Your opinon please - self publish or not?

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

KarenW
Just Registered
Just Registered

Your opinon please - self publish or not?

Post by KarenW »

Hello fellow writers,
What is your opinion on the publishing question? Is it better to pitch to known publishers and wait for their replies, or just self-publish right from the start? I'm interested in hearing your experiences and opinions.
Thanks!

The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Your opinon please - self publish or not?

Post by The Master »

I think it depends on what you are trying to have published, but in general I favor submitting to see what happens. After all, the worst that can happen is they say no!

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Keep in mind that many famous authors have been turned down initially, so don't be discouraged. Keep at it! :D

Qray

Post by Qray »

If you're looking to get a manuscript published, a good Publisher does a lot for their money. Helping to decide which of your works is the best to publish, editing, design, art direction, copy-editing, managing production, distribution, sales (bookstores, libraries, and schools,) marketing and promotion, etc.

If you self-publish, a lot of that is left up to you. Just the amount of work would be enough to consider submitting a manuscript query (or proposal) to a good publisher. Whether you have an agent or not.

Also, generally Publishers know how to do this better as...well...it's their job. And you can always fall back to self-publishing if you don't get satisfaction from a Publisher.
I'm going to die the way I've lived...poor, screaming, and naked.