speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Favorite Anime/Recomendations

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Favorite Anime/Recomendations

Postby Xyster » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:31 pm

Hello there. I know we have some anime fans around here and noticed that there's not really a recommendations thread or favorites thread, so I figured I'd start one. I know that I'm always looking for a new show to watch, but sometimes have problems finding a new one. Going to anime sites and scrolling through lists can get old really fast when some of the stuff isn't in the US yet or having to cross reference with my anime rating site. I figured having a nice place to post what people here enjoyed watching and maybe giving it a rating and breif description could give some others insight on what might be fun to watch.

Warning: My taste in anime seems to run for dark/funny or depressing/gritty. Most of them involve blood and are rated 16+. If you are squeamish I suggest looking up more detailed reviews on these before investing in them.

Hell Girl: I love this thing, watched it several times now and have had friends watch it too. It's primarly about a girl that makes deals with people to send souls of people that have wronged them to Hell, but the price is the contractors soul will also go there when they die. Some of the episodes deal with some pretty heavy stuff, but the animation is gorgeous and there's something satisfying about seeing the bad guys get their come-uppins in the end.

Baccano: Probably one of my favorite animes of all time. Very unique story telling method as it jumps around a lot between times and people, but actually not that hard to follow. Got some very genuinely hillarious moments and lots of action. It's newish, only a couple years old now I think, and only 13 episodes long. It focuses primarily on the gang world of the 1920s and 1930s, with a slightly supernatural slant. It is in a word amazing, highly recomended.

Texnolhyze: Possibly spelled wrong, but a very interesting if highly depressing take on the future. The main character is a bit out of the ordinary and the entire story focuses on the the end of the world so to speak. Again, beautiful art style and a story that kept me involved and questioning who the real bad guys were for most of it. The ending was one of the most memorable I've seen in a long time.

Possibly more to come later, but these are some of my favorites and most highly recommended.
Xyster
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Favorite Anime/Recomendations

Postby Nightender » Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:14 am

Anime, I love it. Favorite anime, I have a few.

RahXephon: Best mech show ever. It's mysterious, complex, and pays off at the end. Also, it makes sense. That's right, it makes sense. It has one of the best surprise plots I've ever seen and when it's finally addressed openly, it's so rewarding. Ayato Kamina is also a mech pilot who doesn't whine incessantly.

Berserk: Fantasy/horror taking place in the Dark Ages. Politics and war abound and while there is a great deal of violence and gore, the story would suffer without it.

Eden of the East: I recently discovered this show from Kenji Kamiyama, the director of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It's a very near future cyberpunk story with a few lighthearted/comedic elements. The main character starts out with no memory, standing naked on a street in front of the White House, has a cell phone in one hand, and a gun in the other hand. Very good show and I'm looking forward to seeing the two movies.

Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise: Alternate world of war. Tells a very technically accurate tale of trying to send a man into space for the first time. Really good movie. (Added bonus for me, I got my first kiss while watching it.)

I could go on, but I won't. At least not yet.
Nightender
New User
New User

Return to Anime