speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Monthly Writer's Challenges : Discussion

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby RHFay » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:56 am

The warrior vein may tick a bit too strong in me sometimes.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bmat » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:12 am

Concerning Paramythia, the following is the fruit of a discussion I had with a friend:

A stylistic device in literature is a particular manner of articulating words to produce particular meaning. It is a manner of speaking and writing, in simple terms. Paramythia is a manner of speaking when telling a story.

For example, irony is a stylistic device aiming at making a contradiction obvious because it appears to be unnoticed rather deliberately. For example, in a case where the person whom it concerns displays hard-headedness, such as to refer to a Spanish national who is also a learner of Italian as a foreign language yet a poor speaker of her mother tongue, one might remark that her Italian is better than her Spanish. Irony differs from sarcasm in that sarcasm ridicules a natural handicap the mentioned person may do nothing about.

In literature, great authors often make an effort to reveal aspects of life and project ideals in the name of humanitarian values. To the less educated and to the more simple-minded who might benefit mostly, it is no use speaking in complicated sentences and dense speech.

The fable and the parable have been instrumental in this direction.

A perhaps equally widespread manner of speaking is a fiction story where the protagonist is a special person in some situation many people find themselves in. At first sight, it seems the protagonist or the story characters go through a unique situation. This aims at attracting the listener or reader. By the end of the story, it becomes obvious many people can be in the place of the story characters. Their adventure in the story will not necessarily end happily yet it will illustrate the humanitarian principles of the civilisation of mankind throughout the story development. Or other values and principles of some validity which the author may wish to expose. In this way, the story characters or the protagonist will hopefully be liked and admired, no matter how rare the case may appear at first. And after the listener or the reader understand they could well be or have really been in the place of the story characters, they realise they are special, too.

As every human being is.

This is paramythia.

A man went against the will of some gods and destroyed a city and caused loss of life of people whom the gods protected – different gods protected different families, they thought then. So valid his reasons were that he insisted for ten years before he achieved it. A noble man himself, saw much barbarity in this time, and tolerated it. He then decided to return home and tried forever. He would never reach his hearth again. It took him another ten years to find himself drowning at sea, having lost all his companions, all his means of survival, all hope. At this point, half-able to take a breath, he called out.

"Poseidon (his god), what do you want of me? Do you want my life? Well, take it, then! I have nothing else!"

(A king himself, of the most eminent and wealthy ones in all times, at that moment thinks he has nothing, no family which he has and no god either while he is speaking to his god!)

The waves formed a face (of the sea god, Poseidon), he thought, and he heard. "I do not want your life. I want you to understand that ..."

And a wave took him to the deep. "... that without god, man is nothing."

He woke up on a beach, good neighbours took him in and helped him sail to his home, to his wife and son, to his kingdom. After twenty years away from the hearth (for what good, what benefit to himself and the world the reader may wonder not yet knowing the good to be revealed), finally on the way home, the protagonist said.

"I am at last going home. But I know now that I am able to because the gods allow me to."

A contemporary might phrase it, "Your will be done."

This is why Homer is classic. You can read about this adventure in the Speculative Vision Library, Odyssey. If you do, you will read a paramythia
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby LightBrigade » Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:59 pm

RHFay wrote:The warrior vein may tick a bit too strong in me sometimes.

Oops! _Some times_ for me is true also, not only sometimes. *L*
- - -
*sitting by Bmat's feet, listens to the academic remark attentively, then ponders...*

Thank you! You also mentioned something about fragments in writing a story, when I asked in the Chat Room the other day. I did not save the transcript. I wonder if a synopsis would be too much to ask now.
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby RHFay » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:53 pm

LightBrigade wrote:Oops! _Some times_ for me is true also, not only sometimes. *L*
- - -

Oops is right!

My typing has some issues at times, especially when I'm feeling under the weather. I've been feeling a bit ill the past few days (a bout of otitis media), which may explain my combative mood.

Cheers!
"I'm going to do what the warriors of old did. I'm going to recite poetry!" Andrew of Armar.
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LightBrigade » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:07 pm

I wish you are well soon, RHFay. Care is necessary to do away with it completely for it may leave untraceable cores of infection behind.

*L* What's wrong with being combatant? I think it is of what makes one feel young, after all! *L*

(I must have missed to tell you I _just love_ playing with words. I use it either for a good cause or for humour. Here the difference you will certainly notice is not only humour. I mean it -- ~ive changing to ~ant. ) :lol:
- - -
Bmat, I feel your post above should receive as much readability as possible. Knowing the layout and function of this Site, is there somewhere else you might also post it, even as a comment with a link, perhaps? Something like "paramythia : what is it?"
Last edited by LightBrigade on Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When people agree with me, I always feel that I must be wrong. -- Oscar Wilde --
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Bmat » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:12 pm

I hope that you feel better soon. RH!

The following is information collected about fragments:

A fragment in language is a part of speech without any complete clause. It
is called fragment or phrase - depending mainly on the kind of English,
American, British, Pidgin etc.

A phrase is a number of words together without the presence of a verb and a
subject, while a sentence is a number of words together including a verb and
its subject. Even in the Imperative, where one word may appear, like in the
sentence “Go!”, the subject is meant. It is “you”.

In Microsoft Word and other similar word processing programs, the word
fragment is a standard for phrases. The Language checking tool in word
processors aims at helping the user both in Grammar and Syntax. As any tool,
it has no infinite capacity to suggest all kind of corrections and do it
accurately.

A fragment or a phrase is used in speech as part of a larger total that is
called a period in Brit.En. or a sentence in Am. En., which is a part of
speech between two periods (full stops in Brit. En.) or the beginning of
speech and the period (full stop Brit. En), meaning the following dot .

Where the word period means the final dot at the end of speech, a paragraph
is made of sentences and sentences are made of clauses. Where the phrase
full top means the final dot at the end of speech, a paragraph is made of
periods and periods are made of sentences.

A fragment is often used daily on purpose. A fragment is often found in
prose and poetry on purpose.

That a computer program recognizes a part of speech as fragment, may mean
that there is a complete phrase, an incomplete sentence or an unusually
stated period/total of clauses/sentences.

Of course, a complete phrase does not mean at all that speech is incorrect
at that point. An unusually stated period/total of clauses/sentences does
not in any way mean speech is necessarily incorrect at that point.

However, a computer program will usually indicate an anomaly there. One
might mistake such a computer signal for a definite error.

That an author uses a fragment, is not cause for concern _to an editor_.

Because an editor is aware of what a phrase or a fragment is and decides
whether what lies before them is the result of lack of Language control
before submission or a literature device of style used by poetic leave
towards an end, a purpose.

If the editor fails to see this purpose, the author’s work will suffer
mistreatment. Or even destruction.

“Or even destruction” is a fragment/a phrase. It is full in meaning, clear
and purposeful. An editor would have nothing to remark.

The last sentence above is NOT incomplete. The Adverbial of Place “here” is
omitted (… nothing to remark here) as an excess easily understood; for the
same reason why the (poetic) agent is omitted in Passive Voice as a rule.

The fragments in my story are for emphasis on what the knight is experiencing, so I am going to leave them in the story.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby RHFay » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 am

LightBrigade wrote:I wish you are well soon, RHFay. Care is necessary to do away with it completely for it may leave untraceable cores of infection behind.

The worst thing about my ears infection is that it's not supposed to be a problem adults typically get. I must have some anatomical quirk that makes me prone to ear infections. I've had them repeatedly throughout my adult life. Yes, I've been officially diagnosed with ear infections previously. Now when I get them I just wait them out, unless they get too severe (I believe most are viral, so time is the only real cure anyway).

I guess I'm just stuck with taking it easy for a few days, until my immune system takes care of the invaders.

Oh well, enough about me.

Cheers!
RHFay
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby LightBrigade » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:35 pm

Aware that this could well be considered a double entry since part of it appears in another post of mine in this Web Site, yet because there is purpose of good and progress, I humbly pray The Management and its authorised representatives generously allow this unique discrepancy.

Thank you.
- - -
My writing work which has been deposited in June's Monthly Challenge is a debate on quite real issues between two major religions, moreover of issues often perceived as causus belli. The didactic conclusion of this fiction dialogue is a mutual understanding towards Peace.

This work of mine is dedicated to the member of Speculative Vision behind the nickname Who Me for earnest endeavour towards progress.
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dark Knight » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:02 pm

Just finished thinking up my idea for the june story, the idea came some days back, but now it has fully developed, hope I get it writen in time....
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby LightBrigade » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:49 am

Dark Knight wrote:Just finished thinking up my idea for the june story, the idea came some days back, but now it has fully developed, hope I get it writen in time....

Wonderful! Please, try to make it in time. *encouraging look and a smile*
LightBrigade
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Dark Knight » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:21 pm

LightBrigade wrote:
Dark Knight wrote:Just finished thinking up my idea for the june story, the idea came some days back, but now it has fully developed, hope I get it writen in time....

Wonderful! Please, try to make it in time. *encouraging look and a smile*

yesteraday I went to a meeting, so no time to write it...

I have done a quick write up, today, but it is not finished, almost finished, just some minor details to sort out... ......hopeful have it finished tomorrow... cutting it close I know.... :wink:
Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby Bmat » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:16 pm

angolafool, I like it, too! What an interesting interpretation of the picture and the title!

The carpet that you mentioned provided an explanation for the whorls. The strangeness of the characters laced with a bit of humor help make the story appealing.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges