speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Which is your favorite HP movie so far?

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Your favorite movie so far is

Sorcerer's Stone
100%
Chamber of Secrets
No votes
Prisoner of Azkaban
No votes
Goblet of Fire
No votes
Order of the Phoenix
No votes

Total votes : 3

Which is your favorite HP movie so far?

Postby Bmat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:39 pm

I still think that Sorcerer's Stone is my favorite. The music, the looks of wonder on the children's faces, Hogwarts, make an enjoyable time.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:22 pm

Goblet of Fire was interesting as we got to see the other wizardly schools.

Prisoner of Azkaban introduced Gary Oldman who greatly impresses me with his acting ability.

Order of the Phoenix (which seemed like two hours of filler) also returned Oldman, introduced Natalia Tena as Tonks (great casting there,) and featured a couple of the best battle scenes of the franchise.

But I'd pick the Sorcerer's Stone (Philosopher's Stone, for you pim) as my favorite for much the same reasons as you Bmat. As it was an introduction to the HP world, we got to see all the wonderment for the first time, and it also seems like it's the least rushed of the films.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Bmat » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:34 pm

I wish that they had been able to have more about Tonks in OOTP. They showed some of her changes, but it was so fast that someone not familiar with the books might not notice.

I like the actors, in general. I like Lupin, Sirius, Mad-Eye, Luna, as well as the basic cast, except for the new Dumbledore. I preferred the first Dumbledore who was more dignified and confident.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Qray » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:16 pm

And they only touched on Tonk's clumsiness twice in two very breif instances. However, a movie is what it is. A time limit to tell a story. A breif collection of snapshots from the book.

I'm right there with you in thinking the casting was outstanding for Order of the Phoenix. Evanna Lynch as Luna Lovegood being another excellent choice. I look forward to seeing both Evanna and Natalia, as well as David Thewlis and Brendan Gleeson in the next movie.

I also agree with the changes in Dumbledore, but wonder how much of it is Michael Gambon and how much is in the actual writing of the character and how he changes throughout the series.

It would've been interesting to see what would've happened with the Dumbledore character had Ian McKellen accepted the role. If he would've insisted on changes to the character and what they might have been.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Bmat » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:19 am

I saw an interview with the new Dumbledore... not sure where, probably on one of the DVD's. Unless I misunderstood what he was saying, the personality is his doing, not direction.

Dumbledore probably would show some worry and would change somewhat. I don't think he would have the energy, the liveliness, the extrovert characteristics of the new DD. To me an old old wizard who had pondered and plotted, would be reserved. As I said above- dignified. Maybe mystical is the word I am looking for. The old DD seemed grandfatherly to me. The new one seems more of an uncle.

Maybe this is too early in the morning for me to think logically. :lol:

My husband, on the other hand, says that he can't tell any difference between the two DD's. I say- but he looks and sounds differently, and his personality is different!
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Return to Harry Potter