speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Lets get creative!

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Lets get creative!

Postby The Master » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:58 am

Weak from loss of blood and quickly realizing that he was not going to escape the wizard's magic Hugh slumped to the floor.

"You win wizard. What would you have me do."

"Ah good, we finally have an understanding," the Blue Wizard replied. With a wave of his hand the fire is gone, leaving Hugh to wonder if there really was a fire or if it had been nothing but an illusion. "Perhaps we should see to that wound before we talk further, hmm?"

The Blue Wizard grasped Hugh's forearm and began an incantation with his free hand, "This might be...unsettling," he warned just as a light engulfed them. When it cleared Hugh noted that he was now standing in a large and elegantly appointed bedroom before being overcome with vertigo and collapsing to his knees as he fought the desire to vomit. "Sorry about that. Longer distances take some getting used to," the Wizard said pulling Hugh back to his feet.

The Wizard helped Hugh over to the poster bed that dominated one end of the room as a servant, always alert to his master's presence, arrived in the doorway. "Fetch the doctor and prepare for our guest's stay Cedric," the Wizard commanded. Cedric, quickly noting the copius amount of blood rushed down the hall out of sight.

"I am not staying," Hugh protested.

"Oh yes you are," the Blue Wizard replied with a chuckle, "at least for a little while." The Wizard pushed Hugh back onto the pillow, "now rest. There will be time for talk soon enough." Hugh drifted to sleep nearly instantly at the Wizard's words.

"Are you sure he is the one?" a voice asks from deep in the shadows.

"Quite sure."

"And he will help us?"

"Of that I am less certain."

"You went to a lot of trouble to get him here," Sky said stepping from the shadows while taking a long look at Hugh's unconcious body. "And I don't appreciate what it cost me. If my involvement is discovered..."

"It won't be," the Blue Wizard interrupts. "We have been over this. You know the risks and the potential rewards. Now return to your King before he misses you."

Sky glared at the wizard and sneered, "I am not the only one with something to lose here wizard. Don't forget that." Fading back to shadow Sky opened a doorway, disappearing from whence she came.

Shaking his head slightly the Blue Wizard muttered to her retreating mist "I can never forget my dear. I only wish that I could."
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:42 pm

Hugh awoke to light streaming in from the battlement window and a fresh scent in the air. His shoulder was dressed in a bulky wrap and very sore, but there was strength in his hand, and only a little numbness. He attempted to swing his legs over to sit up on the edge of the bed, but being overcome by a wave of dizziness and nausea he had to lie back down. With care on the second try, he was able to manage a sitting position, holding himself up with his good left arm against a bedpost. Standing was the next challenge, but he was not sure that he could handle that.

"Aha! You're awake at last, sir!"

It was Cedric, arriving through a curtained doorway with a tray holding some hot porridge, several pieces of warm and savory bread, and a steaming pitcher of a dark aromatic drink.

"You should eat, sir ... you've been sleeping for the last 4 days.

"The medic was here and cauterized the wound, gave me some poultices and laudanum, and told be to call him when we saw the laudable pus.

"You have been doing wonderfully; healing like a charm, bouncing back much better than the last one."

He bustled about, setting up a tray, inspecting the wound, straightening up the bedsheets around his overwhelmed patient.

"There. Are you all set? I'll be back to check on you in just a bit. Ring this bell if you need anything."

Alone again in this opulent chamber, Hugh sat dumbfounded. But there was food, and he noted with some satisfaction that his appetite was normal.
He lifted the domed cover off the porridge and prepared to dig in, but next to the steaming bowl there was an envelope, smooth and white, sealed with purple wax.

On the frontis -- a firm but oddly stylized calligraphy with his name: Hugh Massecara.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:32 pm

Breaking the seal he began to read.

This may come as a shock to you Hughe so I advise that you take my words in slowly. For many years, you have been watched by a special league of Wizards and Masters from The Secret Order Of The Dragons. Your parents and their's and the ones even long before them, were all in our service, but you never knew that did you? No, that time so long ago when the great wars of the world took place and all was chaos, we lost you then. Your parents wanted you to live a mundane life like the common villagers away from magic and wars and all that makes the world turn. A shame really.

The time is upon us when we shall rise again to rule. You have the opportunity to learn great magic, to become a part of something powerful and the rewards will be great. Of that I can assure you. Take this in and think upon this offer. we shall speak soon enough.

Hughe dropped the paper to the floor. Stunned, he sat in silence.

Ever so slowly the door to his room opened and a maid entered. "You are in great danger." she whispered. "The people here are evil and will use you. I will do all that I can to help you escape." Without another word, the young maiden disappeared just as quickly as she had appeared.

It was all that Hughe could take. Surely he was losing his mind. He questioned what was real as the thoughts spun in his head.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JetMasta » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:30 am

After a while Hugh got up and walked towards his door. Upon opening it, he saw two heavily armed guards standing just outside.

"Are ye alright sir?"

Hugh stood blankly for a moment, "um...I was wishing to go for a walk"

"I'm sorry sir, my orders are not to let you leave this room. Well that is until-SHHHH!!" cried the other guard.

"You're not supposed to tell 'em".

The seconed guard turned to Hugh, "Im sorry sir, back into your room."

And with that Hugh was pushed back into his room. Back alone with his thoughts, Hugh started to work this problem out...
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:01 am

He aimed for revenge for his village being burned down for the new road. Even though no one had been killed in the fire, the villagers lost a good amount of the few valuables that they had, buildings that their long dead ancestors had built, the furniture, the implements needed for their professions. Now the villages huddled in tents and makeshift shacks. Their existence went from poor to destitute.

Hugh wondered about the high-profile wizards and magics being used to counteract his approach to the fortress. There was something going on there that was being carefully guarded.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:44 am

Trapped in his room and feeling restless Hugh began pawing through the copious collection of weathered books in the shelves at the far side of his room. Many were quite old and weathered. Some were in languages he did not recognize but were filled with the strange glyphs he had seen used by the Mages for various purposes. Others were more pedestrian...historical accounts, mathematics theory, comparative anatomy and the like.

Hugh choose one of the magic books that happened to be written in Standard and settled into a comfortable chair. As he sat leafing through the tome he felt a slight draft against his leg. Glancing about for the source he realized that it had to be coming from the bookshelf itself. Hugh cleared some books out of the way and knocked on the back wall of the shelf until he was rewarded with a hollow sound.

The shelves were concealing a hidden doorway.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Crystal » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 pm

He tried to push the book shelf. It would not move. Then he tried to pull. It moved, but barely enough to fit through. He heard voices in the outside hall coming closer. It's now or never he thought and squeezed his way in. For a moment he stood still and did not breathe. It seemed whoever was outside did not enter his room. At this point he turned around in the dark and began to feel is way along the wall. Though he hated to do it he needed to use magic to get some light if he were ever to get out of this. "Brisinger." he whispered and a small light rose to the ceiling and led his way. He could see that he was in a small hallway that led to a larger room.

Hugh walked cautiously along to see what was ahead. In the adjoining room he saw that at first it appeared empty except for a small wooden box. He was about to make his way back when he heard shouts coming from the other side of the book case. "Guards! Come quick! He's gone! He's gone!" Shouted a maid servant on the other side. "I could use this to my advantage" He thought to himself. :twisted:
Crystal
New User
New User

Postby Asp Zelazny » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:26 am

With the guards responding to the maid's call, Hugh thought he might be able to sneak down the hall and make his way to freedom. This hope was dashed as his ghost-light revealed no other exit from the chamber. High-domed, windowless and doorless: there were only 2 small vents high along the wall, clearly inaccessible. It wouldn't be long before the guards would notice the shifted bookcase; they were obviously not crack troops, but dim or not, they'd figure out the situation soon. The basic magics that he and every educated person knew would not serve him here.

He was weaponless, wounded, and clad only in a dressing gown and slippers -- not the best way to face armed men that had been charged with keeping him in his velvet cage. Their orders were likely nonlethal restraint; still, having worked both for and against their kind over the years, he knew that when their careers or even their necks were on the line, the restrainee's neck would probably go first.

But there was the box. There HAD to be a box: it was too perfect.

"Nope. Not gonna do it." The wizard had been playing with his mind for too long, this smelled of yet another trap.

He sat down on the box and waited for the guards to push back the bookcase and find him.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby JetMasta » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 am

LOL, Brisinger
XD
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby JetMasta » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 am

A few moments passed, then scilence filled the air. Hugh started to stir, thinking about the box. He got up and turned to face it. A sudden rage filled him.

"I WILL NOT LOSE TO YOU, WIZARD!"

Without a moments thought, Hugh had smashed the box. White light swirled around him, until it filled the room. Then a sudden force flew through him, causing Hugh to fall to the floor. Upon getting up, Hugh noticed somthing.

"Yes, you're outside. Dont you just love magic?" Lughed the blue wizard.

Hugh looked all around, it was true. How ever, that ment it was just the blue wizard and him self.

"So blue wizard, you have me... what is it you want?"
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:09 am

"Well, first of all I want you to put some clothes on. Secondly, let's get you into a disguise."
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:23 am

Hugh didn't understand why the Blue Wizard would choose a maid's dress for his disguise.

"I'm tired of these games Wizard! What is it you would have of me?"
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges