mankind, his friend (and twin star) Fuma kills Kotori (Kotori is Fuma's sister). The animation in the X anime is really beautiful. Another example of complex characters is Subaru and Seishiro from Tokyo Babylon and X. At the end of vol. 6 of Tokyo Babylon manga, Subaru privately admits his feelings for Seishiro, but Seishiro wants to settle the bet they made years earlier. The Tokyo Babylon manga ends with Seishiro killing Subaru's sister, Hokuto. Subaru and Seishiro eventually end up duking it out on each other in X (X/1999).

Chobits is CLAMP's funniest work to date. It's about a 18 year old named Hideki Motosuwa, who finds a "Persocom" in a Trash can. A Persocom are personal computers that are shaped like humans and animals. The thing is that the Persocom, whom Hideki named Chi, is not like other Persocoms. Could she possibly be one of the "Chobits" series.

Would also like to get these:

Angelic Layer (both DVD and Manga)
Wish (manga format is the only available format in the U.S. currently)
RG Veda (Manga and DVD format)
Magic Knights Rayearth (Manga and DVD format)
Clamp School series (Paranormal Investigators, Man of Many Faces, Detectives) (manga format only)
Clover (manga format only)
Cardcaptor Sakura (Manga and DVD format)
Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicle (Manga format only)
Cardcaptor Sakura: Master of the Clow
xxxHolic (Manga format only)
Legal Drug (Manga format only)

What I have now:

X (DVD. Adaptation of the X/1999 manga)- this is a more faithful retelling of the manga
X movie- This came out 5 years before the series.
X/1999
Tokyo Babylon (both the manga and the two part OVA (Original Video Animation))
Chobits (both the manga and the series)
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Tue Apr 26, 2005 3:41 pm

Here are the pictures of the Dragons of Heaven and the Dragons of Earth from X.

Dragons of Heaven:

Dragons of Earth
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 3:26 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura was pretty cool. I haven't seen any of the others, although I've heard of them.

So, what exactly is a Chobbit, anyway?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anime Trekker » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:19 pm

Magus wrote:So, what exactly is a Chobbit, anyway?

Chobits are a specially designed Persocoms that are so sophisticated that they are AI's (Artificial Intelligence). Only 2 were made: Chi and her elder sister Freya (by the time the series started Freya was deactivated because of malfunction)

I highly recommend X anime and X/1999 manga (the manga will answer any questions you have on the X anime) (the reason why the X manga was changed to X/1999 in the United States was to avoid confusion with a Dark Horse comic book series of the same name)

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:47 pm

So what's "X" about?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anime Trekker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:36 pm

Magus wrote:So what's "X" about?

Even though I have seen all the episodes, I will quote from http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=464 so that you can decide for yourself:

Age rating: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)
Genres: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy, Shoujo, Supernatural

Plot Summary: It's the year of destiny and 15 year old Kamui Shiro, a powerful psychic, has returned to Toyko after a 6 year absence. He wants to be with his childhood friends, Fuma (his best friend) and Kotori, Fuma's little sister (and Kamui's possible girlfriend). He wants to protect them from all dangers, but destiny and fate are haunting Kamui and pulling in himself and his beloved childhood friends. It is his destiny to decide the fate of the world, no matter if he wants the role or not. Now it is a matter of whether he will join the side of the Seven Seals and become the Dragon of Heaven to save mankind, or join the Seven Angels and become the Dragon of Earth to destroy all civilization so the earth can heal itself from man's destruction.

Here is a spoiler:

Kamui does join the Dragons of Heaven. As a result, his twin star Fuma becomes the leader of the Dragons of Earth. As I said earlier, after Kamui decides to become a Dragon of Heaven, Fuma kills Kotori

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:16 pm

For Character Descriptions for X:

Hinoto: She's the dreamseer (person who can see the future in their dreams) princess who predicts that Kamui will save mankind.

Kanoe: She is Hinoto's younger sister. Kanoe is not a true dreamseer, as she can only steal glimpses of her sister's dreams. As a result, Kanoe has predicted a different future.

Kotori Monou: Fuma's younger sister who was very deeply in love with Kamui. Before she died at the hands of her brother, her dreamseeing powers were awakening.
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:38 pm

Dragons of Heaven (from X)

Kamui: He's the young man who will determine the fate of Earth and mankind.

Sorata Arisaguwa: The young esoteric monk from the Mt. Koya shrine. He uses thunder and lightning attacks.

Arashi Kishu: Priestess from the Ise Shrine. She can summon a sword out of her own body to fight enemies.

Yuzuriha Nekoi: Priestess from the Mitsumine Shrine. She is always accompanied by her spirit dog, Inuki.

Subaru Sumeragi: A very powerful "Onmyoji" (Spiritual Master). He was the main character form another CLAMP series "Tokyo Babylon"
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:09 pm

Karen Kasumi: Dragon of Heaven that works at a brothel. Her ability is that she can control fire.

Seiichiro Aoki: Dragon of Heaven who works at a newspaper/manga publishing company. His ability is to control wind.

Dragons of Earth:

Fuma Monou: Kamui's best friend and "Twin Star". When Kamui became a Dragon of Heaven, Fuma was chosen to "fill the void" and became the leader of the Dragons of Earth.

Satsuki Yatouji: Dragon of Earth who controls the very powerful supercomputer known as "The Beast"

Nataku: A genetically engineered human who is one of the Dragons of Earth. His/her (Nataku has no gender or a soul) weapon of choice is a ribbon-like cloth (In asian mythology, Martial Arts masters often used cloth as deadly weapons)
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:30 pm

Kakyo: Dragon of Earth who is in a hospital because he's an invalid. Kakyo is also a true dreamseer.

Kusanagi Shiyuu: Dragon of Earth who is a member of the Japanese military. He was Yuzuriha's boyfriend until he joined the Dragons of Earth

Seishiro Sakurazuka: Also known as the Sakurazukamori, he is a Dragon of Earth who uses his powers for assassination. Seishiro is also another main character from "Tokyo Babylon"

Yuuto Kigai: Dragon Of Earth whose power is to control water. He is currently sleeping with Kanoe and is in love with Satsuki.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:57 pm

Wow. Thanks for the detailed descriptions. I appreciate it. I'll have to see the show, if fate would be so kind as to presenting the opportunity to me.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anime Trekker » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:34 pm

Warning:

Do not get X the movie, even though it was made 5 years before the series, because:

-They tried to cram everything into one movie
-The movie had little character development. Everyone introduced themselves then went off to fight, and everyone except Kamui dies.
-Not as smoothly animated as the series. Everything was at a breakneck pace. The series (as well as the manga) went at a more narrative flow.
-Unless you have read the manga or have watched the series, you'll be confused by what's going on.

I also recommend these:

Tokyo Babylon OAV (Original Animated Video)- Even though it doesn't show how the Suburu/Seishiro rivalry came to be, this prequel to X is worth watching. This acts more like an "in-between" as to what happened in between a couple of volumes of the manga

Tokyo Babylon manga (Japanese Graphic novels)- The manga version tells you how the Suburu/Seishiro rivalry came to be.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Next

Return to Anime