speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Lets get creative!

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Re: Lets get creative!

Postby Bmat » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:01 pm

The Dwarf, Boc, echoed the wolf's howls. He had long felt a strong attraction to Sky, although he had never shown it. He charged at Hugh, his axe held high. He swung the axe sharply onto Hugh's shoulder.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby The Master » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:43 pm

(sorry, my count was off...I thought I was waiting for one more person to post)

Hugh cried out as the axe landed on his shoulder. His chainmail partially deflected the blow preventing it from severing his limb, but the wound was large and painful. Boc, careless in his rage, swung the axe wide toward Hugh's head leaving the dwarf off balance. Hugh quickly rolled away, the axe driving into the earth where his head had been a mere moment before. Hugh kicked hard at the dwarf's exposed side sending Boc reeling. Hugh scrambled to his harquebus lying a few feet away and bracing it against the ground he turned it toward the enraged dwarf charging him once again.

A flash of gunpowder lit up Hugh's face as he fired his only shot.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Asp Zelazny » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:14 pm

*** Apollo cursed as he handed over 14 virgins to Gilgamish, 2 to Coyote, and one to The Ark to cover his bets. He was losing big: he had been sure the Blue Wizard's involvement, however limited, would have prevented Hugh from showing first blood. He consoled himself with the thought that it was still early in the game. ***

Boc was down. He had taken the harquebus' charge full in the chest, protected only partially by his Adamantite plating. He would recover and remember, but for now he would threaten Hugh no longer.

The yard was littered with bodies. The guards lay insensate, the spell slowly ticking down, but holding them yet. The white wolf, wincing from several broken ribs, licked worriedly at Sky's unconscious body, and whimpered as he tried to extinguish the sparks sputtering free from her form.

Hugh rolled over on his back, gritting his teeth against the pain. He would not cry out again and risk awakening any of the tenuous slumberers around him.

He needed to get out of there.

Tossing aside the now-useless gun, he wrenched the axe out of the ground with his good arm and cast about for an exit. Seeing a gap in the wall back near the stables, he limped back in that direction, slipped between the broken ramparts, and collapsed in exhaustion at the leading edge of the moat.

'Just a short rest ... I just need a minute' he muttered as he drifted off.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:57 pm

A young orphaned boy in a tattered brown cloak poked at Hugh. "I don't know who you are or what you have got yourself into, but you need a healer and right away Sir. I can fetch one if you are so inclined." The boy clutched tightly at the neck of his thin and shabby cloak as though it would somehow warm him against the cold and wind.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JetMasta » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:38 am

All Hugh could do, was raise his good arm and grasp at the boy.
"Please Sir, I need to hear an answer. Otherwise I am not premitted to help."

Hugh slowly raised his head to see the boy.
"I see you boy, please I beg of you. Find me aid."

The boy nodded his head and turned to go get the healer. However the boy just lingered for a moment, before falling to the ground. Hugh looked over to the boy and saw an arrow, lodged into the boys skull. With a look of complete horror, Hugh desprately looked for the attacker.
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:03 am

There, behind a barrel, was a man fitting another arrow into his bow.

Hugh pulled himself to shelter behind a pile of rolled up cloth and leather beside the opposite wall.

What was this? Hugh saw a tiny flash of light nearly hidden by the cloth. An arrow bounced off the wall just above Hugh's head. Hugh pawed at the light and found a long wand-like object.

Flash. There it was again. Hugh desperately thought, "Magic? But what...?"

Another arrow. This time lower, and missing Hugh by inches.

Hugh, in confusion because of his wounds, thought for an instant of his comfortable bed at home.

He felt as though he had been hit in the face by a strong wind.

And there he was. In his bed at home. "What is this madness?" Hugh thought. "Am I delirious?"
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Postby The Master » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:18 am

The wand glowed softly in his hand, drawing his attention. Realization swept over him as Hugh dropped the wand as if it had turned red hot. The movement sent fresh pain shooting from his wound reminding Hugh that he had a much more serious concern to deal with than errant wands.

Hugh pushed out of his bed and stumbled to his doorway just in time to hear a knock on that very door.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Asp Zelazny » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:35 pm

The most natural thing in the world would have been to open the door. The most natural thing ... but...
He leaned his back against the door and slowly slid into a sitting position, leaving a streak of blood against the painted wood. His sense of being was in tatters.

That orphan.

The one that tried to help him.

The one that he saw die.

It came to him that he himself had helped a wounded man outside of Templeton Castle when about seven years old ... he remembered binding the wound with his shabby cloak, and runnig to get help; and being rewarded by being taken in, and being given a home and education; a start on the road to where he was today.

But how could be alive then now, if what had happened had happened?

A bluish mist seeped under the door and coalesced into the Blue Wizard, who stood there and beamed at him.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Ariel » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:51 pm

"Though I saved you from any further harm, I can easily return you to your fate back there." The wizard made himself at home and sat in the high backed chair beside the leaded glass window. Leaning his staff against the sill, he gazed with intent at the frightened man.
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby JetMasta » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:02 pm

Hugh blinked rapidly, as to expect the blue wizard to disapear.
How ever the wizard remaind seated and just stairing at Hugh, as if waiting for the thanks that wizard desearved.

Hugh managed to stammer out-"what are you talking about? I need medical attention, or cant you see that...argh!"

Hugh attempted to move closer to the wizard.
JetMasta
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Just then, Hugh smelled smoke!

The wizard looked toward the inner door to the room. "My lad, I believe your house is on fire," he said, mildly.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

The Master is up next, but ....

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:18 pm

Maybe we should change the thread title to "Hugh's Terrible, Awful, No-Good, Very Bad Day" ?? :shock:
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

PreviousNext

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges