speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Monthly Writer's Challenges : Discussion

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:17 pm

10 more dys to go! Come on guys! there's creative minds all over the place, I know because I can hear them thinking! :wink:

Well I am creative I think?

I don't usually have the time, and I am still trying to finish Void's adventures....

BUT: I have thought something up, and I write something, but it was not finished and had problems, I decide to change it a lot this morning.... it should be ready soon to post...
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Bmat » Sun Mar 25, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm glad you got the story posted, DK! Very clever idea! It's fun to see what others think of for the given title. I never would have thought of your idea.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Bmat » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:12 pm

What a gentle story, Mikira! Well-written!
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Mikira » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:13 am

Thank you Bmat. :D
God doesn't make mistakes.
Mikira
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Llew » Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Very nice! :)
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58
Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Qray » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 pm

I want to thank Bmat, Mikira, Boikat, and Dark Knight for participating in March's Writers Challenge! Exceptional writing as always!

The new challenge for April is up and can be found here.

Again, I'd also like to thank the SV members who helped find pictures and came up with story titles for this month's challenge. If anyone has picture ideas, title ideas, or constructive criticism on the Monthly Challenges, feel free to PM me.

And remember, if you want a critique of your writing, please say so in your post.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.
Qray

Blog: View Blog (49)

Postby Qray » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 pm

I want to thank Bmat, LightBrigade, and aldan for participating in April's Writer's Challenge. Some great work, all.

I also would like to continue to that those that sugest story titles and offer images for the challenges.

June's challenge is up and awaiting your offering.

Prost.
Qray

Postby Qray » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:33 pm

RHFay wrote:Oh, I like the picture! Is it the Temple Church, by any chance? I think I recognize those effigies.

Yes it is. Quite a memorable location.
Qray

Postby RHFay » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:43 pm

Qray wrote:Quite a memorable location.

Alas, I only know it from pictures. To wander amongst the monuments to the knights of old must be an amazing experience. Perhaps I'll actually get there someday.

Chivalry is not dead, it only sleeps upon a marble bed...

(Oh no, could that be the start of another poem in the works!)

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Qray » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:42 pm

RHFay wrote:Chivalry is not dead, it only sleeps upon a marble bed...

(Oh no, could that be the start of another poem in the works!)

Go with it.
Qray

Postby RHFay » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:51 am

Oh, why don't we let somebody else try and work off of that if they like? This has been a fun diversion, but I really must get back to composing stuff for submissions to publications.

(I've got two poems in the works right now, I should start working on prose as well, and there's a brand new horror publication that just opened for submissions. This place wants atmosphere, twists and frights, not gore and profanity. It sounds right up my alley; I tend to write horror with the same sensibilities as the Victorian and Edwardian horror writers. If I can come up with something, I want to submit there soon.)

Though, it is nice to take a bit of a break from the "serious" stuff and do something just for fun. And I couldn't resist composing something inspired by the effigies in the Temple Church! :D

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby RHFay » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:56 am

Bmat wrote:As the Sea

Roderick dizzily leant against the sea-washed rock...

Hey Bmat!

That was a lovely short short story. I like how it moved from Roderick's determination to complete the mission, to the king's encampment, and then to the present. You managed to convey just enough background for the reader to feel for Roderick, without saying too much.

There are just a couple of typos, and spots where the word order might need to be changed a bit, but the actual storyline seems fine. My only big question is, does sea water actually stop bleeding? I guess it could if it was cold. I know salt makes wounds sting, even burn.

Anyway, the emotions in the story are handled well. The fact that it move effortlessly from the past to the present gives it a timeless quality.

Well done!

Cheers!
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges