speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Writing Exercise/Challenge

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Writing Exercise/Challenge

Postby nightlock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:02 pm

In the past I've tried to challenge and exercise my literary muscles by using Oxford's Word of the Day as inspiration. This has had mixed results (some of the better ones are in the poetry section) since Oxford tends to pick archaic or very technical words. Also, modern times do not afford us the time to write on a daily basis.

I've since adapted the exercise, I collect the Oxford words from Monday to Friday, and then spend the weekend trying to use one or more of the five words as inspiration. I post results on my WordPress blog, but would like some motivation in the form of company.

I started past weekend, which gave me the following five words:
Sloven
Gyve
Baldric
Plongeur
Spill2 (being a thin strip of wood or paper used for lighting a fire, candle etc.)

The result of which can be found here.

If people are interested in joining me in these exercises, do tell, and I will post the next five words coming weekend.

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Writing Exercise/Challenge

Postby Bmat » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:22 pm

So it is only needed to use one of the words? The work should seem as an excerpt of a larger work? It might be fun to try to fit in all of the words, although possibly not as literary as your example.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby nightlock » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

Technically just one should suffice for an entry, but I'm trying for as many as possible. The writing could be anything, from poetry to a short story, to an excerpt, to a prologue. I don't include the words literally, but for instance the word Gyve (shackles or fetters) I simply included someone chained up, fettered and shackled. The difficulty (challenge) lies in trying to get as many of the words in your piece, while at the same time expanding your vocabulary through the little-used words that Oxford tends to picks for their word of the day.

Read New Awakenings

nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Theoballd » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:50 am

I've done these before. They can be fun, but I always end up hating whatever I end up with.
Theoballd
New User
New User

Postby Asp Zelazny » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I'm willing to take the plonge. Just not to feel gyved to the commitment. Nor to be taken seriously.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby nightlock » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:32 pm

One of the things I enjoy about this is the fact that when I write it will be the first, last and only draft, and as such rough in it's extreme. I edit as I go, deleting lines that do not work, keeping the ones that do. I've written some horrendous stuff doing this, but it's okay, because I've also written stuff I really like. It's like mining for rough gems and diamonds.

Read New Awakenings

nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges