speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Harry Potter Theme Park

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Harry Potter Theme Park

Postby Dark Knight » Thu May 31, 2007 9:56 pm

All aboard for the Harry Potter rollercoaster
LONDON (Reuters) - J.K Rowling, who became the world's first billion dollar author on the back of Harry Potter's success, has given the go-ahead for the creation of a Florida theme park dedicated to the schoolboy wizard.
"The plans I have seen look incredibly exciting and I don't think fans of the books or films will be disappointed," Rowling said of the Orlando park that is scheduled to open in 2009.

The park is a joint venture between Warner Bros Entertainment, whose Potter films have so far grossed more than $3.5 billion worldwide, and Universal Orlando Resort.

In a statement rich in entertainment hyperbole, the builders of "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" said they planned to "create the world's first immersive Harry Potter themed environment."

Barry Meyer, chairman and CEO of Warner Bros. Entertainment, said: "Over the years we've received thousands of letters from fans around the world wishing they could visit Hogwarts (School) and the wonderful locations described in each of J.K. Rowling's beloved stories."

The park's opening could help to quell the withdrawal symptoms of Potter fans around the globe who have bought 320 million copies of her wizard tales and turned every one of the films into a box office hit.

Pottermania is set to scale new heights in July with the last novel hitting the bookstands and the latest film being launched in a deluge of global publicity.

"Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," the final installment in her hugely successful series, is being released on July 21.

Rowling is to mark publication with a moonlight reading for fans at London's Natural History Museum.

Sweepstakes are being conducted by her British publisher Bloomsbury Publishing Plc and American publisher Scholastic to pick the winning fans.

"Harry Potter and the order of the Phoenix," the fifth film in a blockbuster series based on the books, is being given its official world premiere in London on July 3.

Rowling, whose books are always released under tight security, has said two characters will die in the seventh and final book but she has refused to give any clues.

The author has appealed to people to keep the end a secret: "I want the readers who have, in many instances, grown up with Harry, to embark on the last adventure they will share with him without knowing where they are going."

U.S. authors John Irving and Stephen King were so worried about the fictional hero's fate that they urged Rowling to spare the bespectacled hero.

from http://nz.entertainment.yahoo.com/070531/5/k3i.html

What do you think, is this going to far?, or will you be the first in the line to get in?
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Bmat » Fri Jun 01, 2007 5:14 am

I wouldn't be the first in line, but I'd go once the crowds calmed down a bit.

:)
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:48 am

I saw this the other day, and J.K. Rowling seems to be excited about the plans... but I don't know...
I feel like it has the possibility to be overly cheesy.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
-Thoreau
shadow
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby aldan » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:16 pm

Of course, it'd be even cheesier if it was in Wisconsin....

I think that the timing for the theme park is lousy. By the time that it's finished, the last book will have been published for two years. That is much too long a space to work with for keeping the consumers' interest in the whole HP thing, IMO.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Bmat » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:37 pm

Aldan could be right. The public may be on to a new interest by then.

There was a place we saw at Myrtle Beach, S.C. this summer that the article brought to mind. I'd have tried it if it had been open.

Here is a description that I found online.

MagiQuest
Your adventure in MagiQuest begins as you choose your very own magic wand. Then, learn how to harness your wand’s powers and embark on a journey into the 20,000 sq. ft. kingdom of MagiQuest where your wand can enchant over 250 different artifacts and effects. Gather Gold! Complete rune quests so that you may rescue the unicorn, battle the goblin king, return the jewels to the princess and for the truly courageous, battle the mighty red dragon himself. Do you have the courage to take up your wand and embark on your own magical adventure?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby shadow » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:14 pm

That place seems much neater to me - more of a generic magic themed park. I looked it up, and it looks fun too - kind of a live video game.

Despite the fickleness of America's attention span, I suspect it will still generate interest - after all, there are still two more movies after this summer's release. Also, I suspect there is a younger HP generation that is aware due to the movies, and has yet to get into the books. My younger sister, for instance, loved the first two books and movies, but my father has been holding off on the next few as he's worried some of it is a bit too old for her.
"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
-Thoreau
shadow
Casual Poster
Casual Poster

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:40 pm

I think the books will still be popular in that time,

However a few years down the track...

And theme parks usually build new rides every so often, how are they going to get new ideas for rides?.....

Well I am not going to go all the way to America, just to visit the theme park....

but if sometime in the future I happen to be over in the USA, in that area, then maybe....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Sindatur » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:13 am

Well, for one thing, it's additional "Theme park theme" being built alongside existing theme park themes, so it's only part of a theme park complex, if you will.

Are not the Hobbit and their universe books still big sellers? What about Star Trek and the Star Trek Experience? The impression I have gotten is that it's not so much about rides, but, overall HP Environment. Sure, maybe this would've been better timed coming out early, but, I honestly don't think it's be a financial loser, since it's not a completely new theme park being built, but rather a new theme added to an existing theme park.
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Re: Harry Potter Theme Park

Postby Golden Knight » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Well they missed the scheduled opening in 2009, but now it is finally open. It opened Friday June 18, 2010. Opening a few months ahead of part 1 of the last move. There was a big crowd for the opening. Here is some info on the rides:

The park's marquee ride, Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, is filled with special effects as it takes guests on a flight through Harry's life, including encounters with Dementors and a dragon, and projections of characters from the film like Dumbledore, headmaster of Hogwarts.

The park also has two roller coasters, Flight of the Hippogriff and Dragon Challenge, as well as themed stores like Honeydukes confectionary and Ollivander's Wand Shop.
from Crowds flock to Harry Potter theme park
My Site: God's Golden Knight, Learn about God's Love

{Formerly "Dark Knight" at these forums}
Golden Knight
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Nomad » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:38 pm

Now that Ive been I think its great there... The Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey ride was fun. Also loved the dragons roller coaster, however it is simply a rename of the Double Dragons coaster that was already there as well as the Hippogrif. Still fun for all.
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Merle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:31 am

The castle attraction is fantastic. Pure and simple. Otherwise we just enjoyed soaking it up. We waited in line for the wand shop and that was fun
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Return to Harry Potter