speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Armageddon cRPG

Casual creative writing RP topics where first person/in character participation is the focus instead of classic storytelling.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Postby t_tibke » Mon May 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Last edited by t_tibke on Tue May 16, 2006 2:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby t_tibke » Tue May 16, 2006 11:23 am

Alright.. the two main characters have been selected by Taith'Jacim and SchooltheOld.

Taith - Brill Flashcut
SchooltheOld - Core Moonshaft

If you others would still like to play, I will make some other characters available, though the plan is that these other characters will have a major part to play, but only for a limited time. If this does not seem that agreeable, I may be conviced to do otherwise.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Bread Butterbeard » Tue May 16, 2006 1:35 pm

Awesome job my friend!
Bread Butterbeard
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Combat Rules

Postby t_tibke » Wed May 17, 2006 4:21 pm

Game Rules
Feel free to read these over if you'd like. You don't have to if you don't want to, as the game will mostly be about the Role Playing, and the Gamemaster (I) will tell you when to make tests and how to combat monsters and such. Nevertheless, I just pasted some of this out of the Rules book.

Making Tests
Throughout the game, the Gamemaster will refer to making tests, or 1RPS’ing or B2/3RPS’ing. These terms are explained below.

Test: When something simply says to test, this means the opponent picks a number in their head, and you pick a number from 1 – 7. These numbers wrap around, so that 1 and 7 are next to each other on that number line.

…6 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 …

Skills are used to adjust this number, or allow the range of success to be larger.

• An average test with no skill, means that to succeed, the player testing must hit the Target Number or TN exactly, when guessing.
• An average test with a Lv 0 skill, means that to succeed, the player testing must be within 1 of the TN, when guessing. (i.e. 6 is within 1 of 7, and 1 is within 1 of 7).
• An average test with a Lv1 skill, means that to succeed, the player testing must be within 1 of the TN, when guessing. However, after an incorrect guess, the opponent must tell the player they have guessed incorrectly, and then the player may adjust that guess up 1 number, or down 1 number. This is called a Skill Adjustment.
• An average test with a Lv2 skill, means that to succeed, the player testing must be within 1 of the TN, when guessing. But as with a Lv1 skill, the opponent must tell the player they have guessed incorrectly, and then the player may adjust that guess up 2 numbers, or down 2 numbers.
• Skill tests can be automatically adjusted by the Gamemaster, if he deems that the test is for something more difficult, or easier.

1RPS: This type of test means to play a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors against the opponent one time. The winner of this game, is the winner of the test, or succeeds at the test. No skills are involved with this type of test, though this type of test can be used in addition to doing a regular test for certain abilities or situations.

B2/3RPS: This is the same as 1RPS, except the Rock, Paper, Scissors game is played until one player wins 2 tests.

CHANCE or CH in Tests
You’ll notice that with each Character, they have a certain number of CH, that is: Chance. CH allows a player to make a test automatically succeed or fail if they choose. This is declared AFTER the initial test is made. In other words, a test can fail, and the player can say “I want to use 1 Chance to make that test succeed,” and do so.

Taking Time
One thing that should be mentioned, is the ability to Take Time. If the situation allows for it, you can always declare that your Character is taking the proper amount of time to succeed. The Gamemaster can then say that your Character succeeds, or he/she can make your Character test, but use the amount you were off from the TN as the time incriment that you must spend to succeed.

Combat
Below are the various rules for running combat in Armageddon.

Phase 1: Initiative
Phase 2: Test to Hit
Phase 3: Apply Defense Points
Phase 4: Deal Damage

Phase 1: Initiative
The first thing to determine is who goes first. This is done by comparing Initiative or INI scores. The highest INI anyone can have is 12.

Determining Initiative is easy: whoever has the highest, goes first. If there are any ties, they are broken by B2/3RPS. And every five Initiative rounds, you get to take another action.

Example: Your Character has an INI of 9. This means on Initiative round 9 (after 12, 11, and 10), your Character gets to take an action. Five Initiative rounds after that, your Character gets to go again. So on round 4, your Character gets another action. So someone with an INI of 12 gets to go on 12, 7, and 1! That’s three times in one Full Initiative Turn!

Phase 2: Test to Hit
When its your Character’s turn to attack, he/she must test to hit the enemy they’ve chosen to hit. Here is the verbage and method that is used when conducting a test to hit:

CHARACTER: I lash out to strike that orc with my sword! I guess a TN of 5.

GAMEMASTER: (Gets Target Number or TN ready, but does not yet type it in a message). No, that’s not a hit.

CHARACTER: Then I will make a skill adjustment to 6 for my COMBAT1 skill.

GAMEMASTER: The number was 7, you are within 1 and you hit.

There are a few other points to make here about Testing to Hit.
• If you ever choose the TN your opponent has set exactly, that is called a Piercing Strike, and the damage, no matter what type the weapon is, becomes Piercing.
• Combats are meant to go really fast, so don’t worry if both of you go back and fourth several times and continue missing each other. And never underestimate Defending (See What Else Can I Do?)

Phase 3: Apply Defense Points
If your Character’s attack hits the enemy you’ve attacked, you will apply the Defense Points or DP to the damage you deal. DP only are applied to physical attacks with physical things such as weapons. Magic attacks do not take DP into account (unless the Deflect magic skill is used).

DP apply to one physical attack that a defending Character or Monster takes in a an Initiative round. If only one attack strikes them during a round, then the DP apply’s the following round as normal.

Phase 4: Deal Damage
So your Character has struck an enemy with a successful Test to Hit. You’ve removed any DP the enemy has from the DMG, and now you subtract those points from the enemy’s Hit Points or HP.

That enemy may drop to 0 HP. If this happens, he/she is put out of commission for the battle, and is so wounded, that if he/she does not get healing soon, they will die. They are completely helpless, and if they are in combat with a predator hunting them for food, or a cruel and wicked creature that would hack the body to pieces for fun, then they are slain.

If that enemy’s HP drop to the inverse of their maximum HP, then that enemy has been killed outright.

What Else Can I Do?

Defending
Whenever you feel in danger of your Character’s HP falling to 0 or below, you may choose to Defend. In fact, any time you wish, you may choose to Defend.

When a Character defends, he/she takes no other actions on their Initiative round besides the Defense. Anyone attempting to hit someone who is Defending must hit the TN exactly.

If the defending Character has a shield also, then even after their TN is hit exactly, they get an extra 1RPS to try and ward off the blow.

If the defending Character survives, then they gain 1 HP for resting and defending.

Prepare an Attack

You may choose to prepare an attack, so that it will take effect at a later Initiative round. The most useful application of this, is to combine two attacks on one enemy in order to deal damage to it, even though it may have DP that you may not have been able to deal damage through otherwise.

In order to Prepare an Attack, you simply declare that you are doing so and tell the Gamemaster the Initiative round you are waiting for; then make your normal Test to Hit. If you succeed, then your damage is dealt automatically on the Initiative round you’ve chosen it to.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby t_tibke » Thu May 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Ok, here are the two main character cards. Your stats might not mean a great deal to you at the moment, but if you've ever played any sort of RPG, you can probably guess at a few of them. We can talk about these before we begin.

Here also are your character Icons. Please use one of these at the beginning of your posts. Its especially important for me, as I'll be controlling several characters and monsters etc.

Brill
Image "Hi! I'm Brill!"

Core
Image "Hi! I'm Core!"

Image[img]
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Magus » Thu May 18, 2006 2:41 pm

Looks like I'm late to the party, what'd I miss?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby t_tibke » Thu May 18, 2006 4:40 pm

Well Mag's, its like this... I'm going to run a campaign story with rules n' stuff. The characters are pre-made, and it is set in the Armageddon world we talked about.

Taith and SchooltheOld have selected the main two characters, Brill and Core, respectively.

If you want in, that's cool. I have a few other characters that are traditionally NPCs that are pretty major, so another player could play them, though there will be certain things I'll need to PM over to you every once in a while.

Read the Campaign outline thats in the 3rd or 4th post of this thread. Actually, read the whole thread, its not that much (you can skip the Combat Rules though :D )
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby Magus » Thu May 18, 2006 4:50 pm

I'll get cracking mis huevos (Sorry, I felt like adding that word in).

I'll get-a readin'!
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby t_tibke » Fri May 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Um... your eggs?

Cool. Let me know what you think you wanna do, if anything, when you get back Mon.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Map: Araduin

Postby t_tibke » Fri May 19, 2006 1:17 pm

Here's the main Map we'll use for the first half...

Araduin [Northwest]

T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ready To Start

Postby t_tibke » Mon May 22, 2006 9:34 am

I am posting a new topic here that is specifically for the adventures called Armageddon: Dark Paths.

Here are the rules we'll try out for posting:

1. Anything OOC (out of character) will be posted in Itallics, or posted on THIS thread here when discussion needs to take place.

2. The Gamemaster will set up the setting and handle all NPCs (Non Playing Characters) himself, unless an NPC is assigned to another player by the Gamemaster.

3. Whenever a Test of any kind is required by the players, the Gamemaster will put this in Itallics and Brackets like this:
Brill, Core: [Make a Perceive Test by picking a number between 1-7]

4. Whenever a player puts up a number guessed for a test, put it in Itallics and brackets, just the same, along with a Up or Down for the Skill adjustment you would be making (if one needed to be made). [Perceive: 5 Down]

I think that's all that's important right now. Other than that, after this initial post I'm going to make is made, you may request any information OOC or state/pose what you're doing IC (In character)... or both.
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Postby t_tibke » Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:45 pm

Armageddon: Dark Paths has been cancelled, as one of the key players has left. The other player, SchooltheOld, seems to be MIA as well.

If anyone expresses interest in starting one of these campaigns, I am willing to start it up again either right where they left off, or begin anew.

Let me know! :D
T_Tibke
t_tibke
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing