*Knock knock*

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

*Knock knock*

Post by Neurolanis »

Wow, Speculative Vision! It’s been a while!

This site will always have a weird kind of sentimental aura for me. It was one of the very first forums I ever joined, if not the first. I made good friends here, some I’ll probably have for life. I loved the friendly, polite and positively helpful character of the site. If I seemed to rebel, it was nothing personal and certainly nothing against the site. I always had a rebellious spirit, but I’ve learned the art of subtly a bet better as time has gone on.

I’ll always remember the old SV; the old black and green. It felt so original. I somehow felt freer here than on other sites, as if it was safer somehow to discuss ‘speculative’ issues where ordinarily you didn't. I loved contributing regularly to the Paranormal subject. I was also proud to contribute Lycoria to SV, although I myself got distracted by other things. It was a joy to write and post short stories for SV, and I wonder if having them removed was a mistake. Oh well. I was lured away from SV by sites with heavier subject matter, unrelated to writing.

The good times I had here, I could never forget. The interesting people. Conversations. SV helped me with issues in regards to my book (which I am still struggling to get published,) and encouraged me to believe in myself and to keep going. That is more helpful than the cynical criticisms I’ve found on other websites. Some sites are what I call ‘negative vacuums’ (they’re full of failed writers with big, bruised egos who are looking for people to take their anger out on.) But that’s not the answer; positive energy is. That’s why SV was such a help to me and will always have a place in my heart.

Came in to say hi, miss you all, and I hope you’re all doing well.

Peace. :alien:

Neuro.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: *Knock knock*

Post by Bmat »

Oh Neurolanis! What a sweet thing to say. You have been missed.

It is great to see you again. What is going on in your life?

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Good to see you, Bmat. :D

Well, besides trying to get published, I have been struggling to stay afloat in the recession/depression we're going through. Right now I am looking pretty shaggy, because I will be an extra in a local film production at the end of the month. They asked me not to shave or cut my hair. I'm used to being clean-cut, so this is a little different for me. :lol: But it should be fun, and it will be nice to have the extra cash.

I am about to quit the job I currently have, for multiple reasons, the largest one being that I have not gotten any pay for almost 2 months and I do not know when (if ever) I may get my money, since the business appears to be going under. The employer is in denial because he has everything invested in his company, and if it went under he would lose everything. But I have to get out, he's way too difficult to work for, the work is way too toxic, and I'd hate to spend all these long, hard hours working there and not get any pay for it. He's a major liar and I do not trust him.

So, everything's really up in the air for me right now. I am thinking of publishing stories online along with other unpublished writers. I am getting tired of editors and agents telling me how good my writing is, and then telling me that my stories aren't for them. They want me to write for their particular taste or style, but that's not the way I write (I never know what a story will be until it's finished.) Maybe if I publish online, the right person will 'find' me.

Hope everything is good with you, Bmat. I know lot of people are struggling right now.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I'm very sorry to hear about your job. I went through something like that once. I stayed too long hoping it would change but in the end I never did get paid. I hope you are already looking for a new job because given what you said about him I wouldn't hold out much hope that he will do the right thing.

I'm glad you aren't giving up on your writing despite rejections. Never forget there are thousands of others just like you submitting work and only a very small number get into print. You will hear a lot of noes before you hear that yes! Never give up on your passion for writing, and never forget to do it because you love it first and foremost.

An electronic book publisher might be a good thing to try. Their costs are much smaller so they can be more flexible on what they accept. If you can sell your work in any format that says something to publishers and if they see you selling ebooks they will know that you do indeed have an audience.

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Good luck, Neuro. I am sorry to hear about your lack of being paid. Try to have a job before you quit your present one- at least this is what I've heard. I would think it would hold true if there is a chance that you can get paid.

I quit my job of 24 years as of this coming January. It isn't something I ever thought I'd do, but the people in charge have gotten really nasty to work for, and it appears that it is a personal thing towards me. I have been unhappy and stressed for too long, so I'm outa there. I have my husband's income, so there is money coming in, and I'll be watching for job openings.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Thanks, The Master. I'm sorry about the way that I left before. I don't really know why I was so upset like that, and wish I hadn't stormed out the way I did. But anyway, like I say, I really do appreciate SV and I will never forget it or the people here. I can't give up on publishing, it's my dream (a little bit of self-motivational talk here. :lol:) I'm considering different possibilities, but likely I will be publishing online to build a name for myself. I think I will be doing a sort of e-zine site, or something similar. It's been a dream of mine that if I were to become a bestselling author, that I'd publish a magazine to help talented, unpublished writers. But recently the thought occurred to me, I could do that online now, and actually help kick-start my own career that way as well. Hopefully.

Wow, sorry to hear that, Bmat. I guess a lot of us have gone through these same problems. In my case, I was only with the company for six months. But of course the financial uncertainties still weigh on you. In my case, I don’t have kids to feed and I have family that won’t let me starve, so I know I’ll survive.

Hope everything works out for all of us.

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

I appreciate the apology, but honestly its never been that big a deal. Sure I get upset at the time something happens but I've never been one to hold a grudge and I've always been more about what is happening now than what happened then. Bottom line is you are always welcome here :)

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Well, well, well, look what the cat dragged in. LOL Hmmmm, did I not tell you that you would regret your decision to leave here? Uh huh, yes I did. :lol:

Great to see you back Neuro!! You had much to offer here. You were one of the first people I started to follow around the boards and made me want to join. :D

I have been out of a job a year this month!! I know how you feel in that aspect. Sorry B'mat that you had to quit your job, but if you wern't happy I can understand.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Thanks, The Master. I appreciate that. :D

Of course I know you very well, Ariel. Thanks for the welcome. :mrgreen:

Qray

Post by Qray »

WB, Neuro. I hope your luck turns for the better.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Neurolanis
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Neurolanis »

Thank you, Rray. Good to see you again. :)

FantasyMan
Adept Scribe
Adept Scribe

Post by FantasyMan »

Neuro! Good to see you. I actually just dropped by again to see what was happening myself.
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself"

-Franklin D. Roosevelt

R.I.P Aldan we know now, that you are in a better place