speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Question about Half Blood Prince title

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Question about Half Blood Prince title

Postby Bmat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:37 am

I plan to read it again before the next book comes out, and I was thinking about the title- Half Blood Prince.

I don't really see why it had that title, other than to invite speculation before it was published. The fact that we discovered who it was who called himself half-blood prince was not significant to the book, was it? Nobody else called him that, right?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby shadow » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:14 pm

I thought it was so odd too - I mean, it really played such a small role in the story itself. You'd think Harry Potter and the Horcrux, or something would be more appropriate.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
-Thoreau
shadow
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Re: Question about Half Blood Prince title

Postby Sindatur » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:36 pm

Bmat wrote:I plan to read it again before the next book comes out, and I was thinking about the title- Half Blood Prince.

I don't really see why it had that title, other than to invite speculation before it was published. The fact that we discovered who it was who called himself half-blood prince was not significant to the book, was it? Nobody else called him that, right?

Well, the Potions Book, belonged to the Half-Blood Prince. Snape was a Death Eater, which is uncommon for a half-Blood, that's kinda like being a jewish Nazi, and we got to see that Snape is indeed quite skillful in Magic, what with the hex he created that slashed Draco Septum..something or other (Never before have we actually seen him really display magical prowess over and above potions (and of course the Legili/OccluMencys). We also saw a Chapter from Snape's point of view where he took the Unbreakable vow. The book was very heavy with Snape knowledge, and he got the DADA job finally, which we knew meant he was leaving school.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Question about Half Blood Prince title

Postby Bmat » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:42 pm

Sindatur wrote:Well, the Potions Book, belonged to the Half-Blood Prince. Snape was a Death Eater, which is uncommon for a half-Blood, that's kinda like being a jewish Nazi, and we got to see that Snape is indeed quite skillful in Magic, what with the hex he created that slashed Draco Septum..something or other (Never before have we actually seen him really display magical prowess over and above potions (and of course the Legili/OccluMencys). We also saw a Chapter from Snape's point of view where he took the Unbreakable vow. The book was very heavy with Snape knowledge, and he got the DADA job finally, which we knew meant he was leaving school.

So, perhaps the significance of the title was not the mystery of who was the HBP but rather the importance of Snape in the book?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Sindatur » Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:26 am

I would definitely say the book taught us an awful lot about Snape. I think the Unbreakable vow he took for Draco, shows why he has been so loyal to Harry, despite the way he treats him (He's never let any harm come to Harry). I think he took an Unbreakable vow to protect Harry, and that's why Dumbledore has always trusted him so much.

I think Spinner's End being told inSnape's point of View was very telling (Although I'm not sure we understand yet, what she was telling us)
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Merle » Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:26 am

"Half Blood Prince" gives a clue, I think, into Snape's character. We know from Harry's occlumency lessons that Snape was bullied as a child, and saw his mother being bullied by his muggle father. He wound up in Slytherin, also odd for a half blood. We learned that Snape would have identified with Voldemort because both had muggle fathers and witch mothers. I think that Snape calling himself "Half Blood Prince" shows how much he needed to be revered, even though no one liked him. (In this regard, he was different from Voldemort, who had a circle of worshippers as we saw in Slughorn's memories.) Snape feels quite inferior, IMO, and makes up for it by his nastiness.

Sindatur, you and I will agree to disagree about Snape's motives. 'Nuff said there.

Oh, and does anyone else think the slashing curse Harry tried out on Draco was the same one Snape used on James Potter in "Snape's Worst Memory?" Remember, Snape slashed James's face before he got hauled up by an ankle.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Sindatur » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:36 am

I will say, I will find it a bigger twist to find out Snape was being self serving or acting on Voldemort's behalf in killing Dumbledore. I honestly felt like HBP was telling us Snape didn't want to do it (even willing to take the consequences of the Unbreakable Vow, by not completing Draco's task), but, was acting on Dumbledore's orders
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Harry Potter