speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Warner Bros VS Mirchi Movies

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Warner Bros VS Mirchi Movies

Postby Dark Knight » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:17 pm

India's 'Hari Puttar' and the US lawsuit
11:01AM Tuesday August 26, 2008
By Arifa Akbar

The film studio Warner Bros has taken umbrage at the title of a Hindi film called Hari Puttar - A Comedy of Terrors for its resemblance to the Harry Potter franchise.

A Mumbai-based production company, Mirchi Movies, is intent on releasing its Hari Puttar title, on September 12.

Warner Bros has filed a lawsuit, with the case due to be heard by the Bombay High Court.

Deborah Lincoln, a spokeswoman for Warner Bros, said: "Warner Bros values and protects intellectual property rights. However, it is our policy not to discuss publicly the details of any ongoing litigation."

But voices in India insist the provenance for the Hari Puttar film is not the boy wizard created by J K Rowling but a comic name that was created after the release of the first of the Harry Potter films.

"Hari is a popular Indian name while 'Puttar' means 'son' in Punjabi," Munish Purii, chief executive of Mirchi Movies, said.

"Since the case is sub judice, we can't comment," he added.

"However, we registered the Hari Puttar title in 2005."

- INDEPENDENT

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/category/stor ... d=10529074
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: Warner Bros VS Mirchi Movies

Postby Kyrie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:46 am

They shouldn't have a problem with it. There are a lot of spoofs made of movies. It's not the same name, not the same exact story, but maybe Warner Bros could win since they have a lot of money. I don't know how much power Mirchi Movies has.

Lol...I remember "Shawn of the Dead", and "Dawn of the Dead". The first one was British I think, and a spoof of the latter.
Kyrie
Just Registered
Just Registered

Return to Harry Potter