Hello, SV

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

starweaver
Just Registered
Just Registered

Hello, SV

Post by starweaver »

Greetings all! I've been around here for a couple months, but haven't yet introduced myself, so here I go.

I'm 47, male, and married. I have one daughter, who is 13. I work as a radiation protection manager at Los Alamos National Laboratory. My educational background is in physics and astronomy. I live in Tesuque, New Mexico, a small village near Santa Fe.

As a child and teenager, I was totally immersed in fantasy and science fiction; I never let up reading the stuff: Asimov, Clarke, Niven, LeGuin, Tolkien . . . I started writing then, too, but never managed to get a story published. (Truthfully, I wasn't terribly persistent, nor did I do much to improve my writing - I figured if I knew punctuation and grammar and had an idea I liked, that was it.)

I've continued to write off and on, strictly as a hobby, sharing time with other hobbies: RPGs, tarot, studying and inventing languages, art, and more. I delight in world creation, and for many years, this was more satisfying to me than actually writing stories. I tend to start lots of projects and move on to something else before I finish them. I did manage to publish a book on tarot, thanks to the prodding of my co-author!

I'm Pagan, although my ritual practice has ebbed in recent years. It's a spiritual orientation that harmonizes well with my love of speculative fiction, fantasy in particular.

Recently, with encouragement from my wife, I've returned to fiction writing, this time taking it seriously and with the mindset of doing what it takes to become published and productive. I'm working on a novel (first of three planned), and also producing short stories to submit to magazines, one per month being my goal.

I joined this community because I find being around others who share my interests is a good way to keep the creative juices flowing and stay immersed in the world of writing sf and fantasy. I also joined hobgoblin.net, but it seems much less active than SV.

Tom

Merle
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Re: Hello, SV

Post by Merle »

Welcome to SV, Tom! Live long and prosper!
Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me.

Qray

Post by Qray »

Welcome to SV, Tom.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Welcome to Speculative Vision, Tom!

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

:welcome:

Look forward to seeing some of your stories!

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Nice to meet you Tom!