speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

The Tavern of the Mealish Plains

Casual creative writing RP topics where first person/in character participation is the focus instead of classic storytelling.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

The Tavern of the Mealish Plains

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Mon Dec 26, 2005 9:19 am

All right by permission of Magus I am happy to open the Tavern of Mealish Plains. As the title suggests the tavern is located in the Mealish Plains area which is on the continent of Altari. The world it takes place on is Evergreen and there are many other lands and such but none will be listed unless needed. The Tavern is called simply The Tavern, the owner is Langston Kail, the cook is Quagmire and the server and cleaner is a boy named Sefhi. I will post descriptions and Info about the named characters later today if you would like to join and play let me know so we can work out your character sheet and we will go from there, I hope to see yall here!
Last edited by Bread Butterbeard on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Fifthwind, Terry Brooks, Legends
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby aldan » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:56 pm

A few questions to start:

Is this a fantasy-based world? Is there magic or is this a magic-free land? Is there tech, old or new? And are the Gods of the land more directly involved with their worshipers or do they just not do much? What are the races of this world? Are they the typical humanelfdwarfhalflinggnome sort of thing? Also, will this place allow half-devil/demons (I hope not, too powerful, IMO)? Also, what is the general style of the area? Is it Northern European, Southern European, Middle Eastern, Far Eastern, Amer-Indian (or Native American for those easily offended... I am half Cherokee, myself, and I'm not offended, but *shrug*), Northern African, Southern African, Asia Indian or Islander?

That should do for a start... *grin*
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain
aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:46 pm

Welcome aldan! To answer some of your questions,

1. Yes there is magic but it cant be typed into on a whim it must be learned and practiced as spells dont work just because you know the words.

2. Yes this is a fantasy-based world.

3. It may be possible to find some form of thec from long ago but not likely

4. There are only two gods, the Light and the Darkness, there are also Elders which are fae created by the Light to help the races grow. The elders or the Light and Darkness may or may not directly take part of everyday life it simply depends on the characters and their own beliefs.

5. There are the usual races of Human, Elf Dwarf Gnome and so forth, How ever I have created many other races to chose from, for people who wish to play I will send them a players guide, this rpg was created by myself and several friends and has been going for the last 9 years so there is a lot of things to learn, I am trying to cut it down but if you would like a players guide I will send you one via email or how ever ya like same goes for anyone else how may want one.

6. No, there is no half demons or demons allowed, only ones that will be played if any will be done so by myself as the GM or if anyone decides to help as a dm then they would be able to as well. I have several campaigns and deciding upon how many people show interest will depend on the campaign that I will run or we may just play our characters and see what happens, it all depends.

7. Northern European would be the best way to put it

Hope that helps ^_^
"The world you know is over Grandmaster Shard, will you stand and fight for your people, or let them slip into darkness?" Tartikoff Greenwood to Brayan James Shard

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:35 am

The people of the Tavern

Langston Kail- Kail has ran the Tavern for the last 25 years, he is old but none know his age. He has few wrinkles and sliver hair, he stands about 5'6 and weighs around 185 pounds. He wears a blue tunic with light brown pants, he has a sword that hangs back behind the counter of the tavern. The sword has a sliver lining with a golden hilt shaped that of a dragon, the dragon part of the hilt itself is made from white gold. This has lead many to believe there is more to their beloved tavern keeper than they know but none have asked out of respect thus far. Kail is known to speak Common, Elvish, and Dwarvish, it is not known were he learned Elvish or Dwarvish as it is not overly common in the kingdoms of men or their territory.

Quagmire- Is the Taverns cook and has retained that position after beating the then residing cook, a dwarf named Breking Hammerwise in a cooking contest, much to the surprise of all around since it was believed none could be a dwarf in the arts of food. Quagmire stands 5’8 is about 67 years old and weighs 220 pounds. His hair is mostly gray with specks of sliver strewn about it giving him the nickname, “Pepper” which he hates to no end. He is very grouchy and always in a bad mood but does serve up a good meal and will answer questions if asked even if you have to prod him a little to do so.

Sefhi- Was once a slave until Kail bought him from his former master while they had been staying at is tavern. Kail then set the boy free much to his former masters disdain, the boy has staid with Kail working and earning a decent wage so that he may set out on his own when he feels the time is right. The boy doesn’t speak much and tends to be overly obedient likely caused by his years as a slave. He is about 14, was 8 when he was freed, he has light blond hair and green eyes and a tanned skin. He is the average height for a boy his age and is strong and fit also likely due to being a slave but mostly from working at the Tavern.

The Dragons Inn Staff
The Dragons Inn is in the back of the Tavern and they are connected to each other, the Inn has its own Commons but most visitors tend to go to the Tavern for food anyways. The rooms are nice and go for about 12 copper a night, Kail also rents out 3 private rooms which are located on his farm which is about two miles from the tavern.

Berry Eldenwind- The Master cook of the Inn, Berry once served as the cook for the people of Almaden but after the Striga Goil war the memories of the fallen were to much for him and he moved to the Inn. He is mute but knows sign lang. Kail seems to know what the cook needs and wants without speaking to him or using sign lang. mostly due to the many years they have known each other it is thought. Berry wears a cooks apron light tan tunic with matching pants, he is always in a cheerful mood and almost always around to prepare you anything you’d like. He is 5’4 and weighs 175 pounds with light blue eyes.

Ginobili- A Gnome who is always tinkering with something earning him the name “Tinker Tot” By the Lady Jasmine who is a regular visitor to the tavern and the inn. He is 4’2 with light brown hair and dark brown eyes. He weighs about 200 pounds. He tends to the guests needs and takes care of the rooms for Kail.

The Residents

Boot- A Halfling Thief who rents one of the 12 rooms of the inn, though he is a known thief Kail allows him to stay upon some kind of agreement they had made. He has not stolen anything from anyone in a long time so he is mostly ignored which is to his liking. He wears a black tunic with matching pants. He is 4’2 and has lavender eyes, which is rare for a Halfling. He weighs around 200 pounds.

Fortmor Da’Jarnett- Once a Knight of the Black Guard of Gerisoua, he rents one of the rooms of the inn as well, he has given up his life as a knight due to the corruption that has seized his order. He is withdrawn to himself and rarely speaks but is polite. He is about 27 years old weighs 175 pounds, has Black hair with light blue eyes. He still has his Knights armour but does not wear it, he does keep his sword belted by his side and wears black clothing as all Knight’s of the Black Guard do.
Last edited by Bread Butterbeard on Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Believer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 11:37 pm

Well Taith, it sounds like you have a good roleplay going. I will be happy to join, and of course I will help you in any way i can, considering I know bit about it, and other information about it is easily obtainable. Ethyr'Ian eh? hehehe :D
Love: a temporary insanity, curable by marriage. -Ambrose Bierce-
Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:30 am

Winter had settled on the Tavern overnight it seemed, the day before the fields were green with grass but this morning a blanket of pure white snow covered the ground.

Langston Kail looked around his tavern with a smile. There had been no trouble or bar fights in a while and his current tavern goers always gave him cause to smile.

Kail swept the floors and cleaned the tavern up for the morning as he did every morning even though it was suppose to be one of Sefhi’s duties.

Today was going to be a good day, Kail just knew it.

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Believer » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:46 am

Strolling up to the tavern, Jasmines cloak was covered with a light mist of snow. Her hood was up, and only a few strands of raven black hair could be seen. With a swift shake, the snow upon her fell to the ground. Pushing the hood away, she revealed her natural beauty, the beauty of an elf. Her lavander eyes scanned the tavern slowly. A slight smile appeared on her face as she came across the owner, Langston Kail. "Good morning, tis a cold moring, doing your normal duties I see?" she asked.
Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:37 pm

Kail smiled as Jasmine entered the tavern as he always did.

"Hello Lady Jasmine, yes it is quite cold outside, I shall get a fire started here shortly, Quagmire should be rising soon and he will get you your usual if you like."

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Believer » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:24 am

A brighter smile appeared as Jasmine nodded slightly "How very kind of you". Not but a few moments later, you could hear the grumbling of old Quagmire walking into the tavern "I shall do my normal morning duties, unless there is something else you needed me to do" he said in his typical unpleasant tone. "Ah pepper, good to see you this morning" Jasmine said with an enlightened tone. Without speaking, Quagmire just nodded while his lip curled slightly.

Before Langston could turn around, the fire started to blaze behind him as Sefhi kneeling before it successfully taming it.
Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:08 pm

Kail smiled at the sight of the boy starting the fire, the lad was a good worker. Kail called the boy over and gave him his weeks earning plus a extra five sliver pieces as he always did.

"There you go lad now go over to the Inn and make sure everything is going alright over there."

Kail watched as Sefhi went to do what he was told and then chuckled at Quagmires gruff stance. He truly hated being called pepper and though he may not hate the elven lady he bordered on it but the two kept their tones even and courteous and so long as they did Kail was content to let the two banter back and forth.

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Believer » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:56 pm

Upon receiving his allowance, Sefhi nodded and smiled. Even though he gets the same amount, or near about it every time, he smiles as if it was the first. He greatly enjoys having the feeling that he was receiving something for his hard work, and was appreciated. with a simple "thank you" he ran off to the inn.
Jasmine just stood there and admired the boy. How happy he was to receive something she thought "He truly is happy here isn't he? He just loves it when its allowance day" she said to Kail as he ran off "he is a good young boy" she said in a sweet tone.
getting quite impatient, Quagmire went to the kitchen to start his normal duties.
Believer
True Visionary
True Visionary

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:24 pm

Kail turned to face Jasmine her breakfast in hand as Quagmire handed it to him.

"Here you go Lady Jasmine, hopefully its to your liking."

Kail sighed at the memories of what the boy had been through but Sefhi had come along way from those days.

"Yes he loves it and he keeps saving his money which will be good for him in the long run and yes I think he likes it, no doubt he will be here for many a season to come."

Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Role Playing