speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Anime Movies!

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Anime Movies!

Postby Forever Zero » Sat Apr 09, 2005 6:34 pm

Yeah, now here's a forum I can see myself spending a lot of time in. I'll post the awesome Anime movies I've seen.

Akira
Yes, a groundbreaking film in terms of storyline, animation, and style. If you have not seen this movie, you are missing out. The basic premise is, post World War III, there are certain people who have these powers. One of the main characters, Tetsuo, is one of them, only throughout the movie, his powers go out of control. Like, seriously out of control. You'll have to see the movie to know how crazy it gets.

Vampire Hunter D / VHD: Bloodlust
Both of these movies were absolutely stunning. Now, I generally don't approve of vampires because they're almost as overused as classic fantasy. However, these movies are so stylish and creative among the lines of undead and vampiric influence that you can't help but enjoy them.

Ghost in the Shell
Yeah, the original movie, not the series Stand Alone Complex or the sequel. This is perhaps one of the coolest sci-fi stories ever made. Basically, it is set way in the future. Technology has advanced to a point where humans have been enhancing their brains with computer mainframes of sorts. The movie follows this person known as "The Puppetmaster", who has found a way to hack into people's brains, thusly possessing them. I can't remember much more than that, but it's a great movie, and definitely worth the watch.

End of Evangelion
Only watch this if you've seen the series beforehand. Otherwise it will just be utterly confusing. Beyond that, this movie features some of the most wild, disturbing, and creative imagery I have probably ever seen in an Anime to date. Likewise, the Evangelion series contains this same greatness, so all of that is worth the watch. I can guarantee that 'monster' you have an idea for will cease to be as cool once you see the things they fight in this series and movie.

Princess Mononoke
Some of you may or may not have seen Kiki's Delivery Service or Spirited Away. Well, Miyazaki was behind this movie, too, as apparent in the animation style, and it lives up to the guys reputation. If any of you didn't know, Miyazaki is considered one of the Anime greats. Great movie for both the animation style and ideas.

Spirited Away
Like I mentioned above. Excellent movie, and probably the best animation quality I have ever seen. Follows the same sort of "Alice in Wonderland" premise, only a lot more wild, and with an actual storyline happening in the spirit world rather than just aimless wandering and encountering wierd things.

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
If you're a fan of mecha, watch this movie. Amazing animation quality, excellent fights (And coming from the Gundam Wing series, the fights are always superb), and great mecha designs. I prefer Deathscythe Custom, myself. Also requires watching the series to know what's going on, however it does give you some backstory, so the series isn't completely necessary.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
One of the greatest animated features I have ever seen in my entire life. I'm a big fan of the series anyway, but this movie was just amazing. And the strange thing was, unlike most anime it wasn't this wild world with all kinds of creatures and inhuman powers and such, however it did have a sense of style and feel to the story that made it better than most anime I've seen to date. Its the story of an outbreak of a nanomachine virus, but it goes a lot deeper than that. If you watch any of these movies out of curiosity, make it this one.

I'll add more movies when I think of them. In the meantime, post some of your own, if you feel like it.
Forever Zero
New User
New User

Postby Anime Trekker » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:22 pm

List of Anime Movies I've got:

Project A-Ko- Even though this anime gem was made in the 1980's and released in the early 90's when this was Central Park Media's first anime release, it's still very funny and chock full of parodies. The main character, A-Ko, is my current avatar.

Project A-Ko 2

Project A-Ko 3

Project A-Ko 4

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death And Rebirth- This is basically a recap of the entire series up until the final 2 episodes, then it switches over to an alternate ending.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End Of Evangelion- This the alternate ending to the series. Part of the alternate was featured in Death and Rebirth.

Cowboy Bebop The Movie

Armitage: Poly-Matrix

Armitage: Dual-Matrix

Metropolis

Wicked City

Akira

InuYasha the Movie

InuYasha the Movie 2

Wicked City

Ghost in the Shell

Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence

Saiyuki Requiem (a.k.a. Saiyuki the Motion Picture)- Just got this at Wally World on Thursday. Even though I've never seen the series, I enjoyed the movie greatly. It's kind of like InuYasha set in modern day Asia. Sanzo is a gun toting rebellious priest. Goku is a very hyperactive monkey king. Gojyo is a womanizing half human/half demon. Hakkai is a calm collected human-turned-demon with a pet dragon. Together they go kick demonic butt.

Transformers the Movie

X (the movie)- This movie does have its good and bad points
Bad points: They tried to cram everything together
very little character development
Not very faithfull to the manga series
Good Points: Lots of blood!
The X tv series was much, much, more faithfull to the Manga. You get a chance to sit down with the characters and see what the Dragons of Heaven do when nothing major comes up. There is some sexual tension in the anime series.

Macross II: Lovers Again

Twilight of the Dark Master

Bio-Hunter

Vampire Hunter D

Vampire Hunter D: BloodLust

PatLabor: The Mobile Police movie

PatLabor II

WXLL: PatLabor III

Black Magic M-66

Perfect Blue

Ah My Goddess the Movie

Tokyo Godfathers

Blood the Last Vampire

I have a lot more, but it would take too long to list. I have been an anime fan since I was a baby in the 1980's
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby who me » Thu May 05, 2005 1:22 am

I don't have any anime moves. :(
but I'm a big fan of hayao miyazaki. sometimes i can watch some anime on televising but most people hear don't like it, and they never run them in chronological order :( .
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Talon Sinnah » Thu May 05, 2005 8:57 am

Akira could have been better, and the first Vampire Hunter D I could not stand, the animation was next to terrible.

Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust is awesome. I would say it ranks close to my favorite anime movie. I only wish they would have drug the last fight scene against the vampire out longer.

Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heavens Door(the movie) would have to be one of my favorites. There is not one thing I found wrong with that one. They just set it up so well and was faithful to the show, the only thing it needed was Vicious.
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Magus » Fri May 06, 2005 9:16 pm

I have:

Princess Mononoke

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz

And... that's it. I do want Spirited Away and Akira.

And, if The Transformer's Movie counts then I have it... or at least my brother does... but he left it behind from college and I love it. As a matter of fact... I feel like watching it right now.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Manji » Sat May 14, 2005 9:59 pm

[quote="Talon Sinnah"]Akira could have been better, and the first Vampire Hunter D I could not stand, the animation was next to terrible.

What the hell!?
How in the hell could Akira have been any better? It was the greatest anime movie I've ever seen.
Of course vampire Hunter D's animation sucked. It was a low budget movie from the eighties based off of a series of short stories with a very small following as opposed to a Manga. It was not something that executives thought people would pay good money to see, so it got a low budget. However, people did see it and people loved it. That's why we got BloodLust.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.
Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Princess of Fire » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:29 pm

I've got...

InuYasha movie

InuYasha movie2

and...

Spirited Away...I think...I do, however love Princess Moninoka and wish to own it someday... :P
SMILES!!!
Princess of Fire
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:41 am

You mean Mononoke?

:rofl:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Mr_D » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:47 am

The fact is Akira could have been better, the movie only covered a fraction of the story and as a result the narrative felt fractured. Technically though it's still leagues ahead of most productions.
Mr_D
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Magus » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:00 am

It was like some kind of LSD trip, but was fully awesome in every respect. Not perfect, just awesome. But, yes, the narrative did feel kind of fractured at times.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby aldan » Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:29 pm

The Anime Movies that I own are:

Ghost in the Shell

Akira

Endless Waltz (Gundam Wing: The Movie)

Princess Mononoke

Spirited Away

Darkside Blues

Metropolis

oh, and Titan: AE doesn't exactly count as Anime, per se, but it IS in that style.

Those are what I have.

I've also seen The Iron Giant, which was an excellent movie, but I don't own it.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:08 am

Nice collection there Aldan. I've seen most of those and enjoyed them all. Metropolis was... weird... not as good as Akira-weird but still enjoyable. I haven't seen Ghost in the Shell or Darkside Blues, are they good? Titan A.E. was pretty cool but I'm not that big of a fan of The Iron Giant.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Next

Return to Anime