speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Witchblade (anime)

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Witchblade (anime)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:39 pm

Well, in case you people haven't heard, in 2006 studio Gonzo created a kicka** incarnation of Top Cow's best selling comic book title "Witchblade." It was released in the US in 2007 by Funimation

In the near future, Masane Amaha is a refugee with a daughter, Rihoko, who is moving to Tokyo. When they arrive, they are immediately greeted by NSWF (National SCience and Welfare Foundation), who then take Rihoko into custody. Masane then gives them a chase and gets arrested. While in jail, one of her cellmates transforms into a weapon known as an EX-CON, and kills everyone. Then suddenly some thing burst out of Masane, and transforms her into the "Witchblade" (and most of what she's wearing goes bye bye). She then destroys the EX-CON and busts out of jail.

After Masane busts out of jail, she gets hit with a tranquilizer gun, and gets taken to the headquarters of the Douji Group. When she wakes up, Reiji Takayama, one of the directors at the Douji Group, asks her to fight the malfunctioning EX-CONS. Masane agrees on one condition: she gets custody of her daughter back. She not only has to fight the EX-CON's but the "Cloneblade" users from the NSWF.

[spoil]Rihoko is not Masane's biological daughter. Reina, one of the Cloneblades, had a sexual relationship with Takayama 6 years prior, and she got pregnant with Rihoko. While she pregnant, she discovered that she was compatable with the Witchblade. After Rihoko was born, she tried to put the Witchblade on, but was rejected, therefore causing the great earthquake that destroyed most of Tokyo. Next thing you know, Masane was found holding Rihoko, and having possession of the Witchblade (she didn't know it because of amnesia, and it was hidden in her body)[/spoil]

The first opening theme song kicks seven kins of A**

[BBvideo 425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6wcGPzecaU[/BBvideo]

Warning: This series is not for the feint of heart, or those who are not into heavy loads of fanservice ( and boy is there a ton of it)
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Witchblade (anime)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:23 pm

[spoil]Masane does die at the end of the series, and is the final Witchblade bearer.

It would have been really nice if Gonzo did a couple of episodes showing what happened to Rihoko after Masane dies. I can only assume that her biological father, Reiji Takayama, has taken custody of her.

In the Japanese version, some extra "shading" had to be applied just to get this through Japanese Broadcast Standards (The same ones that let "Elfen Lied" get by)[/spoil]

And I really like the 2nd end theme song "Kutso Himo"

[BBvideo 425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gzw4QfRjOs&feature=PlayList&p=574141F609CFC09C&playnext=1&index=11[/BBvideo]

The 2nd opening theme song, "Dear Bob", is really catchy

[BBvideo 425,344]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tM3f_8SCYA[/BBvideo]
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Witchblade (anime)

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:57 pm

I just watched the ending for the umpteenth million time.

[spoil]Man, Maria was a psycho-brat. It's really not her fault. The problem was caused by the inbreeding. First generation of Neo-Genes were created using biotechnology and Mr. Furumizu's DNA. The First generation then threw their own eggs back into the mix, where Mr. Furumizu's DNA was used again to create the second generation.[/spoil]

If there was a "Baby Got Back" award for anime, Masane would win it hands down.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Anime