Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Havoc has a tiger...eye.

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

who me wrote:ariel, he sounds like a goth to me. you know long word's and impressed with himself. (being mean to ariel could get you "blessed")

Get to know me before making statements like that.

It's great to hear this is a friendly community, it's great to hear people have been tamed. I, however, do not need taming. I was merely stating that in my opinion, one is not a friend by default or when you know someones (nick-name). Friendship is earned over a longer period than a week.
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

I know.I was kidding.I was being playful. :sorry:

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Ariel wrote:Havoc has a tiger...eye.

Not anymore.....wonder where it went.......?

Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Manji »

I thought Havoc's first post was merely playful banter with Ariel, nothing to hit him on the head with a stick about. :wink:
Alright, Havoc, you won't be a friend. You'll be an associate.
Ariel, don't apologize for being cute and friendly. It's a good quality and one of the reasons we keep you around. I don't think Havoc really had a problem with it.
Who_Me, generalizations are the crutch of the weak minded or the staple of hack comedians.
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Thanks Manji! :wink:

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Post by Bmat »

Havoc wrote:Seriously though, I find it's a common infliction among net-users to give people they've never met and only read two or three posts of the same status as that person that they've known for years now, who saved their lives at one point or another and knows more about them then their own mother.

Or maybe I'm just a grumpy fellow with distorted and impossibly high views on friendship.

What Havoc says is reasonable.

However, being friends and being friendly, they are not the same thing. We can call each other friends here without knowing much about each other. But when does one really know another person? Through long association, perhaps, and intimate discussion. What we write here may not reflect our true selves. On the other hand, when write here in support and in play with each other, a bond is formed. It may not be a bond of friends as we know friends in the Real World. But it is a bond of caring about each other. I care about the members here, even those I don't always agree with. Some members come here for the serious discussions, others come for just the play. In the end, there is interaction, and we come away from the interaction changed, one way or the other.

There is common ground at a site such as this, so it is not the same as two strangers meeting. Those who come here speak English, can read, have access to the Internet, can type, are usually interested in sf or fantasy or science, are interested in talking with other people with similar interests. So if friendships seem to form more quickly here, it may be because the relationship is already advanced compared to strangers meeting in RL. Furthermore, frequently people come to a site such as this expecting to be friendly and to make friends. This is a pleasant aspect of such a site, in particular SV, which is a small and friendly community.

So those who deny being a friend are within their rights.

On a side subject, something that we must avoid is making generalizations, especially negative or derogatory generalizations about a member in the posts. We should not do this any more than we would make such a comment in front of an acquaintance in RL. This is made as general comment and is not directed at Havoc, by the way.
Last edited by Bmat on Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manji
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Manji »

Just wondering, Havoc. . . .
Why'd you leave SV in the first place?
"Wait, you're telling me Jesus Christ threw up the horns?"-Tycho
"Yeah, man. jesus is F'in Metal"-Gabe

"The road to happiness is paved with a healthy nicotine addiction and aversion to clean air."- Niego.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

I was just trying to be friendly and playful.Good grief charlie Brown!Havoc,come back!I didn't mean anything bad!

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

I always want to be friend.....being friendly is nice.....

Even if I don't agree with people.....and they don't agree with me.....

Havoc
Site Regular
Site Regular

Post by Havoc »

sheeesj, calm down everyone.

First, Manji was correct. My earliest comments on the subject were as playful as the replies it got. Until Who_me that is. But enough about him.

Ariel, don't stop being cute on my account.

Dark Knight, I tend to change pictures a lot.

Bmat, ehm....... I know all about friendships through internet. I was referring to the length of time, not the environment.

Manji, I left SV a looooong time ago. Back when I wasn't calling myself Havoc either. And I left because I was closing a particular chapter of my life and had gotten bored by Jared's adventure.

All:
No man overboard. No man overboard. Friendly, fine! Call me hunnybun or lover for all I care, I was just trying to make a point!!!!
It's the pacing mate.... PACING!!!

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Hi Havoc