speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Most dramatic moments

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Most dramatic moments

Postby Mr_D » Mon May 02, 2005 8:08 am

Well we've already got a topic for the best fights so I thought I'd add one for the most dramatic moments. These are the moments that sent shivers up your spine or evoked the most emotion from you. These contain spoilers obviously

Berserk: The tower of rebirth Guts and the remnants of the hawks descend to the lowest chamber of the prison in search of their incarcerated leader Griffith, as they press on we catch glimpses of something wretched waiting in the darkness, a shriveled hand, a familiar eye staring madly from behind a visor. The group open the door expectantly and at first there appears to be nothing there, but Guts makes out a body in the room and finally we see the emaciated body of the once proud Griffith, tortured into madness. An iron mask shaped like his old helmet bolted into place as a twisted reminder of his former glory, Guts and Judeau remove the visor and the camera cuts away. What they see stuns them to silence while our minds are left to imagine exactly what disfigurement he has undergone, all we know is that his tongue has been cut off and his wrist tendons slashed so that he may never again fight or command an army. Griffith reaches out weakly to his old comrade and in a chilling moment of foreshadowing attempts to loosely throttle him, the man who caused his downfall.

This scene is made all the more chilling by the foreshadowing present, at the bottom of the tower we see a pile of corpses marked with the brand, the remainders of an earlier eclipse. The manga expands on this scene as the torturer describes how the last year has been spent, peeling off his skin and tearing his fingernails away to maximize his pain while keeping him alive. When the hawks regroup later we truly get the feeling of despair, all hope has been lost and they can never go back.

Berserk: Epilogue Following the harrowing events of the eclipse we watch as he tools up to hunt for vengeance, the gigantic dragon slayer hung on his back. The scene is made all the more powerful by the silence as the blacksmith Goto quietly warns Guts "Don't get yourself killed". A powerful, if slightly unsatisfactory end to the series.

Berserk: Sprint A chapter of the manga left out of the TV series, following the eclipse Guts comes to in the cave behind Goto's shack where he has been recuperating. Finding Caska insane and terrified of him after the events of the eclipse and realizing that they and Rickert are the only surviving members of the hawks he dashes off into the forest, running as memories of his comrades and his time in the hawks play in his head, the sting of betrayal still fresh.

Berserk: The Eclipse In a series full of outstanding moments (Just look at how many of my entries are Berserk oriented :lol: ) this is the one most people remember. The hawks fight for survival against the horrors of the eclipse, one by one they are picked off, dying tragic deaths. Griffith agrees to the terms of the sacrifice and rises to become a demon king, sacrificing the Hawks so that he may have another chance at becoming king.

Then there's the finale, the climax of the climax as Guts races to save Caska from the demons Griffith emerges reborn as a winged demon, Guts stares in disbelief at his former friend as he begins to rape Caska! Guts' arm is trapped, bitten by a demon. In desperation he strikes at the beast until... his sword breaks! He pauses, looking for a way out, and then, in a moment of sheer badassness (badassosity? Badassitude?) he begins hacking away at his own arm and charges at Griffith! forced to the ground by several more demons he lets forth a scream of pure hatred and anguish as a claw pierces his right eye. And then... The end. That's it. The cliffhanger to end all cliffhangers. To find out what happens next you have to read the ongoing manga. Dammit!

Tekkaman Blade: Evil's confession. Blade has emerged victorious from his battle with his twin brother Evil. (yes, i know...) Evil falls to the ground defeated and reverts to his human form before reminiscing about the past and urging his brother to defeat the aliens once and for all.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu May 05, 2005 9:01 am

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heavens Door (the movie) in the fight with Vincent when Spike got knocked down and the illness was taking affect and he got up to fight some more.

Samurai X Trust and Betrayal when Kinshin finally realized he loved his "wife".

Samurai X Reflections the death of Kinshin.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Magus » Fri May 06, 2005 9:17 pm

Kenshin dies?

:cry:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Manji » Sat May 07, 2005 7:51 pm

Trigun- Wolfwood's death scene. 'nuff said.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Mr_D » Sun May 08, 2005 6:22 am

Manji- Damn straight, I was gonna post that myself but you beat me to it.

Trigun: Eternal pain and suffering Following Wolfwood's death Vash encounters Legato, who uses mind control on the townspeople to threaten Millie and Meryl. Legato gives Vash an ultimatum, either he kills Legato here and now, ending the situation with only one casualty or they all die. Vash struggles to find another solution to an increasingly desperate situation, refusing to kill Legato as it conflicts with his pacifist beliefs. The crowd close in on the girls and there is a brief pause as a tearful Vash pulls the trigger. The impact hammered home by the close up of the hammer striking the bullet. Legato falls to the ground dead, an eerie smile on his face. We hear his pledge to knives

"Vash the stampede will experience eternal pain and suffering"

The episode closes with a shot of knives, recoiling in sadistic laughter. The major payoff comes in the next episode, Vash awakens, having recovered from his wounds and slowly flashes of his memories resurface. Vash tells Meryl that he can remember all of it, Meryl makes her excuses and leaves the room and outside we hear his frenzied screams of anguish. His entire life has centred around the philosophy that it is wrong to take the life of another and now that life crashes down around him.

The Guyver: Out of control Sho and his friends have just rescued his father from the clutches of Cronos, a corporation that bio engineers living weapons out of regular people. They make their way to rendevous with the others when suddenly Sho's father's back erupts in a monstrous growth! Cronos has turned im into a living weapon for the sole purpose of eliminating his son. Sho bio boosts, the armour closing around him but is reluctant to attack his father. A devastating attack from the bio weapon destroys half of Sho's skull and a large portion of his brain, the armour is the only thing keeping him alive. The armour takes control of his body, forcing him to attack his father, tearing the creature to shreds with no remorse or hesitation. After the battle the Guyver stands in the rain, the raindrops trickling down the surface of it's armour, there's a close up of the face, the raindrops resembling tears.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Talon Sinnah » Wed May 11, 2005 12:21 pm

Yeap Kenshin dies Magus. It brought a tear to my mom's eye to.

I was never much into Trigun and never watched Guyver either so.....
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Manji » Sat May 14, 2005 4:59 pm

YOu really should see Trigun. I didn't like it much either until the middle episodes came around. That's when it turned around for me.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dr_Love » Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:26 pm

MOST DRAMATIC MOMENT IN ANIME HISTORY.....Goku getting killed.....wait nvm you said most dramatic, not most often. hehe.

For real...Yusuke sacrificing himself for the small kid in the beginning of YYH.

As Talon said, Vincent and Spike fighting on the roof with the illness.

Kenshin dying....period, nothing more is needed to be said.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

I'm such a fan of Evangelion!!!

Postby What's that up your nose? » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:15 am

Anything in Evangelion is dramatic!
I loved this bit where Shinji sees the room with the tank full of Rei copies. That was quite freaky. I think that was the episode where Rei does that really strange poem at the beginning.
(Mountains, heavy are the mountains, but that changes with the passage of time...) This is a really wierd poem, but it's very... well, emotional's not really the word... just wierd, that's all I can think of.
What's that up your nose?
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Dr_Love » Fri Aug 26, 2005 8:45 am

i never got into Evang. i don't know why...oh well.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:55 pm

I have watched Trigun and only liked maybe one out of every twenty episodes even then I disliked them but less then the others. I do not even remember the episodes I like, they all seem the thing.

the last episode of Wolfs Rain. When the flower a and the white wolf died together.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Dr_Love » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:41 pm

I haven't watched wolf's reign that much....but from the sounds of it and from what i've seen of it i guess that could be considered a dramatic moment in my book...but i'd love to finish the rest of the series anyways.
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Next

Return to Anime