speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Anime that will be adapted into live action

A distinct form of animated storytelling, anime has legions of fans worldwide.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Anime that will be adapted into live action

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Found this on http://eva.trivialbeing.net/:

Nov 30 2004, 04:12 PM Other live action features
Posted By: FofR
Comments: 32 :: View & Add Comments :: ^ Top ^

While evangelion is staying quiet for the moment, other anime features are being announced as "in development".

So here's the rumor list so far:
Evangelion
Tetsuo
Transformers
Dragon Ball Z
Battle Angel
Gundam

Yes Gundam: Aint it Cool News. There's nothing really concrete about any of these movies so far, although James Cameron has stated his next project will be Battle Angel.

I also heard that a Lupin the 3rd will be released in 2006. Here's the story: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5248

posted on 2004-07-19 13:21:37
source: Natsume Maya
According to a Yomiuri Shimbum article, Hollywood's live action Lupin III movie will be released in late spring 2006.

For live action Last Exile: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=6159:

posted on 2005-02-11 18:48:39
Patrick Macias also writes in his blog that GDH (Studio Gonzo) tells him that Joel Silver is looking into a live action version of Last Exile and that "there’s much Hollywood interest" in Speed Grapher.

Live Action Speed Racer: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5139

posted on 2004-06-25 14:48:52
source: Reuters
Vince Vaughn convinces Warner Bros to Green Light Speed Racer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After a decade of false starts, Warner Bros. seems to be ready to give the Green Light to a live action adaptation of Speed Racer. Actor Vince Vaughn convinced WB to give the project another chance after pitching them a new idea for the franchise. Vaughn's Speed Racer would focus more on character and plot development than fast paced racing scenes that are much more expensive to produce.

In addition to serving as executive director, Vaugh would also take the part of Racer X, Speed's long lost, mysterious older brother. Vaughn told Variety that he had "been a fan of the show since I was a kid and I always liked the theme of the protective older brother who can't reveal his identity," suggesting that the movie's script would revolve around the relationship between Speed Racer and Racer X.

WB's live action adaptation of Speed Racer has been canned by the studio several times in the past. It had previously been attached to directors Gus Van Sant, Hype Williams, Alfonso Cuaron and Julien Temple. Temple even had Johnny Depp ready to star in the movie, but the project was cancelled because the racing-centric movie's budget was too high.

The new movie's script has not yet been written (no script writer has been hired) and the cast has not yet been selected (excepting Vaughn).

Live Action Witch Hunter Robin:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4541

posted on 2004-01-20 11:28:44
Live Action Witch Hunter Robin Confirmed for Sci-Fi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anime Nation has been contacted by Joe Menosky, writer and producer for numerous Star Trek series, and informed that the Sci-Fi Channel signed a deal with Sunrise for the rights to a live action remake of Witch Hunter Robin.

The deal was closed only this past Friday, Mr Menosky will write the series and also act as executive producer along with Mr. Roy Lee (responsible for the remake of "Ring") and his business partner Doug Davison.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=4830

posted on 2004-04-06 13:22:18
source: Cinescape
Sci Fi Channel production to air in 2004 or 2005

The Sci Fi channel announced several of their new shows for 2004 and 2005, confirming earlier suggestions that they were producing a live action TV-series based on With Hunter Robin. As was stated on Anime Nation in January, Roy Lee and Doug Davison, jointly reponsible for the American Ring remake, will executive produce the TV series. Anime Nation also stated that Joe Menosky, writer and producer for numerous Star Trek series, would write the series and also executive produce it, we don't yet have confirmation of this, nor do we know how many episodes the series will run or when it will air.

New Live Action Transformers Updates:

From http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?id=30776

Bay To Helm Transformers?

Ain't It Cool News reported a rumor that Michael Bay (The Island) is in the running to direct a feature-film version of The Transformers. Citing an anonymous source, the site added that Bay may have an edge over the other rumored contender for the job, Roland Emmerich (The Day After Tomorrow).

DreamWorks, which is developing Transformers, is supposedly pleased with Bay for his work on The Island, his upcoming SF action film starring Ewan McGregor and Scarlett Johansson. Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy are both attached to produce the film, and they're currently supervising a rewrite of the John Rogers script by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who wrote The Island and who are best known for their work on ABC's Alias, the site reported.

From http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=19785:

UPDATED! AICN EXCLUSIVE! Sing Along! ‘TRANSFORMERS! A Film By Mi-chael Baaaaay!!’
Hey everyone, Harry here... I'd like to clarify something here. I, Harry, am not Moriarty - and nearly every day of my life I thank my maker for this. Heh. As for me having some automatic hard-on for Michael Bay - this is partly true. I enjoy BAD BOYS, love ARMAGEDDON and THE ROCK, have a great deal of distaste for PEARL HARBOR - mainly because the film was so *beep* broad in trying to be everything to everyone - while ultimately succeeding in nothing but being pretty... and BAD BOYS 2 - I feel is one of the most wonderfully fascist evil fun flicks embracing right-wing paranoia and running with it. THE ISLAND could be fun as hell, love the cast - but personally I'm more interested in seeing what Singer ends up doing with LOGAN'S RUN. As for TRANSFORMERS - there are few directors that wallow in the joy of things going boom in quite the way that Michael does. Michael gets what sound an engine makes that turn ya on and makes ya drool cool. As for Moriarty not being a big Transformers geek... I think this is just more evidence that Moriarty was never a child. He has just always been a big old fuddy duddy, who loved THE IRON GIANT. Personally... I just want to see Optimus Prime in live action right now. TRANSFORMERS rule, but SHOGUN WARRIORS, GIGANTOR, G-FORCE and STARBLAZERS are kinda what I broke my teeth on... but TRANSFORMERS, it was the bright light of cool around the time Lucas was sucking my life out with DROIDS and EWOKS, where NBC went SMURF crazy - and I was left loving DUNGEONS & DRAGONS, SPIDER-MAN & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS, HE-MAN G.I.JOE and TRANSFORMERS. The last two had the best assortment of stories and characters... and most importantly the best toys. And most of the time, G.I. Joe characters interacted with my Transformers! We'll never get a franchise cross-over though... dammit! I had a dinner with Tom DeSanto down here in Austin right before this franchise was announced and he and Murphy definitely have the best interests in mind. And with Bay - maybe he'll get Stan Winston to build full-size robotic Transformers!!! Which one day will be sold on EBAY - and then you can try... try to out bid me on them! But you will fail, yes... yes, Optimus will be mine! Puny mortals!
Hi, everyone. "Moriarty" here with some Rumblings From The Lab...
I want to update the story. As I understand it, things are not confirmed. The original story I ran was partially correct. I want to emphasize, though... I think Michael Bay is a great choice. And I'm not Harry. I've been hard on Bay for some of his films in the past. Even so, I think there are about six guys in the business who can shoot a film this size, and even if you don't like Bay's story sense, he can shoot the *beep* out of a film like this. Fans overreacting against the choice strike me the same way they did when they chased him off SUPERMAN... they're missing the point. Who better to shoot hardcore Americana iconography than Bay? Look at ARMAGEDDON, for god's sakes. He would have been perfect for SUPERMAN.
And I think he'll be ideal for TRANSFORMERS. He'll make the robots sexy. And the script is in good hands. Since the very beginning of this, both DeSanto and Murphy have been very vocal about what fans can expect in terms of characters and general storylines, and it sounds like they're going to deal with the classic line-up that fans prefer. I'm not a TRANSFORMERS fan myself... I think I just missed them during the '80s for whatever reason... but I can respect the size of the fanbase. It's huge and it's hungry. They want a TRANSFORMERS movie. There is a whole generation of guys who cried when Optimus Prime died who will see this thing over and over and over, and kids will just plain like the robots. So, fingers crossed that things do come together the right way. Dreamworks isn't planning to lowball this thing, and the potential hiring of Bay should give fans hope that they're going to get the biggest, craziest TRANSFORMERS film they could hope for. Now, here's the original story, in which I was wrong entirely about Emmerich:
A little birdie at Dreamworks gave me a call today and just sang and sang and sang. Now, at first, I decided to be skeptical of anything the birdie said because of the date. April 1st, I just let the phone ring most times. But this is someone I’ve known for a while, someone who most assuredly works where they say they work, someone who has been listening in on some recent meetings in which it appears Dreamworks has narrowed the list of potential directors for TRANSFORMERS down to two names, both familiar to fanboys worldwide.
Roland Emmerich is evidently eager to do the film, but I hear he’s about to get shut out in favor of Michael Bay. If I was a betting man, I’d put my money on Bay. Word is that Dreamworks is mighty happy with THE ISLAND, and they want to reward Bay by handing over a franchise they see as a major priority at the studio. Tom DeSanto and Don Murphy are both attached to produce the film, and they’re currently supervising a rewrite of the John Rogers script by Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci, who wrote THE ISLAND and who are best known for their work on ALIAS.
So go ahead... be skeptical. I would expect nothing less on this calendar date. But when they finish up with all the paperwork and the smoke clears, I’m sure it’ll be one of these two guys, and I’m leaning towards Bay as the winner. Let’s see what happens next week.
"Moriarty" out.

Live Action Battle Angel:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=3480

posted on 2003-04-17 08:47:55
According to Moviehole, James Cameron has confirmed that he will direct 'Battle Angel Alita', "Battle Angel is a very real possibility, and that's the film that I fully intend to direct, that I *will* direct ? the issue is will it be the next film, or will it be the one after the next film? That's really all there is to it at this point. We've done a tremendous amount of design for the film, we're fine-tuning the script, it's just a matter of time." He also mentions the likelyhood of more than 1 part. Thanks to Fred for this info.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5762

posted on 2004-11-22 12:57:14
source: Ain't it Cool News
Battle Angel to be his Next Feature Film

In an interview with NPR, about his "Aliens of the Deep" Imax documentary film, James Cameron was asked about his next feature movie, "Battle Angel."

In 2003 Cameron confirmed that Battle Angel was in pre-production, and in the recent NPR interview he states that Battle Angel, " We're in pre-production right now on a project called Battle Angel, which is something I've been working on for several years, and we're just finishing up the shooting draft right now, we've been designing it, its a big science fiction film. A couple things that will be interesting about this project, even though its a live-action film, the main character will be done with CG animation, and the second thing that's interesting is that we'll be shooting it in 3D using the stereo imaging system that we've been developing for the documentaries."

In the past Cameron has stated that he would like to do more than one Battle Angel movie and that motorball, a central plot point of the third part of the Gunnm manga, might make its way into the plot towards the second Battle Angel movie.

Thanks to Charlie D. Cheung for pointing this out.

Samurai Girl Real Bout High School:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/article.php?id=5547

posted on 2004-10-02 00:00:37
source: Anime on DVD
According to the latest TokyoPop press release, Tokyopop has announced plans for an upcoming Samurai Girl: Real Bout High School live action film featuring actress Melissa Joan Hart. Tokyopop and Hartbreak Films are seeking partners to assist in the production, which is still in its early stages of development.

There were rumors going around about a Live action Sailor Moon Movie that was going to have Geena Davis involved, but fortunately (or unfortunately if you like the series. I hate the series.) it never got off the ground.

Here's links for the Live Action Aeon Flux Movie:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=4852

http://www.aeonflux.com/

Live Action Neon Genesis Evangelion movie:

http://eva.trivialbeing.net/

Mar 30 2005, 03:05 AM Narrowing down the release date
Posted By: Kaworu Nagisa
Comments: 50 :: View & Add Comments :: ^ Top ^

From ANN's Kamikazecon report:

"As expected, a large portion of questions revolved around the live-action version of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Greenfield confirmed that the project was very much alive, and they were currently in the process of finding a director. While naming no names, Greenfield did confirm that interest has been shown by several major directors, including one who has won an Oscar. He also mentioned that the probable location of the shoot would be New Zealand, the same country where WETA, the studio slated to create special effects for Evangelion, is located. When asked how soon the movie would be finished, Greenfield indicated it would be at least a year, most likely 3 or 4."

Feb 21 2005, 09:44 PM Peter Jackson a possibility?
Posted By: The Eva Monkey
Comments: 134 :: View & Add Comments :: ^ Top ^

Hi there, estranged moderator Eva Monkey reporting.

This past weekend (Feb. 18-20) I took a trip down to Crystal City to host an Evangelion panel for the Katsucon anime convention. Among other topics we discussed the Live Action Evangelion film.

Please note that the following is an unofficial source and should for now be treated as nothing more than rumor.

One of the attendees claimed to have an associate currently interning in WETA's prop shop (for lack of a better term). He claimed that WETA artists have produced more than just the conceptual artwork we've seen thus far, including some preliminary 3D models and so forth.

Also of interest is that the word around the studio is that Peter Jackson is indeed interested in directing this project, however due to contractual agreements with Universal (?), he is currently tied into working on King Kong, and is unable to head up Live Action Evangelion, and may well be in line or have vouched for Live Action Eva once King Kong's production closes.

Once again, this is pure unsubstaniated rumor, and should be taken with a grain of salt. The possibility for Peter Jackson's direction may exist, according to what I was told. However, this is not a credible source and needs further verification.

Due to the lack of news of late, I felt it neccessary, if for no other reason than to give you something to think about.

Personally I'm waiting to see the live action Transformers Movie, and the live action Evangelion movie. The problem I have with the live action Evangelion movie is this: The changing of the characters names!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: Asuka will be known as Kate Rose, Misato as Susan Whitmall, and Rei as Ray (no gender change though). They will keep Shinji's name. Daniel "Harry Potter" Radcliffe has been cast as Shinji.

The story of Evangelion will still be set in Tokyo-3

My choices for Director are:

Peter Jackson
Alfonso Cuaron (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
Paul Verhoven (Robocop, Total Recall, Starship Troopers)
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:57 pm

YAY! YAY for Transformers and Witch Hunter robin!

Which Gundam, do you know? By any chance could it be the all mighty Gundam Wing?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:02 pm

Magus wrote:YAY! YAY for Transformers and Witch Hunter robin!

Which Gundam, do you know? By any chance could it be the all mighty Gundam Wing?

The Original Mobile Suit Gundam

Spielberg is going to Executive Produce the Transformers movie, and there was a rumor going around for a while that he would direct it. Another rumor was that Robert Zemeckis, who directed "Forrest Gump" and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?", was going to direct.

Here are some concept art pics from the live Action Evangelion Movie courtesy of http://eva.trivialbeing.net:
Last edited by Anime Trekker on Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings to Make Me Tame." -From Hellsing Ultimate

Please visit my Facebook page. (search under the name "Talya Marsh" if you cannot get there from the link)
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:12 pm

I don't mean to spam.

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:14 pm

For "Fist of the North Star" fans, a Live action version was made in 1995:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3121

http://imdb.com/title/tt0113074/

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:00 pm

The second to the last one looks like Wing Gundam a little.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:17 pm

Here's a concept art design pic of what Optimus Prime will look like in the Transformers movie:

The question I have is which Transformers series are they going to use as a basis, Generation 1 (The Original Transformers), Car Robots, Armada, Energon, or bits and pieces from all of them?

Other Characters I would like to see in this movie:

Megatron (The original version)
Bumblebee (from Generation 1)
Soundwave (The original version)- I liked how Ratbat, Laserbeak, and Ravage could eject out of his body like audio cassettes
Starscream
Hotshot
Ironhide
Omega Supreme
AstroTrain
SkyFire
Hot Rod- Became Rodimus Prime after Optimus Prime was killed in 1985's Transformers the Movie
Ratchet
Ultra Magnus

Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Magus » Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:48 pm

YES!!!

I LOVED Hot Rod, he was always my favorite character. But, I don't know why, but I loathed Rodimous Prime with a passion.

I'd also like to see Cup and the Dinobots. OH! And the Constructacons!

But I wouldn't be too disappointed if they did it post-movie, with Junkdacons and Galvatron.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Dr_Love » Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:16 pm

The DBZ live action movie should be pretty easy to deal with. Mostly all that changes is fighting, hair style, and the whole Kai thing...energy whatever.
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Anime Trekker » Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:07 pm

Here's the Cast List for the live action Transformers movie:

Shia LaBeouf as Sam "Spike" Witwicky

Bernie Mac as Bobby Bolivia

John Turturro as Simmons

John Voight as Secretary of State Keller

Josh Duhamel as Commander Lennox

Kevin Dunn as Sparkplug Witwicky

Megan Fox as Mikaela

Michael Clarke Duncan as Officer Figueroa

Tyrese Gibson as Epps

John Robinson as Miles

Rachael Taylor as Maggie

Travis Van Winkle as Trent

Zack Ward as Donnely

Amaury Nolasco

The movie will be directed by Michael Bay
Anime Trekker
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dr_Love » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:33 am

I think that all of these are on the way cuz graphics are done with comps now and it's quicker and easier to do than when cartoon first started....
"They are a curious thing, these emotions. How they fly in the face of logic, how they overrule the most basic instincts. Because, in the measure of time, in the measure of humanity, we sense those self-indulgent instincts to be a weakness, we sense that the needs of the community must outweight the desires of the one. Only when we admit to our failures and recognize our weaknesses can we rise above them. Together." -Drizzt Do'Urden
Dr_Love
True Visionary
True Visionary

Return to Anime