speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Horcruxes?

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Horcruxes?

Postby Bmat » Wed Apr 12, 2006 6:39 pm

We should have a thread for conjectures about the Horcruxes.

JKR has said the Sorting Hat is NOT one.

What are the horcruxes?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Merle » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:58 am

OK, there would be six of them. One was the ring, which is destroyed. A second is the Tom Riddle Diary, which is destroyed. A third is Nagini, the snake, as speculated by Dumbledore. A fourth is the Locket, likely looted from Grimmauld Place by Mundungus Fletcher. That leaves two, one of which is almost certainly the cup, leaving a final artifact from either Griffindor or Ravenclaw. Harry has four horcruxes to find and destroy before he can hope to destroy Voldemort.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Sindatur » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:03 pm

Only a "True Gryffindor" could summon the Sword, so I think that pretty much leaves that out. (Or was that Fawkes that only a true Gryffindor could summon?)

I'm not so sure about Nagini. I'm thinking Nagini may end up explaining the whole Ancestor/Descendant thing, as suckling on Nagini and Nagini being from way back, may make Voldemort his own Grandpa, so to speak (Remember Parsel Tongue is a Slytherin trait, is there a snake in the family somewhere?). So, that would mean Nagini as a Horcrux is a Red Herring, the Gryffindor/Ravenclaw one will be obvious, and the one replacing Nagini will be the one that will shock the heck out of us.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby HulloKitty202 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:14 am

I'm sorry to jump so late into the conversation about this topic (Only 5 months :D ) But could Harry himself be one? Voldemort did put bits and pieces of himself into Harry at the beginning of the saga.
"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present"
-Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes"
HulloKitty202
New User
New User

Postby Sindatur » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:53 am

HulloKitty202 wrote:I'm sorry to jump so late into the conversation about this topic (Only 5 months :D ) But could Harry himself be one? Voldemort did put bits and pieces of himself into Harry at the beginning of the saga.

That is definitely a popular theory. If this is true, it makes it unlikely Harry could kill Voldemort and live. He would need to find a way to rid himself of his Horcrux-ness, or kill himself at the same time he kills Voldemort, such as grabbing hold of Voldemort and throwing both of them into the Veil, for instance.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby HulloKitty202 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:36 pm

Sindatur wrote:
HulloKitty202 wrote:I'm sorry to jump so late into the conversation about this topic (Only 5 months :D ) But could Harry himself be one? Voldemort did put bits and pieces of himself into Harry at the beginning of the saga.

I agree. And it would defintly fit with all of Rowling's alleged "tragedy" angles that she has mentioned for the past few years
That is definitely a popular theory. If this is true, it makes it unlikely Harry could kill Voldemort and live. He would need to find a way to rid himself of his Horcrux-ness, or kill himself at the same time he kills Voldemort, such as grabbing hold of Voldemort and throwing both of them into the Veil, for instance.
"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present"
-Hobbes from "Calvin and Hobbes"
HulloKitty202
New User
New User

Postby Nomad » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:30 pm

I hadn't thought about Harry beingf a Horcrux...but it does kind of make sense, although it would have had to have been an accidental spell mixed in there somehow.
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bmat » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:23 pm

If Harry is one, then why is Valdy trying to kill him?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sindatur » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:34 am

Bmat wrote:If Harry is one, then why is Valdy trying to kill him?

Well, for one, it wouldn't have been on purpose, almost certaily, so he may not know.

plus the Prophecy says Harry is the one to destroy Voldemort, and that neither can live while the other does, so Voldemort knows his ultimate plans will never be realized while Harry is alive. Plus in all literature, if you hear a prophecy about someone being destined to kill you, you try to kill them first, and in alot of stories, that attempt to kill them is generally what sets them on their path or gives them the power to kill you.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Bmat » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:04 am

Starting on page 504 of Half-Blood Prince (US version,) we are given a thorough discussion of Horcruxes.

The diary, the ring, the locket, Hufflepuff's cup, and two more.

One from Gryffindor or Ravenclaw. And Dumbledore says he knows that the Sword of Gryffindor is safe. So it is likely some other artifact from Gryffindor, or it is something from Ravenclaw. (The last sentence is my comment.)

Then Dumbledore conjectures that although V may have intended Harry's death to be instrumental in making another Horcrux that V failed. That V then needed to make the 6th, and so he killed the muggle and probably made Nagini the receptacle.

Two other comments that I thought might be significant are that V does not know when a piece of soul is killed, that is when a Horcrux is destroyed. And that V gets weaker with every division of soul. I suspect that these may help Harry in his final confrontation with Valdemort.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Harry Potter