speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Why is there no CITY HUNTER thread?

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Why is there no CITY HUNTER thread?

Postby Loxley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:17 pm

Heh, well, mostly because I'm so bored today, I figured I'd start the thread I've most missed here in the anime forum. City Hunter - aka Ryo Saeba. Anybody remember this jewel of the 80's anime? I just thought there should be a discussion about this one beauty.

Personally, I think it's the greatest anime franchise ever! Ryo is the most hilarious (and yet impressive) character I have ever seen, especially since he can switch from a dead-serious philosopher to a pervert in a second. (Both the English and the Japanese voice actors for him deserve exceptional credit, by the way).

But I wasn't very happy with the ending in "the Dath of Evil Ryo Saeba"... It could have been made better.

And I won't even begin to TALK about "Angel Heart"... :evil: It was an act of demonic cruelty to kill off Kaori Makimura, and I don't think I am ever going to even look at that one.

Any thoughts, anyone? Or am I the only one in this forum that loves City Hunter? :D

(By the way, I just remembered, I think he's the only anime character that I have seen who can actually "jump" out of all his clothes at the sight of a "mokkori" lady).
Celtic - An alternate history RP

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby who me » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:05 pm

there is noooo city hunter thread because no one made one.wheeeeee.boink.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Loxley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:12 pm

Well, fyi I made one now. Weeeeeee..... :lol: But it seems I'm the only one here that has ever watched City Hunter. :wink:

Loxley's blog

"A man must do two things in life - love women, and pay back his friends." Ryo Saeba, City Hunter
Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby who me » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:16 pm

cowwwboy beeeebop.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooo....(etc...)

Okay, then, Cowboy Bebop was fun, but it was just an OVA, and too damn short. City Hunter had like, what, a hundred and fifty episodes or so, PLUS a couple of OVA's, a movie and several TV specials. :P

Which means, Ryo Saeba would kick Spike Spiegle's ass! :twisted:

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby who me » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:33 am

you used a bad word.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Loxley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:16 am

Sorrrry... I meant butt. :lol:

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Qray » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:18 am

I don't want this to degenerate into a City Hunter vs. Bebop thread. However, just to clear up the confusion, Cowboy Bebop wasn't an OVA, though it did share some aspects of an OVA. Such as higher production quality and a non-open ended storyline (the story arc had a preplanned beginning and end.) and like City Hunter, Cowboy Bebop also spawned it's own Motion Picture.

It's very possible that Ryo Saeba could've defeated Spike Spiegle. Spike didn't always win, which with a lot of Watanabe's work, is one of the things that enhances the characters appeal. It makes them more believable. Gives the character more depth.

Who couldn't like Ryo, though. A seriously wicked fighter who when not cracking skulls is acting goofy or trying to chat up women.

Who does that remind you of?

Hey! I'm not that good of a fighter ;-])

Loxley wrote:And I won't even begin to TALK about "Angel Heart"... :evil: It was an act of demonic cruelty to kill off Kaori Makimura, and I don't think I am ever going to even look at that one.

Any thoughts, anyone? Or am I the only one in this forum that loves City Hunter? :D

(By the way, I just remembered, I think he's the only anime character that I have seen who can actually "jump" out of all his clothes at the sight of a "mokkori" lady).

It did suck donkey nostrils that Kaori Makimura got herself dead, but Angel Heart was never suppose to be a City Hunter sequel, just an alternate universe spin. If you look at it in that light...ok, it still sucks. I say we go find Tsukasa Hojo, and drag him out back.

Lupin (of Lupin III fame) could do the clothes jump too. Still, it's an impressive skill.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Loxley » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:27 am

Yeah, you're right, I didn't think about that Cowboy Bebop had a motion picture, but it did. And it was pretty good.

Yeah, I'm on at giving him a sound beating. He deserves it for killing off Kaori. :P I loved that girl almost as much as Ryo did...well, not really, but you get the picture.

I've heard of Lupin III, but I've never watched it, though I've thought about finding "Castle of Cagliostro". Seems like a really sweet one, so maybe I'll do that (just to see who of Lupin and Ryo that does the nicest "jump" out of their clothes. :wink: )

But first, I'm going to learn that trick myself. 8)

"Moooookkoorriiiiiiiii....." Ryo Saeba

Loxley's blog

Loxley
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Qray » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 am

Loxley wrote:Yeah, I'm on at giving him a sound beating. He deserves it for killing off Kaori. :P I loved that girl almost as much as Ryo did...well, not really, but you get the picture.

Actually, I do know what you mean. It reminds me of a line from Red Dwarf...

Lister: D'ya think Wilma's sexy?
Cat: Wilma Flintstone?
Lister: Maybe we've been alone in deep space too long, but every time I see that body, it drives me crazy. Is it me?
Cat: Well, I think in all probability, Wilma Flintstone is the most desirable woman that ever lived.
Lister: That's good. I thought I was going strange.
Cat: She's incredible!
Lister: What d'ya think of Betty?
Cat: Betty Rubble? Well, I would go with Betty...but I'd be thinking of Wilma.
Lister: This is crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
Cat: You're right. We're nuts. This is an insane conversation.
Lister: She'll never leave Fred, and we know it.

Loxley wrote:I've heard of Lupin III, but I've never watched it, though I've thought about finding "Castle of Cagliostro". Seems like a really sweet one, so maybe I'll do that (just to see who of Lupin and Ryo that does the nicest "jump" out of their clothes. :wink: )

The quality of the animation isn't on par with City Hunter or Bebop, but it's worth seeing if you like stuff like Ryo's cheekiness. If you catch an episode of Lupin III, see if you can spot the omage that Watanabe makes in Cowboy Bebop to the Lupin III series.

Loxley wrote:But first, I'm going to learn that trick myself. 8)

"Moooookkoorriiiiiiiii....." Ryo Saeba

You gotta love a guy who's battle cry means...thought you were get me to say it didn't ya? :mrgreen:
Qray

Postby who me » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:08 pm

spike has friends!
this city hunter fellow might kick spikes butt, but if he did, JED would kick his butt, and then ED would ruin his credit rating for ever, then put him on the most wanted list or some equally amusing prank.
fay would not do anything. fay sucks.

pim, why do you not just watch city hunter.
because I'm watching "Ah! my goddess"?
then why don't you go the the Ah my goddess thread.
there isn't one.
you could make one.
sure an another girl thread that on one will post in.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Qray » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:42 pm

Hey, easy on Faye. She's got skills. She could grift the guy and con him out of a bunch of money :mrgreen:
Qray

Next

Return to Anime