speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Newer Anime To Watch?

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Newer Anime To Watch?

Postby Dr_Love » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:13 pm

So I've been looking for anime to watch. Whats some newer anime thats worth watching that has come out in 2010-2011 or so? I mean anything is appreciated, I can't seem to find any good ones anymore, it's like the best time for anime is in the past idk. Im at a lost, someone help please?
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Re: Newer Anime To Watch?

Postby Anime Trekker » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:39 pm

You might want to try these:

Vampire Knight- Japan's answer to "Twilight"

Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo- Okay it came to the US several years ago, and was re-released in 2009 (thanks to Funimation picking up the rights to former Geneon anime titles). It's a sci-fi take of Dumas's novel, and it is Studio Gonzo's best animation to date.

Evangelion 1.11: You Are Not Alone
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dr_Love » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:51 pm

Japans version of Twilight...I'll pass on that lol. Not my cup of tea, but I'm gonna look into Gankutsuou, it sounds pretty decent. Thanks. If anyone has any other suggestions just toss em' at me.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:04 am

Another one from a few years back

Gunslinger Girl:

In Italy, there is an organization, The Social Welfare Agency, dedicated to helping rehabilitate children who were unfortunate victims of circumstance. What the agency does in reality is give them cybernatic components, and they become cold blooded assassins. Henrietta was an innocent girl whose family was massacred and she was left for dead. Now she and four other girls Triela, Angelica, Rico, and Claes must do the governments dirty work.

This is Madhouse's best animation to date

More Recent:

Gunslinger Girl ~Il Teatrino~ - A different animation company, Artland, handled this, so the animation's not quite as good. The story revolves around Triela infiltrating the Five Republics faction to search for an agency operative, but finds herself staring down the barrel of a gun (and a Five Republics assassin named Pinocchio)

Best Buy's anime and dvd/blu-ray selection has gotten so small over the last year or so.

FYE stores mostly sell used dvd's/blu-ray disc's
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Nightender » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:00 am

Eden of the East is a fun modern era cyberpunk story that focuses on a Japanese girl who tries throwing coins from the street to the White House fountain. A guy comes to her aid wearing no clothes and holding a cell phone in one hand and a revolver in the other. It's often light-hearted, but can be dark at times. This is a good series, which isn't surprising since it comes from Kenji Kamiyama, director of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.
Nightender
New User
New User

Postby NeoScribe » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:57 pm

How about Summer Wars? A crazy computer entity begins destroying the on-line world much of the real world now depends on to function. A young man who is a genius, and got roped into being a girl's fake fiance for her family reunion, and her, and her family, all try to stop the entity as the world around them begins to unravel.
The flower shop gig wasn't enough to pay for my videogames.
NeoScribe
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Return to Anime