speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, NOT limited anymore

JK Rowling's wizard has captured the world's imagination.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, NOT limited anymore

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:45 pm

Rowling launches 'Harry Potter' spin-off
4:00AM Friday Dec 05, 2008

EDINBURGH, Scotland - The latest magical tome by J.K. Rowling has started to fly off bookstore shelves.

Rowling launched The Tales of Beedle the Bard with a tea party for 200 school children at the National Library of Scotland in Edinburgh, where she lives.

The author is donating royalties from the book to a charity, which hopes it will raise millions to help vulnerable children.

Recession-hit booksellers hope the book - a collection of five fables mentioned in Rowling's saga about boy wizard Harry Potter - will give them a festive boost.

"We expect it to come straight in at No. 1 and is very likely to be our No. 1 book this Christmas," said Jon Howells of Britain's Waterstone's book store chain. "It's in with a fighting chance of being the best-selling book of the year, even though there are only a few weeks to go.

"This is J.K. Rowling. None of the usual rules apply," he said.

Beedle the Bard is published in more than 20 countries, with a global print run of almost 8 million. But is generating only a fraction of the fanfare that greeted the Potter novels.

Rowling is donating her royalties to the Children's High Level Group, a charity she co-founded to support institutionalized children in Eastern Europe. The book is published on behalf of the charity by Harry Potter's traditional publishers - Scholastic in North America and Bloomsbury elsewhere.

Rowling, whose Harry Potter books have sold more than 400 million copies and been translated into 67 languages, wrote the Beedle tales after finishing Deathly Hallows last year.

One of the stories, The Tale Of The Three Brothers, is recounted in Deathly Hallows, in which the storybook helps Harry and his friends defeat evil Lord Voldemort.

Rowling has described The Tales of Beedle the Bard as a distillation of the themes found in the Harry Potter books, calling it her goodbye to a world she lived in for 17 years.

The book was initially produced last year in an edition of seven handwritten copies. Six were given away by Rowling as gifts, and one was bought by Internet retailer Amazon at an auction for almost 2 million pounds (US$3 million).

Amazon is printing 100,000 copies of a leather-bound collectors' edition priced at 50 pounds, or $100 in the United States.

- AP

from http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment ... d=10546608
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: The Tales of Beedle the Bard, NOT limited anymore

Postby Bmat » Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:02 pm

So who here is going to buy it? I think I will eventually, but I'm in no hurry.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:36 pm

I have no plans to buy it, still have not brought BK7, however there is a strong rumor I might get BK 7 for Christmas.... then I will have to get round to reading it... I suppose....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Qray » Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:21 am

The Collector's Edition is quite a nice piece of craftsmanship. The book itself is inside an outer case that looks like a leather bound wizarding textbook from the Hogwarts library. It contains 10 "ready-for-framing" prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations and a reproduction of J.K. Rowling's handwritten introduction. The exterior of the book is all Harry Pottered-up with a metal skull and corners, a clasp, replica gemstones, and an emerald page marker. All slipped inside a velvet bag embroidered with J.K. Rowling's signature.

The description of the book also states that there's 10 new illustrations by J.K. Rowling not included in the Standard Edition or the original handcrafted edition. Whether this is the same as the 10 "ready-for-framing" prints of J.K. Rowling's illustrations isn't made clear.

All this makes the book worth the hefty $100.00 price tag, but puts it out of my reach. However, the Standard Hardcover Edition is only $7.50, which is a great price for a hardcover book and the net proceeds of all the books goes to the The Children's High Level Group charity.

I'm on the fence about purchasing the book, though. I'm not a hardcore Harry Potter fan, but I like the books enough to have bought them. However, I wasn't all that impressed with the last book (Deathly Hallows) and I've been more and more put off by the actions of Rowling and her publishers. It's getting to the point that if you sneeze and it sounds anything like Harry Potter, they'll sue you.

I came to the realization that I wouldn't purposely go to the bookstore to buy the book, but if I happened to be there and saw it, I'd pick it up for $7.15. Someone said it's only being offered through Amazon.com, though. So if that's true, I doubt I'll bother buying it.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Merle » Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:39 pm

I saw them at Books and Company. We ordered ours from Amazon.

Q, I agree with you about the final book. I was extremely miffed that two of the final four chapters were pure exposition. JKR had done a much better job than that in the first six. I mean, you've written nearly seven novels, and at the end, you have to devote that much time to exposition? Gimme a break.
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.
Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Postby Bmat » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:02 pm

Merle wrote:I saw them at Books and Company. We ordered ours from Amazon.

Q, I agree with you about the final book. I was extremely miffed that two of the final four chapters were pure exposition. JKR had done a much better job than that in the first six. I mean, you've written nearly seven novels, and at the end, you have to devote that much time to exposition? Gimme a break.

Caution, spoilers for the last book follow:

I think this is largely the reason for my lack of enthusiasm. The last book was poorly done. The camping out part dragged on much too long, the exposition at the end, and I didn't much like the story at all.

[spoil]I didn't like the solution or the deaths.[/spoil]

In addition, as Q mentioned, the other actions also put me off.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Nomad » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:20 pm

Karina bought the book at Amazon. Came in today. I am 1/3 done witrh it. It is not what you would expect as writing from the Harry potter world per sew, but it is ok. It is what it is as mentioned in the initial descriptions from JKR. The addins from Dumbledore give it a good twist.
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Nomad » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:36 pm

Hi, Ok. While it is not what you may expect from JKR, it was a fun read. Especially, (reiterated), the comments from Rowling and "Dumbledore". Anyone agree?
-Nomad
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Bmat » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I ordered it used for a pretty good price, and it hasn't come yet. I'm glad to hear that it might not have been a bad purchase.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby Sindatur » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:25 am

I enjoyed it. At the opening, it seems quite juvenile, but, there's a lot more to it than originally meets the eye. Dumbledore's comments really connect it to the "series proper" and give you insight into some questions you may have still had after reading the "series Proper"
Sindatur
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Harry Potter