speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Who here likes "Black Lagoon"?

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Who here likes "Black Lagoon"?

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:16 pm

Okay this anime was originally release in 2007, and I couldn't get it because of Geneon's infamous "collapse."

Awhile back when my mom and I switched cable companies (went from Charter Communications to AT&T U-Verse), and I checked out Starz! Edge channel. Sure enough "Black Lagoon" aired on this channel. So I DVR'ed it and watched a few episodes. IT TOTALLY BLEW ME AWAY!!!!!!!!. I found out recently that Geneon (with the help of Funimation) re-released this series, so I not only bought vols. 1-3, but I bought "Black Lagoon: Second Barrage"

I was wondering if there were other fans of this series here?

Fave Characters:

Revy
Balalaika
Those sick evil twins, Hansel and Gretel- What a couple of sick puppies those two were!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Eda
Dutch
Rock

Fave Line:

From Episode 2:

Rock: *raises middle finger* "YOU GOT F*****!!"
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Who here likes "Black Lagoon"?

Postby Anime Trekker » Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:20 pm

From what I've heard, Studio Madhouse is working on a third season of "Black Lagoon"

Maybe they'll get into the second Lovelace/Roberta story arc.

And they need to explain how Revy and Dutch met.

"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

You got funked!

Postby Qray » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:03 am

Black Lagoon...Black Lagoon...that sounded so familiar. So I went and looked it up. Oh yeah, I recalled seeing a few of the earlier episodes. I remember being super stoked when Black Lagoon first came out. The theme song and opening rocked.

And the general idea of the series seemed interesting too. A "delivery [wink/nod]" crew on an old PT boat in the South Pacific. I was all "Oh man! What's this? This is awesome!"

I was even impressed by the detail to the sound effects. The sound of the gun reports are different for each weapon. Even though Revy's Beretta 92F's don't sound like Beretta 92F's, they're distinctive from say the 1911's the maid carries. And they even go so far as to put in somewhat realistic sound effects for falling spent shells. Again they don't match what they're suppose to be, the spent casings from Revy's Beretta 92F's sound more like .22' casings, but still...I was glued to the tube.

Then in the second episode they take out an assault chopper by jumping the PT boat and hitting the chopper with a torpedo?!?!?! In one episode Revy is jumping from speeding boat to speeding boat in the open water during a running gun battle. No one hits her even when they're firing at her point blank range and she ends up destroying all the gun boats. Even surviving an explosion just a few feet away from her she causea by firing a M79 grenade launcher. This is in the plot even though they're on a PT boat. One with a pair of turret mounts for a couple ma dueces!?!?!?!

So...my suspension of disbelief only goes so far. Yeah, I know it's anime, but I try to stay with more "realistic" titles, if you could call any anime titles "realistic." That and Rock is suppose to be Japanese but comes off as not. Which for some reason keeps bugging me.

Which us a shame as I recently picked up the Second Barrage. (Thanks for bringing this title back to my attention, Anime Trekker) It settles down in requiring suspension of disbelief as the episodes go on and it kicks eight kinds of ass.

But it's not a title for feint of heart. There's some seriously dark and twisted *beep* going down in some of these episodes that would make the likes of say Tarantino and Rodriguez say "that's messed up."
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

The Vampire Twins story arc.

Postby Qray » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:41 am

Anime Trekker wrote:Those sick evil twins, Hansel and Gretel- What a couple of sick puppies those two were!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Oh man, sick doesn't even begin to describe those two psychos, but it's good example of how good some of the plotlines are and the adultness of the storylines that are ripped from real world headlines.

[spoil]I mean two Romanian twin orphans who had been abandoned in a state-run orphanage due to the Nicolae Ceauşescu regime's ban on abortion and their parents' inability to afford keeping them. They were repeatedly forced to participate in paedophilic snuff films in which they are either raped or forced to murder other children, and being repeatedly forced to watch the people running the orphanage beat one of the children to death in front of them, the twins eventually became deranged, sadistic killers just to survive. Developing a belief that they can live longer by killing others. What they did to Balalaika's collector. Pounding nails into his head...it's way beyond *beep* up.

And it got me to thinking...what do you do with someone like that? Yeah, it's not their fault that they became psycho killers, but their minds are messed up to the point that what do you do? Is there any solution other than to kill them? Is there any happy ending for them other than death?[/spoil]

Two nice looking kids, huh?
The stuff nightmares are made of...Hansel and Gretel.
Qray

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:09 pm

The whole Revy/Eda friendship kinda reminds of Kei and Yuri from "Dirty Pair" and "Dirty Pair Flash"

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Qray » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:14 am

Hey, AT. Any news on new Black Lagoon anime coming out?
Qray

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am

As far as I know, Black Lagoon: Roberta's Blood Trail has been released as an OVA (5 episodes) in Japan.

Funimation has the rights in the U.S., but hasn't given a release date, or any info as to whether there'll be an English dub (which they probably won't do).

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Anime