speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Dearthly Hollows -spoilers-

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Dearthly Hollows -spoilers-

Postby who me » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:21 pm

I have finished the Deathly Hollows.
I liked it, the only thing that disappointed me a little was that Snape was not a traitor in the end.
I really liked him as a villain.

I thought that the Deathly Hollows would be a place, and that is where the final show down between voldermorte and harry would take place, sort of a swampy place with old roman ruins in them.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Merle » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:38 pm

pim, I agree about Snape. I think Jo wrote herself into a corner, and had to engage in a lot of awkward exposition to explain how Snape could be working for Dumbledore. Having two of the last four chapters as total exposition was not up to Jo's usual standards, IMHO.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:46 am

I thought all along that Snape was loyal to Dumbledore, and I had guessed his love for Lily.

I didn't think that the book was as well-written as the previous books. It seemed to have been written in a rushed manner. I thought the camping out part dragged too much.

I was really sorry that so many characters that I liked, died, but I can understand that it was necessary to set a grimly serious stage.

The Deathly Hallows (the items) didn't ring true for me. They seems to be tacked on the story. I can understand how this happened, the books were not written all at once, and perhaps it was difficult to bring the story to a close without the extra device, but I would have liked to have had some clue about the existence of the Hallows before the last book for the sake of continuity.

We did know about the cloak, but when Ron first saw it he didn't remark anything about its being a special invisibility cloak. I suppose that he may not have realized that it was, of course.

We were all geared up for the search for the Horcruxes, to add an additional quest for the Hallows seemed odd, to me.

I am very glad that the trio survivied. I would have been satisfied, but curious, even without the epilogue, but I was glad to find out how they were doing later on in their lives.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby who me » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:02 am

the camping part was rather drawn out and seemed to have no point that i could tell, I thought that Harry and company would leave England, perhaps looking for allies. I thought they might have stayed with Victor Krum for a bit.

it would have been better if the Deathly hollows had been hinted at a little more in earlier books.
I also thought that the coincidence of the slitheran ring being a horcrux and one of the deathly hollows was a bit of a stretch.
now if voldemort had known about the deathly hollows and known that the ring was one of them it would make more sence and perhaps explain why the Gaunt family had hung on to the ring at all costs. could be a hint as to how they had achieved the mental state they had
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby FantasyMan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 am

SPOILER!

-
--
---
----
-----
------
-------
--------
---------
--------
-------
------
-----
----
----
---
---
---
--
-

I wish Tonks hadnt died :(
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place
FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:15 am

I think that we are OK with spoilers in this thread since the title says spoilers.

I agree about Tonks. Her and Moody and especially Hedwig and Dobby. Ouch. :(

I wish we'd seen more of Tonks. She was fun.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Sindatur » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:19 am

From what I've seen, it seems that Dobby was the hardest death for most readers (Funny thing is so many people hated the character and wished him dead for all the things "He's done to Harry"). I was very saddened by it, because I had always believed that Dobby would lead the House Elves into the Final battle, at just the right time. It really warmed my heart to see Kreacher doing exactly that. Funny thing was, I was afraid to tell anyone I was so affected by his death, for fear of being ridiculed, and then I read post after post of people saying it was the worst death for them. I'm glad Molly got Bellatrix, I just wish she'd suffered a bit more knowing Voldemort was gonna be defeated.

Hedwig was really hard for me too. partly because I have feared for her life since OotP and also JKR kept mentioning how angry she was with Harry for not letting her out, and I kept yelling in my mind, "just let her find her own way and meet up with her later", and then all of a sudden she was dead, just like that. That coupled with the fact that I was so angry with Rita Skeeter for trashing Dumbledore's name right before, and Harry thinking back on Sirius and Dumbledore, then finding out Moody was also dead, all with the first 80-100 pages, and I had to put the book down and stop reading for the day. Then I went and saw OotP Sunday Morning, and I started crying seeing Moody assembling the team to pick up Harry (and of course seeing Hedwig in the movie).

I enjoyed the Epilogue, I thought the sickenly sweet tone of it was refreshing after the emotional roller coaster of the book, allowing us to walkl away from the series with a good feeling. I do wish it had gone more into their careers and some of the other characters as well, although she did answer those things in followup chats (available on Leaky Cauldron).
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby who me » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:30 pm

I really did not like the epilogue. it should have been longer, or left out.
my epilogue would have been... Luna lovegood discovers crumple horned snorkstack.
Minister of Magic Arther Wesley today announced...

I thought Dobie's death was the best one actually form a writing point of view. he stopped the knife that was supposed to kill harry, being a free elf he did not have to do that.
now I thought that the silver knife would end up in Bellatrix's back delivered by Dobie's mother.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Postby Nomad » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:59 am

Dobby's Mother? Hmmm.. imagine a mothers scorn..then imagine a free house elve with all thew magic that gos with it...a mothers scorn...brrrr
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby who me » Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 am

Dobbies mother is not fee she works at Hogwarts, and was deeply ashamed of dobbie for braking with tradition.
who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Re: Dearthly Hollows -spoilers-

Postby Dark Knight » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:52 pm

Well this be the first time I read this topic, the rumor was true, I did get BK7 for Christmas, and have now finished reading it... I think it was good for me to have a long break after read BK 6...

I did like the book, however part way through I did get the feeling, like Harry did that I was not getting anywhere, one horcrux and it was not even destroyed....then it speed up...

I like the epilogue, but would have like it to be longer...find out what happened to the others.

All that side issue to do with the Hallows, seemed in the end pointless, but the book was called "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows", but it seem like a side issue... maybe it should have been called "Harry Potter and the Horcruxes"....Surely if they where so important then voldemort should have known, and been trying to get them all, and we should have know about them in the earlier books...

After all the fighting the last battle seemed anticlimatical... I mean? that was it? come on? where is the big battle?

As I read it I kept thinking, maybe Snape is not a traitor...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Dearthly Hollows -spoilers-

Postby Dark Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:15 pm

After all the fighting the last battle seemed anticlimatical... I mean? that was it? come on? where is the big battle?

Thinking on it a bit more, I think she backed herself into a corner, how was Harry going to defeat voldemort, a much more powerful wizard, there was not the twin cores or the connection between the two, because Harry was no longer a Horcrux, and of course this connection had to go before the final battle. Hence the need for another way, the unbeatable wand.

There is a line in the book, that comes from another book, but she does not mention the book that the line comes from... It is in chapter 22 The Deathly Hallows

"the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"

When I read the line, I thought I had read something similar in the bible. I was correct here is the line from the bible

"The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death" 1Corinthians 15:26 King James version.I don't like that version but anyway maybe a footnote should have been put there?
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Next

Return to Harry Potter