speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Void's Tower and Castle Prose Version

Casual creative writing RP topics where first person/in character participation is the focus instead of classic storytelling.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Void's Tower and Castle Prose Version

Postby Anthentar » Mon May 02, 2005 8:21 pm

Of course it still needs a title, and I am working on it. A title is very important, so I will only accept the best. If you have a suggestion, speak up.

Anyway, for anyone who is confused as to why this is here, I have begun to rewrite the tale unfolding in the thread Void's Tower and Castle, off topic conversations, into a full fledged novel. I will post the pieces here as I complete them. Feedback is appreciated, especially from those involved in the adventure as it unfolds. That means Ariel, Neurolanis, Void and Magus beyond myself

Enjoy
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Anthentar » Mon May 02, 2005 9:00 pm

OK, here is the first chapter so far. The second chapter is complete but needs a bit of revision. I'll get back to you on it. These are going to be short chapters due to the rapid change of characters in the actual story.

The old tower had the smell of death within it. Odd, for its former owner had not left it in such a state. The dark stones were cracked and fragile from old age and cobwebs hung from nearly everything. Void was home.
That was what he called himself, for his real name had been forgotten in ages past. It didn’t matter anyway, it was only a name and he had had many during his lifetimes. He paced back and forth across the dusty tower, the sound of his hard, leather boots striking the stone echoing throughout the room. It wouldn’t be long now.
Void stroked his growing beard as he sat down at last. He had been pacing for what seemed to be hours on end and very little had come out of it. “Things take time to happen,” he would continuously repeat to himself, but after all that time spent waiting and planning under the scrutiny of his peers, he was eager to get underway with his quest. Well, not exactly his quest, but the quest nonetheless.
They had scrutinized every last detail of the plan. They had demanded explanation after explanation as to each of his choices and had reminded him of the ramifications of failure and the possibility of that very thing turning up as a result of even the smallest choice. They worried far too much, but it was a good thing that was not only comforting to all those involved, but wholly necessary given the circumstances and all that was at risk. Just that morning, his former patron had come to the tower to question Void once more about his choice of actions to bring his most reluctant guest to the tower.
“They may come looking for her, you know,” he had told Void as his misty, blue apparition came into being. “I cannot condone your choice of methods. There must have been some other way.”
“Perhaps there was,” Void replied, not in the least bit shocked by the sudden appearance, “but given the time constraints opposing me, there was little choice on my part. The Order has already granted me its approval to go ahead with this and I don’t need you to agree with what I do.”
‘To proceed with it, no you do not,” the warrior-like figure continued, moving to stand near the window, “but for yourself, you would prefer that I agree with you.” The apparition gazed out at the wide country that lay before it. “So much at risk.” Void joined him by the window and smiled at the sight of green grass on rolling hills, trees and shrubs dotting the landscape and the beautiful blue sky with its fluffy white clouds. So much at risk indeed.
“I admit, I would prefer to go ahead with your approval and good wishes,” Void told the ghost that stood beside him, “but it is too late for that. I have already given out the orders necessary for it to begin. I am expecting her very soon and the others will follow soon afterward. I am very sorry if this disappoints you.”
“My boy, you could never disappoint me,” the ghost said in a tone of pride and respect. ‘Although I cannot agree with all of your choices, it is my job not to do so. I know that no matter what occurs, you will find a way to make it work. If you want my approval, you needn’t even ask. You have always had it.”
Void was touched by the comment. “Thank you,” he said lovingly. He had always regarded his patron and mentor as his father and it was a wonderful feeling to have his approval. “I truly needed to hear that.”
“I’m proud of you,” the apparition said as he began to fade away. “Never forget that.”
And he wouldn’t. Even hours after their conversation had ended, the words still rang through is mind, along with many other words of both encouragement and despair. He hated the latter. His mind was besieged by questions about the future, but all of this ended when he heard horses coming along the road.
Even from his height up in the ruined tower he could clearly hear the sound of carriage wheels on the rocks and dirt below. He gazed out the window, down towards the moat and the old bridge that crossed it. There he witnessed over a dozen riders rush across it and behind them rode a beautiful carriage of Imperial Glory from some far off land. She had arrived.
He stepped away from the window and over to a small table and with some quick hand movements and a few short words, a small feast appeared before him. Void would not be going downstairs to greet her. No, she would be welcomed by another… and then another. Yes, things had begun well. His mercenaries would find their pay downstairs, and hopefully they would vacate swiftly, for those yet to come would hold little mercy for them.
Void cut a small piece of beef off a large roast and stuck it into his mouth, chewing on it slowly and absorbing the flavours. He then pulled a large and heavy book out and set it on the table. He flipped through the pages as he ate. There was still much left to do.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become one. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into you." - Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 146
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 4:31 pm

:lol:

What a... novel... idea.

While I don't mind, aren't you worried that some people involved, Void especially, might be a little mad at you writing as their characters? I don't really care, but others might.

Oh, I do have a request. You remember my character in there that bore my name? I'd appreciate it if you didn't use him, at least on the nonsensical person I wrote him at. You can change him, and are free to use Sugam whenever he comes into play, but just not Magus as he was, the guy who threw a dagger in the dragon's eye and then gave him candy from the deepest secluded regions of his pants. It... it's just not what I wish I had done then, thus my doing away with him.

I'll be sure to read what you write, if only to get a better grasp of the story (as I'm a bit cloudy on certain parts of the beginning). It looks good so far. Good luck with this!
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anthentar » Tue May 03, 2005 4:36 pm

I already talked to everyone about it. They have given me the green light and even helped me out as you have

I won't put any of your completley senseless antics into the tale, for you march with heroes, but you may become a bit of comedy relief as Gimli was in Lord of the Rings
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 4:39 pm

Only in the movie he was. In the book he was a forthright and decent character. But, sure, as long as you don't put him in his former... "glory", I'd be fine with it.

So, why didn't you ask me before you went ahead with this? I feel so left out. :cry:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anthentar » Tue May 03, 2005 4:50 pm

I did too ask you. I asked you how you would like to be portrayed and if you had any reservations about it. You gave me a character, so I went ahead with the project. I will post the next short chapter, starring Ariel, very soon
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 4:51 pm

You did? When was this?
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anthentar » Tue May 03, 2005 4:52 pm

I PM'd you a while back about doing this. I spoke with Ariel over MSn about it and PM'd both Void and Neurolanis as well
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 4:55 pm

Hmmmmm... Might this have been that one night when I was up late working on my Hemmingway Paper due the next day? That might explain why I can't seem to remember it. Oh, well. i still don't mind.

:roll:
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Ariel » Tue May 03, 2005 5:26 pm

***I'm proud of you Anthentar!!***I knew I would be when you first told me you were going to write this.Much luck to you in your writing endeavors.I love our little story! :flower:
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby Magus » Tue May 03, 2005 7:05 pm

So I have a question. Is this just a novelization of what happens in the story, or is this something merely inspired by it (using the same characters) or is this a spin-off or what? I'm just wondering.
Magus
Writer Extraordinaire
Writer Extraordinaire

Postby Anthentar » Wed May 04, 2005 12:43 pm

It's pretty much a strait novelization of the story, although I have to make some changes. The beginning is all messed up and as you pointed out, you end up doing somethings that should be left out. But it is the same story
Anthentar
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Next

Return to Role Playing