speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Oxford Words Challenge #1

Structured collabrative stories written by forum members. Join in on these creative writing projects

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Oxford Words Challenge #1

Postby nightlock » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:42 am

'Rules':
  1. Use one or more of the word of the week.
  2. Any genre and any style goes.
  3. Enjoy.
  4. No planes allowed.

Words of the Week

Ganzfeld
Sippet
Booty
Legerdemain
Ersatz

Read New Awakenings

"This is here." :smt104
nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Blog: View Blog (3)

Re: Oxford Words Challenge #1

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:42 am

hm ... all but one of those words fit really well together (almost seems like a set-up). Still, I'm working a whole string of late evening/night shifts, so my mind is a bit foggy. I'll try to put something together in a few days.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby nightlock » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:10 am

Asp Zelazny wrote:hm ... all but one of those words fit really well together (almost seems like a set-up).

You mean some Oxford Dictionary employee regularly visits speculative vision, came across this challenge and figured (s)he'd screw with our heads by giving us agreeable words?

Could have done a better job, to be honest; I am drawing a blank.

Read New Awakenings

nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Asp Zelazny » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Those Oxford types have agents everywhere; heck, don't they work for the Queen (or are they on the other side? I forget)? They're worse than the Knights Templar. Wouldn't doubt they have quantum technology too.
Asp Zelazny
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby nightlock » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:59 am

It took me most of the weekend, but a flash of inspiration this morning and several hours of work (interspersed with bouts of procrastination and doing nothing) produced me a bit that continues from where I left of last week. Ehm, yes.... come to think of it, this was Oxford Words Challenge #2 for me, though it's the first I'm posting on SV. Go here for the terrible, terrible prelude, and then read this:
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“What do you mean, ‘you lost him’?”

Jack dunked a chunk of his crudely baked bread into the thick soup in front of him, scooping out a variety of what seemed at first glance to be vegetables. Daniel prodded his spoon around in the bowl in front of him, closely inspecting the vegetables therein and found them to be entirely unlike anything he had eaten before. He shoved the bowl aside, Jack eagerly reined it in and drained it in moments.

“What I mean is, that he knew he was being followed and used some kind of clever trickery to get away from me. One moment I was looking right at the back side of his head, the next it, and the Whig below it were gone.” Sounds of someone strumming some kind of stringed instrument started rose gently above the din of the crowded taproom. Jack turned around and looked about the room to find the source of the sounds. He found the culprit on the other side of the room, made eye contact and then a quick gesture. The musician nodded, and began a loud and bawdy country song about how eagerly blind and deaf prostitutes praised his musical prowess and looks. It appeared favourite among the crowd, who immediately set in and sung along with the verses, and laughed riotously in between.

“What about the item?” Jack used the drunken roars around him to shield this part of the conversation from prying eyes. Deciding that Jack was a bit too cunning for his liking, Daniel opted to feign ignorance.

“What item?”

A nasty look crossed Jacks face. “You know damn well what I am talking about, accountant. Did you manage to get your hands on it or not?”

“Oh, that.”

“Yeah, that.” Daniel noticed Jack managed to lay more stress on the second word than should, strictly speaking, even be vocally possible. It was a curious ability of the illiterate vagabond, reminiscent of horrid theatre performances, and slightly unsettling. Daniel imagined it had helped him during his daily dealings with the scum surrounding the Thames.

“His Lordship didn’t even notice it was gone.”

“Let me see, hand it over.” Jack spoke while his face was a perfect mask of greed, as though some ancient Greek actor wore his face, exaggeratedly carved from wood and painted white.

“Do you think me mad?” Daniel managed to look truly offended, “I left it at a safe place, I’m not going to walk into a place like this with something as valuable as that.”
Oxford Words Challenge #2 by Idigina is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Read New Awakenings

nightlock
Site Regular
Site Regular

Return to Collaborative Stories and Writing Challenges