speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Anime

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Anime

Postby Magus » Sat Apr 09, 2005 10:15 pm

Posted By: Eleika Jun 11, 2003 - 11:24 pm

Here's a question for those of you who watch anime: has it affected your writing at all?

For those of you who don't even know what it is, I mean Japanese Animation. And I don't mean the crappy Americanized stuff, like Digimon and Pokemon and most others that Fox has dubbed over and screened for Saturday Mornings and after school. (Not that I didn't watch those in my day, of course, but anyway ... )

I'm talking about SF/F stuff like Slayers, Magic Knights Rayearth Inu Yasha, Gundam Wing, Neon Genesis Evangelion, and countless others. Movies, too, like Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away. Any anime with science fiction or fantasy settings, plots, etc. Did watching it affect your writing? How many of you actually watch it?

I ask because I've noticed that it's affected mine, to a greater extent than I imagined. Yeah, I'll admit to a childhood addiction to Sailor Moon. I still find watching anime to be a source for inspiration. Anyone else?

Posted By: RongFo Jun 11, 2003 - 11:34 pm

I've enjoyed a few anime films and fewer serials. I watched Vampire Hunter D and a couple other serials that were okay. Akira and Ghost in the Shell are both great SF movies--somewhat beyond what I consider "anime." Similarly, Princess Mononoke (I only saw the English version w/ Billy Cruddup, Clair Danes, etc.) is an excellent and original fantasy story. Dunno if they affected me any more than any other films, but anything I consider outstanding (in whatever medium/genre) is certain to have affected my work in some ways.

Posted By: Daelish Jun 12, 2003 - 03:57 am

I never liked anime much. But then I grew up with American cartoons like GI Joe, Thundercats, and the Transformers (back before the anti-violence in cartoons movement was too big, they're NOT like the watered down versions of the same cartoons that came out recently). When anime was first starting to get popular in the USA years ago I tried watching Ghost in the Shell, but I just didn't like the hokey dubbing or the animation. Sure it was "pretty", but distracting.

Posted By: Aslan Jun 12, 2003 - 06:41 am

Just watched Akira last night for the first time. I've been a big Miyazaki fan for awhile now - thought Spirited Away was the best film of the year in 2002. However, I didn't come across anime until the last several years. So it's wasn't formative in my creative writing abilities. However, it does affect me a little. Thanks to Miyazaki's films (Mononoke, Spirited, Naussica), I'm not afraid to stretch the bounds of imagination. They can be inspirational, urging the creative juices to start a'brewin'. And they help me think outside the box.

Sidenote: I think that Akira and Ghost in the Shell are definitive anime, not beyond it. I tend to classify animated films into three categories, distinguished by style and quality: animated features, anime and cartoons. Just my opinion.

And Daelish, I could be wrong, but I think Thundercats, Transformers, and several other 'toons of the 80s were originally dubbed anime.

Posted By: Ding_man Jun 12, 2003 - 06:58 am

I'm not much of an anime person. Of course I dont watch much tv really.I love the art I just can't get past the terrible scrips that a lot of them have. I don't write anything like anime really my stories have to be completely original or I dump them most of the time.

Posted By: Eleika Jun 12, 2003 - 07:21 am

Transformers were. I think the fact that it's from another culture gives it that freshness ... exactly as you put it, Aslan, allowing us to think outside the box.

Posted By: The Filmchick Jun 12, 2003 - 07:32 am

I like Cowboy Bebop for the writing, and about two other series too, from time to time, but I think that the 'freshness' of imported anime culture that Eleika mentions is going stale, and quickly. I mean, everywhere you turn now, it's Japanese cartoons, Japanese motifs on T-shirts, Japanese conventions on webpages, whatever. So, because of that, it has no bearing on my own work - that I know of - because I figure if I'd put the book down, others obviously might as well.

This could be because I live in a college town and recently left college myself, and the college atmosphere wholeheartedly embraced anime and the whitewashed version of the culture that goes along with anime, but frankly, I think it's getting old, fast.

(Self-evident disclaimer: This is not a critique on Japanese culture. This is a critique on Americanized Japanese culture, which IMHO is second only in annoyance to Americanized UK/Irish culture, ie Madonna and her husband getting married in kilts or whatever that was. If I knew Japanese culture as well as I know that of the Isles, I'm sure I'd find the much larger appropriation of Japanese culture and media even more annoying. On the other hand, a full-scale invasion of the freakier side of Tokyo's nightlife (look out for teenage gangaru!) would certainly be interesting.)

Posted By: Ding_man Jun 12, 2003 - 09:17 am

Can you put parenthesed words in a sentence full of parentheses like you did? hm

Posted By: The Filmchick Jun 12, 2003 - 09:38 am

Actually, the proper MLA format is (parenthesized text [bracketed text] more parenthesized text with punctuation inside the parenthesis.) But. I make a lot of grammar mistakes in merely chat-typing - like sentence fragments, and misappropriation of m-dashes for punctuation. If you've been reading this post carefully, you've seen those two. It doesn't distract from legibility, though, so I don't stress about it.

oN teh otehr jhand, iph ii tiped liek this, you'd w4nt to kill me!!!!!!!!!!1~ OLLOLOLOOLOLOLOLOLO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11~

(Brought to you by the Dialectizer.)

Posted By: Ding_man Jun 12, 2003 - 10:50 am

Your reminding me of people I talk with on messenger FC lol.

Posted By: Akilae Jun 12, 2003 - 07:12 pm

well, personally, almost everything I write can be pieced together from anime/manga, lol...

let's see... magic system from Lina (Slayers) or Urd (Ah! My Goddess), fleet space combat from DLDS (The Legend of the Galactic Heros, the original novel, never saw the anime...), main plot inspiration from Five Star Stories (the manga). Naussica and Castle in the Sky also provided some thoughts on the state of current technology and its implications for the future.

Still haven't figured out how to incorporate child pilots calling their berserking machines "Mommy!" into my story though, gonna have to work on that ;-)

But complaining about Japanese culture already? sheesh... if only you guys had to listen to J-pop 24/7 too... it's not bad, just... overwhelming.

Posted By: The Filmchick Jun 12, 2003 - 08:16 pm

Akilae - You've never seen a collegiate anime club then. It's truly overwhelming. A bunch of girls all lusting after cartoons, speaking in aforementioned anime conventions ("Oh, he's so kawaii! ^_^" ), and (I'm sure) misappropriating Japanese culture wholesale.

I have a friend who's studying Japanese as a major just so she can write "proper" (sic) anime. That's scary, in my book.

(Edit: Stupid smileys coming in even when I don't want them to. There was one after 'kawaii' because of the parenthesis. Bah.)

Posted By: Eleika Jun 12, 2003 - 08:59 pm

It happens ... sometimes when you put a " right next to a bracket. Program error, probably.

I've lost friends over anime. They were too hardcore, and made me feel like, just because I hadn't watched as much anime as them, I wasn't good enough, and I'd never catch up.

Cowboy Bebop ... now, that one was well thought out. I liked how they seeped our future history (eg the moon's explosion) out in little bits, and tied everything together so well. Sailor Moon aside, that's the only one I've ever wanted to write a fanfic for (starring, of course, Spike's mysteriously-unmentioned younger brother).

Posted By: RongFo Jun 12, 2003 - 10:51 pm

[rant] Now, I know that I'm a big fan of a lot of things that have their flaws. In fact, outside of this aside, I dare you to attack me on the archetypal power of the Buffyverse or the Uncharted Territories--go ahead, I dare you! But IAS, there are genres--like anime--which take a specific subset of human/media culture and map out every ugly pimple upon it. Anime is one of those genres. You will find (as myself and others have mentioned) staggering, powerful events within the genre, but the basic premises of said genres limit the "literary" exploration of the themes provided to a specific set of rulers. IE, how does this piece fit into the "genre" of anime, vs. how does it fit in the overall "canon" of SF? My placing of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, and Princess Mononoke as "beyond" anime is less a criticism of anime itself as it is an acknowledgement that anime can contribute something beyond its genre conventions and affect the future of art in general. Just like a humble selection of SF has been accepted as "enduring art" by the highbrow "literary" community, some anime contains such soul-searching and powerfully farseeing qualities that it deserves inclusion into the vaulted heights of "true SF." Admittedly, there is a lot of pointless crap in that genre, much of which I would debate its inclusion against such powerful explorations of "what is humanity in an age of cyborgs," a la Ghost in the Shell.
[/rant]
All that aside, I may be a minority in that I am a "fanboy" who gives most things a chance b4 deciding whether they fit into my own personal canon of "great works." Nonetheless, I admit that I could never write a proper anime, but I realize that (in that precious handful of "quality" anime) there is much that I can learn to improve my own take on the future, the never-has-been, and the maybe-will.

Posted By: jcbnfulks Jun 12, 2003 - 11:57 pm

i have to say cowboy bebop was it for me. it changed what i wanted to write. i wrote crappy little stories with over blown heroes who killed hundreds and had a vast arsenal. but after seeing cowboy bebop it made me actually want to have a story and feelings and emotions and love and all that other crap. it made me want to write crime fiction but after that started sucking i wanted to start writing scifi because of it. and most recently it's been akira. but those crappy little plans fell through.
anyways, i'm still developing my writing, all things considered i think i'm coming along pretty well. like the fact that in hick towns and hick schools theres nothing to teach you writing skills besides basic english and they even tell you you'll only have to write reports because they don't like sorting through the 'crap' of teenaged writers. so yeah, anime's basically the only reason i want to write.

Posted By: Cole Jun 13, 2003 - 08:19 am

The only Anime I have watched really and bought are Princess Mononoke and Record of Lodoss War (fantasy setting).

They are both good, but RoLW's story is a bit simplistic imo. The dialogue isn't super but it's still decent fantasy and entertaining. Personally it has not inspired me in my plot ideas or writing thus far.

Cole

Posted By: manji Aug 03, 2003 - 10:29 pm

Well in response to Rong Fo's rant that anime had certain things expected of it. . .
well the same goes with scifi. I mean, there is alotta stupid anime but just like there's alotta stupid low budget comedies and the such. that's just what it is though, cheap movies. i mean, there's alotta times when, ya know, their faces fall to the floor or whatever. well that's just for some sort of comic relief.
the thing i find funny though is that alot of people HATE anime and laugh at it, considering it childish stuff like 'dragon ball z' and 'yu-gi-oh'. everytime i find ANYONE who doesn't know much about anime the first things that escape their mouth is 'you mean yu-gi-oh or pokemon?'
but it's hilarious 'cause when making the matrix the directors were heavily influenced by anime, namely ninja scroll and trigun.
so matrix is a mind bending movie with deep philosophy but anime is crap?
funny!
the thing is anime is NOT a genre. anime is another branch of media, like movies or comic books or just plain books. in anime you have scifi (cowboy bebop, akira, and watch any of the original gundams which is just as deep, if not deeper, than starwars.) action (gunsmith cats, golgo13, trigun) and fantasy (princess mononoke)
so while it does have alotta stupid moments and shows, it's just screw ups the makers made not failings of the whole branch.

Posted By: Mr_D Aug 04, 2003 - 05:03 am

Anime can quite easily reach the level of story telling achieved by books, siunce, unlike normal live action cinema it is uninhibited by reality, allowing as much freedom as writing.

Personally, I originally started writing as a script for drawing my own manga, and it grew from there, it allows me to write more fluently if is run the scene through my head, and the style was nice and simple, but still detailed, very slick and stylish, also the general presentation: the camera angles and such appealed to my natural sense of flamboyance, simply put: I write anime in word form.

Posted By: RongFo Aug 04, 2003 - 05:18 am

Good points, Manji and Mr_D. I freely admit that I've seen just enough anime to be predjudiced.

I do have to disagree about anime not being a genre, just because there are multiple media devoted to it. SF as a genre offers books, movies, comics, etc. as well. I think you actually do a disservice to the development of anime if you do not allow it its own millieu to play within. A "genre" is simply a set of parameters within which many different works fit. Since we can talk about it as a whole and point out what we feel are good and bad examples of it, IMHO, it's a genre.

Interesting fun fact: I read that Neil Gaiman wrote the dialogue for the english dubbed version of Princess Mononoke, taking special pains to match his new lines to the lip movements of the characters. Personally, I think he nailed it.

Posted By: manji Aug 06, 2003 - 09:55 pm

but anime is not a genre it's just a movie that happens to be animated. Not every anime has wild and unrealistic movements or actions and events.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby FantasyMan » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:04 pm

definitly i mean look at my lycoria cherters name and just the way i write in genral...
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Benjaru » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:12 pm

The way you write... No comment. :twisted:
You Dew, or you Dew not. There is no Coke.
Benjaru
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Princess of Fire » Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:27 pm

well, as for my writing, i would have to say that without anime, my writing would not flow as well...also i find it easier to write when i first draw the main character in the anime style...so...i really think anime takes a big part in my writing. ;)
SMILES!!!
Princess of Fire
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby FantasyMan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:36 am

so i can't spell bite me! lol
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby aldan » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:40 pm

Actually, you spelled "bite me" just fine...
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby What's that up your nose? » Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:57 am

I certainly get a lot of inspiration from anime.
My hope is that my stories will come to the level of complexity of Evangelion.
I got inspiration from Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion and (don't laugh) Pokemon.
Hey, I thought pokemon was great (the original series anyway), and it was really original in its time.
I do understand why most other people hate it though.
What's that up your nose?
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Magus » Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:29 pm

'Tiner, I will say this yet again. You're writing reads like anime. And, again, this is neither a bad or good thing. It just is. It's your style and can be easily identified by it. I find it amusing but seems to fit you at the same time.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ranryu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:03 am

It has impacted my writing style a great deal.

I have spent the last few weeks trying to remove most of my anime influences. Mainly for the fact that I now have an on going story that has a way to powerful main character that now needs and extensive back story to get into believability. When it is read it has a distinctive anime feel to it. I do not wish to be regarded as a cheap knock off writer with a good idea.

It is so far a decent story though a bit eccentric.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Dr_Love » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:32 pm

Are you talking about the story with 'Ranryu' in it? The one you mention sometimes when we are talking?
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Talon Sinnah » Tue Sep 13, 2005 1:50 pm

Hey man if it is the story I am thinking of(which it probably is)all you need to do is tone down the eccentricness, add a bit more seriousness, and tone down a few powers. That is how I made my Talon stories seem unanimeish. Of course I steered away from that style for the simple fact that most anime is diseased with wierdness and stupidity.*cough*TRIGUN*cough* Once you get further into the story then your writing style will become evident. It is pretty simple. Get an idea, don't like the way it sounds, change the sonofabitch. :smt074
I am the poet of the body and I am the poet of the Soul. The pleasures of heaven are with me and the pains of hell are with me. The first I graft and increase upon myself, the latter I translate into a new tongue.

-Walt Whitman-
Talon Sinnah
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (9)

Postby Ranryu » Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:10 pm

I'll do that.

Let's see add wire here and there then add electric.

'BOOOM'

Its alive, Haha.
When in Doubt Reload and Repeat.

(\__/) This is Bunny.
(='.'=) Cut, copy, and paste bunny onto your sig.
(")_(") Help Bunny gain World Domination.
Ranryu
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Next

Return to Anime