speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

I'm still disappointed in Deathly Hallows

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Reading Deathly Hallows again?

I already read it again.
13%
I plan to read it again.
No votes
I may read it again.
38%
I probably won't read it again.
38%
I have not read it.
13%

Total votes : 8

I'm still disappointed in Deathly Hallows

Postby Bmat » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:46 pm

It is the only one of the series that I haven't re-read. The others, I read them again immediately after finishing them, and then another time or two after some time had passed. This one I just don't feel motivated to read again.

I thought that after giving it a rest that I'd want to read it again, but it hasn't happened.

I felt that the long time hiding was a waste of time (my time) and that the ending drifted too far into fantasy, not my favorite.

What are your feelings? Can you convince me to read it again?
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Qray » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:16 pm

I don't plan to read it again.

To be honest, I only started reading the series because I enjoyed the first movie I saw and there was such a hype behind the books that I wanted to see what the story was like.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the series was good enough and worth the price of the books. However, I didn't find it to be great. After reading Deathly Hallows, I feel that I've picked up all the information and nuances that were there to find. So I won't discover anything new in rereading it.

Also with some books I like to reread them just to re-immerse myself in that world and "hang out with those friends a little more," but I honestly don't think I'd get that type of enjoyment out of rereading Deathly Hallows.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Merle » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 pm

I felt a bit like I'd been "had." I may reread it, but not for a long while. I thought having two of the final four chapters as pure exposition was sloppy. I had believed that Snape had to be a "bad" guy, because for her to cast him as a "good" guy, she'd have to engage in a lot of sloppy exposition. And she did.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:36 pm

Actually I still have not read the book, I have not even brought the book... I did enjoy reading one through five, but not so much six.... I also start to read them after seeing the first movie...

One may think that now I am unemployed I would have time, but I do have to look for another job and other stuff, besides I have other books that I have that I have not read yet....

I am not into rereading books for some reason, maybe a time thing, or the fact that there are so many other books out there...just not some thing I usually do....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby KillRoy » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:39 am

I feel like we got ripped off. The ending was rushed,but J.K. did take the time to leave the ending hanging for her daughter to finish the story
KillRoy
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:19 pm

KillRoy wrote:I feel like we got ripped off. The ending was rushed,but J.K. did take the time to leave the ending hanging for her daughter to finish the story

Good point. Even though JKR said she wouldn't write any more HP, maybe her daughter would.

Your feelings about getting ripped off make sense, too. I felt the book wasn't up to the previous books. There is such a thing as sequel drift- sequels drifting away from initial good writing, and I wonder if this is the case here. Whether JKR was tired or unmotivated or rushed...I don't know. But I wasn't left with a feeling of satisfaction- possibly in part due to so many deaths.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby waytanblee » Sat May 17, 2008 3:22 am

I tried to download the deathly hallows off the Internet before it came out because I was so excited. It wasn't bad, but then I bought the book and the first one I'd read turned out to be a fake.

The thing is that the fake story had its merits and there were a remarkable amount of similarities between the two. The fake was even better in some respects. It concentrated on the relationship between Harry and Ginny and Ron and Hermione a lot more than the real one. I think it's sad that Rowling is no longer able to far out do her fans in the writing of her own work. But then again, she isn't super human.
waytanblee
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (5)

Re: I'm still disappointed in Deathly Hallows

Postby lovesaphira » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:24 am

lol, i'm the only one who's read it again. lol. according to the vote thingy.
Well i liked most of it. But i thought the ending could have been better. Through all the situation harry and Voldemort have been through the only thing she did at the end was expelliarmus? i mean come on. The meeting in GoF was better than that and DH was the climax to the whole series.
lovesaphira
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Harry Potter