speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Why does Harry return to the Dursey's?

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Why does Harry return to the Dursey's?

Postby Starfire » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:06 pm

Just before the movie and book came out, I was having lunch with a coworker. She said the teens in her house were fighting over who was going to die in the next movie and book. I told her what I thought was going to happen and why. She then asked me why does Harry keep going to live with his aunt and uncle? Why not go stay with Ron or Hagrid or someone else? I could not really answer. Does anyone here have any thoughts?
Starfire
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby who me » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:04 am

Dumbledor also had Harry live with the Dursleys because he was so famous in the wizard world. Dumbledor thought that it was important that Harry grow up normal, and stay out of sight.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Qray » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:55 pm

From a writing perspective, it could simply be that Rawling uses Harry staying at the Dursleys as juxtaposition to the happiness he feels at Hogwarts. And she uses all the protection mumbo-jumbo as explanation to this end.

Or perhaps she feels that starting each book with Harry there comforts the reader. Such as the title score and yellow letters of Star Wars flashing on screen reminds a viewer how a Star Wars movie starts.

Or maybe she was just too lazy to think up a different beginning to her books. :mrgreen:

You're not alone though, Starfire. Even Stephen King, who is quite impressed with the series, has commented that he's "a little tired of discovering Harry at home with his horrible aunt and uncle," in every book.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby who me » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 am

harry potter is in the end formula fiction, the stories follow the Same pattern book after book. only the last book slightly deviates form the pattern.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Re: Why does Harry return to the Dursey's?

Postby lovesaphira » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:33 am

Well Dumbledore knew that Harry would be in trouble with Death Eaters and maybe even Voldemort when he returned, so he placed a charm on Harry that worked with the protection Lily gave him so that as long as he was living under the protection of a blood relative, he would be safe and Voldemort and the Death Eaters couldn't touch him.
Petunia was Lily's only living relative so she was the only choice for Harry. The charm would stop working when Harry turned seventeen.
Dumbledore wanted Harry to go back and live with the Dursleys even more so in the fifth and sixth year holidays coz he knew Voldemort would try to get to Harry if he wasn't protected.
I think at the end of the fourth book Molly Weasley asked Dumbledore if Harry could stay with them but Dumbledore said no for the above reasons. hehe
lovesaphira
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Harry Potter