speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Why DID Dumbledore have Jame's cloak?

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Why DID Dumbledore have Jame's cloak?

Postby Bmat » Sun May 20, 2007 2:49 pm

From JKR's site:

NAQ
... which means, 'never asked question'.

Why did Dumbledore have James' invisibility cloak at the time of James' death, given that Dumbledore could make himself invisible without a cloak?

Prior to posting this I had a quick look on-line, and realised that some fans have been speculating about this question. However, nobody has ever asked me about it, and they really should have done. Just to allay the fears of the justifiably suspicious, this isn't what we in the know call 'a Mark Evans situation.'* There IS a significant - even crucial - answer.

Has this been answered already? If not, anybody have speculation?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby aldan » Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 am

Well, MY speculation is that the Dumbledore that was slain wasn't the REAL Dumbledore, but instead was someone else either transformed or under an illusion. The cloak, perhaps, being a magic item, wouldn't transform or be covered by the illusion... or something.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Merle » Mon May 21, 2007 8:59 am

That mystery hasn't been answered yet, Bmat. It is to be answered in Deathly Hallows.

Dumbledore heard the prophecy, and would know that there were two boys who it could refer to: Harry or Neville. Until V marked Harry, it was still up in the air. So one would assume that V would go after both families. We know that the Potters hid their residence. Did the Longbottoms also do this? And why, if James knew V was hunting him, would he give away his invisibility cloak? I have no speculation on why, just those few background thoughts.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Return to Harry Potter