Hey Everyone!

Introduce yourself to the community.

Moderator: Bmat

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

If genuine talent generated revenue, fake and imposed consuming needs en masse driving to debt would be an unnecessary practice – Advertising is the only sector of Industry where genuine talent is nowadays of any use.

"If genuine talent generated revenue..."

In some ways, it does, but only in some ways. There are lots of different types of 'talent'. One of those is the talent to write entertainingly. Another is to write coherently. Another to develop stories (note the plural) that work together to create a huge overreaching storyline for a series of books. Still another is to be a 'personality' and so be great advertisement for your own works. HP's author, Rowling, started as a 'faceless' author, in that both she and the publisher were afraid to put forth the fact that she was a SHE when '...Sorcerer's Stone' was published. However, now she is very well known to be a female author, and has become wonderful advertising for her novels, which only helps the publisher (and, by helping the publisher, helping the author).

Now, entertaining writing helps to sell novels for some readers, while other readers look for coherency or for overreaching coherency. Some readers won't read a new author until they've put out several novels. Still others will only read the 'popular' styles, the 'current' fads. There is a lot to look at when speaking of what drives book sales. Movies can and usually will drive the sales of novels, but generally it's only when the novel was put out before the film, and the novel isn't 'based upon the script'.

As far as advertising being the only place where talent is of use, well, I'd have to disagree. Why? See the above paragraphs.

Generally, talent will help to sell a novel, but only after some consumers have read that novel and seen just how good it is. That causes the 'word of mouth' advertising to work its magic, which is how that sort of magic works. Consumers, if they have read/seen/heard/used something that they loved or hated, they will feel the need to tell someone about it, and that communication is the most effective type used. Thus, talent can and often will drive sales if that talent was used in a way that creates an entertaining read for the particular reader.

Now, as a side note, libraries and used book stores can and will help to sell books for authors (that will help the authors to make money) if the consumers there are willing to... 1) Use the used books/library books to check out new authors and such. 2) Use the used book store/library as a way to 'wet the tongue' with an author's work without ONLY using the used book store as the place to purchase books or the library as the only place to get books from.
"It is better to keep your mouth shut and to appear stupid than
to open it and remove all doubt."
---Mark Twain

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Well I have brought new books, sometimes a book will be on sale.... other times the book will end up amongst the cheap books for $5 NZ, at this price they are a bit cheaper than used...Of course it is old stock that is not selling, but if the story sounds good, and or by a known author, or a author who I think is good then I buy.. you can get a cheap book new sometimes...

Second hand shops have books that are not in the local book stores, these may be older books that they do not stock anymore...or books that they have decide not to stock...

Also my local book shops do not have a large section of Fantasy, in fact one chain has can't back on their fantasy section... :(

I know that small local book shops don't have the space to stock all the books that say Borders does, this is were second Hand shops come in hand....

Any decent big book store like Borders, which has a large fantasy section last time I looked, is to far away, we current have two Borders stores in Auckland, and both are to far away... I would have to drive, {and parking in the city is expenisive} or take a expenisve bus trip....{or very long walk}

As for gasoline, we have large taxes over here, in NZ, that is why it is expensive and now they want to up it, in Auckland to pay for Rail, where did the surplus go that the goverment in NZ has? :? :roll:

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

And that is part of the reason why I've been riding bicycles for the majority of the last 5 years....
---Mark Twain

who me
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by who me »

pim falls of her chair. Aldan and pim have something in common.
i bicycle everywhere, or walk.
that was actually a good point used book stores carrying out of print books and things that are not main stream.
I like used book stores for another reason. used book stores are a small business run by people who love books and love to read.
most will get to know there customers and will be able to recommend books you may like, or warn you of books that will not be to your taste.

in one of the big chains all to often the sales people are just sales people who happen to be selling book's.
they do not know there customers all that well, if at all.
the big chain stores also do not order a book form a obscure publisher in a unpopular topic.
what do you mean, you do not have a book on norse mythology and its influence on lord of the rings?

Llew
True Visionary
True Visionary

Post by Llew »

I agree pim, I like the used book stores better. They smell nice!
“I Speak Spanish to God, Italian to Women, French to Men, and German to My Horse” - Charles V, King of Spain and Holy Roman Emperor, 1500–58

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Hey, I used to work at a used book store! I do know of which you speak, and I like to think that I also know of which I speak. The used book stores often DO smell nice, or at least nice to a person who loves old books. Most of the owners of those stores are people who are librarians at heart, in that they love books, love to read, and want to share what they so enjoy. They LOVE to discuss their favorite books and what the customer-readers have found that they really love in the books that the owners themselves love.

I also love the feeling of discovery when I find a book that I've not read before, or one that completes a series or whatever. Magellan!
---Mark Twain

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

Happy goes with Monday?? What planet are you on??? :?
---Mark Twain

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »

Well normally Mondays suck but hey look at those adorable bears! Can't help but to smile. What? :?

aldan
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by aldan »

My problem is that I just can't 'bear' Mondays!
---Mark Twain

Dark Knight
Artisan Wordsmith
Artisan Wordsmith

Post by Dark Knight »

Monday was a Holiday.....over here in NZ.... :)

but now it's Tuesday.... back to work... :(

Ariel
Resident Author
Resident Author

Post by Ariel »