Newbie in many ways...

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

MarthaManning
Just Registered
Just Registered

Newbie in many ways...

Post by MarthaManning »

Hello all, just a quick hello and a little about myself.

I am new to the site and to writing. I have always been a fan of sci fi and fantasy books and always have a book on the go. I don't have any post secondary courses or degrees but have always wanted to write but lacked what I considered to be a good idea. I was recently inspired by the twilight phenomenon (yeah, yeah, I know it's for teenage girls-which I am not- but every once in a while a little cotton candy can be good for you). So I put pen to paper (literally) and wrote my first book. Now that I've edited as much as is healthy (both for me and my novel) I am looking for resources/advice/support in getting in print.

I am also working on my next book as well (now that the juices are flowing I don't want to stop) another fantasy but to do with dark angels instead of vampires.

So there ya go. Hello!

Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Re: Newbie in many ways...

Post by Bmat »

Hello, MarthaManning!

Welcome to Speculative Vision. Congratulations on your book!

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by The Master »

We like newbies :)

Maybe you can post a teaser from your book so we can get an idea of your style.

Be sure to check out the writing related listings in our Science Fiction and Fantasy Resource Network

Qray

Post by Qray »

Welcome to SV, Martha!
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Hmmm, Martha Manning sounds like a famous author's name. :D Nice to meet you Martha! Welcome to S.V.!!

M.Blaekr
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by M.Blaekr »

I, myself, am new as of 30 minutes ago. :D

From what I researched for publication, the best shot seems to be to search for trusted agents. They typically stick to one or two genres, so if you are writing a dark fantasy, look for an agent who typically looks at fantasy works. Otherwise, I'm sure there are agents that will look at anything (you might have a better shot in that case, as if you submit to a fantasy-focused person then you'd have to do better than most other books, and that will reduce the chances of your publication. It depends on your confidence, though).

After that, they'll do what they can to get it to a publication company.

There are many other ways but they require a bit of finesse. For example, the guy who wrote Eragon (I hate the guy, but he knew how to promote his books) got his printed on his own then went around to schools in a jester's outfit promoting the importance of writing and reading to growing kids. Sure enough, someone big took notice and picked his book off the shelf and bam... now we have the fantasy rip off of Star Wars. :D

Anyways. Try googling "How to publish a book," you'll get many more results than from me, and much more in depth.

Good luck, and congratulations (it better be less glowy glowy sparkly sparkly than Twilight otherwise I'll keel ju).

KarenW
Just Registered
Just Registered

Post by KarenW »

Hi Martha,
I am new to this site too, and want to extend a welcome to you!
KarenW

Qray

Post by Qray »

Welcome to SV, Martha!
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.