speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

What's the big deal?!

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

What's the big deal?!

Postby DarkFairy » Sat Feb 10, 2007 4:36 am

Why are people so into Harry Potter?! I find it so lame! I've seen all of the films that are out and I still don't actualy kanow what it's about. Just some wizard! Why are people so into it anyway?!
You Can fall from the sky.
You can fall from a tree.
But the best way to fall,
Is in love with me.
DarkFairy
New User
New User

Postby FantasyMan » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:36 pm

try reading the books it helps :roll: movies are hard to understand alot of the time
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Re: What's the big deal?!

Postby Sindatur » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:47 pm

DarkFairy wrote:Why are people so into Harry Potter?! I find it so lame! I've seen all of the films that are out and I still don't actualy kanow what it's about. Just some wizard! Why are people so into it anyway?!

The first 2 or 3 books are really fairly light fair, and the first 2 books, are seemingly standalone. By the time you read the 3rd book, you realize how much ground work went into the first two books, and as you read further, you see more foreshadowing and clues. So, it's not just a Fantasy story about good vs. Evil, set in a Magical world, it's also a great mystery to unravel all the foreshadowing and clues.

The movies, are fine as movies, and they are a good reminder of alot of the important parts of the story, but, they are Reader's Digests versions of the story, they are pale by comparison to the books.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Bmat » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:53 pm

I skimmed through the first book and wasn't impressed. When I saw the movie, though, I was enchanted with Hogwarts and the atmosphere, and with Harry's sense of wonder. So I read the novel again, and I liked it.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:17 pm

I've seen the movies and enjoy them. Even if there are enough plot holes that I could fit my ego through.

That's a big hole, people!

I find the world that's been created to be an interesting one, but have yet to read the books and have a question. Ok, I've got two. The first one is...

WHERE ARE THE SMEGGING STAVES!

But the more lucid question I have is...were the books originally written with a young (early teens) audience in mind?
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Re: What's the big deal?!

Postby Qray » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:22 pm

DarkFairy wrote:Why are people so into Harry Potter?! I find it so lame! I've seen all of the films that are out and I still don't actualy kanow what it's about. Just some wizard! Why are people so into it anyway?!

There's that whole "underdog" thing that's fairly prevelant throughout the series.

People love that.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Sindatur » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:38 pm

Qray wrote:I've seen the movies and enjoy them. Even if there are enough plot holes that I could fit my ego through.

That's a big hole, people!

I find the world that's been created to be an interesting one, but have yet to read the books and have a question. Ok, I've got two. The first one is...

WHERE ARE THE SMEGGING STAVES!

But the more lucid question I have is...were the books originally written with a young (early teens) audience in mind?

She says the series was always intended to increase in darkness as it went forward, she was actually writing them for herself. It was the Publisher who chose to specifically target kids. Of course in the earlier books, since the Trio are younger, and the books are written through Harry's perspective, the earlier books would be lighter and seem more aimed at younger readers.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Harry Potter