speculative visionscience fiction and fantasy

Bout time I registered.... XD

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderators: Bmat, Qray

Bookmark and Share

Bout time I registered.... XD

Postby NF01 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:29 pm

Hey everyone, I've been creeping around this forum for tips and ideas for a long time now, and I've always been in such a hurry that I haven't taken the time to register. Well, here I am.

I like long walks on the beach, candle-lit dinners and, occasionally, a snugglebunny on a cold night. That is, in fiction. Here in real life, if I weren't constantly bothered by things like utility bills, work and the [ridiculous] need to stop everything so I can eat, I'd love to do nothing but sit at my computer and finish my story. That'd be awesome. =]

<Sigh> The real world doesn't accommodate starving artists, does it? XD

I have my Associates in biology and continue to pursue my education, and my stories reflect it. I wouldn't necessarily say I write fantasy, but definitely science fiction. Er, that is, in literal terms. Fiction based around science. Usually I write about some plague or another, a couple post-apocalyptic journeys, medical thrillers, thesis papers, stuff like that.

Tolkein is beyond my favorite, he's my mentor. As a kid, my dad read me LOTR and The Hobbit each night before bed, and I've read them about a hundred times since. I admire Tolkein's eccentricity, devotion... Blah, blah. I could go on forever. I <3 him, that's it. =^.^=

On the other hand, I greatly respect Richard Preston for his dedication, and Augusten Burroughs for his wonderful cynicism. I can't stand Edgar A Poe or Shakespeare, but that's just due to personal preference. I'd explain why, but, just as I won't describe how I truly feel about Stephanie Meyer and 'Twilight,' I'll keep all that to myself because I know there are those who do like it.

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. I'm a twenty-something female with, so far, a more frustrating and useless passion than a fulfilling one. I don't have much to contribute, I really only wanted to thank everyone for the advice I've been stealing. So, thanks! I'll be pitching in what I can. See y'all around. <3 XD
NF01
Just Registered
Just Registered

Re: Bout time I registered.... XD

Postby The Master » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:44 pm

Welcome to SV! :)

A biology background should provide a lot of great creative ideas.
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Bmat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:03 am

Welcome to Speculative Vision!

I agree that knowledge of biology should add interesting ideas to sf stories. Some of my favorite sf is about various climates and how the inhabitants have adapted both physically and mentally.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby NF01 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:21 pm

That's awesome! I have a story based around that, actually, about an expedition group that studies ecological effects of natural disasters. Like tsunamis, volcanic eruptions, etc. It's a lot of fun to play around with. And studying diseases is my favorite part. Like, have you guys ever played Fallout? (I'll bet that's a dumb question lol) Can you imagine how rampant disease would be in a world similar to Fallout? Or, Prototype? I'm just trying to think of examples, here, but that's the kind of thing I like to do - create alternate worlds, plague the inhabitants, back it up with tons of fact and then kind of do a mock-study on how that world's civilization survives. Those are the kinds of stories I like to read, too. Idk why, I just find it way interesting.
NF01
Just Registered
Just Registered

Postby Bmat » Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 pm

Are you familiar with James White's books? Hospitals that dealt with people with very different biological needs.
Bmat
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Blog: View Blog (10)

Postby Golden Knight » Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:59 pm

Hello, I just passing through...

my passion is now elsewhere...
My Site: God's Golden Knight, Learn about God's Love

{Formerly "Dark Knight" at these forums}
Golden Knight
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby The Master » Tue May 01, 2012 1:56 am

GK doesn't love us any more :(
The Master
Site Admin
Site Admin

Blog: View Blog (2)
Art: View My Art Gallery

Postby Golden Knight » Tue May 01, 2012 4:53 pm

I do not mean my love was elsewhere, as one of the faith in Christ, my love is for all, my passion is now for Christ, and God.
My Site: God's Golden Knight, Learn about God's Love

{Formerly "Dark Knight" at these forums}
Golden Knight
Site Regular
Site Regular

Postby Ariel » Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh, Sorry I'm late. WELCOME!!!!!! :D
Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Blog: View Blog (3)